Notebook doesn't open where I ended

Rick-at-Fox

In Old Penultimate, a notebook would open on the last page I wrote on. New Penultimate doesn't. I sometimes have dozens of pages of notes and don't want to scroll through all the pages. Any solution? Am I missing a setting? I'm on the verge of switching apps, as much as I want Penultimate to work.

This sounds like a bug; notes are supposed to open to the last page viewed, and there is not an option in settings to disable this. If you can reproduce it in the latest version (6.1.2), I've got some questions that might help us debug it:

1. Is your app set to horizontal or vertical scrolling?

2. Is your note in portrait or landscape orientation?

3. Does the note always open to the first page, some other specific page, or a random page?

4. Does the thumbnail match the page it opens to, and if not, what page does it show?

5. Does this behavior occur only on specific notes, only on existing notes, or on all new and existing notes?

Thanks for reporting this issue!

I'm using 6.1.2

1. I'm set to vertical scrolling

2. I take notes in portrait orientation

3. My notes don't always open to the first page. 

4. Yes, each thumbnail matches the page it opens.

5. It was happening on all my new notes; I haven't gone back to my notes from the old Penultimate. 

I've been opening and navigating notes to see what happens, and today they seem to be opening on the last page I was looking at. Perhaps the glitches have resolved somehow...

I'll be sure to post if I encounter the issue again.

On a related note, is there a way to prevent Penultimate from returning to the "home" screen when I switch apps? I sometimes am looking at another app and switching back to take notes, and have to navigate from home, to new notes, to the selected notes - and I used to then have to navigate to the end of that note.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I too am having this issue. I take notes all day in my job as Customer Service. I intended to keep a folder for June, another for July, another folder for August, etc. I have ~54 pages in July. Everytime my phone rings, I open my iPad Pro, Penultimate and it always opens on Page 33--- so I have to hurry up and get to page 50, 51, 52, 53---  while my customer is talking until I can write down their name, company, calling about, etc... 

Hoping I can get it to work to open to the last page I viewed...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also am having this issue. I will have a note open and double-tap my iPad Pro to quickly check data from another app (mail, CRM, etc.) that relates to the note, and when I double-tap back to Penultimate, the note is on a random page in the middle.  It is an odd behavior and very frustrating to constantly have to scroll to the bottom to get going again.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem as well and am considering a different product entirely.  Is it possible that Evernote considers it a "feature" and never intends to fix it?  Evernote, please respond to your dissatisfied customers.  It's been over a year now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes; me too.  Very irritating, and seems like it must be a bug that can be fixed.  It's a shame that no-one from Evernote team has bothered to comment on this thread, given how many have reported same issue for some months now.  Please can you fix this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Same issue here. Reported to Evernote months ago, acknowledged as a bug but not fixed yet. Am moving on shortly...

short term fix fix though is to end a note taking session by going to the multiple page view. Not ideal but does make the app usable 

• 4 months later...

End of May 2017 and I still get this issue.  I switched from GoodNotes given the integration Penultimate has in syncing with Evernote, but this issue is serious bugging enough to want to switch back.  Having to go back into the multi-page view and back again is too hard when the document gets quite large.

• 1 month later...

3 July, still happening. 

I'm taking notes on Penultimate and this is constantly happening.

To reproduce the bug [ Ipad Pro 12.9 32GB, latest current version on Apple Store: 6.2.1 (28 Jun) ]

• Document with 30 pages in total
  • Select thumbnails view
  • Select last page 30
  • Draw something
  • Switch off ipad Screen
  • Switch on -> page 23 again

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using Penultimate on a daily basis for over 5 years now and constantly have major frustrations with this issue. Given evernote have done nothing to fix it (after reading the comments above) I've decided to a daily tweet comment directed at them to resolve the issue... but given evernote haven't done anything about it since 2015 i'm not holding my breath...

• 8 months later...
5 minutes ago, Andrew Robertson said:

Any progress on this yet?

I am trying to keep a hand written work journal but as I flick between email, safari etc but when I swap back to penultimate it’s never where I left it making it almost unusable

I haven’t received any correspondence from Evernote about this issue other than them saying they know it’s an issue. 

My best advice is to ditch Penultimate. Evernote obviously don’t care about providing a robust note taking application, otherwise they would have fixed this issue by now. 

For reference, I now use Goodnotes and absolutely love it. It has much more capabilities than penultimate and with their auto backup feature I basically have a constant up to date pdf copy of all of my documents on the cloud for access at any time. 

The iCloud sync function does struggle once you get over a certain size in your documents but it’s not a critical part to the apps function when you can still back up manually and also have it export a updated pdf for all documents automatically. 

The pen isn’t as good as penultimate but that fact that the app works outways this issue for me. 

• 3 weeks later...

I cant believe Evernote hasn't fixed this issue when its been documented for YEARS! I switched from good notes because I love the evernote sync, but I cant see staying if they can’t fix such a basic and obvious bug. Its too bad because penultimate beats all the other notebook apps...besides this huge UX problem. Fix it already!!!

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, worldfamousmark@gmail.com said:

Is there a way to contact Evernote (phone number?) to complain? Would love to get them to respond to this known issue.  So frustrating. 

There are two methods to contact Evernote

All Accounts     Twitter @evernotehelps    

Paid Accounts  Contact Evernote Support 

Archived