Identifying which notes are shared

Hi,

Maybe this has already been answered but I couldn't find it by doing a search in the past forum threads.

Anyway, after you share a note with somebody, there seems to be a lack of any indication that the note is now shared. I think you should also be able to list all of the shared notes - like it is just another tag. The thing I am worried about, is after sharing the tag today, what is there to alert you in a few weeks or months later when you go to update the note and potentially put private thoughts in the note, thinking that it is not shared?

Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Hi.  You're correct that it's not easy to tell which notes or notebooks are shared.  It is possible to search by " sharedate:* " which will give you some useful information,  but I tend to share by notebooks mainly,  so give that notebook a suitable title;  and on the relatively few occasions I've shared notes,  I move them into a 'Shared' notebook so I know which ones to be careful of.  I was mainly concerned not to delete or move them by mistake,  which would have ended the share rather suddenly;  and it allows me to tell someone that I've updated a note if it's of relevance to them..

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...

I like the separate notebook idea. I'll also try the "sharedate:*" search. I don't share a lot of notes, but occasionally like to know which ones I've shared. It's usually for short term use.

I guess you could tag the note "shared" when you share it so you'll have a full list of shared notes that way, but you have to remember to tag it.

I was looking for the same information as the OP. 

• Like 3
  • Level 5

I stopped sharing my Evernotes when I realized I had over 800 shared notes. I started wondering about security. 

It is easy to find the shared notes with sharedate:* , but a pain in the butt to remove the share feature. 

The procedure I follow seems really dumb, especially the turn on / turn off Public Link steps. But I have not found an easier and shorter method. It has to be done individually in Evernote Windows.

• Find notes with sharedate:*
  • Right Click on the title (Note List panel)
  • Modify Sharing
  • Click Enable Public Link (turn on) - this step really seems assbackwards and unsafe
  • [EDIT - newer verision allows turn off feature - much more logical]
  • Click Enable Public Link (turn off)
  • Stop Sharing Note
  • Close
  • Repeat

Is there an easier or safer method?

• Like 5
  • Level 5*

Thanks for posting this.  I never share notes so I tried this expecting no hits and found three notes.  No idea how or why they were shared and I agree that the step to first enable public link and then disable is completely unintuitive.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Timo Haukilahti said:

How about this then: One guy left one project. What is the easiest and fastest way to find notes shared with him (for unsharing)?

It's easily possible to find all notes shared to others - see above - it's not so easy to find notes shared to a specific person,  unless that project notebook was shared to email addresses.  If there's a project notebook,  try Modify Sharing and remove the email address of the person you wish to lock out...

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Thanks for this, jbenson2.  That is really helpful.

I am still searching for a way to (a) find who I shared a notebook with and (b) how to stop sharing a notebook.

To gazumped: I have notebooks that have the icon to say they are shared, but when I use Modify Sharing on the notebook, no email addresses show up. So any suggestions about how to answer my questions above pls?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, ggrinton said:

any suggestions about how to answer my questions above pls?

Hi.  Always useful to know what OS you're operating in - Windows or Mac?  

It's possible to share both notebooks and individual notes,  and AFAIK,  a note added to a shared notebook will automatically become shared.  It's also possible to share to individuals - by email address - and publicly by URL.  IME using some external services (something like,  but not necessarily,  IFTTT) may also cause the notes to show as 'shared'.  (I had that issue a while ago,  so it may no longer be a problem...)

If a note (or notebook) has been shared -

• by email,  you can verify who that is because the details will come up in the 'modify sharing' dialogue.  
  • publicly,  then the same dialogue will show a long URL,  and the public share can be cancelled.
  • because it was created or edited or is otherwise available via a third party application,  you may need to remove the permission for that app to have access to your database.  Log in here to revoke access if necessary.

If none of the above fixes the issue,  then changing the note's UID will do it - just create a new note,  copy the content across and delete the original.  That UID may remain shared,  but there's no note on the end of it!

Hope some of that helps...

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5*
30 minutes ago, Timo Haukilahti said:

I ended up using always tag "SHARED" when I share a note. Not very ideal solution but it works well. Now they are found fast and easy.

Good idea assigning a tag
n case you missed tagging any notes, I would use multiple terms in the search      
any:   tag:Shared   sharedate:*

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • Level 5*
16 minutes ago, stocky2605 said:

'sharedate' is no longer a search argument in Evernote, right?

sharedate is valid as search argument; tested on a Mac and iPad

ah, OK let‘s see what I‘m doing wrong.

In the search field I enter „sharedate:*“ (searching on iPad within „all notes“). I only get 2 unshared Notes, while my 4 shared Notes are not shown.

Any hint?

Thank you, Kind Refards, Klaus

• 1 year later...

Thanks evansc22, the "sharedate:*" suggestion was terrific. I'm curious where you found out about that functionality in the first place. As stocky2605 indicates, it's not readily available in any of the recent Evernote documentation. Is this potentially deprecated? Is there a more exhaustive list out there somewhere beyond: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828 and https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php?

• Like 1
On 9/23/2015 at 11:26 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  You're correct that it's not easy to tell which notes or notebooks are shared.  It is possible to search by " sharedate:* " which will give you some useful information,  but I tend to share by notebooks mainly,  so give that notebook a suitable title;  and on the relatively few occasions I've shared notes,  I move them into a 'Shared' notebook so I know which ones to be careful of.  I was mainly concerned not to delete or move them by mistake,  which would have ended the share rather suddenly;  and it allows me to tell someone that I've updated a note if it's of relevance to them..

@gazumpedsharedate:* is amazing - I didn't find this in https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php#Formal_Search_Grammar - do I miss some documentation about search terms? where did you find it? Thanks in advance.

I also looked into https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828-How-to-use-Evernote-s-advanced-search-syntax

• Level 5*

Hi

3 hours ago, stocky2605 said:

where did you find it?

After 5 years I couldn't really tell you.  It does (or did) pop up on a developers' page as:

To search for all of the shared notes in a user’s account, we need to create a NoteFilter object and set its words member to sharedate:* (indicating that the note is shared and we don’t care when). Here’s a function that retrieves all of the shared notes in a user’s account (up to an arbitrary maximum of 500 notes):

- That's from https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/note-sharing.php

Plus its been mentioned many times by various people in the forums...

• Thanks 1
  • 11 months later...

Hi, I think, I finally found a solution to the sharing problem. I randomly tried different combinations and came across this one (sharedwith:*) that seems to work correctly. You can save this search and name it something like: "Notes shared with others"  and you are good to go :) 

• 1 month later...

This worked to unshare all shared notes (using Evernote Legacy v 7.14):

1. Searched in All Notes
  2. Selected them all (used ⌘A in Mac)
  3. Right clicked in the list and selected "Unshare Public Link"
  4. Every note took a couple of seconds to be unshared but finally the list was empty
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  Will try that on Windows 6.25 later.  In my v10 (Linux Beta) "sharedwith:*" gave me 45 hits.  "sharedate:*" gave me more than 10,000 and the options I had after selecting a few notes as a trial did not include any 'unshare' options... :(

• Level 5

In my case sharedwith results in more than 1.000 hits, sharedate finds 90% less. From validating I see that sharedwith is pretty good, but it has missed a few notes that popped up in sharedate. Sharedate maybe misses all notes where the notebook is shared, not the note itself.

My conclusion: No one will show all shares, and both produce false positives. Maybe there is a flag still set even after a share was revoked.