Default capture mode as manual?

thrak

Idea

I place the paper on a desktop. I bring up Scannable. I look at the paper through the screen. I want to align it as best I can.

Scannable insists on scanning the page before I am ready. If I turn the phone away, Scannable looks for anything it can find to scan.

Is there a way to turn the autoscan off? I'd really rather trigger it myself.

thrak

12 replies to this idea

I place the paper on a desktop. I bring up Scannable. I look at the paper through the screen. I want to align it as best I can.

Scannable insists on scanning the page before I am ready. If I turn the phone away, Scannable looks for anything it can find to scan.

Is there a way to turn the autoscan off? I'd really rather trigger it myself.

thrak

Just push the Manual button, then frame your document and push the big white button. Done!

Scannable is a beutiful App and wonderfully integrated with Evernote. I have exactly the same question as thrak and ClutterBGone's answer doesn't quite address it. I can see how to switch off autoscan after each scan. But how can I change the default so Scannable doesn't start autoscanning as soon as I open the App? Thanks for any help.

If you switch the setting to Manual it should not revert back to Auto the next time you use the app. I've tested this and can't reproduce the issue you are seeing.

Could you let me know if reinstalling the app makes a difference? If that doesn't help, I'd like to have you submit a support ticket (see the link in my signature). Be sure to reference this post in your ticket. Feel free to post the ticket number here and we can expedite your case. 

Just searching for a solution to this same problem. The App always defaults back to auto capture when I go to a new scan.  I'm using it on my iPhone, iPad and iPad pro and its the same on all. 

What happens is it starts scanning so quick that it's usually done the first scan before I'm ready so I go and change it to manual then delete the first scan and then start scanning manually!!!!!

If scannable wasn't otherwise so good I'd use something else :-)  I can't help but think there must be a way to default to manual and keep looking for it in settings, but can't find it.

I actually reported this as a bug recently because I thought it was only my phone doing it, and then found out it was a "feature." Well, this "feature" is not a positive to me, and is why I actually use other apps instead that have the toggle in the settings that let me turn off Automatic. If you want this app to be useful to people who pay for Evernote and link their accounts, then you want a toggle in the settings to "permanently" switch to Manual. Automatic scanning is something I will literally NEVER use and not having an option to remove that "feature" or turn it off for good (you can put a little one-time-use button there if you must but Ill never use it) is an example of why I stop using apps: not being able to turn off "features" that suck.  

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, accordingtoame said:

That's not permanent. We are asking for permanent. 

It's a reasonable feature request, but those don't happen overnight.  Always useful to know if you missed something that already exists,  or if not,  that there's a workaround to mitigate the issue while you wait.  As it happens the autofocus thing works fine for me,  but I didn't know there was any choice.  Thanks @ClutterBGone :)

• Ex Employees

Hi all - I merged a couple of these topics together and moved it to the 'Feedback' section. 

To confirm: after saving a scan and hitting 'Done', Scannable will automatically revert back to 'auto' mode, even if manual was previously selected. A possible workaround for now is to hit 'Back' instead of 'Done' after sharing/saving a scan. This will keep it in manual mode (though it won't clear the tray, so you'll need to swipe up from the tray to remove scans that you've already saved).

I've already submitted this as a feature request to our development team, but feel free to use the voting feature at the top left to show support for this idea!

Archived