What happened to audio notes?

On my Nexus 5 (Android 5.1.1) I dont seem to be able to create an audio note. As per the Evernote instructions, from a text note if I click the microphone I am sent to the Google voice typing keyboard. This doesn't record the sounds in the room. It attempts to transcribe what someone is saying. I need to record the sound. I don't need a transcription. Any way to get around this, or are there 3rd party apps that record sound into Evernote?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Last question first - any audio app can record sound to MP3 or WAV files and those can be attached and played from an Evernote note on any device that can play those file types (which is most devices). 

Evernote has two recording options - one's a speech to text service,  and the other is an audio note.  Try long-pressing the '+' icon to see other options for new notes and to customise your choices.

• Level 5*

Depends what you need.  Evernote's recorder is perfectly usable - other apps come with more controls,  especially for playback;  and depending on your device you may find the EN audio file is in AMR format - you'd need to convert that to something else if you want to play it back on a desktop.  The play store has lots of options.

Depends what you need. Evernote's recorder is perfectly usable - other apps come with more controls, especially for playback; and depending on your device you may find the EN audio file is in AMR format - you'd need to convert that to something else if you want to play it back on a desktop. The play store has lots of options.

VLC can play amr

I agree with gazumped. If I was the transcriber of meetings, I'd probably buy a Livescribe pen and use it to take notes during the meeting. When you view those notes on your computer, you can apparently click on a note and be taken to the audio for that section of the meeting. 

But if you just want backup of a meeting then Evernote could do that. 

Archived