Evernote crashing when clicking external links

steffy

Whenever I click on a web link in an evernote note the note window seems to (almost) freeze. I can click on other notebooks/tags etc. and the search bar updates but the note list and note window don't. I can click on another note in the list and the new note is highlighted but the note window doesn't change. I can however scroll up and down in the note window and edit text but some text functions don't work (I can't indent text or edit links for example). I can use the menu bar at the top without issue. This behaviour has occurred with every note I've tested, although I think when it first started I could sometimes click a link without it freezing and it was a less consistent issue but I'm not 100% sure. Now it happens every time without fail.

This behaviour started when I installed version 5.9.1, but I tried downgrading to 5.8.13 and still had the same issue. I'm back on 5.9.1 hoping the issue might clear up with another upgrade but that was just wishful thinking! I have windows 10 but have successfully been using Evernote for a few weeks since I upgraded (except the annoying duplicated taskbar icon in 5.8).

My next approach would be to use Revo uninstaller to completely delete Evernote and reinstall from scratch but I'd prefer not to have to download all my notes again if I don't need to. Any advice?

• Level 5*

Hi.  As a matter of interest,  how big is your database roughly?  if you're into multiple MB or above,  you may be able to calm Evernote down by disabling Context and using the registry hack to switch off type-ahead searching (although I really don't know whether that is still available in W10).  There are other tweaks like optimising the database,  but that isn't supposed to be used except under Support supervision,  and again it hasn't been tested under W10.

Basic users don't get email support,  but if you're Plus or Premium submit a request by choosing the appropriate option in the first dropdown after logging in here > https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

All users can contact Twitter @Evernotehelps

In either case include the forum thread URL for extra background.

Premium / Business users also have access to a Chat option (7am-7pm PST weekdays) - click 'continue' on the support page after logging in.

I just checked and my database folder is about 2GB. Mysteriously evernote started working again overnight so touch wood it's going to stay happy. I did already have context disabled though so God knows what the issue was!

Archived