Can no longer search within current notebook/stack

Nathan T

When viewing a notebook (or stack), the search bar at the top-right of the main evernote window begins with a small button with the name of that notebook.  (It has a light blue background, and if you mouse over it an 'x' appears to remove it.) 

It used to be, if you click in the search box and enter a search with that button present, it would search within the current notebook.  (If you instead wanted to search within all notebooks, you could use the 'x' to remove the current context, click 'Notebooks' or 'Notes' in the left pane, or just hit F6.)

Now though (I'm on 5.9.1, but this may have started earlier), the searching within a single notebook doesn't work.  As soon as I start typing my search, the context 'button' disappears, and the search is done across all notebooks.

The only way I can search within a single notebook is to explicitly type notebook:"notebook name" as part of the search, which is obviously much less convenient.  Hoping this is just a bug and can be fixed!  Thanks.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Things seem to have changed in the 'search' box.  If you select a specific notebook,  you do see that notebook name in the search box,  but right next to it is a 'search all notes' prompt that does exactly what it say on the can. 

There used to be a 'search within results' option (or something similar) which meant you could focus your search more closely,  but that seems to have gone...  on the other hand if you use Ctrl-F10 to show the search explanation,  there's a couple of drop-down box there with some of the variables available - you can select one notebook from that box forinstance and you'll see the appropriate results. 

(There's also a drop-down at the top of the note list window confirming the currently selected notebook which has the same effect.)

Don't know why I haven't noticed this before - but my searches tend to be very specific and are often saved,  and I only have a few notebooks anyway;  so I guess I haven't needed the option.

I'm guessing this is a design change,  so something to get used to I'm afraid...

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, all of your proposed workarounds take something like 3-5 clicks in various places for something that took just one previously.  (Not to mention something that I do all the time...)  If this is an intentional design change, I can't see how it makes sense.  There was already a keyboard shortcut (F6) to search all notes.  Or, it was a single click away by dismissing whatever context was currently in the search box.  Now the context button there showing the current notebook is meaningless, since it disappears as soon as you try to use the control.  There are plenty of other places that show the current notebook, so it doesn't make sense that it's just there for informational purposes.

So, hopefully it's a bug that will be fixed.  Or if it's intentional, a developer reads this and reconsiders. ;)  Being able to search within the current view is pretty crucial behavior.

• Level 5*

So, hopefully it's a bug that will be fixed.  Or if it's intentional, a developer reads this and reconsiders. ;)  Being able to search within the current view is pretty crucial behavior.

You may want to submit a formal bug report:

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue", "Payment/Billing Issue", and  "Log in issues".

You may want to submit a formal bug report:

Good idea, done.  Also, I just noticed that this isn't happening on my wife's computer, which is still running Windows 7.  I'm on Windows 10, so I'm guessing that's the difference.  Definitely makes it look like a bug, so hopefully it will indeed be fixed.

• Level 5*

Moderately confused now.  After a restart but - as far as I can tell - no further updates I now have 'search within context' back in my search box.  It wasn't there the other day when I replied to the initial query...  :unsure:

Moderately confused now.  After a restart but - as far as I can tell - no further updates I now have 'search within context' back in my search box.  It wasn't there the other day when I replied to the initial query...  :unsure:

Aha!  Just figured it out.  I just noticed there's a tiny down arrow beside the magnifying glass icon at the left of the search box.  Click the icon and you have the option to switch between 'Search all notes' and 'Search current context'.  It looks like it remembers your preference when you quit and restart as well.

I guess the default is 'Seach all notes' (perhaps that changed at some point), so when I reinstalled after installing Windows 10 it got reset.

So, not the best UI IMO, but basically problem solved!

Archived