Move Evernote on SD card

• Level 5*

Hi.  No experience of HTC phones,  but the Android situation in general is that you cannot move apps to an external card and still see them work normally.  You may not be able to move the app at all.  You can save music and movies to the SD card and that's about it.  There are special cases like if you have the technical smarts to 'root' the phone,  but for the average user that's not possible.  Having said that Evernote doesn't occupy a lot of space - it won't store your notes directly on the phone,  they'll be synced to the online server - so you only need enough space to get the app in there.  If you really want it,  something else might have to go...

• 1 year later...

Not sure how, but I now have Evernote and offline notes ALL on my SD card!

So, about a week ago my Samsung Galaxy S7 had a melt down (literally).  I got the replacement and the first thing I did was to use ADB to partition my 200GB SDXC card to 50/50 adoptable storage and regular SD storage. This was the same setup as my previous phone.  Once this was done, I proceeded to restore all my programs and data.  I use App2SD to move anything movable to the SD card.  On the previous phone, I did not move Evernote because I knew that if I did, Evernote would simply move everything back to internal memory on its own.  This is well documented.  I tried it before and it did what it said it would do - moved the data from the SD card back to internal memory.

However, this time I decided to move Evernote to the SD card before I started a synchronization.  I figured the app would move, but the data would stay on internal memory.  To my amazement, the data synchronized to the SD card along with the app.  I then proceeded to offline all my notebooks (about 10GB).  Again, to my amazement, all the offline data went to the SD card.

So, that's my story.  I wish I could give anyone reading this specific instructions on how to make Evernote work from the SD card, including the data.  I can't because I don't know what I did that made it work this time when it's never worked before and when it's well documented that it won't work.

I have not rebooted the phone since I finished reloading all my apps and data.  Perhaps when I reboot, Evernote will go TU.  I will post again after a reboot.

Well, reboot complete and all data still resides on the adopted portion of the SD card and is accessible and working fine.  Viewing data that resides on the SD card is slower than that same data if it were in internal memory.  However, the time difference is not significant.

Once again, unfortunately I have no exact procedure for how to make this work.  I can only list the steps I took when I loaded the new phone:

1. Download Evernote.

2. Move Evernote to the SD card using the App2SD Android app.

3. Log in to Evernote and let the initial sync complete.  This sync gets only the usual data, i.e. links to the cloud data.

4. Go into the "Offline Notebooks" section and mark all the notebooks for offline.  I did this in several steps because I have 10GB of data, so I didn't want to do it all at once.  Once all the syncs were complete, all the data, including offline, resides on the SD card.  Note that when I say SD card, I mean the adopted portion of the SD card.  It's a 200GB card, so I set it up for half as adopted storage and half as a regular SD card.  The Evernote app and all its data are on the adopted portion of the card, along with numerous other apps.

When I set up the new phone, before I restored any apps, I let the phone do the latest update.  I mentioned this because, perhaps there's something in the latest update that changed and removed the restriction or make some other internal change that now allows this to work.

So, the only suggestion I can give is to do a factory wipe, do the normal setup steps, get any available Android updates, then follow the steps I outlined above.  I have no idea if this will work for anyone else.

When I tried this before (quite some time ago...maybe 10 months) it did what I expected and moved all the data back to internal storage and left it there.

Obviously, this would be a VERY time consuming process, especially if you have a lot of data and apps on your phone.  The result could very well be that your Evernote data ends up back in internal memory and you've wasted a lot of time.  So, you have to decide for yourself if this is a worthwhile process.

So, if you (you being anyone reading this who wants to try it) want to try it, I can only wish good luck!  And, hopefully, Evernote will not read this and find some new way to reinforce their "no external data" policy, undoing whatever piece of luck I had that allowed this.

Best regards and good luck - David

• Level 5*

Great - thanks for the description.  I don't think there's a secret SD Protection Squad that will trash your data in due course,  and as far as I know it's a policy set by Android that Evernote are following along with,  as they tend to do.  The reservation has always been though that this is not possible with an unrooted phone - you seem to have done the extra tech steps to get your data to yourself.  Good luck anyway - let us know if anything more develops from this!

• 4 months later...
Em 12/21/2016 at 22:05, David Salomon disse:

Well, reboot complete and all data still resides on the adopted portion of the SD card and is accessible and working fine.  Viewing data that resides on the SD card is slower than that same data if it were in internal memory.  However, the time difference is not significant.

Once again, unfortunately I have no exact procedure for how to make this work.  I can only list the steps I took when I loaded the new phone:

1. Download Evernote.

2. Move Evernote to the SD card using the App2SD Android app.

3. Log in to Evernote and let the initial sync complete.  This sync gets only the usual data, i.e. links to the cloud data.

4. Go into the "Offline Notebooks" section and mark all the notebooks for offline.  I did this in several steps because I have 10GB of data, so I didn't want to do it all at once.  Once all the syncs were complete, all the data, including offline, resides on the SD card.  Note that when I say SD card, I mean the adopted portion of the SD card.  It's a 200GB card, so I set it up for half as adopted storage and half as a regular SD card.  The Evernote app and all its data are on the adopted portion of the card, along with numerous other apps.

When I set up the new phone, before I restored any apps, I let the phone do the latest update.  I mentioned this because, perhaps there's something in the latest update that changed and removed the restriction or make some other internal change that now allows this to work.

So, the only suggestion I can give is to do a factory wipe, do the normal setup steps, get any available Android updates, then follow the steps I outlined above.  I have no idea if this will work for anyone else.

When I tried this before (quite some time ago...maybe 10 months) it did what I expected and moved all the data back to internal storage and left it there.

Obviously, this would be a VERY time consuming process, especially if you have a lot of data and apps on your phone.  The result could very well be that your Evernote data ends up back in internal memory and you've wasted a lot of time.  So, you have to decide for yourself if this is a worthwhile process.

So, if you (you being anyone reading this who wants to try it) want to try it, I can only wish good luck!  And, hopefully, Evernote will not read this and find some new way to reinforce their "no external data" policy, undoing whatever piece of luck I had that allowed this.

Best regards and good luck - David

Alas, in my case this app did not work at all; what it did was just moving from one place inside the 4GB original tablet card to another, and not to the SD card I've put.

Archived