What happened to Paste as Plain Text?!

What the heck happened to the "Paste as Plain Text" command that used to be available?! I think there must've been a recent update that replaced it with "Paste and Match Style" which, in my experience so far, means "strip out all the line breaks and turn your clipboard into a giant blob of text."

This used to be one of my most frequently used commands ...

Copy a selection of text from an email, a web page, a PDF, whatever ... if you just paste it (CTRL+V) into the Note, you're going to get all the formatting, which will usually make a mess of the text. But if you use Paste as Plain Text (CTRL+SHIFT+V) you'd get JUST the characters, including line breaks and bullets, and then you could clean it up with formatting or indents if needed.

Now that it's "match style" it's stripping out everything except the text, which includes the line breaks, making it virtually impossible to capture a lengthy section of email or web content, without spending ages going back in to insert line and paragraph breaks.

If this was an "enhancement" I'd say FAIL!

Also, it looks like they've changed the way tables work, because all of my older notes that had tables in them, now when I try to add a column or edit anything in the table, the table blows apart!

Augh. REVERT, REVERT!!

• Level 5*

Relative to the table problem, there is a workaround.

1. Hit enter and then Ctrl-Z to undo in the note you want to edit.
  2. Go to any other note.
  3. Go back to the original note and make your edits.

Don't know why it works, but it does.

Thanks for the tip. Seems that works OK if I haven't already broken the table by trying to edit it. I have a few notes I've been able to confirm this with, and two that I've had to extensively rebuild to recover.

From adding new tables in the course of my efforts to recover some of this data, it seems to me that the underlying table code itself has changed. New tables have lighter borders, and the columns evenly space to fit the window, regardless of their contents, whereas the older tables have darker borders, and columns resize as you enter text into them so that the column widths end up proportional to their contents.

This leads me to believe something fundamental was changed in the way data is stored underlying the notes, which is probably the answer to "Why?" for both issues.

• Level 5*

You are welcome.  Yup, a new design in the tables, more uniform and more "air" in them as well.  I don't think it impacts the store of the actual data in the table, but it does impact the display of the table. 

I would guess the old tables "break" because something about the coding in the old version isn't quite compatible with the new version (and the undo process resets it).  A guess.... 

Why it hasn't been fixed as yet is a mystery.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all -

We didn't remove it, we've recently renamed it to more clearly reflect what's happening when that option is selected. It has always, and continues to do so today, matched the style of the surrounding text the content is being pasted into.

To clarify, this was never a feature that we had in Evernote for Windows, it was just incorrectly named as so until now.

For the formatting issues that you're referring to, that doesn't sound right and needs to be looked into by our technical support representatives. Please note that the formatting issues don't seem to be related to the renaming of the feature in question. For us to look into the formatting issues, please open up a support ticket via https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/categories/200001917-Troubleshooting- Let me know if you have any questions.

Hope this helps!

"Paste to match style" definitely does not behave the same as "Paste to Plain text" did.

Ex:

From an Excel spread sheet 3 columns 3 rows:

Paste as plain text:

PM-415-10-P2Z ONE PIECE ONLYPLASTIC LEVELER BLACK 3 3/4" - 4 3/4"
PM-228-AN-C2 TOE KICK CLIP BLACK GROOVE MNT 2 FINGER
PM-840-15-P2Z PLASTIC SOCKET V-PLATE BLK 15MM DOWEL

Paste to Match Style:

PM-415-10-P2ZONE PIECE ONLYPLASTIC LEVELER BLACK 3 3/4" - 4 3/4"PM-228-AN-C2TOE KICK CLIP BLACK GROOVE MNT 2 FINGERPM-840-15-P2ZPLASTIC SOCKET V-PLATE BLK 15MM DOWEL

Ticket submitted

Tech Support response:

We have had several users requesting for the re-implementation of the "Paste as Plain Text" option to the Windows desktop application and we always appreciate feedback and feature suggestions from our users. I will make sure that this information is passed along to our product team for their consideration in implementing in future versions of Evernote for Windows.

• Level 5*

What does "Paste as Plain Text" mean since Evernote is a rich text editor and doesn't have a plain text mode?

Does it mean remove all of this?

1. Text styling from the source, then apply the user's default font?
  2. Table structure -- how are the cells converted (think of the MS Word option to convert table to text)?
  3. Line breaks, as in HTML <BR>
  4. Paragraph breaks, as in HTML <p>
  5. TAB characters -- converted to spaces?   How many spaces/TAB?
  6. INDENT -- converted to spaces, or to Evernote "indent"?

My experience when pasting into an app that only supports plain text (like TextWrangler), is that the result is usually a mixed blessing -- some things I like, some I don't.  I almost always have to do some manual cleanup.

What I have found that works very well in Evernote Mac, is to paste normal, then select what was pasted and apply Simplify Formatting (CMD+SHIFT+F).  It seems to strike the right balance for what I usually want.

"Paste to match style" definitely does not behave the same as "Paste to Plain text" did.

Ex:

Paste as plain text:

Paste to Match Style:

PM-415-10-P2ZONE PIECE ONLYPLASTIC LEVELER BLACK 3 3/4" - 4 3/4"PM-228-AN-C2TOE KICK CLIP BLACK GROOVE MNT 2 FINGERPM-840-15-P2ZPLASTIC SOCKET V-PLATE BLK 15MM DOWEL

Ticket submitted

Tech Support response:

We have had several users requesting for the re-implementation of the "Paste as Plain Text" option to the Windows desktop application and we always appreciate feedback and feature suggestions from our users. I will make sure that this information is passed along to our product team for their consideration in implementing in future versions of Evernote for Windows.

What's your support ticket number? I'd like to look into it. Thank you. 

Ticket# 1319645 - Formating of Paste to Match Style vs Paste as plain text

Thank you

You bet. I'll look into this with a technical support representative and get back to you once I've gathered additional information.

• 2 weeks later...

Ex:

Paste as plain text:

Paste to Match Style:

Ticket submitted

Better in the latest update. At least it is not all run together in one line.

Ex:
PM-415-10-P2Z

ONE PIECE ONLY

PLASTIC LEVELER BLACK 3 3/4" - 4 3/4"

PM-840-15-P2Z

PLASTIC SOCKET V-PLATE BLK 15MM DOWEL

PM-228-AN-C2

TOE KICK CLIP BLACK GROOVE MNT 2 FINGER
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 9:06 AM, rdowell123 said:

Better in the latest update. At least it is not all run together in one line.

Ex:
PM-415-10-P2Z

ONE PIECE ONLY

PLASTIC LEVELER BLACK 3 3/4" - 4 3/4"

PM-840-15-P2Z

PLASTIC SOCKET V-PLATE BLK 15MM DOWEL

PM-228-AN-C2

TOE KICK CLIP BLACK GROOVE MNT 2 FINGER

Would still like to see the old paste as plain text back.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived