Manually Create Business Card Note

Sergeson

Idea

Hello!  I recently started using Scanable to scan business cards in.  It's quite cool!

My only problem is that in the past week, I've encounter two business contacts where I didn't get cards for them.  I have all their contact information: phone number, address, email, etc. and I would like to manually create a business card note.  But there doesn't seem to be an option to manually create a business card note.  It is either I scan a business card to create a business card note or ... do nothing?

I've asked Lord Google and searched the message boards here and can't seem to find any instructions on how to manually do this.

Does anyone have any ideas how this may be accomplished?

17 replies to this idea

Great instruction - works quite beautifully for me on my PC, but has one minor flaw on iOS: the template note I created can not be duplicated. This option is missing from the context menu (the three dots at the top right corner), I believe due to the note type.

Any idea for a work-around?

The instructions on how to manually remove the image are very helpful. I have created a template to duplicate. 

However, now I have found another problem. The LinkedIn box is not editable. I found how to do it from the ENEX file, but come on!! If I have to do it this way for every case, then it is not the user friendly app that I am willing to pay for every month to help me handle the number of business cards I receive every day.

All of these workarounds are temporary band aid. 

I have requested these modifications to the support team months ago and still no action or response. These are not fundamental changes, only simple modifications. Hence, I have to write it again publicly here that this has become frustrating and I do not understand the logic behind the payments I make to have the support.

To Evernote, this is one of the reasons that you have @EvernoteSupportSucks. Take action!

Hi Guys,

Well come to forum site. We have only problem is that in the past week, We encounter two business contacts where I didn't get cards for them.  We have all their contact information: phone number, address, email, etc. We would like to manually create a business card note.  But there doesn't seem to be an option to manually create a business card note.  This is either I scan a business card to create a business card note.

On 5.11.2016 at 6:49 PM, phils said:

@Henrik_K Wow, that's really unfortunate - it seems you're right, on iOS you can duplicate normal notes but not a Business Card note.  Alas I have no brilliant ideas on solving that.

(Also that caused me to check Android and it seems there is no Duplicate option for notes at all in that client app.)

Update - great news: it is possible in the new iOS app 8.0 to duplicate business card notes and thus also templates! Works great!

Guys, one of the business cards scanned into a document. Here is how I do it. Open the scan pdf in adobe reader. Make sure the background is dark, so it stand out. Use the business card capture feature to capture the business card info on the screen, edit small error if you see any. Then delete the old note with the pdf to eliminate duplication. Quick and easy. :)  If it's not a business card scan go wrong, you can always type in on the screen, capture it. Or write it out on the blank side of another business card, if your handwriting is clear enough, you may scan it correctly.

• Level 5*
On 2016-11-04 at 10:02 AM, Henrik_K said:

Great instruction - works quite beautifully for me on my PC, but has one minor flaw on iOS: the template note I created can not be duplicated. This option is missing from the context menu (the three dots at the top right corner), I believe due to the note type.

Any idea for a work-around?

On my iPad, I usually just copy/paste, but I can mail my template notes to myself 

Use the ... and open the Share icon (box with  an arrow).  The Share menu has a Mail function and an Export/Mail (enex) function

If I use my Evernote mail address, a new note is created.
Using my own email address, I can click on the attachment and specify open-in-Evernote

• Level 5*

@Henrik_K Wow, that's really unfortunate - it seems you're right, on iOS you can duplicate normal notes but not a Business Card note.  Alas I have no brilliant ideas on solving that.

(Also that caused me to check Android and it seems there is no Duplicate option for notes at all in that client app.)

Yikes!  Well, that is a bit beyond my skill set.  I was hoping for something that was quick and without a lot of fuss.

Anyway, the "Copy to Notebook" feature you shared is way more valuable to me than the business card trick.

Thank you very much!

• Level 5*

Yes, you've discovered the "secret" of how to make Evernote note templates!

In terms of the business card, that's interesting - I had assumed it could be deleted but I see what you mean that it can't.

So the answer is a little more complicated: Export the note to an ENEX format. Then open it in your text editor application of choice (Notepad, etc.).  You want to delete two things: first find the <div> tag that references the card image in the note body - it will look something like this:

<div style="x-evernote:card-image;width: 500px; height:auto; padding: 20px; margin-bottom: 20px;"><en-media style="width: 93%%;height:auto;margin-left: 3.5%%;" width="1024" height="592" hash="0824dac2ccf2b490ff51e9d60ccb4c05" type="image/png"/></div>

Delete that.

Then just shortly below that, find the <resource> tag - it will be in a part of the text that looks something like this:

</application-data></note-attributes><resource><data encoding="base64">

Select text starting with <resource> and go all the way to the bottom of the note - you will be selecting A LOT OF TEXT that looks like gibberish (it's a numeric representation of the image itself).  At the bottom, find the matching </resource> tag - it will be in the last part of the note that looks something like this:

</recognition></resource></note></en-export>

Delete everything between and including the <resource> ... </resource> tags, then save the text file.

Then import the saved and edited ENEX file back into Evernote, and there is your contact card note without the image.  So that you only have to do this once, I'd suggest treating the imported note as a template (which you now know how to do!) and copy it whenever you need a new "manually created" contact card.

Thanks!  You're answer actually solved a different question I had and that was how to duplicate a note.  Now I can "sort of" make templates, use the "Copy to Notebook" feature and have my duplicate function.

As far as your suggestion goes, it does work however Evernote scans an image of the actual business card and attached that to the note.  I've tried to select it and right click with the intention of removing it or replacing it.  No success.  Any ideas on that portion?

Thanks for the suggestion.  I opened a contact card note and am unable to "copy paste" the entire contents into a blank note.  It seems I can only select the value in a specific field, which won't capture the formatting of the business card note.

Any suggestions on how I can select all the content of a card note?

Archived