Please stop asking me to select a plan

Volmass38

Please stop asking me to select a plan. I've been an Evernote user since 2008, I don't appreciate repeatedly being asked to select a plan type. If I select basic, then I want basic. Thank you.

Also, when I go to the support page there's no option for submitting an item to Evernote, my only option is to check the community?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Always good to know what version of Evernote you're actually using - in terms of Web / Desktop / Mobile / Touch - and what OS you have:  Mac / Windows / Android / iOS etc.

If you're using any 'free' app,  it's offered as a (slightly) cut down version of the full service because the company believes that if you experience the incredible usefulness of their product you'll rush out and buy one.  Lots of people do.  On the other hand even if you don't either exceed the limits of the free software,  or feel obliged to support the company to stay in business so they can continue to provide the service you're continuing to use,  or indeed want to upgrade to get more access to support;  they do want to remind you that an upgrade is a good idea,  and dangle any recent improvements as added incentives.  Short version:  you use free software,  you get nagged.

However Evernote aren't unreasonable - they've said somewhere that a couple of times a week is all you should see - so if you;re seeing more than that,  there's something amiss somewhere.

One possibility is that if you log in to https://www.evernote.com/PersonalSettings.action - you'll find a lot of marketing boxes are ticked.  Try unticking them.

Another is that in Evernote > Tools > General (EN Win desktop) you have "show Evernote promotions" ticked.  Untick it. **

You should also check that you're using the latest version of the app (there was a bug a version or two ago that did send out rather more reminders than it should have...)

If you're still suffering - try tweeting @EvernoteHelps for some assistance.

Basic users don't get email support,  but there are situations where you can use the process...  https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/51807-best-practices-submitting-a-support-ticket/

** Edit: - sorry,  that might be a premium-only option...  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

+1 to this request

I can understand a business trying to nudge users toward an upgrade, but this isn't the way to do it. Aside from the mild annoyance of the prompt, my other main gripe here is that the prompt isn't directly asking the user if they'd like to upgrade. It just comes up and says "Which plan would you like to use?" The user selects a plan and is on their way-- but then later, it comes back, without any indication that it's already asked the user this question. This is annoying for a reason other than the fact it's a nag; it's annoying because I've already told Evernote what plan I wanted to use, why is it asking me again? I get it, you're asking for money/trying to nudge me into an upgrade, but it should just ask for one. The way they're doing it now feels like both a bug and an ad.

I've been using Evernote for years without paying-- I've also been listening to NPR and using Wikipedia without donating, so I'm admittedly not a bastion here-- and it's just a mild annoyance for a company to start nagging me to pay for updates and features I don't need and never asked for. If any other business out there were to ask me 14 times to upgrade over the course of a year and consistently got a 'No' on all 14 requests, I'd imagine they'd stop asking, and it feels disrespectful to keep it up. I'm sure Evernote has lots of data saying the nagging works/gets them money from many users, but I'd wager there are also many users like myself and Volmass who find this tactic frustrating and annoying, and can, in the end, wind up leaving/copying and pasting our stuff into something like Google Docs (free) or heading to a comparable service that offers a traditional perpetual license (like Togehter) and packing out of Evernote.

For all I know Evernote doesn't care, is reading this, and is saying "good riddance" to the freeloaders. And that's OK, business is business. But I wanted to throw in my two cents in case that wasn't their answer and was curious why the freeloaders were leaving.

I know I'm a cheapskate, I know I'm a self-entitled customer griping about a free product. I had been suckered in by that free price tag years ago, loved it, and am now paying the price of having my data in a business that's realizing it needs to make money, I just want to whine before I head off to Google Docs.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 on limiting the selection of plan dialog. I've answered this dialog multiple times over the last few months. It showed again today on version 6.1.1 for Mac. My decision to stay on free hasn't changed. The repeated display of the dialog is serving to disrupt my use of Evernote, not a good thing for a productivity app.

• 1 month later...

I get this every day now....there's no setting i can find to stop it. 

I, too, am getting this every single day. (I'm using Evernote on OS X.) I like the product, and I like the Basic plan just fine. I'm less likely to ever consider upgrading because I get asked every single day. Please make it stop.

• Level 5*

For everyone suffering from excessive nagging - I'd strongly recommend raising a support ticket - click Troubleshooting in the Help Center (link below in my sig) and scroll to the bottom of the page to see the 'Contact Support' button.

For everyone suffering from excessive nagging - I'd strongly recommend raising a support ticket - click Troubleshooting in the Help Center (link below in my sig) and scroll to the bottom of the page to see the 'Contact Support' button.

File a support ticket? You mean the thing that I'm not able to do as a Basic user?

Did you try?  Submit a bug report by choosing "report a bug..." in the first dropdown after logging in here > https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

You won't necessarily get any feedback,  but it does register your problem with Evernote and generates stats that their management will be looking at...

I had not tried Report a Bug, but I have now. Thanks for directing me there.

What platform is everyone who reported in the last 48 hours seeing the constant selection screen on? iOS? Mac? 

Yes, Mac (running Yosemite) using version 6.2.1 of Evernote. As of a few days ago, I'm getting prompted every day to select a plan.

What platform is everyone who reported in the last 48 hours seeing the constant selection screen on? iOS? Mac? 

I'm getting it too.

This is on 6.2.1 (452715 App Store) on three different Macs all running El Capitan. It sometimes seems to appear when I start Evernote, other times the prompt to choose a plan is sitting there when I come back after a short break. I'm seeing it on each of them once a day, and I don't remember it being this annoying before the latest release, so I suspect there's something wrong in this version.

Anyone who was experiencing these should no longer be regularly seeing them. We've made a number of changes under the hood to the service to make sure this doesn't happen again. 

• 2 years later...

Hi I'm new here. I've been using Evernote since 2012 and now it is constantly asking me to "Upgrade to continue using Evernote on this device" . I use Evernote across  three devices - my mac, iPhone und iPad. Everything was fine until recently and it is driving me crazy. When i open the app on my iPad it asks me to upgrade without me having the option to go to any app-settings. What can I do? Please help!!!

• Level 5*
On 24/02/2018 at 6:36 PM, Maga said:

now it is constantly asking me to "Upgrade to continue using Evernote on this device"

Hi.  This sounds like the warning that Evernote gives to Basic users with more than 2 devices synced to their account.  That limit was set some time ago - here's more detail and the way to deal with the limit if you have 3 devices active - Devices FAQ

Archived