BUG: EN Chrome Clipper (Mac) Clipping Wrong Page

JMichaelTX

Idea

• Level 5*

BUG REPORT:  EN Chrome Clipper (Mac) Clipping Wrong Page

EN Chrome Clipper 6.6 (NEW Bug)

Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Chrome 45.0.2454.85 (64-bit)

When attempting to clip a page opened from a Google Search page, the EN Chrome Clipper has two bugs:

1. Clips the Google Search Page in addition to the target page
  2. Uses the Title of the Google Search Page as the Note Title for the target page

This is very repeatable.  It happens every time.

I have tried removing the EN Chrome clipper, quitting Chrome, and opening Chrome and reinstalling the Clipper.  Same results.

See screenshots below.

Steps to Reproduce Bugs, using Chrome Browser on Mac:

1. Execute a Google search
  2. Open one of the result links in a new tab
  3. Invoke EN Clipper
  4. Observe that the Title in the Clipper popup is NOT the title of the page being clipped.  It is the title of the Google Search page
  5. Click on the "Save" button in the Clipper popup.
  6. Observe that the Clipper reports the pages has been clipped and sync'd
  7. Go to EN Mac 6.1
  8. Sync
  9. Observe that there are two pages which were actually clipped
    1. The target page you invoked the EN Clipper on
    2. The Google Search page, which was open in another tab in the Browser

10. Observe that the Note from the clipped target page has the wrong Note Titile
    1. It is the Title of the Google Search page.

Here is the text used in the Google Search: 

FBI's recent decision to return to the 9mm

Here's the page I clipped:

http://looserounds.com/2014/09/21/fbi-9mm-justification-fbi-training-division/

Screenshots

EN-Clipper-6.6-Wrong-Title.gif

EN-Clipper-6.6-Wrong-Page-Clipped.gif

EN-Clipper-6.6-Note-Wrong-Title.gif

18 replies to this idea

I rely on Evernote and the web clipper to save evidence that I may need to rely upon in court at a later date. It was an absolute joke that this thing was capturing the wrong material before and that it's happening again is unacceptable. Fix it now or I am done with Evernote for good. You can't mess people around like this.

Bug has reappeared!

This bug seemed to be fixed for awhile.  But on the more recent builds it is broken again.

I have many open Tabs.  Chrome will sometimes put to tabs together in the same process.  I can see they are in the same process in the Chrome Task Manager.  I suspect if you have enough tabs open this happens regardless of how the tab was created.  For example the tabs in the same process are not usually in the same window.

I happen to be using Version 47.0.2526.16 beta (64-bit) The only reason I am using the beta is that I saw this bug reappear in the release verison so I decided to try the beta.  It is in the beta as well

This is a highly disruptive bug.

Please fix ASAP!!!

I'm experiencing this same issue on the current Chrome dev channel. It appears to mix up information from all tabs running in the same chrome "Task"

Chrome Version: 47.0.2522.0 dev

OS Version: Mac OS X: 10.11.0

Evernote Web Clipper 6.7

It seems the Chrome bug isn't completely fixed, or has regressed. There's an "unconfirmed" Chrome issue here: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=530805
  • Level 5*

Chrome has updated to verson 45.0.2454.93 and apparently fixes this problem. Have others been able to test it extensively and confirm?

Well, I have NOT tested it extensively, but I was able to repeat the test in my Bug Report above, and it seems to work properly now.

I do  a lot of clipping, so I'll report back later.

• Level 5*

Here's what we know:

The reason why it’s not always reproducible is because it depends on how you spawn the second tab

- If you just right-click a link and click on “open in new tab”, it will not reproduce because that creates the second tab in a separate process from the main tab.
- But if you clicked on a link that was written to open in a new tab/window/popup, the second tab is opened as part of the same process as the main tab, and it will reproduce.
- Or if your settings is set to open every link click in a new tab (vs the default of opening in the same tab), it will reproduce.

Thanks for posting this, jbignert.  Now I can go back to using Chrome.  I just have to always use method #1, right-click link.

Also, it will reproduce if you use CMD-Click.  Don't understand why that is different from right-click, but it is.

FYI, I have Chrome set for #3.

Here's what we know:

The reason why it’s not always reproducible is because it depends on how you spawn the second tab

- If you just right-click a link and click on “open in new tab”, it will not reproduce because that creates the second tab in a separate process from the main tab.

- But if you clicked on a link that was written to open in a new tab/window/popup, the second tab is opened as part of the same process as the main tab, and it will reproduce.

- Or if your settings is set to open every link click in a new tab (vs the default of opening in the same tab), it will reproduce.

Archived