(Archived) Web Clippings

bloppity

Idea

Am I missing the obvious...

I have spent the better part of three days looking at EverNote style apps. I keep finding reasons why they are not going to work for me. EverNote seems to come the closest.

It is the webclip aspect that I am hung up on. It seems a lot of work to select a portion of a page, and click on a bookmarklet, to have a web form pop up, where I do my entry. Is there a local app based version of this? I want a keyboard based quick entry window.

I am near certain, this means that to use the web clip feature, I am going to need network access, which is a logical assumption, since I am on the web. However, what if I am on a intranet, and want to clip things, and do not have outside access?

I am looking to stop using bookmarks, and just use EverNote. Most of the other EverNote style apps allow the easy, keyboard based, grabbing of a url, or page, and can even download the entire page as an offline doc, for reading later. I need not grab the mouse, select anything, I can just take the page with me. I certainly do not need to login to an account.

Can you tell me a little about how the data is stored? One issue I am running into is database based storage, such as sqlite, where the database grows, making TimeMachine rapidly run out of space. I am hoping EverNote uses files, and just copies my files to some central location that is managed, a lot like iTunes, or iPhoto.

The closest I am getting to what I want is Yojimbo, but there is the database issue with that app, and also only syncing through Mobile Me. Plus, Yojmbo is made by BareBones, and I do not get along with them.

16 replies to this idea

It's similar to printing to PDF, although I think it also sets the source URL of the page so you have a link in the note header.

If you want to edit the content (but not preserve the exact pixel-by-pixel layout from your own web browser), then you can do a normal clip. If you want an exact replica of the content of your web browser, clip to PDF.

Thank you, and in summary for others reading...

Ask one question at a time, as you only get one answer, even if you ask two questions, or god forbid, more than two B)

Glad to have helped. :)

Forum question: I've tried, but haven't found a way to start a new topic. As a result, I hi-jacked this topic which seemed close to my issue. .

Click 'board index', select the section that is most applicable to your question, then "new topic."

post-11735-131906066332_thumb.jpg

Thanks Burgers...

for making me smarter.

Learning new software is like mind candy to me. With EN, I occasionally encounter a piece that has an unpleasant taste. Help like yours makes things better.

Forum question: I've tried, but haven't found a way to start a new topic. As a result, I hi-jacked this topic which seemed close to my issue. What have I overlooked?

Gary.

I'll probably feel like a dope when I get the answer to this, but I gotta ask anyway:

"EN watched folder" How set up; where located?

If you search the board on "watch folder" or "import folder", you'll find several threads that will be helpful.

My daughter has a Word document that is several pages long. She uses it to document events in her care of an elderly person, so it's frequently updated. If EN is of value to her, it will make the entire .DOC file searchable. I gather that once in EN, updating will be easy.

Is there an easy way to accomplish getting the DOC file into EN without printing & scanning it? If so, I'll buy her a premium account.

Word documents are not searchable.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11949

FYI, no need to print & scan anything to get it into PDF format. There are several "virtual" PDF printers. I use CutePDFWriter - it's free. When I want something that's already on my computer to be converted to PDF, I use the normal print function. When the printer selection comes up, instead of selecting one of the printers, you select CutePDFWriter. Bam. SO...if she has a PDF editor, she could print it to PDF & go from there. Or she could copy/paste the contents to a new EN note. She should dink around with a free account & see how it works for her & come back here with any questions she may have. She may even find it's just easier to use EN but make each entry a new note, rather than appending to a Word doc. I am the primary "offsite" caregiver for my 92 y/o mother who lives in assisted living. I use EN to keep notes about all kinds of info for her including hearing aid info, drug info, summaries of doctor's appointments, etc. For this, I prefer to make most notes a separate EN note. Since the notes have a creation date, if she makes each event a separate note, she can easily browse through them in the order of the event, should she need to.

One more issue: As y'all have probably concluded, I desperately need a tutorial on EN. Recommendations = ???

IME, the best way to learn what you can do with EN is to browse the message boards.

I'll probably feel like a dope when I get the answer to this, but I gotta ask anyway:

"EN watched folder" How set up; where located?

Should Foxit PDF printer accomplish what you describe?

A new issue:

My daughter has a Word document that is several pages long. She uses it to document events in her care of an elderly person, so it's frequently updated. If EN is of value to her, it will make the entire .DOC file searchable. I gather that once in EN, updating will be easy.

Is there an easy way to accomplish getting the DOC file into EN without printing & scanning it? If so, I'll buy her a premium account.

One more issue: As y'all have probably concluded, I desperately need a tutorial on EN. Recommendations = ???

My Issue is failure to get capture of web page PDF.

Example: When viewing monthly bill from my ISP, Clicking on "Add to Evernote", I get the following: "StatementView.do (application/pdf Object)"

No PDF document, just the subject and the URL.

What you say is no surprise. My issue is with Cox Communications, which is often a few paces out of step with the rest of the planet. I see what work-around works best for me.

I have Cox & if you have the bill pulled up, you should be able to save the PDF (click the disk icon, top/left) to an Evernote watched folder. I keep an empty EN watched folder for stuff like this. I either save or print to the folder (CutePDF Writer - it's free), it gets dumped into EN & then the original is deleted.

Gary, this is probably not an Evernote solvable issue. It is related to this one website you are using. I would bet, if you hover your mouse over the link you click on just before the pdf pops up, you will notice it is not a direct link to a file that ends in .pdf, but rather, the link will be something like javascript:void(0)

I hate websites that do stuff like this, often times doing so to plain image links and such, which can break in Safari and other browsers. The worst is, it is not Safari or FireFox's fault, but they are relying on some esoteric JavaScript that only IE understands.

With that, you are popping up a window, or in some way, inspiring a window that has a copy of some data in it, but there is no url to it. With no url, I suspect Evernote can not do a heck of a lot with it.

If that is not it, I sometimes fine the website does not send down the correct MIME headers, so the browser does not know what kind of file it is, and chooses text/html, which is probably confusing Evernote also.

Sorry, I do not have any soltutions for you, aside from download the pdf, open it in your pdf reader of choice and get it into Evernote from there.

My Issue is failure to get capture of web page PDF.

Example: When viewing monthly bill from my ISP, Clicking on "Add to Evernote", I get the following: "StatementView.do (application/pdf Object)"

No PDF document, just the subject and the URL.

Similar bills from other utilities are captured just fine.

Evernote Premium 3.5.1964,

Windows XP Pro

Firefox 3.6.3

Foxit Reader

Gary

It's similar to printing to PDF, although I think it also sets the source URL of the page so you have a link in the note header.

If you want to edit the content (but not preserve the exact pixel-by-pixel layout from your own web browser), then you can do a normal clip. If you want an exact replica of the content of your web browser, clip to PDF.

If you want to see a web site presented exactly as it was in a web browser, I'd recommend using Safari, and then hold the Shift key while you click on the elephant button to create a PDF version of that page in Evernote.

Cool, thanks. I take it that is the same as print to pdf, just a shortcut? I lose background and other data I would like to maintain as a pdf. What other tricks are there besides the shift key?

If you want to see a web site presented exactly as it was in a web browser, I'd recommend using Safari, and then hold the Shift key while you click on the elephant button to create a PDF version of that page in Evernote.

So still, no way to capture the entire page, it is just the bits and pieces of the page, is that correct? Do a capture of amazon.com, if you want to save the state of that page as it is, the way I am seeing it, it is not useful to me. I am hoping for a way to grab the page exactly as it is.

In Safari, click on the elephant icon in the toolbar.

In Firefox, download the Evernote clipper for Firefox (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8381) and then click on the elephant icon in the toolbar.

post-8171-131906065319_thumb.png

Evernote uses Apple's recommended storage framework, which works fine with Time Machine. Many people have gigabytes of data, and back up their systems with Time Machine.

Applescript: http://www.evernote.com/about/developer ... ipting.php

If you install Evernote on your Mac, you can clip directly to your local client application without using the web-only Javascript "bookmarklet" clipping:

http://www.evernote.com/about/download/mac.php

On your Mac, your data is in: ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote

We use the Mac "Core Data" framework to store our data.

How do I do this clipping, I have not seen it in the demo version I am trying?

So you are saying, I can be in a web page, hit a key command, and that will go into evernote, without interrupting my workflow? Can I also save that as a copy of the web page, so that it will be static, and never change, or used for offline viewing?

So all data is in sqlite I take it? You use your sync backend to sync to more than one machine, or to iPhone apps, or the web app etc? If all data goes into the sqlite db, how does this play with TimeMachine, as that data grows, I suspect for the reasons I do not want to use Yojimbo, will be the same for everynote. If I get a 500MB database, every 15 minutes, TimeMachie is going to copy that entire file over, just for the adddition of one note? Or is this just an index, and file are stored in disk as normal files?

I have thousands of .url files, which are windows, unix, linux, and mac web url location files, importing them does not seem to do more than just import the url, it will not load the page. Suggestions on getting support for this? I can probably script them into weblocs if that would help.

Is Evernote applescriptable?

Thank you.

Archived