Line Spacing is changed with new update today and I need to change it back!

I'm somewhat new to Evernote so I apologize if this answer is someplace else - I did look but I didn't see it. I'm trying to format line spacing for paragraphs.

I upgraded the desktop Evernote program today (I'm on Windows 7) and the line spacing has completely changed in my notes. It used to be that hitting "return" gave me a 1.5 space between lines, which was perfect for my use here at work. Now it brings me to the next line with no space between them - and when I try to simply hit "return" again to add a blank line between the two items, the top item moves up a line instead of just inserting that blank line.

That's hard to explain in writing, so for example if I have:

Item 1

Item 2

Item 3

and I want to add a blank line between all of them, I hit "return" after Item 1 and it looks like this:

Item 1

Item 2

Item 3

Then if I try to add another blank line between Items 2 and 3, it does this:

Item 1

Item 2

Item 3

How do I change formatting back to the 1.5 lines that were automatically added when I hit "return"? Or at the least, how can I just add a blank line between paragraphs without lines jumping around?

Thank you!

• Level 5*

I can't replicate what you have above with a note created in EN.  Is the text created somewhere else (pasted, clipped, emailed)?

IAC, I don't know about the 1.5 lines, but maybe a space in the blank line will hold it in place?

Windows line spacing went from 1,0 to about 1,3. It's HORRIBLE. I will be moving whatever of my productive pages I can to OneNote.

Evernote again proves it has one use -- as a dump for reference materials. It is not an environment for productive work..

• Level 5*

@mmeutr0n

Doesn't look like the formatting from the web page is making it into the EN note.  Sounds like from your first post that this did not work on previous releases.  If that's the case I would submit a bug report.

The line spacing is definitely increased as I reported in a previous post. This means:

• Less information on one page
  • Indented lists don't look so nice (But then again indentation of normal note text on the iOS has been broken for a ridiculous 2+ years!)

However, there is one redeeming improvement -- bulleted lists no longer have white space before and after the bulleted lists, at least in Windows. The extra unnecessary white space still shows up on iOS.

It's really quite annoying the EN can't get notes to look the same in all platforms, keeps changing the way notes appear, and takes away basic functionality.

EN is not a reliable or stable platform in terms of functionality,

Since my initial post for this thread the problem with lines jumping around has stopped - and I discovered another problem with my computer that could have been the cause of that (or something about the upgrade sorted itself out). So that's a good change at least. 

But it is still disappointing that there's not a 1.5 space between paragraphs. I realize not everyone would want this, but it was perfect for my use of EN. Now I have to double-space between paragraphs, which wastes room with the amount of paragraphs in my notes, and that spacing isn't always consistent. I wish EN would just give us the ability to apply our own space, even it if was just a choice of either 1.0 or 1.5. The other options that it does give us are great but that one would be helpful too.

• Level 5*

Goes without saying (but I'm going to anyway) that if layout is important to you,  there's a gazillion options out there of 'proper' document layout apps that will let you design and format to your heart's content,  and it's possible (if you wish) to use PDF files to display that content in your notes in all its glory.

I'm not happy with the line spacing in the latest update. However, there must have been a reason. If EN ever decides to revisit it, I'd vote to go back. But can't give up my EN because of the line spacing. I'll probably get used to it, then fuss when they go back. :mellow:

Something has definitely happened with a recent update.

I use Ctrl + Shift + -   to create lines. I often do that key combo twice, to get to close lines, stacked above each other... now they have a space between them and i cant remove it, without the line disappearing.

Agree with those around EN being a pain to be productive with in terms of weird development quirks and formatting issues when pasting between Microsoft office products - My premium account expired, i think its time to re-look at OneNote w/ OneDrive syncing between devices.

• 7 months later...

Can't even control line spacing after soooo many years of complaints and frustration on the part of so many users?

Line spacing matters EN execs! It's a note taking app for chrissake... how can you prevent users from having so much difficulty in adjusting line spacing?

Makes absolutely no sense. Something's not right.

EN for taking written notes? 

NOT.

Archived