Note is opening in new window

BayRidge

I upgraded to Windows 10 and lost a lot of stuff. I reinstalled Evernote premium and synced so nothing was lost there. The problem is that now when I do a search for something, find it and click on it, it opens in a new window. On my old Win 7 OS it used to just open in the right frame, which is what I want. Please let me know how to do this.

I'm having a simillar issue, but I'm on Win7 and it's been happening since I upgraded my EN the time before last. I had one specific note filled with links that would go to the browser to open each note. I cleared and relinked each associated note. EN's response so far has been to tell me they have moved my issue on to their QA Lead for testing and to assign it a priority, then email me a "rate our response" email, as if the issue was closed.

Today I foolishly upgraded to V 5.9.0.8665 (276665) Public and now ALL my links, in EVERY note I've tried, opens a new browser tab AND then open, in the EN windows client. EN also asks me to log in on the web every time I try a link, but I've closed my browser (I don't let my browser save passwords). I use EN all day, every day at work and this is almost unusable.

I'm waiting for their response and wondering how to revert to an older installation.

I just found this discussion and am thinking I as a little hasty in my criticism.

Basically, at some point they changed the way the paste behavior acts once you right click and select 'copy note link'. The CLASSIC behavior is to always make a link within EN. The NEW behavior is to link to the browser version when you use control K, to access the URL dialog box, but the familiar internal link when you simply paste.

I simply failed to notice the change - much to my detriment. I'd like to know when / why the behavior of going to browser links started. Up until the update before the most recent (the most recent for me being V5.9.0.8665 (276665) Public) I NEVER got links that went to the browser unless I copied the URL of some page.

I see two problems - at least for me - since I create links constantly:

1. I need to add my link to the text I enter most of the time. Linking to the note title is sometimes too long or confusing for others.
  2. How can I get all my existing, unintentional, external note links to point internally? I have so many links that I almost can't go back and redo each one. The difficulty of finding what I want just be searching (I'm up to almost 10,000 notes) is the reason I started using links in the first place.

All in all, I do love EN and have been a Premium member since 2010. EN has changed a tedious job that involved a bookcase full of paper docs into an indexed, accessible, searchable experience that allows me to hold the contents of that bookshelf in the palm of my hand, in the field.

EN, help me with point #2 and I'll figure out #1!

It would be a lot easier to see both options - 'Create http Note Link' and 'Create internal Note Link' on the right click menu.

Now I understand why some of my links go to the web from my phone, but not others. Odd that it didn't start happening my computer until recently.

• Level 5*

Hi.  I don't know why code which should generate a 'classic' link would default to a web link instead,  but I doubt there's a way to batch convert those links back to classic.  It might be useful to check whether a search for "https://www.evernote.com/shard/*"(note the asterisk..) will generate a list of affected notes,  and if not,  verify the actual content of the rogue links which now bring up the web version. 

That information might help Evernote determine what went wrong here,  and -maybe- create a fix.  Since this thread is only a day old (although I get that the issue is way older...) Evernote won't be responding to any individual support requests for a day or two at least.  It can take a few days in normal circumstances,  and we just came off a weekend (which the support team don't work) so they'll have a backlog to clear.

If anyone wants more feedback,  there's the chat option on the support page,  or Twitter and @EvernoteHelps.

Meantime if you can identify any notes with incorrect links it would be useful to tag them so you can manually correct the ones you use,  pending anything further from EN...

...and the https link above shouldn't be highlighted,  but the forums are unfortunately smart enough to flag the URL format...

• Level 5*

Hi.  I don't know why code which should generate a 'classic' link would default to a web link instead . . .

This actually happened in EN Mac, without notice, months ago.

I agree, I see no reason for this logic, for this change, which now seems to have migrated to EN Win.  :(

I love the way this thread that I started, has become something else. If you have a different problem how about starting your own GD thread? Neither other problem is like mine and if it was, you should just say so and wait for an answer. Now I need to start a new effing thread about MY GD problem and stay the F off it it unless you know the answer.

Where the F is Evernote support? I'll be thinking about this next time my effing yearly 'premium charge' is due. Maybe I read it wrong and it was 'UNSUPPORTED' instead of 'unlimited support.'

• Level 5*

This is a user forum,  not a direct line to Support - if you want them to comment directly,  log a fault via https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action, use the Chat option or Tweet @EvernoteHelps.  If you check the other Win10 threads on the forum,  a variety of folks are having different problems with it.  Evernote has already included some upgrades for Win10 in the latest EN Win version (or at least the current Beta) so they are apparently working on it. 

I upgraded to Windows 10 and lost a lot of stuff. I reinstalled Evernote premium and synced so nothing was lost there. The problem is that now when I do a search for something, find it and click on it, it opens in a new window. On my old Win 7 OS it used to just open in the right frame, which is what I want. Please let me know how to do this.

It may not be a Windows 10 problem, but a deliberate change in functionality in the latest version of Evernote.

If I understand correctly I may have the same problem. Until I upgraded two days ago when I clicked on a link to another note it opened in the same window replacing the note that contained the original link. After the upgrade this still works if I only have one main Evernote window open. What has changed is that if I have opened a note in its own window and click on a link in it, focus jumps to the main Evernote window and the linked note opens there. Is this the behaviour you have seen?

This change occurred when I upgraded to "Evernote for Windows 5.9.0.8665 (276665) Public". I am using Windows 7.

I have asked support about it and they say it is not a bug, but a deliberate change in functionality. However, they can give no explanation of what advantages it brings or how to use it. Any ideas?

There also seems to be a new bug that the main window gets resized sometimes when it gets focus after you have clicked on the link in a note window.

Restoring the original behaviour should at least be an option. Working out how to deal with this and then retraining my brain is going to cost many hours... 

PS - I just got a response from support which suggests that they have a lot of negative feedback on this and it will probably be changed back at some point - if I understood correctly.

The same thing happened to my Win7 installation of Evernote. I updated this morning and now all of the links open in the Evernote for the web instead of Evernote for Chrome. To top it off, all of my notes are not in font size 17. This update shouldn't have been a public release. 

Archived