Search problem?

Chickaloon

I have two notes tagged "Rick" in a notebook "Action Pending". When I go to that notebook and look for notes with tag Rick I find the two I have.

When I enter a query or try to create a shortcut with the following, no notes show up:

tag:Rick notebook:"Action Pending"

What am I missing here?

• Level 5

Yup, just figured that out. As a programmer, I don't understand why on earth it can't be done both ways. Would cut down on support issues I imagine.

I believe it is to allow the "any:" search grammar to work correctly.

According to Dave Engberg (Evernote CTO)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The search may start with one "notebook:..." parameter, or none.

Then, you may add the "any:" operator.

After that, you can add any other terms in any order.

The ordering of those first two terms is just to make their precedence more clear ... the "any:" operator doesn't apply to the notebook. So if you want to find any notes in the Cooking notebook tagged with either "Mexican" or "Italian", it would be:

notebook:"Cooking" any: tag:"Mexican" tag:"Italian"

Putting the notebook first makes it clear that the "any" listing is just the stuff after it.

• Level 5*

@jbenson,

Could be for sure.  You can only ANY tags so notebooks aren't even considered. 

Kind of the same, but it might have more to do with only only one notebook/stack is searchable at a time.  If Notebook: is not the first thing you type then everything you type after that is just a search value, all applied to whatever context you were in when you started typing.  tag:cal notebook:inbox ends up being a search for notes tagged cal containing notebook and inbox (: disappears as we know).

Probably a less than user friendly design for sure (if I want to enter my tags and notebook in whatever sequence) and easier for a programmer to unpack the parameters if they are in a reliable sequence.  FWIW.

Well, I've found search to be one of the least intuitive and downright buggy things (depending on platform) about Evernote. Which is interesting since they tout it as a "put everything in here and never lose it!" app, Fortunately I don't have to use the search that often. Woe if I did.

Archived