New Evernote For Windows 5.9.1

We just released an update, 5.9.1. You can download it here.

In this update we:

• Fixed a bug where some note links would open in an external browser
  • Fixed a bug where the window could not be re-sized below a certain width

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new version of Evernote for Windows is available. You can download it here.

Release notes for 5.9.0:

Improved sync
  • Most recently updated content syncs first
  • Changes to notes are synced to Evernote immediately

Improved note editor

• Hitting tab from the note title now enters the note body
  • Formatting remains consistent when moving between Windows and Mac
  • Enhanced checkbox styling
  • Fixed formatting and performance issues with bulleted, numbered, and checkbox lists
  • Fixed inconsistent copy/paste and undo behavior
New table features
  • Click and drag to resize column widths
  • Improved copy/paste support with external applications

Windows 10 bug fixes:

• Only one icon appears when Evernote is pinned to the taskbar
  • Alternative drives can be selected for the database location 

Multiple bug fixes and stability improvements

---

Outlook Clipper bug fixes

• Crashes when you try to clip an email in some Outlook / Win configurations.
  • 'COM Initialization' error.
  • 'No declaration for attribute style of element BODY' error.
  • Missing button in ribbon toolbar for some Outlook / Win configurations.
  • 'No declaration for attribute style of element BODY' error
  • Keyboard shortcuts from previous version should are re-instated.
  • Notebook list order not being alphabetical. 
  • Email sender is now set to author as note meta data. 

Batch / multi select email clipping is not ready yet but we're targeting next release. 

Give us your feedback! Go to Help > Rate Evernote for Windows

A very smooth update. :)

Finally resizing columns in tables! And copy-paste. That will make my life a little easier!

I just hope that the annoying Read-only pop-up will be buried and forgotten... Haven't restart main computer... ;)

• Level 5*

Justin,

A drag highlight and copy paste into a new note produces the below.  Note the spacing that is lost in the copy/paste.  Is this a different kind of copy/paste than referenced above?  Also, paste and match style keeps the line spacing but converts the bullets to dashes and does not indent the bullets.  Looks better to some extent.  Just wondering.

post-58142-0-38433600-1440641427_thumb.p

Finally resizing columns in tables! And copy-paste. That will make my life a little easier!

I just hope that the annoying Read-only pop-up will be buried and forgotten... Haven't restart main computer... ;)

What do you mean, by "the annoying Read-only pop-up" ?

I'm still waiting for a Read-Only mode, to prevent unintended note changes. Evernote for Android does a perfect job there !

What do you mean, by "the annoying Read-only pop-up" ?

I'm still waiting for a Read-Only mode, to prevent unintended note changes. Evernote for Android does a perfect job there !

When Evernote start in Windows (often when Evernote is in autostart) it shows a "read - only" pop-up. A bug

Everything is editable and so.

So no readonly mode yet. Just a lying pop-up window

• Level 5*

It appears you can no longer deselect "enable beta features."  The option is there and you can deselect it but it does not appear to do anything.  Not sure if this is a bug or if they just neglected to remove the option from the menu.  Either way, this was my work around the check boxes don't copy outside of EN problem.  I checked that the option was still there before updating my main system ... I wish I had thought to check that the option still worked ... sigh ..

• Level 5*

initial experience - very good.  Installed new version on two laptops - had to check to make sure the new version had installed,  the operation went through in the background while I worked.

One query - have tried to annotate and crop one image;  reduced the size of the picture and chose 'save and exit'... but the note picture didn't change.  Did it again just in case I hit the wrong option somewhere..  nope,  still a big picture.  Then had problems with 'open with' to get the picture into an external processor.  Cropped it there and replaced the original.  That worked fine.

Will try again later...

I'm still having high DPI scaling issues (Thinkpad X1 Carbon hi res laptop). Without any Compatibility settings all fonts are big and fuzzy. I have to select "Disable display scaling on High DPI settings" to make it look nice and sharp. Since 5.9.0 however, the title font of my notes has become very small, smaller than most other fonts.

I found a dead certain way to loose a pdf import note: In an attempt to enlarge my note title font, I highlighted the title text, right-clicked to select Font..., changed the font size and clicked OK -> the pdf seems larger, when I click another note and then go back to the one I tried to change the font of the pdf is gone and the note seems empty. I can reproduce this with 100% certainty.

I'm still having high DPI scaling issues (Thinkpad X1 Carbon hi res laptop). Without any Compatibility settings all fonts are big and fuzzy. I have to select "Disable display scaling on High DPI settings" to make it look nice and sharp. Since 5.9.0 however, the title font of my notes has become very small, smaller than most other fonts.

Because we don't support hiDPI (yet). By turning on the system option to not scale, well, you can see why we don't support hiDPI yet.

When Evernote start in Windows (often when Evernote is in autostart) it shows a "read - only" pop-up. A bug

This was fixed in one of the earlier betas. (Can't remember which one off hand...)

This was fixed in one of the earlier betas. (Can't remember which one off hand...)

When I have deadlines I don't install betas... Just in case... ;)

the new update makes it impossible to type notes while watching a lecture on the same screen. Evernote doesnt let me decrease it's usage of the screen to half. This makes it impossible to have to programs taking half a screen each. Extremely frustrating

• Level 5

When I have deadlines I don't install betas... Just in case... ;)

I go one step further and wait one month after a General Release. I lurk on the sidelines and watch the forum for problems with the release. If there are a lot of issues, I will delay the installation for another 30 days.

To remind me of the delayed update, I screen-capture the information on the "A new version of Evernote is available!" notice. Then I change the created date to one month later.  (This could also be done with the Evernote reminder system.)

If I use Ctrl-X to cut some lines of text near the top of a note, then move the cursor several lines down towards the bottom of the note and hit Ctrl-V to paste, the cursor starts blinking near the top of the note where the original text was. Only when I then press one of the arrow keys does the position of the cursor update correctly to reflect its new location near the bottom of the note.

the new update makes it impossible to type notes while watching a lecture on the same screen. Evernote doesnt let me decrease it's usage of the screen to half. This makes it impossible to have to programs taking half a screen each. Extremely frustrating

I concur. Why has Evernote made the window so unresizable, imposing an excessively large minimum width. This is ridiculous. Like many others, I use this program to transfer, transcribe, or compare content to/from PDFs, web browsers, and Word, in half-screen. Now it takes up most of my 15.6" laptop screen. What happened to multi-tasking??

This update apparently added more spacing between lines. Now my paragraphs look larger and my otherwise small notes with many line breaks feel kind of crowded. Is this intended or is it a bug? If it's intended, is it possible to change line spacing? Or will it be possible in the future?

This update apparently added more spacing between lines. Now my paragraphs look larger and my otherwise small notes with many line breaks feel kind of crowded. Is this intended or is it a bug? If it's intended, is it possible to change line spacing? Or will it be possible in the future?

Me too. Back to the original.

Troubled by the new airy view (linespacing).  For high info-density records I'd welcome a linespacing option.

Does this "airy linespacing" issue only happen with free-flow text notes... or does the extra airiness also happen between bullets, checkbox, etc... lists

Will not update if the airiness is universal.

Troubled by the new airy view (linespacing).  For high info-density records I'd welcome a linespacing option.

Does this "airy linespacing" issue only happen with free-flow text notes... or does the extra airiness also happen between bullets, checkbox, etc... lists

Will not update if the airiness is universal.

Seems to be universal. Like Schooner suggested, a line spacing option would fix it.

I noticed a significantly reduced performance when typing new text near the top of a rather big note.

The note has a size of about 600 K (200 K characters, plain text only).

When I hit return, it takes almost a second till the line break is inserted. Typing normal characters is not that slow, but such keystrokes also appear to "hang" a little at times.

Has anybody else also noticed that?

P.S. This behaviour is already well known to me in the iOS version of Evernote. I avoid editing large amounts of note text on my iPad, because that is excruciatingly slow.

A Bug has been also added in this version.

When you selecct a note from note list, it is not shown properly in Note Panel.

Note title is correct, but note content is from another note, which do not change, when another note is selected.

I have version 5.9.0.8665

This worked in previous versions.

What does "Changes to notes are synced to Evernote immediately" exactly mean? Is this supposed to be real-time sync becuase it isn't working for me.

I agree with those complaining about the inflexibility regarding windows size of the new client. Also the sidebar isn't resizable anymore. Why is that?? It would be nice to have an icons-only feature for the sidebar like some windows 10 apps have.

Linespacing option is a must and I'll also love the ability to change the default font color for notes.

• Level 5*

What does "Changes to notes are synced to Evernote immediately" exactly mean? Is this supposed to be real-time sync becuase it isn't working for me.

I agree with those complaining about the inflexibility regarding windows size of the new client. Also the sidebar isn't resizable anymore. Why is that?? It would be nice to have an icons-only feature for the sidebar like some windows 10 apps have.

Linespacing option is a must and I'll also love the ability to change the default font color for notes.

Answered in another thread somewhere,  but...  when you finish (or Evernote think you have finished) editing a note,  the record will be updated within a few seconds if an online connection is available.

Don't know why the window size is fixed,  but the minimum widths were presumably chosen to show some detail at minimum sizes - which seems to be around 900px.

Icons-only and linespacing are feature requests - Win10 development seems to be ongoing.

Icons-only and linespacing are feature requests - Win10 development seems to be ongoing.

Well, yes, they are feature requests. But I wouldn't be asking for linespacing if it hadn't been changed in this version. I was perfectly fine with the previous, fixed spacing. Now I feel bugged whenever I look at my notes, and that's terrible for productivity. Notes also look extra-cramped because of the left columns' minimum width issue. I was already used to work with a fixed size window and a certain amount of visible text in my notes.

Also, tables can no longer have other tables inside, which was a workaround for me to organize certain information without wasting note space. I like the new tables though, and I kind of expected them to be updated sometime.

Can someone from the Evernote team address if there are any plans regarding linespacing, please?

Answered in another thread somewhere,  but...  when you finish (or Evernote think you have finished) editing a note,  the record will be updated within a few seconds if an online connection is available.

Don't know why the window size is fixed,  but the minimum widths were presumably chosen to show some detail at minimum sizes - which seems to be around 900px.

Thank you for answering! 

The auto sync doesn't work for me. Notes only get updated when the scheduled sync happens. Does anyone notice any difference in note synchronization with the previous version?

Regarding window fixed size, I get your point although I think Evernote should let its users decide how much detail they are happy with. The sidebar should also be made resizable again 

• Level 5*

Notes also look extra-cramped because of the left columns' minimum width issue. I was already used to work with a fixed size window and a certain amount of visible text in my notes

May not help, but have you tried F10 to hide the left panel?  I've found the only thing I need the left panel for anymore is to empty the trash or the occasional view of all tags, and its only an F10 away.  FWIW.

The 5.9.0 update on Win 7 is a disaster.

All of my links now open on my web browser instead of in Evernote.

All of my notes are not in font size 17. It's easy on the eyes but takes up a lot of room, not to mention that I never selected this font size. 

When a note is created without a title, it will be generated automatically using the first line of the note content. Any time you modify this content, the title is synchronised accordingly. However if you do provide a specific title; this one will prevail whatever you do with the content.

This works fine, as in the previous version, and it is very handy. However, there is a slight change of behaviour that is disturbing. In the previous version, when you had provided for a specific title, you could, at any time, get rid of it by clearing the entry field, and then the title would be generated again using the first line of the note content, as if the note was created from scratch. This doesn't work anymore : either you have to copy the first line by yourself or you have to create a new note entirely again to get the automatic link between the note content and the tile.

I don't see why the previous behaviour has been abondonned. I don't understand either why this automatic generation of tile is not available as well in the android's client.

Regards.

Thanks for the new release. I upgraded but one of my most used Evernote features seems broken (verified against another v5.8.x install).

My post 'URL to Title drag & drop broken in ver 5.9.0.8665?' is currently in the Windows Help section of the forum. It describes the issue with drag and drop of URLs from browser address bars not being saved in a note with the page title--how things function still in 5.8.x versions.

Feature change or bug?

If a moderator wants to move that message from 'Help' to 'Feedback' it may get more traction if it is an actual bug.

Thanks!

Tim

I would also like the note link bug to be fixed:

Cross-post from General Discussion:

Yes, I have the same experience in the Windows application. Although I only just discovered this feature a few days ago.

Links in notes like:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/xyz/1234568/abcdefgh-0000-000000000

does not open the note in the application, but instead opens in the default web browser.

This got broken in 5.9.0.8665.

Could you please fix it? Thanks. :-)

tables stopped working properly today with v. 5.9.0.8665

Anytime I press the ENTER key inside a table cell, the table breaks.  No longer possible to have two rows inside a table cell. 

Went back to the previous version.  Can't use the new version with the table structure breaking every time I try to enter new information into an existing table.

Because we don't support hiDPI (yet). By turning on the system option to not scale, well, you can see why we don't support hiDPI yet.

High DPI screens are quickly becoming the norm. Evernote is one of the last (productivity) applications not to support it. It looks unprofessional and is frankly kind of annoying. I would put it higher on the priority list.

We just released an update, 5.9.1. You can download it here.

In this update we:

• Fixed a bug where some note links would open in an external browser
  • Fixed a bug where the window could not be re-sized below a certain width

Any thoughts on the extra airy linefeed issue?  That is the item delaying me from updating.

Cross posted from Forum Topic: "Table formatting messed up in the latest update" describing problem with tables used as templates:

This is becoming a serious pain in the butt as far as I am concerned. As mentioned above I am using templates based on tables stored in Evernote to process applications. I get an application - I fill in a blank template - I send completed template to applicant - I bank money from applicant: Like - this is how I make a living!

Now: One part of the template is a table consisting of one column and seven rows. Each row of the table contains several lines of text and to complete the template it is necessary to insert information after the text in each line. It is sometimes necessary hit carriage return to create a new (blank line) after the text that has just been entered. What now happens if you hit carriage return within a row is that instead of just opening up a blank line within the row, Evernote splits the table - the line where the cursor was when you hit carriage return now floats as a row all by itself, and the following line of text floats in a space below the (now floating) row above. Yes, Ctrl+Z will recover it to where I was before - sometimes, not always.

Come on guys - this is not how it is supposed to work!

Another problem:

Part of the template is a check list consisting of a two line table with 8 columns. The upper row has check items already filled in, responses to the check list are entered in the second row when completing the application form. It used to be possible to move back along the 2nd row when filling in the check responses to edit previous text entries. Not any longer! Shift+Tab will take you back to a previous cell, but if you try and edit the contents of that cell, either the text will freeze solid and can't be edited - or - the table  will split (as described above) and the text in the cell you were trying to edit floats in free space between the row that has just become detached, and the rest of the table.

Come on guys - that isn't supposed to happen either!

Could we please please have some resort resource on this problem to get it solved yesterday if not sooner? This is a serious problem!!!

I am going cross post this to the Ver 5.9.1 release thread - just in case support don't visit here!

Since updating to Ver 5.9.1 there seems to be new behavior involved with the way Notebook column re-sizing works. It always defaults to width of 215 px no matter how many times I manually resize it, as soon as I switch windows or minimize Evernote window, the Notebook column goes back to 215 px. This is a problem since I have notebook names that are longer than that and I want them to be visible. This is something I noticed since Ver 5.9.1. Either its a BUG or a new forced behavior that I didn't ask for or want. Please revert back to the manual way or re sizing it and evernote remembering the values. Thank you.

Here are screenshots to illustrate the problem.

sshot_1.jpg

sshot_2.jpg

sshot_3.jpg

The ability to resize columns in tables is very welcome and hopefully just the start of some long overdue improvements to the editor.

It's really difficult to actually see the table borders though, they follow the same crazy light-grey-on-white colour scheme as other elements of the UI and are almost invisible. Anything to let us change the border width or colour would be very useful.

Also it doesn't seem possible to change the alignment of tables within the page, now that they no longer need to occupy the full width of the page I'd like to be able to centre them.

• Level 5*

Since updating to Ver 5.9.1 there seems to be new behavior involved with the way Notebook column re-sizing works. It always defaults to width of 215 px no matter how many times I manually resize it, as soon as I switch windows or minimize Evernote window, the Notebook column goes back to 215 px. This is a problem since I have notebook names that are longer than that and I want them to be visible. This is something I noticed since Ver 5.9.1. Either its a BUG or a new forced behavior that I didn't ask for or want. Please revert back to the manual way or re sizing it and evernote remembering the values. Thank you.

Aaaaaand this bug is back. Same on my machine. Drat.

Aaaaaand this bug is back. Same on my machine. Drat.

You had it before? You mean I'm not crazy? Hehehe.

I have the latest version on my windows desktop and can't resize the window and be able to see my notes. When it get smaller there is no horizontal scroll bar. Please fix this asap, I can't use evernote as it takes over my whole screen. 

post-268765-0-72965200-1441905336_thumb.

Errrm! There does seem to be a certain amount of silence from the Evernote team on the various table issues noted above. I would like to think that someone (or even better, someones - plural) at the Evernote Mothership is/are seriously and intellectually addressing this (these) problems - but the silence is just a trifle worrying. In the meantime I have rolled back to 5.8.12 (with some help from rchris) and am getting on with some productive (and revenue producing) work - but it would be nice to have some re-assurance that the problem is not just being ignored, or has simply been allocated to the three-legged, one-eyed cat that guards the back door.

I am unable to unable to Click and drag to resize column widths in either EN 5.9 or 5.91. I finally downloaded the latest version of 5.8 from filehippo.com. That worked. I also have the impression that version 5.9 somehow inhibits the Windows installed. It hangs for a very long time, or in some cases, never completes installation. I'm happy to see constant improvement in EN, but 5.9, at this time, seems extremely buggy.

tables stopped working properly today with v. 5.9.0.8665

Anytime I press the ENTER key inside a table cell, the table breaks.  No longer possible to have two rows inside a table cell. 

Check out "Table Formatting Messed Up in Latest Update".

Releasing an auto-update that screws up basic/core functionality like this is pretty unacceptable. If EN's quality control has gotten this bad, maybe it's time to start thinking about OneNote?

If I attempt to import a Onenote note (unless that note is empty) it crashes Onenote. Is this a known issue. Is there any fix planned? I currently export my Onenote notes to PDF to import them into Evernote. I don't know if the import feature would produce better results, but I can't tell because it doesn't work.

• Level 5*

Last time I used it (a while ago,  testing) the import function worked fine,  but ON has updated a lot since then.  Don't know how much priority EN will apply to updating it - if there are other changes in the pipeline it could be an ongoing task,  and accidentally or otherwise MS might have made the process more difficult.  Don't see what you lose by simply PDF-ing the content...

• Level 5*

There are still problems re-arranging Reminders. You can see in this GIF I recorded that it skips one above where I'm trying to stick it, and doesn't work when I try to drag it down to that spot, either.

040d6883b96e5c895c60380495a562bd.gif

• Level 5*

Also, I'm really starting to hate this insta-sync thing. The Mac EN client has been slow as dirt for ages because of it, and on Windows I'm CONSTANTLY losing what I'm typing because the bugger is syncing. It doesn't happen with body text, but if I'm typing in the title field, or the tag field, I can randomly lose what I'm doing as EN decides "Now's a good time to sync!" when it's really, really not. 

Is this what I un-tick to turn this feature off? I'd rather it just sync every 10 minutes like it used to... my patience has worn to the bone on this one.

-YHMaJa_Bw.jpg

• Level 5*

Oops, another... boy I'm on a roll.

If I close out of the app completely (exiting the app and closing from the toolbar tray) I can't open the app again. I have to reboot my computer before it'll come up. And oddly enough, when I do that my sidebar stays the right size. It's only when minimizing or just exiting the Evernote window that it resets the sidebar size.

If I close out of the app completely (exiting the app and closing from the toolbar tray) I can't open the app again. I have to reboot my computer before it'll come up. 

Sometimes when closing down, the program deadlocks. We have reduced, but not yet eliminated, the occurrences. Since it is timing-related, they are exceedingly difficult to reproduce.

Instead of rebooting, start Task Manager and kill evernote.exe. That should allow opening it again.

A feature I used frequently on Windows was clearing the Title field, the note would adjust the title to the first line in the file (i.e. like a pointer).

It was cool/convenient to allow me to edit the note itself and the title would automatically adjust too.  A very nice time saver.

Windows has been the best client for a lot of edits.

Hopefully this is considered a regression by your guys too

Thanks,

Andy

I noticed a significantly reduced performance when typing new text near the top of a rather big note.

The note has a size of about 600 K (200 K characters, plain text only).

When I hit return, it takes almost a second till the line break is inserted. Typing normal characters is not that slow, but such keystrokes also appear to "hang" a little at times.

Has anybody else also noticed that?

P.S. This behaviour is already well known to me in the iOS version of Evernote. I avoid editing large amounts of note text on my iPad, because that is excruciatingly slow.

Yes I also notice delay in notes now. Already at 20.000 characters I can feel it, although it's probably no more than 1/10 - 2/10 of a second. If I repeatedly and quickly press <enter>, Evernote delays GUI response and consumes an entire CPU core just handling the new lines. Looks like the note editor is doing some processing in the note data handling this. It seems to be heavier close to checkboxes in the text than elsewhere. 

• Level 5*

I've noticed this just recently, before the public release came out. I maintain bulleted lists of tasks, one per line, with a to-do checkbox at the start of the line (between the bullet and the text). Often times, the text consists of a note link, but it can also be a regular web link, or just unadorned text.

The problem I've seen is this: if I have a line with a note link, then clicking on the checkbox (to mark it as done, say), then note frame will switch the current note to a different note (which might be the note that the note link is pointing, might be a different one). This doesn't occur normally with a line that contains a regular web link; however, if you copy a checkbox from a line that contains a note link, the checkbox exhibits the behavior as well. 

As you can imagine, this is a tooth-grinding surprise context switch / concentration breaker. I hope it's not intentional behavior.

*** Late-breaking discovery: if you right-click in the box, this doesn't happen: it just toggles the checkbox state. Even so...

Having installed 5.9.1.8742 I have the following annoying bug.

Running Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 3 with external monitor and Evernote on the SP3

When I create a Diary Note, I put a 'checkbox' then a line.

But having created the 'checkbox' when I press enter, the cursor actually deletes the 'checkbox'! The only way round this is to scroll down to the next line.

Unable to test on other Windows computers until Monday so don't know if this is related to the upgrade, but can confirm it was not there before.

Regards

Chris

Running Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 3 with external monitor and Evernote on the SP3

But having created the 'checkbox' when I press enter, the cursor actually deletes the 'checkbox'! The only way round this is to scroll down to the next line.

Unable to test on other Windows computers until Monday so don't know if this is related to the upgrade, but can confirm it was not there before.

Regards

Chris

I use Checkboxes a lot.  Checkboxes have been wonky since they were introduced.  Should have been cleaned up long ago.

Regards

Chris

I use Checkboxes a lot.  Checkboxes have been wonky since they were introduced.  Should have been cleaned up long ago.

Been using checkboxes since I started with Evernote and not had a problem. This is a new one for me.

Regards

Chris

Regards

Chris

Been using checkboxes since I started with Evernote and not had a problem. This is a new one for me.

Regards

Chris

I realized this discussion is related to the Windows version.  Checkboxes have been wonky from the start on iOS.

Still waiting for a reply regarding linespacing; please, Evernote team.

Even "no, current linespacing isn't a bug and a linespacing setting won't be a added in the future" would be better than no reply.

Agreed.  The airy linespacing problem is what is holding me back from upgrading the Windows version.  Evernote?

• Level 5*

I don't think Evernote respond much over the weekend - or normally at all - to customer feedback on design issues or ongoing development.  The trouble with any response is that someone comes back with another question,  or an objection,  and the conversation could go on and on...

If a sufficient number of people register objections they might prioritise a fix - if this is a bug of some sort - but if it's a design decision,  they probably won't.  Anyone remember any changes that have been reversed by customer objections over the past 5 years?  Anybody?

If the current app bugs you where previous versions didn't,  you could step back,  temporarily at least.  Otherwise the choices are:  get used to how it is,  find a workaround,  or go elsewhere.

I don't think Evernote respond much over the weekend - or normally at all - to customer feedback on design issues or ongoing development. The trouble with any response is that someone comes back with another question, or an objection, and the conversation could go on and on...

If a sufficient number of people register objections they might prioritise a fix - if this is a bug of some sort - but if it's a design decision, they probably won't. Anyone remember any changes that have been reversed by customer objections over the past 5 years? Anybody?

If the current app bugs you where previous versions didn't, you could step back, temporarily at least. Otherwise the choices are: get used to how it is, find a workaround, or go elsewhere.

EN not responding on weekends - except the airy line pacing issue has been here for weeks. EN must have longgg weekends! Or not respond at all.

Seems like the courtesy of a simple response would be much appreciated. Even if it is "we intentionally made text notes airy and spread out."

.......................The trouble with any response is that someone comes back with another question,  or an objection,  and the conversation could go on and on.............

Oh no they don't!

BUG report: 

I am using 5.9.1 for Windows but access Evernote on IOS and web too.

Recently I have been using ANNOTATE this PDF.  I have now LOST several PDFs from notes after using this ANNOTATOR.

Evernote cannot identify the source of the error in their code.  Please be warned not to use this functionality until it is fixed.  It's seemed to be such a great tool to COMMENT on a PDF without having to go out to another application or use Skitch which was never very well integrated.

Please be warned.

Sabina

Hi I have installed Evernote 5.9.1.8742 for windows 10. 

Unfortunately I cannot login to the client. I get the "Can't connect to server" error. My account is working fine on the Web but I am unable to login to the PC client even after multiple install-uninstall cycles.  :mellow:

I checked the windows firewall and all Inbound rules are enabled for Evernote. 

In the internet options SSL 3.0 is also unchecked. 

I am not sure what other workarounds are possible. 

The 'URL drag and drop convert to page title' in a note is still broken in 5.9.1

While we wait for the next 5.9.1 revision, I have opted to downgrade back to 5.8.13.8152 and my dragn and drop URL with Title functionality is back.

For Windows users, I was able to uninstall v5.9.1 via Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, and then reinstall the older 5.8.x version I downloaded via FileHippo. After logging back into Evernote, everything was where I expected to find it.

I did make sure to sync my buggy 5.9.1 version's notes BEFORE uninstalling & downgrading.

• Level 5*

If a sufficient number of people register objections they might prioritise a fix - if this is a bug of some sort - but if it's a design decision,  they probably won't.  Anyone remember any changes that have been reversed by customer objections over the past 5 years?  Anybody?

I do have to mention that after a plethora of complaints, the Mac 6.X version of EN now has a dark sidebar again, which was removed in the 6.0 version.

Though I enjoy the new line-spacing here—it's much easier to read.

Cross posted from Forum Topic: "Table formatting messed up in the latest update" describing problem with tables used as templates:

This is becoming a serious pain in the butt as far as I am concerned. As mentioned above I am using templates based on tables stored in Evernote to process applications. I get an application - I fill in a blank template - I send completed template to applicant - I bank money from applicant: Like - this is how I make a living!

Now: One part of the template is a table consisting of one column and seven rows. Each row of the table contains several lines of text and to complete the template it is necessary to insert information after the text in each line. It is sometimes necessary hit carriage return to create a new (blank line) after the text that has just been entered. What now happens if you hit carriage return within a row is that instead of just opening up a blank line within the row, Evernote splits the table - the line where the cursor was when you hit carriage return now floats as a row all by itself, and the following line of text floats in a space below the (now floating) row above. Yes, Ctrl+Z will recover it to where I was before - sometimes, not always.

Come on guys - this is not how it is supposed to work!

Another problem:

Part of the template is a check list consisting of a two line table with 8 columns. The upper row has check items already filled in, responses to the check list are entered in the second row when completing the application form. It used to be possible to move back along the 2nd row when filling in the check responses to edit previous text entries. Not any longer! Shift+Tab will take you back to a previous cell, but if you try and edit the contents of that cell, either the text will freeze solid and can't be edited - or - the table  will split (as described above) and the text in the cell you were trying to edit floats in free space between the row that has just become detached, and the rest of the table.

Come on guys - that isn't supposed to happen either!

Could we please please have some resort resource on this problem to get it solved yesterday if not sooner? This is a serious problem!!!

I am going cross post this to the Ver 5.9.1 release thread - just in case support don't visit here!

Thanks for the detailed feedback... these issues are logged and we'll do our best to fix them soon.  So sorry about that...  

I don't know if this will work for you, but these problems have been generally caused by tables originally created in MS Word.  If you place your cursor in the table and choose to "Simplify Formatting", then this has been known to fix the issue.  This does, however, remove any text and cell color formatting as well, so be sure to test it in a safe place... sorry again for the inconvenience!

• Level 5*

Clicking the X on a tag in the search field doesn't remove it.

4300b3aa1feb8dceaf3b78a514f549ad.gif

That tag is auto-generated from the typed text. (Guess we should hide the 'x' in that case)

Yeah, I guess it doesn't make sense then to have the X if you can't remove it - though I think it's confusing to have the search query twice - once as a formatted tag, and once as text. Maybe the text should disappear? That way people know they formatted the search correctly as a graphical tag shows up, and they're not confused as to how to remove it (delete or the X). Seems redundant to have both the tag and the text showing.

• Level 5*

I'm with Chrimer.  The search box should say what the search is.  Once text is converted to a tag icon, remove the text.  Kind of like how the search bar works when you use Shift-Alt-T to multi-select tags.

Archived