Ending support for Evernote Food apps (iOS and Android)

As of September 30th, we’ll no longer support Evernote Food for iOS and Android. This means the apps will no longer be available for download and we won’t be making any further updates to them. It also means that features within the apps, including sync with the Evernote service, will no longer work. All of your notes saved in Evernote Food will still be securely saved and available (and searchable) in Evernote, but will not be editable. 

Much of the features that were most popular in Evernote Food are now supported by our core Evernote apps and Evernote Web Clipper. We have an FAQ available here with additional info on transitioning away from Evernote Food: https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/95845417

Use Evernote Web Clipper from your computer or Evernote on your mobile device to clip recipes from any website and organize them in Evernote. Additionally, Evernote is integrated with these great food apps: http://appcenter.evernote.com/collection/food.

For more information, please check out our full announcement here: https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2015/08/26/evernote-to-end-support-for-evernote-food-apps/

So sad to see this feature discontinued. I really like the note taking template for evernote food. Is there a way to duplicate that kind of template so I can continue to save food notes? Does evernote even have note taking templates?

Sorry, can you also point me to a simple app that just does food logging? (pictures, restaurant(w/ location), comments/captions, tags) and the ability to set the "note created date" to the timestamp from the pictures EXIF data, and locate restaruants from the same EXIF data.   

• Like 3

This is really terrible!  I'm really bummed out that they're getting rid of Evernote Food.   Web clipping can obviously save recipes, but the whole point of Evernote food was to save (an an easy viewable template) restaurant location, food memories, pictures.  --- Making a note in Evernote with some pictures of food and saving them to a notebook (or letting them get jumbled with other notes) is not ideal. The location, restaurant type, notes, tags and pictures displayed in  Evernote Food is what made it so special.      I always thought it would be great if Evernote created "Evernote Trips" too!

I don't want to make food "notes".    - Hopefully there's another photo-journal app that can fill the gap.    (There are food journals but they're oriented to weight loss not pictures.)   Does anyone know of any replacements?

Boo!! 

ps.  - Maybe Evernote can come up with templates for notes that people could use for these purposes?

• Like 4

Well i guess i get that you killing this app but WHY you cant give us that evernote food template so we can continiue with evernote app? I just saw those apps that should replace evernote food - i hope this is just joke - i can't write my own recipes in any of them!

PLEASE give us word about that tamplate - simple pure YES (in future) or NO so we can move to something real and not newyorktimes food - WHAT?

Thank you!

Aw man, that's a bummer, but I can tell from the lack of updates that it must not have been getting the usage you guys envisioned for it. I guess you have to go where your users are.

One crucial question though: any meal notes that were created with the app are Locked for editing in Evernote proper. Will those notes now become editable now that all Evernote Food data is being migrated to Evernote? If not, I suggest your dev team start working on that stat—I'll be really pissed if my meal notes suddenly become static, un-editable documents!

• Like 2

Obviously a niche app, but what a shame. I wished I had used it more (and in fact did before it incorporated all the extra features. Maybe if they had opened the notes some editing it would have caught on more, but I enjoyed the journaling aspect of it, pics, cuisine, tags, memories as opposed to me wondering what it was I liked last time i was "here

Consider me

• Another vote for releasing template
  • Another vote to unlocking the files (even if a little bit)
  • Laughing at the suggested alternatives in the announcement
  • Wondering if there is another app that fills that role. I mean a real app and fills the real role of Food
  • Wonder if more had been put behind it, it would have been successful.

I will really miss Evernote Food. I used it to chronicle vacation and travel meals at restaurants with a photo. I know that I can take a picture with Evernote and add some text like Evernote Food, but is there a way to quickly Geotag the photo/note with the name and location of the restaurant like in Evernote Food? Having the list of nearby restaurants pop up to select from is a VERY handy feature. How do I do that in Evernote?

• Like 1

At the beginning of 2013, we can view the address of the restaurant in Evernote but it's not the case since August 2013. Until now we could find this information in Food but after September 30th, it will not be possible.

So, we are going to loose some information with the ending of Evernote Food. It's not fairplay, you have to provide a solution to recover all data.

In Food, we like to geolocate a restaurant, easily add a photo with notes, create the title and the date of the Meals automatically

what you offer with Evernote, it's not for me the most used by users Food features

So sad to see this feature discontinued. I really like the note taking template for evernote food. Is there a way to duplicate that kind of template so I can continue to save food notes? Does evernote even have note taking templates?

Sorry, can you also point me to a simple app that just does food logging? (pictures, restaurant(w/ location), comments/captions, tags) and the ability to set the "note created date" to the timestamp from the pictures EXIF data, and locate restaruants from the same EXIF data.   

Well, I can find exactly one of MY MEALS in Evernote, and I have nearly two years of documenting them in Evernote Food. If anyone knows of another app, I'm also all for it. Most food journal apps seems to think you're trying to track your food to lose weight. Duh.

If anyone has any ideas on how to export these meals from Evernote Food, please share. Perhaps I can set up albums or something. This has really devastated my day.

The features we're losing after September 30th:

• Ability to edit existing  Evernote Food notes within Evernote will go away.  Notes will be uneditable.
  • Geolocation/address  and the graphic map information of restaurant does not appear in Evernote
  • No more picking from nearby restaurants based on location information.  These features end with Evernote Food.
  • There will be no "food memories" template for captioned photos and meal memories in Evernote; you just have to create a regular note in the standard format (no more ability to easily add photos of food)

Does anyone know of alternative apps?  So far, pickings are slim especially on Android.

I used to use this all the time for vacation memories and special event/restaurant memories.

• Like 1
  • Ex Employees

We suggest giving Web Clipper a try to collect recipes and cooking inspirations. Evernote is a great place to capture your favorite meal experiences.  Also, check out our App Center Food Collection which also features Evernote-integrated food-centric apps that you might like.

Your recipe clippings should be editable in Evernote, but the meal and restaurant notes are locked. We are taking note of your feedback and will definitely take it into consideration moving forward. 

We suggest giving Web Clipper a try to collect recipes and cooking inspirations. Evernote is a great place to capture your favorite meal experiences.  Also, check out our App Center Food Collection which also features Evernote-integrated food-centric apps that you might like.

Maybe you can explain how, because Evernote as a great place to capture my favourite meal experiences seriously doesn't work for me. I tried it last night. Hey, what?

Your App centre Food Collection has nothing remotely close, sorry. Even if I had an iPhone,  I do not wish to browse 17k recipes from the New York Times. I have a grocery list app. I'm not looking for a smart food scale. And the IF app, which is the only Android app, has little to do with recording food memories.

For collecting recipes and cooking inspiration, we have Pinterest if we don't already have a recipe app that does that; Web Clipper is kinda ... not for foodies. I really have no reason to use Evernote, even though it came pre-installed on my Samsung. Evernote Food -- an entirely different kettle of fish.

I agree 100% with Truckreferral: if you don't want to maintain it, make it open source. I don't need your cloud to store my food memories; I'll happily store on dropbox, skydrive, google or even my own hosted server.

• Like 1

Your recipe clippings should be editable in Evernote, but the meal and restaurant notes are locked. We are taking note of your feedback and will definitely take it into consideration moving forward. 

You totally missed the point of all the feedback in this thread. No one here is upset at the loss of recipes, everyone like the current evernote food's ability to easily record meal and restaurants! 

The best feature of evernote food is the ability to automatically extract information from the photo's EXIF data to automatically set dates, location, and what meal of the day it might be, and the ability to sort meals based on proximity. 

• Like 4

I agree with the others..  the list of apps suggested aren't useful because the core features of Evernote Food and why people used it was not because of the recipes (there's lots of apps to clip and save recipes) but because of the organisation, geolocation of restaurant info and photos.     Evernote itself can tag location in photos but it doesn't it in a useful way and you can look for nearby restaurants, etc.

Also, was "IF (IFTTT - if this then that)"  included on the list because the word "recipe"  was in the description?  I can't think of how that app would be useful at all for the Evernote Food functions unless people wanted to save recipes to Evernote from Pocket or something. 

• Like 2

Hey I am a premium user, Food is one of my faviourite feature in evernote, and it is really sad to hear the news.

When I have a nice dinner or lunch, I would use Evernote Food to record the location, photo, time at the same time! This is a feature that can beat pen and paper!

After the Dinner, I can also share the note to my friend, if they are looking for a nice restaurant.

Really disappointed on this move! You are breaking a gem... :(

• Like 2

And as a UX Designer, I think you have just borken the loop of "new users->catching up->Happy Users->Positive Reation".

I think many users will start to think about the reliability of evernote product...

• Like 1

I was so disappointed when I got the email about the discontinuation of Evernote Food. I create my first meal in Evernote Food in January 2012 and I have been a keen user ever since. It was the usefulness of this app that inspired me to become a premium subscriber. I love the flexibility of capturing a meal with my iPhone in a restaurant and then reliving my meals on my iPad at home. Evernote Food has served me well in my home city and on vacation around the world.

When it comes to meal capture and recall, there is nothing I've seen that offers the great functionality and beautiful experience of Evernote Food.

• Like 1

Very sad to see Evernote Food go. It was the feature of Evernote that I used the most.

Like many here - I used it to keep track of meals, not recipes. I used it both to document restaurant meals and dinner parties so I could remember what was served and who attended.  

I strongly second the suggestions to keep Food editable, provided a template for Evernote and make it open source.  

Desperately seeking an alternative - has anyone tried using an Instagram account for food pictures and documenting the meal in comments? 

• Like 1

I would love for you all to check out spoonacular - we don't (yet) have a restaurant component and our apps are currently in redevelopment, so it's admittedly not a perfect replacement at our current stage. However, the new apps will be out before Evernote Food ceases to function, and restaurant data will be added later this year to complete our trifecta (recipes, store bought products, and restaurants).

We're always interested in user feedback and are happy to adapt our platform to add missing features, and I suspect we'll be faster than anything crowdfunded now ;)

For anyone interested: spoonacular.com

• Like 2

Interesting about Spoontacular!     There's a huge lot of restaurant  apps (yelp, etc.) and recipe/meal planner apps galore but the ability to photo-journal food is something I'm not finding on the Android market.

There are a few apps (Diaro and Flava for example) that allow for tagged entries, text information and multiple pictures (many only allow one photo)  alongside a map (Google Places or Maps) location  of your restaurant. But they're not ideal and don't really synch with Evernote.  (within Diaro you can "share" with Evernote but the note just has text and large format pictures and Flava's synch is just to url of your entry on their site)   -- I haven't found anything that allows you to CAPTION the photos either like Food did...

but the search continues.

Hm, photojournaling is out of our scope, but we envision ourselves as a food management platform where you can find, save, and eventually add notes (particularly for restaurants) to track the food you eat, whether on the meal planner for nutritional purposes or simply within your profile so you don't buy the same dark chocolate bar that you tried and didn't really like several months ago but since forgot about (am I the only one with this problem?!) The same would absolutely apply to restaurants once we get there. I'll be keeping all these features you're missing in mind :)

• Like 1

Nice to see someone sniffin out a new area to explore with their app and seeing an opportunity. Yeah... this might seem worth taking a closer look. Yes. phootjournaling meals was my primary use, a few pics, what I liked, where I was. etc. Some explicit privacy would be nice as well (I never post pictures of my ids anywhere, but they are a part of almost every important meal). Though for me it isn't so much what I didn't like "last time" but what I did!

• Like 1

We'll join the crowd: PLEASE provide an alternative to Food that would allow us to continue photojournaling our meals and would integrate into Evernote as seamlessly... What a real shame Food is ending... I learned how to use the Mac app to keyboard in details (wasn't possible in Windows unfortunately) that was difficult to do from the Android tablet - which we basically used as a camera to capture all the wonderful foodie moments of our lives... We'd contribute to crowd funding for a replacement or even pay if Evernote turned it into an additional feature.

• Like 1

I too am so disappointed about this, but kind of knew it was coming after what happened last year. I would gladly pay for this app as its my favorite. I also use it only for tracking restaurant meals. I always used the web clipper for recipes. The only thing that's anywhere near this is Foodspotting, but it's not really what I want...I want this

• Like 2
I have been a paying member of Allrecipes for several and I will get to the point of why I am throwing that in here. There were some changes to their website effective 9/1/2015 that now make it impossible to find our personal recipes and weblinks. I collected recipes from other websites which were visible on all my electronic devices. I had installed Evernote Food and periodically used it, but it wasn't until today that I was thinking of going back to using Evernote Food as a replacement for Allrecipes only to find that it is being discontinued. I've already migrated my recipes once before when a software company/app went out of business. It seems that we users cannot trust that these apps that we've come to rely on will be with us indefinitely. Every 5-10 years websites are either changing the look of their content or discontinuing it altogether. I have hard copies of some of my recipes and berated myself for wasting paper and being redundant, but now it seems that keeping hard copies is the most efficient and lasting way to keep our recipes and memories of food we have enjoyed in restaurants kept in a binder or some other hard copy. The downside of that is the information cannot be sync'd or viewed by all of our devices and we'd have to have the binder around in order to access recipes, shopping lists and menus. I don't think that Allrecipes will make changes to comply with users complaints about their new format, nor do I think Evernote Food will either. The user is always left hanging out there with no means of support or directed where to go when their particular app bites the dust. 

This is very disappointing. I've lost confidence in Evernote's "add-on" apps. Evernote abandons their own apps (e.g., Food, Peek), and they ruin or cripple third-party apps that they acquire (e.g., Penultimate and, to a lesser extent, Skitch). I wish they would reverse course on Food. It is a very useful app. With Food, I didn't have to tag or organize my recipes. Food just found them all. It's a giant pain in the arse to now go through and manually find and tag all the recipes.

• Like 1

I am VERY unhappy about this.  I use Food all the time.  My wife and I eat out a lot and we use it every time we go out. Not only is it just fun, but when we go back to a place we've been before, it helps us remember what we liked and did not like about the place.  It was quick and easy to use and the templates/formatting was wonderful and the geo-location function just pulled up restaurants, not everything in the area. 

Plain Evernote is NOT the same and is not a replacement for Food.   This is a big loss to me as it was one of the few apps I actually use frequently. . . . . 

Scott

• Like 1

I have been a paying member of Allrecipes for several and I will get to the point of why I am throwing that in here. There were some changes to their website effective 9/1/2015 that now make it impossible to find our personal recipes and weblinks. I collected recipes from other websites which were visible on all my electronic devices. I had installed Evernote Food and periodically used it, but it wasn't until today that I was thinking of going back to using Evernote Food as a replacement for Allrecipes only to find that it is being discontinued. I've already migrated my recipes once before when a software company/app went out of business. It seems that we users cannot trust that these apps that we've come to rely on will be with us indefinitely. Every 5-10 years websites are either changing the look of their content or discontinuing it altogether. I have hard copies of some of my recipes and berated myself for wasting paper and being redundant, but now it seems that keeping hard copies is the most efficient and lasting way to keep our recipes and memories of food we have enjoyed in restaurants kept in a binder or some other hard copy. The downside of that is the information cannot be sync'd or viewed by all of our devices and we'd have to have the binder around in order to access recipes, shopping lists and menus. I don't think that Allrecipes will make changes to comply with users complaints about their new format, nor do I think Evernote Food will either. The user is always left hanging out there with no means of support or directed where to go when their particular app bites the dust. 

Evernote has totally missed the point with their emails in respect of discontinuing Evernote Food. We don't care about the recipes, or inspired meal ideas, we care about the ability to record our meal memories quickly and attractively. Evernote doesn't do this. Very, very, very disappointed.

• Like 2

Hm, photojournaling is out of our scope,

Photojournaling is what Evernote Food is about. I have recipe management apps. I have find a recipe on the web apps. I don't have and can't find another food photojournal, except for dumpkopf ones that think I want to to track my calories.

And today i received a reminder about Evernote Food being discontinued. You know what? I officially hate Evernote.

• Like 1

Hello

I do not understand at all the reasons of this End of support. 

I have been a premium user for almost 4 years and I'm very dissapointed with Evernote team. As other users said is not the point to save recipes, is to save our memories, and immediately share in a cool way. You should provide a solution, and please a good enough solution.

I suggest to add the best features of Food in Evernote, or to add a label of food picture int the note of Evernote. It might be easy to develop.

And finally could you open source a little part of the code?, I think that there is a gap that one developer could easily fit with one application

Regards

Victor

• Like 1

So will Evernote Food just stop working at some point?

I can understand not releasing new versions (though with new OS updates and changes to the Evernote backend, it may break too) but will they actually block Meals from syncing with your Evernote account?

Or not allow the app. to connect at all?

As i read every new post here i think Evernote team have great idea about our "feedback" to this change (i hope they care at least a little) and they can make some changes or something?

1. Evernote email is just sad and didn't provide any alternatives - so they are just cutting us (their customers)

2. I think there is NO PROBLEM whatsoever to add at least template for recipes so we can continue in "Evernote Food style"

3. Someone from Evernote could post here something about this. Either "Sorry we are not providing anything else" or "Yeah we can think about this"

4. I am deleting all Evernote other apps since i don't want to see this happen in future

5. I will think hardly before renewing my premium Evernote account in future since i don't like companies/apps that just cut their customers without proper reason

This user is right: "You totally missed the point of all the feedback in this thread. No one here is upset at the loss of recipes, everyone like the current evernote food's ability to easily record meal and restaurants!" - You promised a tool for remembering(!) food, we love. And now Evernote is killing this app. This is frustrating. There is NO alternative app on the market. So you let us users alone with this proplem. Evernote itsselt can not do this things, Evernote Food can. I thin i will quit my Evernote Pro, if you do not change your mind. 

We Evernote Food Users should start a petition.

Guys... I found something I quite like. http://www.myfoodcircle.co.uk/

I have installed it on my Android phone.

So far, I cannot backdate entries (not that I want to enter two years' worth of Evernote Food entries) and it doesn't remember locations, but it's looking good. I have sent my quibbles to the developer and asked them to look at Evernote Food, as they are so close! I also find the interface at the bottom of the screen very intrusive, but for food journaling I can take a picture, add a caption, add a place. Yeah, it's got that weight loss and calorie counting stuff I don't want, but Evernote Food has recipe finding that I don't want either.

The backdating issue came up as I tried to put in my Cooking Club meal from Monday (just to see how the app worked). I'm feeling very positive about this. Have a look if you have been as grumpy about Evernote Food's discontinuation as I have.

• Like 2

For your purpose of collections and saving recipes is totally do-able in Evernote itself. Personally, I only used Food for journaling. 

I used Evernote Food on a trip last week and a few other apps to compare the usefulness/replace it as my food journalling app -- and the results were really sad and made me even more upset  that Food is not supported and worse, will cease functioning.

I can't believe that Evernote can't add some kind of foursquare integration/location ability to notes or a template to add photo captions.   The most useful part of Evernote Food was in selecting nearby restaurants (and seeing related notes!) along with our pictures/journal of memorable meals.   If they added this capability to the core Evernote, it would have usefulness and applications for people doing holiday or travel journal too.

I tried My Food Circle, but found it glitchy and also too much of a "social" app.  Like others, it's related to social interacting/dieting/fitness, etc.   None of the things I wanted to use Food for.    I also  tried about 5 diary apps too.  So far, the only one that seems to do a few of the things that Evernote Food did was: FLAVA (for android)  -- it too has foursquare integration like Evernote Food did   - though it doesn't have food/cuisine categories and only brings up the name and location of the restaurant or place to attach to the note, and is limited to 5 photos per entry.

Hmm, Flava looks interesting but they charge quite a bit for storage, like $10 for a gigabyte (at least on iOS App Store), though that should cover plenty of meals.

Also see something called Meal Logger for iOS but it doesn't have purchase options for storage.  I would think though that if people upload a lot of photos and it eats up storage, they will put a stop or go out of business.

It might be possible to use Evernote to take pics and upload meals but no built-in restaurant identification and no filters for the photos.  I always like using the boost filter.

Photo journaling of restaurant meals is fairly widespread.  So what else are people using?  Probably Facebook and Instagram and other social networking apps. just to have some pics of dishes on their timelines as opposed to saving meals?

Problem with FB and Instagram, which I haven't used, is that once your timeline scrolls past, you can't go back and see those older pics right?

One other app, Snapdish, supposedly offers to post to Evernote.  So it could be a workaround, though it doesn't seem to have a restaurant locator.

Hmm, Flava looks interesting but they charge quite a bit for storage, like $10 for a gigabyte (at least on iOS App Store), though that should cover plenty of meals.

Also see something called Meal Logger for iOS but it doesn't have purchase options for storage.  I would think though that if people upload a lot of photos and it eats up storage, they will put a stop or go out of business.

It might be possible to use Evernote to take pics and upload meals but no built-in restaurant identification and no filters for the photos.  I always like using the boost filter.

Photo journaling of restaurant meals is fairly widespread.  So what else are people using?  Probably Facebook and Instagram and other social networking apps. just to have some pics of dishes on their timelines as opposed to saving meals?

Problem with FB and Instagram, which I haven't used, is that once your timeline scrolls past, you can't go back and see those older pics right?

Snapdish and other apps out there are geared towards sharing, liking recipes, etc.  and there are tons of  other similar apps and meal loggers that are geared towards dieting and inspiration and timeline sharing  instead of capturing memories.   am not interested in those apps so much;  If I want to post pictures of food for social media I can just use Instagram, FB - etc.     (there's also tons of food photo filters out there if that's something you like)

But for me -- the whole point of Evernote Food was keeping memories (for me/not social) organized. On social media/other apps... it's just all crowded in there with other content on a timeline view that doesn't let you easily recall what you want to see.     The beauty of Food was that you could easily tag/geotag with restaurants and recall other food memories all in one easy to navigate location.

Flava does unfortunately have a limited amount of storage

• Like 1

Evernote's business model is to upsell premium services which cost more.  But mostly these services are greater storage.

Maybe they can do an in-app purchase in Evernote to offer the Food template, including the filters and the restaurant locator, for a nominal fee, like $5.

They are pretty generous with the storage though, because I have tons of notes in EN and I've never been close to coming up with the limit for the free or EN Basic accounts.  Maybe that will change.

But they should have always offered the features of these satellite apps. as upgrades that you had to pay for, rather than offering them all free and hoping people need more data from their use so then people will pay for the premium accounts.

• Like 1

hi all,

we are developing an app to store all your recipes in one place. it has a web clipper and the option to scan and digitize analog recipes.
at the moment it's only available on iPhone in german (you can also clip from english websites). obviously it's not for tracking restaurant meals or photojournaling. but maybe it can help some of you to organize your recipes.

https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/mjum-meine-rezepte-mein-kochbuch/id1012981450?mt=8

I agree with the others..  the list of apps suggested aren't useful because the core features of Evernote Food and why people used it was not because of the recipes (there's lots of apps to clip and save recipes) but because of the organisation, geolocation of restaurant info and photos.     Evernote itself can tag location in photos but it doesn't it in a useful way and you can look for nearby restaurants, etc.

Also, was "IF (IFTTT - if this then that)"  included on the list because the word "recipe"  was in the description?  I can't think of how that app would be useful at all for the Evernote Food functions unless people wanted to save recipes to Evernote from Pocket or something. 

I agree. It's not about the recipe feature, but rather to keep track of restaurant experiences with the geolocation, restaurant info and ease in photo capturing. This is my FAVORITE APP and I am just crushed it's going away. Bad call Evernote. I use Evernote for everything and I am very disappointed to say the least.

Hm, photojournaling is out of our scope, but we envision ourselves as a food management platform where you can find, save, and eventually add notes (particularly for restaurants) to track the food you eat, whether on the meal planner for nutritional purposes or simply within your profile so you don't buy the same dark chocolate bar that you tried and didn't really like several months ago but since forgot about (am I the only one with this problem?!) The same would absolutely apply to restaurants once we get there. I'll be keeping all these features you're missing in mind :)

Photojournaling is a must. But appreciate you reaching out to us with another option. Thanks.

One other app, Snapdish, supposedly offers to post to Evernote.  So it could be a workaround, though it doesn't seem to have a restaurant locator.

Snapdish and other apps out there are geared towards sharing, liking recipes, etc.  and there are tons of  other similar apps and meal loggers that are geared towards dieting and inspiration and timeline sharing  instead of capturing memories.   am not interested in those apps so much;  If I want to post pictures of food for social media I can just use Instagram, FB - etc.     (there's also tons of food photo filters out there if that's something you like)

But for me -- the whole point of Evernote Food was keeping memories (for me/not social) organized. On social media/other apps... it's just all crowded in there with other content on a timeline view that doesn't let you easily recall what you want to see.     The beauty of Food was that you could easily tag/geotag with restaurants and recall other food memories all in one easy to navigate location.

Flava does unfortunately have a limited amount of storage

Agree with you Willbe. Don't want dieting and inspiration but to preserve my memories and not publicly post them. I have been using it as a journal of sorts and enjoy the ability to quickly search a particular restaurant and see what I had the last time. This is such a tragedy.

hi all,

we are developing an app to store all your recipes in one place. it has a web clipper and the option to scan and digitize analog recipes.

at the moment it's only available on iPhone in german (you can also clip from english websites). obviously it's not for tracking restaurant meals or photojournaling. but maybe it can help some of you to organize your recipes.

https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/mjum-meine-rezepte-mein-kochbuch/id1012981450?mt=8

Don't need a recipe storage app. 

So you have to wonder about why they're ending Food.

It can't be because it uses more data, because the more data people use, the more likely they're going to upgrade to a paying account instead of the free Basic account.

Maybe they didn't want to keep paying engineer(s) to maintain the code, with iOS changing all the time.

Or maybe it costs money for the restaurant locator thing and they didn't really want to pay it.

Evernote app. doesn't give you the photo filters that Food has nor the option to not save photos taken within the app. to not be added to your photo roll, so you have to go and manually delete the redundant photos.

After looking at other apps, it seems like people shoot photos of foods mostly for social networking.  Since Food was never about that, it was unique and probably not a widespread activity, just saving photos about restaurant meals, vs. food logging in general (mostly for dietary/health reasons if not sharing on social networks).

I guess the fad pretty much dies with Food going away.  I'm going to try a couple of other apps. but they're from unknown services, like Flava.  You could upload a bunch of photos to it and have it disappear.  There are complains in the reviews of the app. about being unable to connect to it any more.

Maybe OneNote or Google Photos are other possibilities but they obviously don't give you a nice format for recording restaurant meals either.  But in fact, those services are likely to be around more than Evernote  Or more accurately, the companies will be around, since Google has a habit of killing products after awhile.

• 2 weeks later...

After looking in vain for another provider of an app for meal saving and restaurant photo journaling and not finding any ready-made templates, I decided to create my own just by fancing up a regular Evernote note!

And I'm actually really happy - I can now provide more information in a better organized way than with the Food app. I'd always used my tablet camera to snap pics of courses, drinks, restaurant interiors and then added them via the easy Food app addition. I'll have to manually add them now, but by using Evernote tables, the ability to color in the cell background and deciding on what criteria I want to make note of, I can make even better use of Evernote now.

And by simply copying the note to another notebook, I've been able to create what is in effect a template.

So tonight's last meal via the Food app will be the first meal using my own custom-designed Evernote note - with more info for me and friends and all the other wonderful advatages of Evernote as a multi-format tool (I use Evernote on a PC, a MacBook, and my Android tablet/phone).

• Like 4

After looking in vain for another provider of an app for meal saving and restaurant photo journaling and not finding any ready-made templates, I decided to create my own just by fancing up a regular Evernote note!

And I'm actually really happy - I can now provide more information in a better organized way than with the Food app. I'd always used my tablet camera to snap pics of courses, drinks, restaurant interiors and then added them via the easy Food app addition. I'll have to manually add them now, but by using Evernote tables, the ability to color in the cell background and deciding on what criteria I want to make note of, I can make even better use of Evernote now.

And by simply copying the note to another notebook, I've been able to create what is in effect a template.

So tonight's last meal via the Food app will be the first meal using my own custom-designed Evernote note - with more info for me and friends and all the other wonderful advatages of Evernote as a multi-format tool (I use Evernote on a PC, a MacBook, and my Android tablet/phone).

Would like more information on what you mean by using "tables"   to replace Evernote food as a template?    I'm interested in anything that helps! :)    (so far I have only been able to use tables on Windows to create rows and columns in Evernote.. it hasn't seemed too useful but maybe I haven't figured it out yet.)

I was very sad to use my Food app for the last time. It was so nice to see the locations and information in such a beautiful format. I hope Evernote decides to allow photo captioning or a similar template for general use. - I think note takers, foodies and others would make a lot of use of it!

• Like 1

So Evernote Food stopped working today, really pity on Evernote for forcefully breaking it instead of just stopping support/updates. As someone who used it for almost 4 years and relied on it for logging ALL of my meals I feel resentment towards Evernote for not providing a good enough meal logging alternative (don't care about recipes). Previously when it stopped working on iOS8 I kept iOS7 on my iPhone for the half year it took them to update the app so I could keep using it. It all makes me question viability of using Evernote as a reliable platform in the future and renewing the premium account next time.

Food kept crashing when I took a pic since I updated my iPhone 6 Plus to iOS 9.

So I've used regular Evernote, to take pics without filters, no captions or meal notes, manually enter restaurant info.

Just not the same.

Probably will stop logging meals.

I am also sad that Food has been removed, it was indeed a great app. Simply to remember those great locations and meals we had as we travelled. 

Some of you techie folks out there, must be able to create an add in for Evernote? Better that, than having yet another app on my phone, and computers.

I wonder if the problem here is that Evernote, didn't ask it's customers if they wanted Food? If they did, I for one would love to see the results of that survey. If the percentages where low, then I guess there is nothing which can be done. At the end of the day it is all about numbers.

Regards

Chris

• Like 2

Well this time it is about that new CEO firing 45 people from Evernote team and ditching Food. Now there is noone to even answer in this thread and comunicate with us about this. I feel that evernote went from "company for customers" to "we don't care company". I hate this kind and i don't wanna support company that stoped to care for us customers vecause they already have our money. I already deleted all other Evernote apps except main app because why bother using it iff they cut it in future too and it is not that much about ditching Food as about not providing ANYTHING to replace it. That Times recepies is a silly joke and don't even work! Also not one word about that. There are much needed features in main Evernote app that comunity want for long time. If they won't push their app really forward i am not renewing my "premium pro extra special" account!

Fired?

Do you have a link?

Well it is a startup and has been for awhile. It survived other startup competitors in the same space, such as Springpad.

It may be in a battle though against OneNote and especially if Google really pushes it's Keep product, which is only for Android now.

I can see it being tough for them to monetize Food.

He'll I'm not even sure how they monetize the main product. They up sell premium accounts but most people can get by with the free basic accounts. And if ey need a lot of storage, there's drop box and others.

Would like more information on what you mean by using "tables"   to replace Evernote food as a template?    I'm interested in anything that helps! :)    (so far I have only been able to use tables on Windows to create rows and columns in Evernote.. it hasn't seemed too useful but maybe I haven't figured it out yet.)

I was very sad to use my Food app for the last time. It was so nice to see the locations and information in such a beautiful format. I hope Evernote decides to allow photo captioning or a similar template for general use. - I think note takers, foodies and others would make a lot of use of it!

I insert tables with mulitple rows and either one or two columns. Then I simply copy in the photos I took of the meal - the cells fix the photos in an even better way than the Food formatting. On Food the photos were often changed to fit the format there, so sometimes information was lost (like menu items with prices or some things on the margins of the pictures). By using regular Evernote table cells, I can simply tap and see a full view of the entire photo as taken. By using the left, center, or right formatting the photos look even better than on the Food app, and I can easily add captions right under the photo in the same cell. On Mac I can color in the background of the cells to differentiate them from one another - a matter of taste here.

I also made use of the horizontal line insert to distinguish categories like quality of food, ambiance, quality of service and use stars and brief keywords here for each section (and just have to delete stars from the five stars I'd inserted in the template for each category to match the real experience). I leave a space at the top for a snipping from Google Maps or Wikimapia and a snipping from the restaurant website as well as a slot to put in the beginning and ending times of the meal. I name this note restaurant template, save it,  and when there's a new meal to record just copy it to my Restaurant notebooks.

It does take a bit more time to use my template than it did to use the app, but I do most of the work then on my PC or Mac - but I can keyboard in much better than on my tablet anyway (it was possible on the Mac to add captions to the photos in the Food app but not in the Windows version) and can add a lot more info in the way I want.

So in retrospect I'm actually grateful for the Food app being discontinued since it forced me to discover some of the ways I can use Evernote that I wasn't even aware of.

Fired?

Do you have a link?

Well it is a startup and has been for awhile. It survived other startup competitors in the same space, such as Springpad.

It may be in a battle though against OneNote and especially if Google really pushes it's Keep product, which is only for Android now.

I can see it being tough for them to monetize Food.

He'll I'm not even sure how they monetize the main product. They up sell premium accounts but most people can get by with the free basic accounts. And if ey need a lot of storage, there's drop box and others.

Here you go: https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2015/09/29/a-note-from-chris-oneill/

And i don't think that evernote have problems with new customers and premium users. I bet there is ton of users paying for premium.

Also about that battle between google and microsoft - they don't need to do that at all just implement features that are from year 2016+ and different from them and if i want cluttered UI with tons of useless features i will go for MS Word or something like that .)

Would like more information on what you mean by using "tables"   to replace Evernote food as a template?    I'm interested in anything that helps!  :)    (so far I have only been able to use tables on Windows to create rows and columns in Evernote.. it hasn't seemed too useful but maybe I haven't figured it out yet.)

I insert tables with mulitple rows and either one or two columns. Then I simply copy in the photos I took of the meal - the cells fix the photos in an even better way than the Food formatting. On Food the photos were often changed to fit the format there, so sometimes information was lost (like menu items with prices or some things on the margins of the pictures). By using regular Evernote table cells, I can simply tap and see a full view of the entire photo as taken. By using the left, center, or right formatting the photos look even better than on the Food app, and I can easily add captions right under the photo in the same cell. On Mac I can color in the background of the cells to differentiate them from one another - a matter of taste here.

I also made use of the horizontal line insert to distinguish categories like quality of food, ambiance, quality of service and use stars and brief keywords here for each section (and just have to delete stars from the five stars I'd inserted in the template for each category to match the real experience). I leave a space at the top for a snipping from Google Maps or Wikimapia and a snipping from the restaurant website as well as a slot to put in the beginning and ending times of the meal. I name this note restaurant template, save it,  and when there's a new meal to record just copy it to my Restaurant notebooks.

It does take a bit more time to use my template than it did to use the app, but I do most of the work then on my PC or Mac - but I can keyboard in much better than on my tablet anyway (it was possible on the Mac to add captions to the photos in the Food app but not in the Windows version) and can add a lot more info in the way I want.

So in retrospect I'm actually grateful for the Food app being discontinued since it forced me to discover some of the ways I can use Evernote that I wasn't even aware of.

Well this went from one-two clicks in Food to half an hour in Evernote. That was the magic of EF - quick and simple - and i don't have time creating this just to continue using evernote for food. Apps should make our lives easier not complicate things!

• Like 1

Hi all--we're continuing to listen, but we are committed to focusing / doubling down on our core applications and the core experiences behind those applications. From sync to search to the note taking experience. Part of focusing for us means making tough choices about what we continue to support, and Evernote Food was one of the choices we had to make. While we know that Evernote's clipping and camera features (as well as some of the Food-related apps we've presented in our App Center) do not fully replace the beautiful experience that was created with Evernote Food, it's something that we need to do to truly focus on continuing to make Evernote an amazing app. 

I'd like to address a few topics above and the most common questions we've received thus far--

Templates: we're looking at templates and the template making experience. As of right now, we are curating a templates area in our Help Center for popular note stylings. If you have something that you believe replicates some of the Food/recipe/meal recording experience that you would like to see included in a template, PM me with your thoughts or a note of your own design. 

Problems finding meals or recipes: Evernote Food in most cases will have been syncing to your Evernote account, and you'll have Food related notes intermixed with regular Evernote notes. The steps below should help you find your Food notes quickly on the Web client. 

1. First, ensure that the account you are running on Evernote Food matches the Evernote account you will be searching.
    1. Open your Food app. Dismiss "enter password" prompt by tapping "I'll do this later" button. 
    2. Tap the elephant icon
    3. Your username will be at the very top
  2. Sign into your Evernote client (with the same account found above) on the Web and search using this syntax below
    1. Search for classifications_recipe:* to get recipes (includes clipped + "recognized as recipe" notes)
    2. Search for contentClass:evernote.food.meal.* to get meals
    3. Search for contentClass:evernote.food.restaurant to get saved restaurants
  • Like 5

So Sad that Evernote food is gone.  I used this all the time to log my eating habits in restaurants.  Loved how it orginized my eating adventures.  I never really used it for recipies but for keeping track of where and what I ate over the past few years it was great...For me it was kind of an eating/ travel log.  Please bring it back!!! I am a premium user and this is my most used feature of evernote

:(

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

I am working on a free simplifies journal for meal tracking and keeping notes and photos from restaurants. It's called Memory Bite and is currently available for Android on the Google Play Store. I think it makes a pretty decent replacement for Evernote Food's meal function. I'm not a professional developer and this is my first project, but it works very well for my needs. I think it might help some people out there as a replacement, and I would love some feedback so I know what additional features to build into it.

If you want to check it out, go to the Google Play Store and search Memory Bite or check out www.memorybite.com

Thanks!

Andy

• Like 2

Hi all--we're continuing to listen, but we are committed to focusing / doubling down on our core applications and the core experiences behind those applications. From sync to search to the note taking experience. Part of focusing for us means making tough choices about what we continue to support, and Evernote Food was one of the choices we had to make. While we know that Evernote's clipping and camera features (as well as some of the Food-related apps we've presented in our App Center) do not fully replace the beautiful experience that was created with Evernote Food, it's something that we need to do to truly focus on continuing to make Evernote an amazing app. 

Personally the loss of Evernote Food was the point when I decided to cancel my Evernote Premium subscription. It may have not been a major app but the ease of recording food memories (photographs, location, restaurant and notes) made it a joy to use. I never used it for recipes and the constant explanations of how to use web clipper to replace food completely missed the point of how EF was being used by a lot of people.

Evernote itself is just doesn't make this an easy task and without a lot of effort (creating tables, editing after the fact etc) the results are nowhere near as attractive and comprehensive. This also brings me to a couple of other factors that ultimately led to my decision to not renew....

Firstly on the Windows platform the EN editor is really dated, it is very difficult to have a mixture of text blocks (plural), images, handwriting and other media in a single note without spending a lot of time on the page structure and messing with table based layouts. Note taking should be about getting the notes in place quickly and easily, not requiring a lot of effort and time dealing with these issues.. I am sure you are sick of the comparisons but OneNote does make this kind of note very easy. Simply being able to have multiple regions of text without messing about with tables is far superior. There isn't an easy way to draw directly into a note in such a way that the drawing can cover other elements e.g. arrows linking separate text blocks or images as a natural flow of ideas, circling things as a form of highlighting, annotating a note etc... The inability to record audio or video and have it synced with your note taking is yet another missing feature, especially the ease of how this can be mixed with other information.

Secondly, I am an Android user and constantly seeing innovation after innovation appear on iOS that just doesn't appear, or even get a mention of appearing, on Android. If on the off chance a feature does appear on Android first the announcement will inevitably mention future iOS plans and the feature will be present on iOS very soon. It seems that being an Android / Windows user I am just not a priority for usability or feature equality. 

In your post you talk about the core applications and core experiences yet as I have mentioned the current editor is limited and dated but you find time to fit in a chat feature, hardly essential given the plethora of chat applications available. The website was functional and a reasonable web version of the desktop app (similar pros and cons as well), yet it was replaced by a version offering less functionality and showing less information in the same amount of space. e.g. No hierarchical notebook view at the same time as the notes list, searching by tags, easily filtering searches.

Not sure how a post that started off talking about food ended up as a general rant, but it did...

• Like 1

By deleiting the Evernote Food app you have treated me bad as a costumer

I have been using Evernote for a lot of years, most of the years I have been a premium user and i have recommended Evernote to all my friends and others.  I loved the Evernote Food app. And now you just cancelled it.
Since Googles Keep come I have used both Evernote and Keep. But with taking away Evernote Food its over for me. I will delete my Evernote account. 

I have used the food for the same reasons as everybody else have written about in this topic, and with coming with a solution to use a web clipper it looks like you dont understand youre customers. 

Hey all,

I am working on a free simplifies journal for meal tracking and keeping notes and photos from restaurants. It's called Memory Bite and is currently available for Android on the Google Play Store. I think it makes a pretty decent replacement for Evernote Food's meal function. I'm not a professional developer and this is my first project, but it works very well for my needs. I think it might help some people out there as a replacement, and I would love some feedback so I know what additional features to build into it.

If you want to check it out, go to the Google Play Store and search Memory Bite or check out www.memorybite.com

Thanks!

Andy

This app looks really promising and fills the gap that other apps leave on Android - I will probably try it out! 

As for focusing on "core application"  -Evenote is missing a huge opportunity to expand template/app driven tie ins with it's core application.  

• Like 1

Hey all,

Thanks!

Andy

This app looks really promising and fills the gap that other apps leave on Android - I will probably try it out! 

As for focusing on "core application"  -Evenote is missing a huge opportunity to expand template/app driven tie ins with it's core application.  

I have started using this app and I agree this looks  promising !

Thanks for taking a look at Memory Bite, guys. I released an update this week with a cleaned up design and some new features like photo captions this weekend. Memory Bite is also now available on the Amazon App Store for Kindle Fire devices.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for future features. I'm improving it bit by bit!

Regards,

Andy

www.MemoryBite.com

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I appreciate the reply from Evernote, but the program was real good as it was, so all you had to do was to leave it running and allow synchronization. It built a lot of goodwill and the alternatives were minimal. While I actually ended up liking the NY Times recipes, I didn't use Evernote Food for recipes, I used it to track what I cooked and ate, and it did that very well. Now that I have gone a while without it I really miss being able to take structured pictures when I go out to eat. I may snap a few shots and save them in a note, but then I forget about them, as they don't seem very valuable. Please bring back the Evernote Food service. I'd be happy to pay for it.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally found a replacement for Evernote Food! Check out the Trip Advisor app! They have a new feature called Travel Timeline and it is actually better than Evernote's platform. You can set it to follow you even with the app closed. It automatically asks you if you are at a certain restaurant and then will automatically add any photos you took there. It doesn't seem to allow much in the way of adding comments but I love it and have started logging all of my restaurant and other experiences there. Worth checking out. And it's free!  The Travel Timeline feature appears to only be available on the iPhone and not iPad  I am not sure about other smart phones. But this is an answer to my prayers since losing Evernote Food.  

Hmm, it prompts me to turn on Always Location tracking, not just when using the app.

And requires signing in.

Does it automatically upload photos against the reviews for the restaurants?  I guess that would be the only way to store the data somehow.  And comments are key so maybe just as well using regular Evernote app.

• amanda_h unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

Hello all! Apologies for commenting on an old thread, but we finally got around to making spoonacular's food app a better Evernote food replacement. You can add the pictures of what you eat at home or at a restaurant and we use geolocation to place the meal on a world map. You can give every meal a grade and add comments, and then you can search for "burger" or "cheesecake" to see all the burgers/cheesecakes you've added. Could be fun to keep track of the best food in your city or to find the best burger in the world if you're careful not to give an A+ too easily ;) Unfortunately it's only available for Android right now, but we'll be updating our iOS app soon.

We would really appreciate any feedback and feature requests, as it's a REALLY basic version and we want to add more in time.

food-journal-screenshot-1.jpg

food-journal-screenshot-2.jpg

• 1 year later...

I know this is a super old thread, but I just found this as my company, SALT (trysalt.com) has been getting many users who left Evernote Food and needed a new application to bookmark restaurants they loved or want to try. If you have an iPhone check us out. We can even import your old list of places!

On 9/14/2017 at 7:56 AM, vivekmgeorge said:

I know this is a super old thread, but I just found this as my company, SALT (trysalt.com) has been getting many users who left Evernote Food and needed a new application to bookmark restaurants they loved or want to try. If you have an iPhone check us out. We can even import your old list of places!

I think there's interest from former Evernote Food users in photo journaling their meals, as opposed to sharing or the more social media-centric approach of other apps.

Seems like SALT is more in the latter category.

Where are the notes and photos stored, on the device or on your servers?

How much data can each user upload and expect to have stored up there indefinitely?

The other problem with a lot of apps. is that they're startups and often they go out of business so any data you accumulate can disappear if the startup doesn't make it.  A lot of Evernote competitors have had this fate.  

Evernote itself could face this someday, though they've been around long enough that you have more confidence in their long-term viability than other startups.

I think one useful feature would be to use the Evernote APIs to upload the meals to an Evernote account but I'm sure other apps. want users to set up accounts with them, not some other company.

• 3 years later...