Separate Notebooks and Tags

JPD54

Under the Cloud Stack I have two Notebooks, one for Genealogy and the other for Model Railroading.  I notice the tags for both notebooks show up whenever I am in either notebook.  I do not want to wade through thousands of genealogy tags when I am trying to find something in the model railroading notebook.  How do I separate the notebooks so their tags do not overlap?  Do they have to be in separate stacks?  Can both stacks be cloud based?  Or do I need to create another Evernote account?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Tags are account-based,  so whatever notebook you have open will display the full tag list for that account.  To tidy that display you could look into 'stacking' tags so you can close down the genealogy list when it's not required,  or - as you suggest - you could create a new account and separate the two interests completely.

• Level 5*

Under the Cloud Stack I have two Notebooks, one for Genealogy and the other for Model Railroading.  I notice the tags for both notebooks show up whenever I am in either notebook.  I do not want to wade through thousands of genealogy tags when I am trying to find something in the model railroading notebook.  How do I separate the notebooks so their tags do not overlap?  Do they have to be in separate stacks?  Can both stacks be cloud based?  Or do I need to create another Evernote account?

I'm not sure what you mean by being "in" a notebook.

You might try this to see only tags associated with a NB:

1. Set the NB filter to the NB of interest 
  2. Now, if you want to apply a tag filter to that NB, use the "Jump to Tag" feature
    1. Press Shift + Alt + T
    2. Your choices for tags should be only those that have been assigned to Notes in that NB

For assigning tags, you could use a tag prefix, like "GEN." and "RAIL."

• Of course you would need to rename your tags using these prefixes first.
  • So all of your genealogy tags would start with "GEN.", as in "GEN.LastName"

(you don't have to put the prefix in all caps.  I just do that to make it stand out for me.)

• When you are assigning tags in the Note Tag block, just type "gen." and it will show you a dropdown list of all tags that start with "gen."
  • The same would apply to your model railroading tags, of course.

Does this help?

Archived