Evernote is becoming useless

Hi,

my account is a basic one. About a year ago I could have my data protected by a password and I could access my data offline.

- Today, if I don't log out after accusing my data, it is open to curious eyes to anyone who has access to my computer, iPad or iPhone.

- Today, inside the supermarket, when data access is weak, I cannot access my recipes to check what I have to buy.

What's such an app worth for? Why must I keep it since its objective, now, is to make me give them money by CUTTING functions that were free and useful, instead of improving the app in a way that was so great I might want to spend money on it? That's not the way I believe business relations should be made.

Guess it's time to start looking for alternatives.

José Eduardo R Azevedo

• Level 5*

Offline access has never been a free feature for mobile devices. If you want access to your notes in the supermarket you either need to pay for Evernote and enable offline notebooks or choose a different supermarket.

There has never been any Evernote application access security on a PC.

Seems to me you are complaining about things getting worse when nothing has changed.

Excuse me, Mr Bankrobber, but:

- when I began using Evernote yes, I could access it offline with my basic and free account, make adjustments to my documents and, when I connected my wi-fi only iPad to a wi-fi network, it would sync and I would be able to access the changed documents on my iMac and my iPhone. It was a great feature that made me choose Evernote instead of other similar apps. AND it was FREE! Now it must be paid. Unfair part I...

- maybe you don't know also, but Evernote used to have a checkbox feature that allowed you to keep it logged in your account OR NOT. This way, you could access you account on any computer in the world and, just by leaving the checkbox unchecked, when you quit Evernote, it would automatically log out from that account and, to access it again, you would need the password for it. Today, you have to log out, then quit. Otherwise Evernote will keep logged to that account and anyone will have access to it! Simple as that. I believe this fits as an access security feature, doesn't? It was also free. Now, password is a paid feature. Unfair, part II... 

Maybe you're a relatively new user, one that hasn't been using Evernote from the beginning, one that doesn't use Mac OS X or iOS, so you haven't got these features for free and don't know they existed and were changed for Evernote's profit. In this forum there are many topics relating to this, specially the logged checkbox, should you doubt what I'm saying.

My best

• Level 5*

My account lives on Evernote's first server, I've been around since the beginning.

What you saw previously was your notes being cached by the operating system on your mobile device. You had access to them by accident and completely at the mercy of the operating system, nothing to do with Evernote. Offline access controlled by the application has always been a paid for feature.

I'm afraid you are being very naive about the logged in feature. If you logged into your account on a computer, all of your notes would be downloaded to that computer. Logging out did not I believe delete the notes and so although you thought you were being secure, you were in fact leaving copies of your notes on all of these computers.

I don't think you are being that clear, so maybe you can link me to another thread which explains your problem more clearly?

Finally, life's really not fair. You obviously think that Evernote is useful, useful enough that you'll come on here to complain about some imagined issues, but not useful enough to pay a small amount so that the Evernote team can pay their mortgages, eat, etc. Not very fair really.

Yes, I need to stop drinking before coming here to complain about things I'm wondering they existed...

I'm not going to enter again on the point of someone from Evernote stating that since things are on my computer any hacker can access it. You know what I mean and it's not this.

I'm also not going to pay for things that were free.

Thanks for being so helpful, Mr. Bankrobber...

I think offline notes were accessible before when one starred/ favorited them on mobile device... That would download individual notes that you favorited and you could access them offline... but I don't think, as a free user you could download entire notebooks. That was 2 years back, I think. Then they did away with the favorite thing. In any event, this is not a new restriction. I'm wondering how someone would discover this years down the line. Anyways, it is what it is. Offline notebooks has been one of Evernote's main draw cards to get users to upgrade since like forever. 

One has to be clear about the distinctions and restrictions we have on the web client, the desktop clients and mobile. There might be a bit of confusion as to which client(s) one was using at the time. 

I'm wondering how someone would discover this years down the line.

Simple: I noticed only when I had no cellular signal nor wifi on my iPhone, which is very rare. I went to open Evernote end an error message appeared. As I mentioned, on my wifi only iPad2, I was able to access Evernote on the streets. I really do not believe on Mr Bankrobber's theory that this was by accident and at the iOS mercy. If so, how come they would be synched after alterations?? Bs. This was on 2011.

Today I have an iPad Air but there's wifi signal on so many places where I use it that I never noticed.

And I wasn't drunk by that time  ;-)

Then there's that. WiFi or a lack thereof. I understand that we take it for granted. Well, just make sure that you're in a WiFi zone or connect to your iPhone's hotspot... or the Android's equivalent, if there is one. The good thing, as you said, is that being without any sort of cell phone signal or internet connection is a rare thing for you. And, I guess, Evernote's uselessness for you has always been tethered to (pun intended) the availability of an internet connection or a lack thereof. 

Even if it is a pain in the butt, it is good to get to the bottom of things... at least for 1 out of 2 of your original complaints.

• Level 5*

as far as i know, and i have been around since 2008, ios on the iphone had the starred favorites, which allowed one to access notes offline. ios on the ipad had it for a while, i think, but lost it. then, the iphone followed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/33539/use-evernote-offline-on-your-iphone-or-ipod-touch-for-free/

however, as mentioned before, notes were cached, so you may well have been able to access things. sometimes. but, then the cache would get cleared. maybe you didn't have your cache cleared very often or something like that. i don't know. 

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/34476-evernote-usage-on-ipad-in-offline-mode/?p=186959

at any rate, we lost the favorites, and the caching system is unpredictable, so you need to pay to support a service you like using, find another one that is "free" because it monetizes itself by mining your data (google), or build one yourself :)

Excuse me, Mr Bankrobber, but:

- when I began using Evernote yes, I could access it offline with my basic and free account, make adjustments to my documents and, when I connected my wi-fi only iPad to a wi-fi network, it would sync and I would be able to access the changed documents on my iMac and my iPhone. It was a great feature that made me choose Evernote instead of other similar apps. AND it was FREE! Now it must be paid. Unfair part I...

- maybe you don't know also, but Evernote used to have a checkbox feature that allowed you to keep it logged in your account OR NOT. This way, you could access you account on any computer in the world and, just by leaving the checkbox unchecked, when you quit Evernote, it would automatically log out from that account and, to access it again, you would need the password for it. Today, you have to log out, then quit. Otherwise Evernote will keep logged to that account and anyone will have access to it! Simple as that. I believe this fits as an access security feature, doesn't? It was also free. Now, password is a paid feature. Unfair, part II...

Maybe you're a relatively new user, one that hasn't been using Evernote from the beginning, one that doesn't use Mac OS X or iOS, so you haven't got these features for free and don't know they existed and were changed for Evernote's profit. In this forum there are many topics relating to this, specially the logged checkbox, should you doubt what I'm saying.

My best

Sorry, but Metrodon (bank robber?) is correct. Offline access to notes has NEVER been free except when notes were cached or individual notes were "favorited". And favorites have been gone for many years. Here's proof ( see link below) by way of someone else complaining in July. 2013 and that thread links to a similar complaint in October 2010.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/39907-used-to-have-offline-access-to-notes-without-premium/

On the subject of Evernote being free, I am fine with paying something.  A free service has to be supported.  If users do not pay directly, then advertisers are paying.  That means the advertisers are going to take away some of your time.  I prefer to control my own time use.

Archived