Default monospace font is ugly. Also, a quick way of switching to monospace is needed

Berkana

Idea

I take a lot of notes about code, and I find it unnecessarily annoying to have to highlight and change fonts when I need to take notes quickly. Please give us a keyboard shortcut that will switch to the monospace font for typing code.

Please also give us a less ugly monospace font. The default font in the web interface seems to be a typewriter font.

• Like 2

8 replies to this idea

On 2017-5-24 at 1:56 PM, JohnLongney said:

With due respect, taking into consideration in no way implies actual promise of implementation.

Altogether web apps still are and will be for some time the no-frills tools. 

Proper reformatting through the desktop (full) version is the common approach. 

I am sorry, customer is king. This is mandatory for coders. 
And I think a lot of them are your customers.

Currently I miss :

1. Sans Serif Type, Monospace font that shows properly my code snippets (like a slashed zero)
   https://dejavu-fonts.github.io/
2. Text folding
3. Paragraph styles (title, subtitle, paragraph, code)
4. Style/Template configuration on note level, including a way to set default Style/Template on notebook level and global level
5. Configuration settings on note level/notebook level and global level to disable automatic text replacement/formating
6. Inclusion of openpgp.js for additional security, to sign/encrypt/decrypt fully of partially text in our notes.
   https://openpgpjs.org/
7. configurable, line numbers inside our code snippets

I create a new thread for this on:
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/106355-some-things-i-do-miss-badly/

Just wanted to +1 this as I also make code notes and get frustrated with Evernote over it, and want to add the following: 

a) Using a convention like ` (backtick) to surround code blocks (in typed notes of course) would save a lot of faff with, as OP mentions, selecting text then changing the font

b) What's really, hideously annoying is that the Windows and Mac clients don't have a monospaced font in common!  Ugh!!  This means that

• text formatted in Courier or Consolas on Windows shows up in Helvetica on Mac
  • vice versa: text in Andale Mono on Mac shows up as Arial on Windows

Monospace is monospace for a reason; it doesn't really matter which typeface, just please find a way not to convert text from mono- to non-monospaced font, it's so annoying.

With due respect, taking into consideration in no way implies actual promise of implementation.

Altogether web apps still are and will be for some time the no-frills tools. 

Proper reformatting through the desktop (full) version is the common approach. 

On 2/26/2021 at 3:24 AM, david_z_zhang said:

image.png.4dffec02a7c4b1ca0356c216b132f1b9.png

Only these 6 fonts,  only Monospace is the same width font.It's so ugly...I want to use apple fonts...

But how....

The easy way would be to write to apple and ask them to open source their fonts and pay all browser manufacturers to add apple fonts to the stock browser fonts.

If the default monospace font in your web browser is ugly then there's nothing Evernote can do about it. If you're using a modern web browser (like firefox or chrome) then you can set the default fonts.