Note Refresh Logic

pac_71

Idea

As I have noted previously I am very impressed by the speed at which the new web beta loads.

What I have noticed when I clip new bookmarks and content that it usually takes some prodding (such as clicking a note from the note list) for it to refresh the note list with the new note. Sometimes this does not work and it requires a change to a new notebook and then returning to the main (or relevant) notebook list. This does seem to be time dependant .... ie if i leave for a period to do other tasks without refreshing the Evernote page  and come back to continue with Evernote it requires the second method or even a browser refresh to update.

I am sure others will have noticed this in their use and I can obviously live with it .... but I thought the developers might like to think about how and why this happens to bring a more consistent refresh behaviour to Evernote.

7 replies to this idea

As I have noted previously I am very impressed by the speed at which the new web beta loads.

What I have noticed when I clip new bookmarks and content that it usually takes some prodding (such as clicking a note from the note list) for it to refresh the note list with the new note. Sometimes this does not work and it requires a change to a new notebook and then returning to the main (or relevant) notebook list. This does seem to be time dependant .... ie if i leave for a period to do other tasks without refreshing the Evernote page  and come back to continue with Evernote it requires the second method or even a browser refresh to update.

I am sure others will have noticed this in their use and I can obviously live with it .... but I thought the developers might like to think about how and why this happens to bring a more consistent refresh behaviour to Evernote.

Thank you for the feedback. Your observations are correct. If you leave the client running in the background then we will periodically update the note contents if they have changed. Depending on the last time we updated you may see a slight delay until the next update. Whereas, if you're actively working on a note or interacting with the interface, we will get updates more often because we are actively calling our servers. I'll fwd this feedback to the team. However, if you want to always have the most up to date data, a refresh will always force the update. We would advise, however, that our users make sure that their note has finished saving (the checkbox icon in at the top of the note, is no longer animating). This will ensure that we fully record your changes into the Evernote service. 

Nancy 

Hey Nancy. Long time no talk which must mean you are doing your job well :>

I have noticed since last weekend release around 15 Nov. The refresh problem seems to independent of how much I am using web clip.

Typically I could read for a few or even 10 minutes and you could still force the update by clipping on a previous post. But now that time period is apparently zero and I have to change between the current note book to all notes or vis versa to get the new content.

One other thing that happens intermittently is the scroll bars dont refresh properly right to the bottom of the screen stopping about 1" up from the bottom of the screen. No real problem apart from looking aesthetically poor. It could be content related as its only on occasional posts. It happens to the note content pane and the list pane.

Hope you are having fun

One other minor refresh problem that apparent is associated with this .... when you use to have the note list panel sorted by last date modified it used to move the edited note to the top of the list without prompted by a manual refresh.

Now its showing similar behavior by refusing to refresh not manually prodded by changing to all notes view or a different notebook etc.

Another change in behavior I have noted when I am manually poking evernote to get the new content that has not automatically updated, evernote will first load the content as before the last post and then adds the new content. I had not seen this before I noticed these recent problems.  Previously if you changed where you were viewing your content in every note you got all the data as stored .... not all the data except last entry and then the latest entry.

Another change in behavior I have noted when I am manually poking evernote to get the new content that has not automatically updated, evernote will first load the content as before the last post and then adds the new content. I had not seen this before I noticed these recent problems.  Previously if you changed where you were viewing your content in every note you got all the data as stored .... not all the data except last entry and then the latest entry.

Thank you for all of the feedback. We have refactored the notelist to make it load more smoothly and be more robust.  Looks like there may be some gaps. I will follow up with the engineering team. 

Nancy 

Thank you for all of the feedback. We have refactored the notelist to make it load more smoothly and be more robust.  Looks like there may be some gaps. I will follow up with the engineering team. 

Nancy 

Thanks Nancy.

I have also noticed. More often then not .... when i change from not view to choosing a notebook to display .... I have to do that twice before the notebook list populates.

PAC.

Nancy 

Thanks Nancy.

I have also noticed. More often then not .... when i change from not view to choosing a notebook to display .... I have to do that twice before the notebook list populates.

PAC.

Thank you for also bringing this up.  We'll take a look. - Nancy 

Archived