Why do titles get overwritten by their descriptions?

AssailantLF

This "feature" has been bugging me ever since I started using Evernote.

First of all, when you make a new note, it strangely decides to put your cursor after the title instead of on it. Let's say you type "look into meditation" as a note, leave the title blank, and click away from it. Suddenly, the blank note is named after the first line of its description. You now have a note with the same title and description, "look into meditation". This is annoying because now a majority of my notes have the same title and description, but I get that it's intended and not a bug. I wish there were an option to type titles first by default.

Now, the bug I'm experiencing is that I'll edit a previously created note, rewrite its description, click away, and suddenly the note's title is renamed to the first line of its description, except this time the note already had a title. I try to use the undo feature, but apparently history is only kept within one note, and if you click away, all that history is lost. Now my note's title is lost forever. This has happened a handful of times to me since starting to use Evernote about a week ago, and it's really souring my experience. And even weirder, if I do the same thing in the website, the title remains fine, but when I later sync those changes to the Windows version, it replaces the title.

The best way I have around this is to always leave the first line of the description the same as the title, and to just type all details below that first line.

Anyone else had this happen or have any suggestions on what to do?

Solution: edit the title

Once a title is edited, it will no longer change when the text in the body is changed at a later date.

Oh wow, that makes sense. It could be indicated a little better, though, if this post is any indication. Thanks for the fast reply & info!

Still, it's pretty tedious that I have to click the title for every new note. Did you know the new beta website will start editing the title first? I hope it's a sign of things to come, and not just a beta inconsistency.

• Level 5

Based on past experience, I have learned to stay away from Evernote betas. I generally don't upgrade a general release until it has been out in the public for at least a month. It is better to have other people find the problems first. 

When the duplicate title and same first sentence in the note were released a few years ago, I complained.

When the duplicate title and same first sentence in the note were released a few years ago, I complained.

But there were a lot of users who thought the repeating information was beneficial. 

But there were a lot of users who thought the repeating information was beneficial.

So I finally gave up and learned to live with it.

So I finally gave up and learned to live with it.

Archived