Help needed to get iOS Reminders to Evernote using ifttt

I'm using this ifttt recipe to get iOS Reminders I create with Siri into Evernote. Or at least trying to do this. I just can't get Siri to save my reminder to the correct List in the Reminder app.

This are the instructions which seem simple enough:

create a reminders list called "Evernote" in your iOS Reminders app. Then tell Siri, "Add Evernote reminder [your note here]". This will create a new reminder in your Evernote list, which in turn will append the dictated message to a note in Evernote called "Siri Notes".

Like it says I have created the list called Evernote in my Reminders app. But when I tell Siri "Add Evernote reminder this is my test note" it creates this text in the default list called Reminders. And thus my ifttt trigger never fires.

How do I get Siri to put my spoken reminder in the actual Evernote list? This seems to be a popular recipe on ifttt but I can't get it to work :(

I tinkered with IFTTT recipes for iOS reminders and Evernote some time back... But if I remember correctly, it's mostly a hording thing vs an actual practical thing.

You might want to look into this approach and see if it does perhaps not offer a more practical alternative:

Sign up for the free Sunrise Calendar. It connects to loads of services. In your case you could integrate your iOS reminders, iCalendar and Evernote reminders. It will show everything at the right time scheduled. You see everything plotted on one consolidated interface. If you're not using Evernote for task management, you'll most likely find that whatever task-management app you're using will integrate with Sunrise Calendar too: Wunderlist, Todoist, Trello, etc.

Sunrise Calendar is a great service - even for those that push to have everything under one roof - mostly because it's near impossible to shake our calendar apps. They'll be around for a long time to come... And Sunrise Calendar can practically replace whatever your default calendar happens to be by pulling it all in... No need to consult it as often. So in that sense it's not just another app that adds more clutter. A good trade-off.

Thank you my friend! I am not actually focused on giving myself true "reminders" - I'm just using this as a way to easily get short text items into Evernote while I am driving. I then manually move these items onto my to do list. Speaking to Siri is easier than opening Evernote, navigating to my desired note and dictating with the microphone.

I want to stick with Evernote for my to do list even though I've heard about these other to-do list managers. I keep a lot of other long, medium and short term content and one tool to manage it all in one place is better for me than best of breed separate apps.

That said, does anything else sound easier than what I'm trying to do? I just realized I have to have both Evernote and ifttt running in background for this to work. otherwise the note does not post. I don't like this because leaving Evernote running on iphone ends up causing conflicting updates if I am using it on my PC or ipad.

Are you using Siri as an assistant to create reminders from the lock screen (or long press on the home button)... or are you actually opening the Reminders app and simply dictating from the keyboard microphone icon?

Depending on what you're currently doing, there are some fantastic 3rd-party Evernote apps that will help you to get the job done with some additional plusses... for example... for iOS, there's a beautiful little app... SnapEntry, which allows you to send text and/ or images to predetermined notebooks with preset tag(s) if you wish. Beautiful minimalist interface... If you're interested in getting there from the lock screen, you'd simply say to Siri, "Open SnapEntry"... then hit the microphone icon and start dictating. Your snippet will go exactly where you've set it up to go. Alternatively you can change up the tags/ notebook before hitting send. I've really put SnapEntry through its paces and it automates things brilliantly... such that you won't have to do a lot of any admin in Evernote at a later stage... unless you'd simply like to merge your notes. 

Also... it depends how you've set up your to-do list in Evernote. Are you using the Reminders list or checkboxes within a note... or maybe a GTD-like system with tags?

If you're using the Reminder list, there's an Evernote "widget" for your notification center accessible from the lock screen on iOS. If you get used to this, you can hit the Reminder icon and set up a direct reminder... BUT, it's not ideal while driving, because you have to manually choose a Reminder date and then hit the microphone icon to dictate a note. 

I am doing the long press to wake Siri up and tell her to make the reminder. I now have this working and it is working well when Siri can process dictation. Either my phone has issues or Siri has issues as about 50% of the time my text is not produced. But I hve the ifttt part working. I realized I need ifttt running but Evernote can be closed.

Within Evernote I just create a simpled numbered list which is sufficient as my to do list. I don't need actual reminders once I can get it on my list. I do like what you said about SnapEntry and am going to check that out next. Thanks for the tip!

• 5 months later...

I'm still struggling with this recipe despite having the basics working. I can get Siri to record the Reminder, and it will make it into Evernote. But I can't figure out:

(1) how quickly it runs, and

(2) when it generates Notifications (which I have turned on this feature)

There seems to be no pattern and no clarification documented. Sometimes it updates Evernote within moments, sometimes not until much later. And sometimes I get a Notification when it runs, sometimes I don't or sometimes the Notification occurs much later or not at all.

There seems to be nothing in the recipe configuration to set a frequency

23 minutes ago, wahoowad said:

I'm still struggling with this recipe despite having the basics working. I can get Siri to record the Reminder, and it will make it into Evernote. But I can't figure out:

(1) how quickly it runs, and

(2) when it generates Notifications (which I have turned on this feature)

There seems to be no pattern and no clarification documented. Sometimes it updates Evernote within moments, sometimes not until much later. And sometimes I get a Notification when it runs, sometimes I don't or sometimes the Notification occurs much later or not at all.

There seems to be nothing in the recipe configuration to set a frequency

I am experiencing the same problem you are having, Siri will create the note in Reminder but IFTTT takes days before it will fire. I created the recipe on January 4th and it did not fire until January 20th ??? Like you I have tinkered with the recipe at the IFTTT web page, checked the setup and get back the reply that the recipe is working! So, I am also in the dark, if someone can point "us" in the right direction that would be super.
Regards,
David in Wichita

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, ClutterBGone said:

I created the recipe on January 4th and it did not fire until January 20th ?

That seems very wrong.  Could it be something with your iPhone not connected to the cloud.

I don't find IFFT 100% reliable.  There is the timing issue, and sometimes things just get lost.  
I have a recipe set up for location changes, and it only works some of the time.
I also have a recipe set up for temperature changes - I have to trigger it multiple times to ensure it works.

25 minutes ago, wahoowad said:

Thanks for the moral support! Glad it is not just me. :blush:

Your contact today got me to playing around and found this to work.

First have IFTTT running in the background on your phone.
Next to this: Long press to wake up Siri. Say " Add Evernote Reminder" Siri comes back and says "what would you like to add to Evernote Reminder?" You now speak your note, Siri comes back and says "I have added it."

Wait a few moments and it will pop up in your Evernote account under the notebook called "Reminder" and will be appened to other notes, I now have three reminders!

Check it out and see if this will work for you!
David in Wichita

29 minutes ago, DTLow said:

That seems very wrong.  Could it be something with your iPhone not connected to the cloud.

I don't find IFFT 100% reliable.  There is the timing issue, and sometimes things just get lost.  
I have a recipe set up for location changes, and it only works some of the time.
I also have a recipe set up for temperature changes - I have to trigger it multiple times to ensure it works.

DTLow.
I kind of answered my own question, take a look below.

Your contact today got me to playing around and found this to work. First have IFTTT running in the background on your phone.
Next to this: Long press to wake up Siri. Say " Add Evernote Reminder" Siri comes back and says "what would you like to add to Evernote Reminder?" You now speak your note, Siri comes back and says "I have added it."

Wait a few moments and it will pop up in your Evernote account under the notebook called "Reminder" and will be appened to other notes, I now have three reminders!

Check it out and see if this will work for you!
David in Wichita

I haven't had an issue with it working...Siri will record my Reminder and ifttt gets it to Evernote....just eventually. Sometimes quick like today, other times not for days.

And I have come to depend upon the Notifications sent to my iPhone screen to inform when when it actually fires. But that is just as sketchy. Today is a great example - my test with Siri worked quickly (appeared in Evernote within moments) but I have still not received the Notification.

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, ClutterBGone said:

First have IFTTT running in the background on your phone.

I don't think I can always be sure that IFTTT is in the background.

Here's the result of reminders that get appended to an Evernote list
As you can see the order is somewhat random, and a Jan14 entry suddenly appeared.

January 23, 2016 at 09:15AM Testing 123
January 23, 2016 at 08:46AM testing
January 14, 2016 at 07:47PM Remember I don't
January 23, 2016 at 09:32AM XXX one
  • 1 year later...

I have been struggling with this applet as well. 

One thing I have been using for some time with Evernote and my Android phone is Voice2Note (Voice2note.dial2do.com/). It does not creat REMINDERS, per se, but it is truly nice, because I can be driving and call my Evernote number and it creates an Evernote note quickly and I can do whatever I want with it later. 

If I need to remember to buy oranges at the store, I can call myself and make a note of that. 

I I realize I forgot to send a note or card to someone while I am driving, I call my number and create a note to remind myself of it. 

It is FREE and it takes the voice and transcribes it to text. 

VERY nice. 

• Level 5*
On 18/08/2017 at 10:45 PM, imscottb said:

I have been struggling with this applet as well. 

One thing I have been using for some time with Evernote and my Android phone is Voice2Note (Voice2note.dial2do.com/). It does not creat REMINDERS, per se, but it is truly nice, because I can be driving and call my Evernote number and it creates an Evernote note quickly and I can do whatever I want with it later. 

If I need to remember to buy oranges at the store, I can call myself and make a note of that. 

I I realize I forgot to send a note or card to someone while I am driving, I call my number and create a note to remind myself of it. 

It is FREE and it takes the voice and transcribes it to text. 

VERY nice. 

I was quite interested,  but registration on the web page is 'unavailable' without any indication when or if it's coming back.  Plus this app isn't listed in the play store,  and the download link doesn't work on my laptop.  Not impressed so far...

• Level 5*

You can do this with an iPhone and Siri.  Something like "Hey Siri, message to evernote get some apples.".  Then a confirm "yes".  Gets you this.

ScreenClip.png.fd5a416c7d10884d503ae0e2b84d9fe1.png

You can get the reminder in the title of the note which requires "Hey Siri, email to Evernote get some..."  but more interaction re what do you want the email to say and the confirm.  My diction re pineapples needs some work.  FWIW.

ScreenClip1.png.015d94f7300c87859f440dec5a01d6fd.png

Archived