Need advice on scanning a large number of documents to Evernote

I am about to embark on a project to reduce 25 years of handwritten journal pages to Evernote and regain about 10 ft of bookshelf space and am studying my options before I begin.

The bulk of it is half pages, two pages per day. So optimum would be one scan per day. Which might not work with a document feeder. And if it can be a single jpeg I want them to be stored landscape, so they are easy to read. I think I will choose jpeg so that the printed dates on the pages are searchable. There is not a handwriting OCR alive that can cope with my hand writing. Even I have difficulty once it gets cold. 

Anyone try this? Anyone have thoughts on how to proceed? 

I don't understand what you mean by "half pages, two pages per day."

If the journal is back and front, a duplex scanner is the way to go. In theory jpeg should make your handwriting more likely to be OCRed, but if your handwriting is as bad as you say (I suggest you do some test scans and see what both Evernote and the scanner software you are using make of it), you could consider using PDFs. 

Again I don't understand the page layout you have. If everything is in book form, and you don't mind destroying the book form then go to your local print shop and have them cut off the bindings which will enable a duplex scanner as opposed to flat bed scanner. 

If this gives you the shivers (destroying the journals), it is possible that what you really should do is not scan any of this stuff, but box it up into storage in well labeled boxes. And keep all those boxes in long term storage (attic, basement, off site). 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi dvgibson - 

I think it's wonderful that you're working on digitalizing such a big part of your life. Hats off to you! 

I think that you should challenge our OCR with your handwriting :-). Why don't you test our application out by scanning a few pages (half pages or full, it doesn't matter) into Evernote by using the application's document scanner. Here's a user guide that will walk you through using the application and this feature: https://evernote.com/evernote/guide/ios/#3

Let me know how it goes. 

Archived