Resizing a table

Tony Vella

I created a table at 66%. After filling in all the info I discovered that the table would look better at, say, 75%. Is there a way of changing the overall width of the table without creating a new one and transferring all the info from the old one into it? Thanks in advance.

• Level 5*

What versions of OS and Evernote are you running?

Table handling is in a state of flux, with changes occurring in almost every release of EN Win  and EN Mac.

You might try mousing over (or around) the border of the right edge of the table until you see a horizontal double-headed arrow (↔︎), then click and drag to the desired width of the table.  Hopefully the columns will all adjust proportionally.

What versions of OS and Evernote are you running?

Table handling is in a state of flux, with changes occurring in almost every release of EN Win  and EN Mac.

You might try mousing over (or around) the border of the right edge of the table until you see a horizontal double-headed arrow (↔︎), then click and drag to the desired width of the table.  Hopefully the columns will all adjust proportionally.

I am using Win 7 Professional and Evernote 5.8.4.6870. Mousing over the boundries does not produce the desired double-headed arrow.

• Level 5*

OK, I think the table resizing feature came after Ver 5.8.4.

So, as a workaround, you can try copy the table from EN to a word processor like MS Word, resize and change the layout as desired, and then copy/paste back into EN.

In the future, you can even create the table in Word, then copy/paste into EN.

This is what I normally do for tables of any complexity.  I especially like the Word table setting of "Size to fit contents" for all cells in the table.

• Level 5*

I am using Win 7 Professional and Evernote 5.8.4.6870. Mousing over the boundries does not produce the desired double-headed arrow.

I'm also using Win 7, but with EN 5.8.13.8152 and mousing over does not produce resizing arrows for me either.
  • Level 5*

I'm also using Win 7, but with EN 5.8.13.8152 and mousing over does not produce resizing arrows for me either.

Well, sorry guys, I thought this feature had made it into EN Win.  Obviously not.   :(

I'm still running EN Win 5.8.4 because of all of the new bugs in the later versions.

• Level 5*

If you mouse over the right side of a table,  hover over the actual line to get the adjustment arrows - and dragging does adjust the width of the table and other columns.

Win 8 / EN 5.8.15

If you mouse over the right side of a table,  hover over the actual line to get the adjustment arrows - and dragging does adjust the width of the table and other columns.

Win 8 / EN 5.8.15

But not in EN 5.8.13.8152 (276152) Public

In win7

• Level 5*

Win 8 / EN 5.8.15

In win7

Yeah, that's the latest version for Win7, but it looks like they have a newer version for Win8. So hopefully the table resize feature will make it into an upcoming Win7 update.

Win 8 / EN 5.8.15

In win7

Yeah, that's the latest version for Win7, but it looks like they have a newer version for Win8. So hopefully the table resize feature will make it into an upcoming Win7 update.

Win7 and Win8 do not have separate releases.

5.8.13 is the current public release

5.8.15 is the current beta release

(and if I remember correctly, if you enable beta features in 5.8.13 that will enable the new editor. In .15, that's enabled by default.)

• Level 5*

Win7 and Win8 do not have separate releases.

5.8.13 is the current public release

5.8.15 is the current beta release

(and if I remember correctly, if you enable beta features in 5.8.13 that will enable the new editor. In .15, that's enabled by default.)

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize gazumped was using a beta version.

I look forward to the table column resize feature; too scared to try beta versions myself.   :o

• Level 5*

Table resize has been working for a few versions now, since 5.8.7 I think.  There was an issue where one had to position the cursor to the left right of the column edge in order to grab and resize.  I am on the beta as well but it was working for me on he last public.  Seems like it should be working for you @tavor.  :unsure:

EDIT:  Got my lefts and rights mixed up.

• Level 5*

Table resize has been working for a few versions now, since 5.8.7 I think.  There was an issue where one had to position the cursor to the left of the column edge in order to grab and resize.  I am on the beta as well but it was working for me on he last public.  Seems like it should be working for you @tavor.  :unsure:

It does not. At least 2 of us in this thread are on current public release for Windows and both of us have confirmed that it does not work. Left edge, right edge, of both individual columns and of the entire table, corners of table. No resize handles to be seen.

No big deal though as I can wait until the next release.

• Level 5*

Sorry, didn't mean to imply it wasn't happening.  Just weird that a standard piece of software would perform so differently,  Sweet mysteries of life...

• Level 5*

I like the salad metaphor. 

I use sweet mysteries for most things that make little to no sense to me, Young Frankenstein reference I suppose.  I am nothing if not the perennial optimist.  :)

Archived