(Archived) evernote's audio files are crashing itunes

soundsgoodtome

Idea

i'm using evernote 1.6.1, and itunes 9.0.3 in leopard 10.5.8.

i create audio files on my iphone, then they sync to the cloud. i access them on the mac client, then drag them to itunes' icon for listening in itunes. the files open fine and play fine only until the last 5-10 seconds of the file. at that point, playback stops, i get the spinning beachball, and itunes freezes. the only workaround is to force-quit itunes.

this has happened tonight with every audio file i've created (5 so far), and it's repeatable with each file. sometimes the freeze happens with 5 seconds left, sometimes with 9 seconds left, sometimes with 10. but itunes freezes every time without exception.

i've definitely used this workflow successfully (and extensively) in the past, but it's been a few months. so i don't know in which version of evernote (or in which version of itunes) this behavior began. the last time i did this type of work was late august of last year. at the time, i created dozens of audio notes without problem.

hmm, let me experiment....

(1) ok. i just took one of the audio files from august and opened it in itunes. it played perfectly from beginning to end and did not crash itunes. so it seems something has changed in the way that evernote creates audio files that -- and the change has taken place in the time since whatever version i was using in august -- something that's crashing itunes. i always stay current, so whatever version was current on august 21, that version was creating "clean" audio files. (i hope this is helpful.)

(2) i also sent one of today's audio files to another mac, running itunes 9.0.3 in snow leopard -- and the file crashed itunes on that mac, too.

i can play the files in mail, but not in itunes. this is a very serious problem for me, as i need to be able to manipulate the files i create with evernote.

4 replies to this idea

Thanks, I'll pass this along to QA.

For now, you may want to change the application associated with that file type from iTunes to Quicktime. You should be able to do this by dragging the file to the desktop, then right-click to open it with the desired application, and choose the checkbox to make that the default.

You can also listen to the audio from a note via the "Quick Look" button, so you don't need to open any external app.

Thanks, I'll pass this along to QA.

For now, you may want to change the application associated with that file type from iTunes to Quicktime. You should be able to do this by dragging the file to the desktop, then right-click to open it with the desired application, and choose the checkbox to make that the default.

You can also listen to the audio from a note via the "Quick Look" button, so you don't need to open any external app.

thanks. yes, i'm aware of the other options for playback, and this is good information to others who may encounter this issue. but for me, it's an organizational issue: i need to be able to categorize and organize the recordings in itunes, with the rest of my audio library.

i look forward to this issue being addressed. :)

thanks again.

Archived