Penultimate 6.1 Released

cifip

Idea

• Level 5

Hi all,

We released Penultimate 6.1 to the App Store earlier today.

This release contains major updates to many areas of the app. We've spent several months doing user testing and had several beta releases. We made a lot of updates based on user feedback, and we hope you like the changes.

What's new in 6.1:

• Choose your paper scrolling direction
    • Horizontal or Vertical. The choice is yours.
    • You'll be given the option to choose what's best for your writing on the first launch of version 6.1. If you'd like to change it any time afterwards, go to Settings > More Settings > Writing > Horizontal scrolling
  • New Reading View
    • Quickly scroll through your notes without any accidental marks
    • Tap to enter Writing Mode to edit your note
    • Tap on the note title to rename your note
  • Writing Mode improvements
    • Updated navigation controls that no longer block any page area while writing
    • Long press to add a photo to your note
    • Page controls to easily go forward or back or add a new page
  • Support for multiple paper types within a note
    • Modify paper types in the note settings tray (formerly known as thumbnail tray)
    • New pages added at the end of a note will be the same paper type as the last page
  • Zoom box improvements
    • Auto-drift starts moving the zoom box as soon as you start writing
    • Controls have been moved to improve user experience for right- and left-handed users
    • Zoom box constrained to page area
  • Notable bug fixes
    • Now able to download Writing paper collection
    • Pinch to close note has been disabled
    • Exporting longer notes has been fixed
    • Images can no longer be resized off of the page

Please let us know what you think.

You can download the Penultimate app from the App Store.

You can order the Jot Script 2 Evernote Edition Stylus from the Evernote Market.

Cheers!

18 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Hey, this version seems to be improvement. But...what happened to landscape mode? Is there a way to get it without having the border around it? Other than that, my jot touch pixel point seems to be working fairly well. Thanks for listening!

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

With horizontal scrolling turned on, landscape mode fits the entire page on the screen and results in borders. With horizontal scrolling turned off, we're able to scale the page without borders.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Chuck

• Level 5

Is a release imminent that fixes the issue that causes the writing to turn into an unreadable squiggle happening soon? I have to exit out of the note and re-enter the document every 10 minutes or so ... And the calls / meetings won't stop for my app problem :-)

We just got approved, so pushing the button on 6.1.1 right now. Forum post to follow.

Cheers,

Chuck

Is a release imminent that fixes the issue that causes the writing to turn into an unreadable squiggle happening soon? I have to exit out of the note and re-enter the document every 10 minutes or so ... And the calls / meetings won't stop for my app problem :-)

Chuck,

I do appreciate that turning the page horizontally was added back in, but why is there such a border? In the old Penultimate there was no border and allowed for you to turn through pages so they didn't scroll up and down on you as you wrote as they do now. 

Another simple question, why does Evernote continue to try and fix problems that they had resolved in the original Penultimate? Why not go back to the older version since that is what the customers seem to be requesting? It seems as though Evernote has lost a lot of users because they tried to change something that was already working for them.

If you turn off horizontal scrolling, you will get landscape view without the borders.

I'm enjoying the app again, I think. For my simple purposes (rough sketches of cabinet jobs) it's working pretty well. I am enjoying the reader view, and landscape orientation.

I'm using horizontal scroll, which gives me the borders, but I think I like that better than verical scroll. I feel like it's easier to access the scroll buttons, that way.

I think you need another button to switch from drawing mode to reader. Since you have one going from reader to drawing, it seems counter-intuitive to use the back button to go the other way. Possibly an "eyeglasses" button in the same location as the "pen" button?

Is there a "save" button anywhere?

Are there any plans to add a text input keyboard for those of us with horrible printing skills?

Chuck,

I do appreciate that turning the page horizontally was added back in, but why is there such a border? In the old Penultimate there was no border and allowed for you to turn through pages so they didn't scroll up and down on you as you wrote as they do now. 

Another simple question, why does Evernote continue to try and fix problems that they had resolved in the original Penultimate? Why not go back to the older version since that is what the customers seem to be requesting? It seems as though Evernote has lost a lot of users because they tried to change something that was already working for them.

I'm sorry to say, but this last update is one of the worst app updates I've ever experienced.

I use the app every day but am now seriously considering switching to another. It's so buggy. It feels like, A first beta. ...

Some of the issues:

Ink used to be super smooth, there's now noticeable lag as I'm writing. This completely destroys the feel of using the app.

Undo is buggy. Some times it undoes an entire page rather than the last mark I made.

The app does not remember the colour of my highlighter.

Rotating the iPad makes the app jump to ramdom pages, not simply rotate the page I'm on.

I'm on a new iPad mini 3 with lots of space, everything unto date and everything else working fine. Penultimate was fine until the last update.

Personally the new UI looks like the comic sans of UI (not a good thing...). I could ignore this if the basic functions of the app worked.

• Level 5

Hi there!

I'm in trouble. Since last week, with the new release, all my synced notes are not able to be import from dropbox. It's like they are corrupted. I have an error message telling me I have to choose a .pen or .ppr file. The files are here, but cannot be opened by penultimate. All my work could be lost. Is there someone who can help me?? Thx

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear this. Can you please file a support ticket and include your activity log? Please reply with the ticket number and we can troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Chuck

Hi there!

I'm in trouble. Since last week, with the new release, all my synced notes are not able to be import from dropbox. It's like they are corrupted. I have an error message telling me I have to choose a .pen or .ppr file. The files are here, but cannot be opened by penultimate. All my work could be lost. Is there someone who can help me?? Thx

Hey, this version seems to be improvement. But...what happened to landscape mode? Is there a way to get it without having the border around it? Other than that, my jot touch pixel point seems to be working fairly well. Thanks for listening!

I contacted Evernote support this morning and got a fix for the JS2 connection.

1. Close Penultimate App.

2. Turn OFF Bluetooth on IPad.

3. Power off iPad.

4. Power on iPad.

5. Turn ON Bluetooth.

6. Open Penultimate and JS2 connects.

The cycling of the iPad with Bluetooth off clears "stale" connections, it worked first time for me. Evernote (John) thank you.

• Level 5

I downloaded the update yesterday and like the new look and features that you have added. 

My major issue is that I cannot now connect my Adonit Jot Script 2 to my iPad Air using the app Stylus Settings option (either in the settings or on the writing page) ... it just states "Connecting" and does nothing else. I cannot write on the app now and it was fine in the minutes before the update of the app (I use the app and pen daily to record meeting notes).

I have looked online and followed all the suggestions;

1. Charge the Jot Script 2

2. Reset the iPad

3. Delete and reload the app

Is anyone else experiencing this issue ?

~Si

I had a similar issue. In my case, the JS2 was writing, but not connected. I was able to finally get it to connect by going into the Stylus Settings dialog, where when I held the stylus to the target I got no "Connecting" animation or status, then into the Wrist Position dialog, changed nothing and tapped "Back" to get back to the Stylus Settings. Then the "Connecting" animation started working, but it took several attempts to get the stylus to connect. It's been connecting without issue since.

It's not very scientific, but I hope that helps...

Update: I ended up uninstalling and re-installing the app, and then could not get my JS2 to connect. Then, after some messing around, I was able to get it to connect by tapping the outer circle of the target...

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your issues connecting the stylus.

A few things to try (and hopefully avoid uninstalling / reinstalling the app in the future):

1. Make sure your stylus is charged
  2. Disconnect your stylus from other apps and other devices that you've been connected with
  3. Press the button on the stylus until the light appears
  4. Connect in the Stylus Settings dialog
  5. If that doesn't work, save any note that you're working on, and force quit the app (double click the home button and swipe up on Penultimate). Relaunch the app an try to connect again in the Stylus Settings.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Chuck

• Level 5

Just had a quick try of Penultimate 6.1 and it does seem slicker and some of the fixes have made a positive difference - nice to be able to easily scroll down pages and it seems to respond a bit quicker to clicks on folders/notes to open them. It is still laborious getting back to where one was previously - this becomes a MAJOR issue when one is doing something which requires one to move in/out/in of Penultimate e.g. where one is reading something on iBooks (say) and making separate written notes in Penultimate of key points as they crop up. Other writing programs (I have bamboo, OneNote and Noteshelf) don't seem to have this issue. 

Three queries if I may - not sure if this is the right place to pose them:

* can you move a note from one notebook to another? 

* related to the last point - is their a Penultimate 'manual' so one can first study that and not hassle busy people like you folk to respond to such queries?

* I see sometimes one seems to start in non-writing mode and one then needs to click the icon in the top right to move to writing mode again - no problem with that but can one move from writing mode back to scrolling mode? If so, how please?

thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. Good points on swapping between apps. We'll look for ways to make that better.

* can you move a note from one notebook to another? 

- Currently, if you want to move a note from one notebook to another, it needs to be done using an Evernote app or web client.

* related to the last point - is their a Penultimate 'manual' so one can first study that and not hassle busy people like you folk to respond to such queries?
- You can check out the Getting Started Guide (not yet updated for this release, but the concepts still hold true). It can also be accessed in the app under Settings > More Settings > General > Getting Started Guid. 

* I see sometimes one seems to start in non-writing mode and one then needs to click the icon in the top right to move to writing mode again - no problem with that but can one move from writing mode back to scrolling mode? If so, how please?
- If you start a new note, it will open in Writing Mode. Tap the back arrow "<" in the top left to go to the Reading View. If you open an existing note, it will open in Reading View.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Chuck

I downloaded the update yesterday and like the new look and features that you have added. 

My major issue is that I cannot now connect my Adonit Jot Script 2 to my iPad Air using the app Stylus Settings option (either in the settings or on the writing page) ... it just states "Connecting" and does nothing else. I cannot write on the app now and it was fine in the minutes before the update of the app (I use the app and pen daily to record meeting notes).

2. Reset the iPad

~Si

I had a similar issue. In my case, the JS2 was writing, but not connected. I was able to finally get it to connect by going into the Stylus Settings dialog, where when I held the stylus to the target I got no "Connecting" animation or status, then into the Wrist Position dialog, changed nothing and tapped "Back" to get back to the Stylus Settings. Then the "Connecting" animation started working, but it took several attempts to get the stylus to connect. It's been connecting without issue since.

It's not very scientific, but I hope that helps...

Update: I ended up uninstalling and re-installing the app, and then could not get my JS2 to connect. Then, after some messing around, I was able to get it to connect by tapping the outer circle of the target...

2. Reset the iPad

~Si

Just had a quick try of Penultimate 6.1 and it does seem slicker and some of the fixes have made a positive difference - nice to be able to easily scroll down pages and it seems to respond a bit quicker to clicks on folders/notes to open them. It is still laborious getting back to where one was previously - this becomes a MAJOR issue when one is doing something which requires one to move in/out/in of Penultimate e.g. where one is reading something on iBooks (say) and making separate written notes in Penultimate of key points as they crop up. Other writing programs (I have bamboo, OneNote and Noteshelf) don't seem to have this issue. 

Three queries if I may - not sure if this is the right place to pose them:

* can you move a note from one notebook to another? 

* related to the last point - is their a Penultimate 'manual' so one can first study that and not hassle busy people like you folk to respond to such queries?

* I see sometimes one seems to start in non-writing mode and one then needs to click the icon in the top right to move to writing mode again - no problem with that but can one move from writing mode back to scrolling mode? If so, how please?

thanks

Archived