Limited image resolution

Hi,

I use Evernote on Android but had been using it on iOS before that for a long time.  I love the product.  I am writing to describe a frustrating issue with the image viewer that seems specific to the android version of Evernote.

Specifically, if I look at a note in "note view" and pinch zoom into a photo, I get the full resolution of that JPEG or PNG.  However, the note view is cluttered and not the best place to view an image.  If I press the image, it opens the image viewer.  In this view, if I pinch zoom in, the resolution of all images (regardless of format) is much reduced.  I would guess about 2-4x less resolution and I see the linear interpolation artefacts very clearly.

If you are able to show the full res in the main note view, why not in the view dedicated to images?

A second, unrelated comment about the image viewer on Android.  When you open it, I think you should fade out the top bar with the back, share, etc and only display it with a tap like most of the image apps.  This would free up more real estate and be better for presenting an image.

I hope these two comments make sense and that you would fix them at an appropriate time, especially the first one.

Kind Regards,

--James

Hi,

I use Evernote on Android but had been using it on iOS before that for a long time.  I love the product.  I am writing to describe a frustrating issue with the image viewer that seems specific to the android version of Evernote.

Specifically, if I look at a note in "note view" and pinch zoom into a photo, I get the full resolution of that JPEG or PNG.  However, the note view is cluttered and not the best place to view an image.  If I press the image, it opens the image viewer.  In this view, if I pinch zoom in, the resolution of all images (regardless of format) is much reduced.  I would guess about 2-4x less resolution and I see the linear interpolation artefacts very clearly.

If you are able to show the full res in the main note view, why not in the view dedicated to images?

A second, unrelated comment about the image viewer on Android.  When you open it, I think you should fade out the top bar with the back, share, etc and only display it with a tap like most of the image apps.  This would free up more real estate and be better for presenting an image.

I hope these two comments make sense and that you would fix them at an appropriate time, especially the first one.

Kind Regards,

--James

Thanks for the feedback James, 

About the resolution issue. 

This doesn't sound right indeed. I added this request on our list so we can have a look at what we can do. 

We may have some memory constraints to deal with which may explain this behavior. 

About the UX recommendations. 

We should work soon on the image previewer and we'll consider your feedback.

• 3 months later...

Hello Evernote Team,

I just wanted to thank you for actually fixing the resolution issue: now image files viewed fullscreen are drawn at their full native resolution.  This is really helpful for my work where I need to look at detailed screenshots from applications.

The UX suggestion I made of making the top bar fade away on tap isn't done yet, but maybe that will come.

Just wanted to pass along my appreciation that Evernote is moving in a good direction for me.

Kind Regards,

--James

• 4 months later...

Hello, I just noticed the low resolution issue in image viewer for Android.

I have a panoramic 5353 x 1511 image (it is a technical drawing)  attached to a note, but Evernote's image viewer displays it with blur when zooming in,  so that important details cannot be read. 

I can get full details only If I save the attachment and then open it in gallery. 

Can this be fixed so that image viewer can display the full resolution when zooming in, like the phone gallery app does? 

Regards,

Vito. 

15 hours ago, Matt W. said:

Hello @Vito Marolda,

Thank you for posting. I would recommend creating a support ticket so that we could troubleshoot what could be causing this and how it appears. Please create a ticket using the link found in my signature. From there we can further look into this.

Hello Matt,

sorry, I cannot find the link you mention. Can you please help?

--Vito

Archived