Android Two-Step authentication reload

Recently came across the two-step option and decided to turn it on for security. I then downloaded the google authenticator to my Galaxy S3 and finished the install. It does work well as I was prompted on this PC login to give the counter code.

My question is that due to some issues with Verizon I may soon have to reload my phone with a factory reset, thus needing to reinstall applications. What should be the proper sequence in this case? Should I disable two-step, then remove the authenticator beforehand or once I come back to it with the clean phone will there be any issues? A step by step would be greatly appreciated BEFORE I do anything that commits me one way or the other...

Drom

• Level 5*

I haven't done this,  so if you get feedback from anyone else who has,  then obviously they should get more credence;  but I would have tried..

1. disable two-step
  2. check standard login is working
  3. Do whatever you have to with the phone OS
  4. Reinstall
  5. check access
  6. Go back to two-step.
  • 1 year later...

HI,

I solve very similar issue.

I use Evernote on my corporate cell phone that I have to reset quite often due to some tests that I do from time to time. Therefore I have to reinstall Evernote and many other applications quite often. And every time I have to disable the two-factor authentication and then enable it again, includint the SMS re-verifications and new backup codes regeneration.
- I don´t mind about the new set of backup codes. I simply generate a new set of them and print/save them.
- I DO mind about the re-verification of other cell phones with SMS.
I would like to be able to just scan another QR code and set up my Google Authenticatior (G.A.) from a scratch. For example with gmail I do have such an option - to just scan the QR code and save it in the G.A.

Is it possible somehow? Will it be possible in the future?
Thanks

Tomas

Archived