Evernote for Mac 6.0.16 Released

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

Today we released Evernote for Mac 6.0.16 which fixes the sidebar font issue on Yosemite.  This is a very targeted release and only contains the sidebar font fix and a few other bug fixes including one around note contents not appearing in a shared notebook under specific circumstances and a fix for the #1 crashing bug in our App Store release which occurred during the upgrade process.

This does NOT include a fix for the note editor issue for Lion customers who are seeing weird selection behavior after deleting words.  We already have a fix for this issue but are continuing to test it internally.  Since it’s a note editor change, we won’t ship an update until our next big release but we’ll have a beta version ready soon for those that would like to use the latest software.  

Also, I want to give everyone a heads up that we will be dropping support for older OSs in the not too distant future as we prepare and make changes to support Apple's latest operating system called OS X El Capitan. This won't affect most of you since it looks like almost everyone has upgraded to either OS X 10.9 or 10.10 but obviously there are a few of you continuing to use Lion and Mountain Lion.  What this means is if you use Apple's old operating systems you won't be able to upgrade to the latest version of Evernote.  We have NOT dropped support yet but I wanted to make everyone aware that it's coming.  

You can download this release at:  Evernote for 6.0.16 DMG.   By the way, if you ever want to revert back to a previous version of the software, please check the release forum posts where i typically add direct download links to each version.

The Mac App Store version has been submitted to Apple and we’ll release it once Apple gives us approval.   

Please report 6.0.16 issues here so it's easier for us to find.  I’ve been out on vacation for a couple of weeks which is why you haven’t seen me comment in the forums lately but I’m back.  

92 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi My JMichaels, any relation to Jesse M from an old band that you would know if that is who you are?

At any rate, good suggestion.  I am curious, what version are you running the web version or the store version?  Do you run into issues?  Are you afraid you are secretly being victim to lost data to data bit rot of sorts?

No relation.

It's better to call the "web version" the Direct D/L version to avoid confusion, since there actually is a separate EN Web client that runs in a Browser.

My main Mac is still on EN Mac 6.0.11 running Mavericks (10.9.5).

I have a test Mac on Ver 6.0.15.

I only use the Direct D/L version.  I see no advantage to the App Store version, and lot's of disadvantages.

App Store version:

• Has more bugs
  • Is released later
  • Has issues with Spotlight

Hi My JMichaels, any relation to Jesse M from an old band that you would know if that is who you are?

At any rate, good suggestion.  I am curious, what version are you running the web version or the store version?  Do you run into issues?  Are you afraid you are secretly being victim to lost data to data bit rot of sorts?

No relation.

It's better to call the "web version" the Direct D/L version to avoid confusion, since there actually is a separate EN Web client that runs in a Browser.

My main Mac is still on EN Mac 6.0.11 running Mavericks (10.9.5).

I have a test Mac on Ver 6.0.15.

I only use the Direct D/L version.  I see no advantage to the App Store version, and lot's of disadvantages.

App Store version:

• Has more bugs
  • Is released later
  • Has issues with Spotlight

Great point on not calling it the web version.  I actually thing every time i talk about it what to call it and I am sure you noticed in my posts I am all over the board.  Calling it the EN Direct Download version and the App Store Version makes great sense.  Maybe EN should do something with the version numbers to signify this.  add a .x to the version even numbers for Direct Download and odd numbers for App Store download.  I know a number of software products that use versioning of the last trailing dot bit in the version number to differentiate it from some other version.  So version 6.0.15.1 and 6.0.15.2, they only ever end in .1 or .2, releases change the numbers prior to those, and the last number is always a one or two.  Simple, and then if people don't state the version style in their post, they will put the version number, and we can easily deduct how to best answer them.

Evernote is crashing on start up 100% of the time.  It gets to the point of me seeing the initial screen, then crashes.  I have uninstalled Evernote and reinstalled 6.0.16, both through the Apple App store and with the link posted near the beginning of this topic.  My MacBook is running OS X Yosemite 10.10.4.  Any insight would be appreciated, as it is unusable right now.

Since you have already tried a reinstall and using the Direct D/L version, about the only thing left is a clear reinstall.

See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

• Level 5*

Evernote is crashing on start up 100% of the time.  It gets to the point of me seeing the initial screen, then crashes.  I have uninstalled Evernote and reinstalled 6.0.16, both through the Apple App store and with the link posted near the beginning of this topic.  My MacBook is running OS X Yosemite 10.10.4.  Any insight would be appreciated, as it is unusable right now.

Since you have already tried a reinstall and using the Direct D/L version, about the only thing left is a clear reinstall.

See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

Here is how I dealt with exactly what is happening to you/  Make sure you have no local notebooks, if you do, then email support and ask them how you deal with that within this scenario.  You have the Store version, go to the web version, take a glance, make sure it is all there, if so, good.  Now, search around, there is a lis that tells you where all the files are installed based on which version you have.  Why they don't move both apps to the store style install I will never know and they won't answer that question.

With all your notes remote and no local notebooks, and now your local files all backed up and deleted, you should have a fresh system with which to go from.  Install the download version from their site.  DO NOT use a beta version.  Make sure once you install it the first thing you do is set your preferences to no beta updates.

If you had local notebooks, my first oder of action would be to get those copied back over from archives and get them working.  How you will get just the right data from the databases I think they run, sqlite probably, I don't know, but that may need dealing with.

With that out of the way, login to you account and sync.  You should, in a few hours, days, depends on total data and your bandwidth, you should be back where you started.  This thread has enough questions by me and Michaels and others that it would answer how and why this happens if EN support would answer ALL the questions in this email thread.

I hope that helps.

* One quick and simple test, if you have another machine that has never had EN on it, I can't recommend another account on your machine as EN does not install at a user home dir ~/$HOME so a new account will still have scraps of old date laying around.  But a new computer that never had EN won't.  Create a new account, install the desktop download version, turn off beta's, sync, and see if that works.  If it does, you can then go to your broken system, and fix it by syncing up, or perhaps, by copying all the data from the other computer to your current computer.  There may be hidden invisible files, so be careful.  If you know your way around the command line, this is simple.  If not, it is harder.  

You can pretty easily locate all files with a sudo grep -it / everenote or a find / -iname "*evernote*"  Either of those commands will generate a list of files/folders containing the words Evernote in them, you can then start deleting them with the `sudo rm -rf "Exact Location"` command.

Other will hopefully chime in, but this is all getting out of hand, there are enough reports of updates breaking the app it should have been pulled from download 3 weeks ago.  These are showstoppers, not a little blurry font.

Not sure if this is already a known issue, but I am unable to use Evernote 6.0.16 on a fresh install of El Capitan public beta 2 on a 2015 Macbook 12".

Upon startup, I get an error message saying: "Missing required fonts: The following fonts are required for Evernote to function properly. Please add or enable these fonts, or the app may crash.

CaeciliaLTStd-Bold, CaeciliaLTStd-Italic, CaeciliaLTStd-Light, CaeciliaLTStd-Roman" (screenshoot).

I then click on continue, and even though evernote opens, all my notes appear as blank.

I know that running a beta, I should expect things not to always work smoothly, but is there any fix or hack to get it running? 

Thanks for the update.  Wiping the database should only be done if one's exhausted all other avenues to fix a crash on launch issue but it is required sometimes.  And yes, you want to export local notes before doing this because they won't be downloaded again after syncing.  Just to be clear, local notebooks is a very special type of notebook which is not synced to the cloud.  It doesn't mean the notebooks you can see while being offline.  On the Mac all your notebooks can be viewed offline because we store a copy on your Mac.   We don't recommend creating Local notebooks since they are not backed up with the Evernote service and can't be viewed on your mobile devices.  If you do have local notes then you'll want to do everything you can to try to get your client running so you don't lose them so please work with support if you run into this situation.

The app store and direct download versions of our software save in 2 different locations because of Apple's requirement to save App Store files in the folder called Container so this isn't decided by application developers.  The version numbers define what version of the software code is being run but also the database structure.  This is why we don't allow one to run an older version of the software with a newer database since they may not be able to communicate with each other.

Purgatory shouldn't continue to grow.  It should only keep files for 90 days.  I believe it's the place we put notes you delete from the trash.

Great questions.  I hope that provides some answers.

Thanks!

A few questions:

If Apple makes you use containers, which I think is a good thing, then why not make the download from your website version use containers as well?  Why not have the apps be in parity?  It is a free app and you have a subscription model, so this should be possible, unless Apple mandates that non App Store apps can't sandbox/containerize themselves.  What is the story here?  I don't see how Apple can dictate how you built an app that you have for download on your site, if you want to use containers, go for it, people can chose to download it directly from the site, or use the store.  Either way, you now have an app that has parity and no need to pop into a get info box just to get storage locations.

If you recommend only online notebooks, then when will you add encryption so we can in fact store bank data and other important data on your servers?

If Purgatory is not deleting every 90 days, what is the trigger, on the Mac, is is a LaunchAgent or LaunchDaemon that is on a schedule?  If it is, can you tell me the path to the plist so I can figure out why it is not working?

Why, sometimes does an upgrade make the app unable to work, launch, or otherwise behave?

Will you ever make a "backup" feature, where you can export and import back in, and maintain the app just as it was before you exported, in hopes that the export will fix things and clean them up?

Are you considering a different storage format for your notes, something like JSON perhaps?  Something more generic than the HTML EN DOCTYPE that then has HTML normal DOCTYPE's nested into it, with XML listing tags but not notebook names and such.  Can we expect this to be solved more gracefully?

I am certainly locked in pretty hard to your app right now, there is no simple way to get out, accept a lot of copy and paste, but you can't even copy and paste reliably from EN to other apps according to others reporting on it the other day and my experience testing it.

How come so many regressions?  How many Mac beta testers do you have and how many have had catastrophic data loss?  How many do you think may have data loss and not know about it?  I would like to give it a try, but I am afraid that I will get corrupt data.

Thanks again for answering my questions. I want to really love EN, but it seems to get harder and harder to just use.  Boot times used to be really fast, now, they are sloe enough I am annoyed by it, and I have not added a lot of notes, tags, notebook, or anything like that.

Thanks for the update.  Wiping the database should only be done if one's exhausted all other avenues to fix a crash on launch issue but it is required sometimes.  And yes, you want to export local notes before doing this because they won't be downloaded again after syncing.  Just to be clear, local notebooks is a very special type of notebook which is not synced to the cloud.  It doesn't mean the notebooks you can see while being offline.  On the Mac all your notebooks can be viewed offline because we store a copy on your Mac.   We don't recommend creating Local notebooks since they are not backed up with the Evernote service and can't be viewed on your mobile devices.  If you do have local notes then you'll want to do everything you can to try to get your client running so you don't lose them so please work with support if you run into this situation.

The app store and direct download versions of our software save in 2 different locations because of Apple's requirement to save App Store files in the folder called Container so this isn't decided by application developers.  The version numbers define what version of the software code is being run but also the database structure.  This is why we don't allow one to run an older version of the software with a newer database since they may not be able to communicate with each other.

Purgatory shouldn't continue to grow.  It should only keep files for 90 days.  I believe it's the place we put notes you delete from the trash.

Great questions.  I hope that provides some answers.

GreyGray, I'm not sure I understand why you're recommending exporting all of your notes.  First, I believe the issue is only with direct download not updating and not with App Store so you shouldn't have to switch versions.  Second after downloading a new version from our website we'll find the local database and it will just work so you shouldn't have to re-download anything.  In the worse case where you delete your local database to try to fix some local issue then we'll simply re-download all of your notes again to the new version of Evernote.  Everything wit hthe exception of local notes.  Are you trying to be super safe and making a backup in case something happens with the cloud version of your Evernote notes?  

I recommended exporting all the notes as if you have a local issue, where the app won't open, and you can't get past it, for example, an audio file that won't play, a video that won't play, a note that is not existing locally, etc, they seem to exist online, so the only way to get them to download, had been for me to delete it all, and let it download clean again.

I was running the app store version at one point in time, ran the auto update and the app would not launch.  I had to download the version from your site, which was an older version by a dot or so, and then the app launched.  But I did not like going back a version, so the only way I know to start over is to use the web to download all over again.  There is no way to export your data and import it back in clean and not lose some data like your notebooks.  I think tags are maintained, but as far as I know, notebooks are not maintained.

I still fail to see why there needs to be a difference aide from the store version or the web download version, neither need a serial number, you are a subscription based service.  Why don't the apps store stuff in the same place?  Why does the web based download version put stuff in such strange places, empty directories, com.evernote.etc.whatever all over the place.  A folder that has GB's of data in it, which I have no idea what it is for, as it has a different number of folders than notes, though it is within 5 or so in difference.  Did I lose some notes that I am unaware of?  There is a folder called purgatory, stuff builds up in it, no idea what it is or what to do about it, can I safely delete those files, why are they not cleaned up?

What would you suggest doing of you update the app, and it won't launch and crashes on trying to?  What do you suggest a user with some online notebooks and some office notebooks do in that situation?  How to they get back to a working state?

I am assuming if you have local notebooks, you are stuck, if those will not load, you are out of luck?

I have same update problem. Mac OX 10.10.4.  I cannot update 6.0.14, .15, or .16.  Seems to download, but then "Update Error"

Yeah, that is a fun little race condition/error to be in, I was able to work around it by downloading the version current, non beta from their website, but if you are using the App Store version, then you will have to convert to the non app store version first.  That can be a pain, or can be easy, depending on your workflow.  This again, is why we need a way to export/backup that is able to re-import fully, now as it stands, I think you lose your notebooks without doing a lot of work.

If you don't have a ton of notebooks, open your first notebook, select everything, give it a tag of the notebook name, and move on to your next notebook and so on and so forth until you have exported each notebook into its own file named in a way you know which notebook they are going back into.

Delete and reinstall all of evernote, look at all your exports, make a new notebook based on the name, and import.  Rinse and repeat.  Use your tags to pull up jut the items in that notebook to confirm it all worked.  You also may want to keep a note handy of how many items were in each notebook so you can compare and make sure nothing is missing.  But if there is, there is little I or anyone else is going to be able to tell you to do side from hoping you can find it on the web based system and either copy and paste out of there or duplicate the note there and hope that solves the corruption that is not allowing it to export and import.

Have fun of course, as this is how we all want to spend our days working to make our lives simpler. ;)

GreyGray, I'm not sure I understand why you're recommending exporting all of your notes.  First, I believe the issue is only with direct download and not with App Store so you shouldn't have to switch versions.  Second after downloading a new version from our website we'll find the local database and it will just work so you shouldn't have to re-download anything.  In the worse case where you delete your local database to try to fix some local issue then we'll simply re-download all of your notes again to the new version of Evernote.  Everything wit hthe exception of local notes.  Are you trying to be super safe and making a backup in case something happens with the cloud version of your Evernote notes?  

I have same update problem. Mac OX 10.10.4.  I cannot update 6.0.14, .15, or .16.  Seems to download, but then "Update Error"

Yeah, that is a fun little race condition/error to be in, I was able to work around it by downloading the version current, non beta from their website, but if you are using the App Store version, then you will have to convert to the non app store version first.  That can be a pain, or can be easy, depending on your workflow.  This again, is why we need a way to export/backup that is able to re-import fully, now as it stands, I think you lose your notebooks without doing a lot of work.

If you don't have a ton of notebooks, open your first notebook, select everything, give it a tag of the notebook name, and move on to your next notebook and so on and so forth until you have exported each notebook into its own file named in a way you know which notebook they are going back into.

Delete and reinstall all of evernote, look at all your exports, make a new notebook based on the name, and import.  Rinse and repeat.  Use your tags to pull up jut the items in that notebook to confirm it all worked.  You also may want to keep a note handy of how many items were in each notebook so you can compare and make sure nothing is missing.  But if there is, there is little I or anyone else is going to be able to tell you to do side from hoping you can find it on the web based system and either copy and paste out of there or duplicate the note there and hope that solves the corruption that is not allowing it to export and import.

Have fun of course, as this is how we all want to spend our days working to make our lives simpler. ;)

• Level 5*

Looking for a solution to the auto-select text problem aside from downgrading--  The one where if I were to go back and try to type the word "I am" before "...looking for a solution," this entire line of text would just read "I." 

The ONLY other fix or workaround that I know of is to update to the 6.1 Beta Candidate mentioned in the post just above yours.

Looking for a solution to the auto-select text problem aside from downgrading--  The one where if I were to go back and try to type the word "I am" before "...looking for a solution," this entire line of text would just read "I." 

We're trying to track down this Upgrade bug that has been hitting a number of people.  The best solution is to just go to evernote.com and re-download the app.  I sent you a direct message and would like to work with you to help us figure out the root problem.  Thanks.

I updated my OS to the el capitan beta and for some reason the fonts in all my notes has changed to "-webkit-standard", which looks like a bolded version of Gotham.  I cannot unbold the text and Gotham is no longer a choice in my font selections.  I am running 6.0.16.  Any fix for this?

Yup.  I see that too.  It's probably because the default font of El Capitan is now San Francisco vs Helvetica Neue which was the default font of Yosemite and Evernote.  We hope to have all of this fixed up before El Capitan ships.

Dear EN, 

Please find a good OSS cross platform text editing and rendering engine.  There are hundreds out there.  I have seen html txt areas that I can code in,could I code in the EN type window,no way.  Also, look for one that uses some cross colab in real time typing features, like sub eta edit which itself may be OSS, or the text editing may, or they at the least can point you in the right direction.  It is time to revamp the note taking window, it is terrible, no strike-thru, can't paste a lot of stuff, does not maintain even basic formatting,  It's time to make a change, and this could be a big one depending on the code base, or it could be as simple as dropping it in and hooking up a few libraries.

The hardest part is going to get it to save out into the EN format, which is a format that to this day makes me laugh, cry, and stare at in wonder and amazement that it even works.  Thank you for your consideration.

We're working on improving our note editor but what in particular are you looking for.  We do have strikethrough.  Either go to the Format / Style menu or use CTRL+CMD+K.  We also support superscript and subscript too.  Plus you can always bring up the Apple text dialog by using CMD+T to get full font control.

Since I installed the App Store version 6.0.16, every new note I create opens in a new window. This wasn't the case before and I can't find anything in the settings to change this. Is this only happening to me, or this is something new? If it is a new "feature", how can I turn it off and have new notes open within the main window?

This is not an issue I'm aware of.  You should only get a new note in a window if you're NOT in the Note view.  For example if you're in Tags clicking new note will pop it up in a window.  Is anyone else seeing this issue? 

I tried now and it works as expected

When in note view I create a new note and it opens in the same window

When in tags view I clicked on create new note and a new window opened

Tested on MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) with Yosemite 10.10.4 installed

Thanks - as it turns out, I didn't notice (didn't even pay attention as I didn't know it would make a difference) - I was in a search results list. It seems this behavior happens (maybe intentionally) when in that view, similarly to when being in the tags view. 

Since I installed the App Store version 6.0.16, every new note I create opens in a new window. This wasn't the case before and I can't find anything in the settings to change this. Is this only happening to me, or this is something new? If it is a new "feature", how can I turn it off and have new notes open within the main window?

This is not an issue I'm aware of.  You should only get a new note in a window if you're NOT in the Note view.  For example if you're in Tags clicking new note will pop it up in a window.  Is anyone else seeing this issue? 

Thanks for checking! I didn't know this was a different behavior depending on what view I was in, but you are right: if I am in a Notebook (is this what the Note view is?) new notes still open in the Notes list within that Notebook.

When I had this happen, I had search results displayed in the notes list area so I wasn't in a specific Notebook but looking at search results. Is this not a Note view? 

Now I understand the difference and you are right, it hasn't changed. I guess it's intentional then and has been that way before I just didn't notice as I never tried creating a new Note (which in this case would go into the Inbox) when I had a search result list in the left pane.

First I'm running a Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.3GHz i7 with 16GB of RAM, OS is 10.9.5 . I updated to 6.0.16 and about Evernote shows 6.0.14. 

The issue I want to report is that under top view the only column I can resize is the Created. The other columns Title, Update, Size and Tags will let me change the sort but not the size of the column.

Not sure if this is a known issue but I thought it would be best to report it.

It sounds like the update didn't work if you're still seeing 6.0.14 in the About box.  We're getting reports of some people having issues when trying to update so it's possible you ran into one of these issues.

In regards to the columns not resizing, I'm not aware of any issues.  We did fix a crashing bug in this area so changes were made in this area so it's possible there could be a regression.  I'm not in the office today so I don't have access to me 10.9 machine but will try tomorrow.  Anyone else seeing this issue?

First I'm running a Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.3GHz i7 with 16GB of RAM, OS is 10.9.5 . I updated to 6.0.16 and about Evernote shows 6.0.14. 

The issue I want to report is that under top view the only column I can resize is the Created. The other columns Title, Update, Size and Tags will let me change the sort but not the size of the column.

Not sure if this is a known issue but I thought it would be best to report it.

Thanks for the head’s up, Marcus, about Evernote dropping support for older OS X users. I understand the business reasons why, but my 2008 MacBook won’t let me upgrade to anything higher than 10.7.5. and I can’t afford a newer laptop in the next year…. Does this mean I will lose all value to having a Premium account on Evernote? I use it very heavily for note taking. Aloha...

The percentage of people using Lion is very small but I fully understand why people can't upgrade.  My sister has a MacBook Air and is on Lion too so I get it.  I personally don't think you'll lose the value of your Premium account.  6.1 will probably run forever on Lion as long as Apple doesn't change anything.  You just won't get new features and for many this is OK.  And when your MacBook konks out and you get a new machine then we'll have a new version you can use.  Mahalo...

Please fix the search function in the next version. Every time I click the search box the application crashes. This is a major bug that has been broken for several versions including the latest update. At the very least can I get a confirmation from Evernote that fixing this bug is on the roadmap?

I don't see this behavior with EN Mac 6.0.15 or .11 running either Mavericks or Yosemite.  I haven't seen it reported by anyone else.

So maybe it's something specific to your setup.  Probably best to submit a bug report so Evernote will have all of your details.

Maybe something is corrupt in your install.  Have you tried a app reinstall, or a clean reinstall?

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

Interesting that you say this hasn't been reported. This crash happens to me about 25% of the time when I am typing in the search box. When the application comes back up, I fill in the report form - I have lost track of how many times I have done this. Isn't anyone looking at these reports?  I am running Evernote 6.1 on MacOS 10.10.5 and it just happened again - didn't get the report form this time. I will follow your link and raise a support ticket.

Thank you for sending us the crash reports.  We read them and will fix the top crashing issues every release but the priority is set by the number of people affected and/or if it's something easy for us to reproduce which in turn makes it easy for us to fix.  I know the exact crash that you're hitting and this is one of those issues that is very rare and we can't reproduce it.  3 people reported this crash in the last release.  I'm not sure when we'll have a chance to review it but the fact that 2 people have now reported it in the forum makes it a higher priority and bumps it up on my list.

Please fix the search function in the next version. Every time I click the search box the application crashes. This is a major bug that has been broken for several versions including the latest update. At the very least can I get a confirmation from Evernote that fixing this bug is on the roadmap?

I don't see this behavior with EN Mac 6.0.15 or .11 running either Mavericks or Yosemite.  I haven't seen it reported by anyone else.

So maybe it's something specific to your setup.  Probably best to submit a bug report so Evernote will have all of your details.

Maybe something is corrupt in your install.  Have you tried a app reinstall, or a clean reinstall?

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

Interesting that you say this hasn't been reported. This crash happens to me about 25% of the time when I am typing in the search box. When the application comes back up, I fill in the report form - I have lost track of how many times I have done this. Isn't anyone looking at these reports?  I am running Evernote 6.1 on MacOS 10.10.5 and it just happened again - didn't get the report form this time. I will follow your link and raise a support ticket.

• Level 5*

I'm (still) on Lion and I faced the overriding issue with evernote, where I tried to insert words in existing sentences and it would delete words after the cursor. Anyway I found this forum thread and downloaded the beta version. 

This is a known bug for Mac OS X Lion users, and a fix is in progress.

It has been fixed in EN Mac 6.1 Beta 2.

Evernote SoftwareMarcus is asking for Lion and Mt. Lion users to confirm the fix by updating to this Beta 2, and to report any other Lion/Mt. Lion issues.

He says "This will be your last release so lets make sure that note editing is in really good shape before we call 6.1 done".

Hi there, 

I'm not sure if this has been raised but - 

I'm (still) on Lion and I faced the overriding issue with evernote, where I tried to insert words in existing sentences and it would delete words after the cursor. Anyway I found this forum thread and downloaded the beta version. That problem isn't there anymore in the main app page but it's still present when I open a note (in its own window). 

Really sorry to hear you guys are moving on from us Lion and Mountain Lion users btw :( 

• Level 5*

Seriously, if a file can't be saved with a certain name, change the name! It's HTML, so I'm not gonna lose the title because it will be in the file between the title tags.

Exactly!  This is programming 101 for save to file!  All illegal characters should be dropped or converted to a legal character.

I have over 11K notes, and I wanted to try exporting them as HTML files instead of XML. I got only a few files in when I got the alert "Unable to save HTML to disk" with a file that has a huge long title with lots of punctuation in it. Other than that, it's a simple text file (I even did a simplify formatting on it to make sure).

It would, frankly speaking, be a lot more useful to me to be able to export into a huge folder full of HTML and such rather than the XML, which is only good for backups IMHO. I know this isn't a new bug, but it's a sure a big giant hole in the "it's my data" mantra Evernote says. Seriously, if a file can't be saved with a certain name, change the name! It's HTML, so I'm not gonna lose the title because it will be in the file between the title tags.

Decrypting text encrypted on Evernote Windows is still not working for me.  Text encrypted in Evernote Mac decrypts fine, but not the other way around.  It just shows empty space, as if deleted, but thankfully it's not, because I can still decrypt and see the text in Windows or on Mobile.

Thanks for reporting this.  I was under the impression this worked but let me investigate more and I'll report back here.

Yes I get exactly the same behaviour.  I've had problems before with note text getting deleted on undelete but thankfully in this case it's not really getting deleted, it's just not visible on Mac.

Not sure if this is already a known issue, but I am unable to use Evernote 6.0.16 on a fresh install of El Capitan public beta 2 on a 2015 Macbook 12".

Upon startup, I get an error message saying: "Missing required fonts: The following fonts are required for Evernote to function properly. Please add or enable these fonts, or the app may crash.

CaeciliaLTStd-Bold, CaeciliaLTStd-Italic, CaeciliaLTStd-Light, CaeciliaLTStd-Roman" (screenshoot).

I then click on continue, and even though evernote opens, all my notes appear as blank.

I know that running a beta, I should expect things not to always work smoothly, but is there any fix or hack to get it running? 

We need some specific fonts installed to run so we display that error if those fonts aren't enabled on your machine.  Can you go to Font Book and see if you have those fonts installed and if you do please try to enable them.  A bunch of us have Evernote running on El Capitan and don't have see this issue so it might be something unique to your machine or possibly you're on a newer version of El Cap than we have and are seeing issues we haven't run into yet.

I was having the same problem, so I downloaded the fonts and copied directly to Machinosh HD/System/Library/Fonts and now Evernote started and worked as before the error message. Hope this helps!

We need some specific fonts installed to run so we display that error if those fonts aren't enabled on your machine.  Can you go to Font Book and see if you have those fonts installed and if you do please try to enable them.  A bunch of us have Evernote running on El Capitan and don't have see this issue so it might be something unique to your machine or possibly you're on a newer version of El Cap than we have and are seeing issues we haven't run into yet.

• Level 5*
@GreyGray:

I think you're being a tad harsh on Evernote.

Consider this:
  1. The last ver of EN Mac that will run on Lion should continue to work long after EN has quit supporting Lion.
    1. So, you are NOT "stuck".  You have a workable version, albeit you don't have the latest features and bug fixes.
    2. You do NOT have to switch to the EN Web client, although it is there in case of any issues.
    3. How do I know this?  I continued to use EN Mac 5.5.2 for almost a year because I did not like the versions after that (due to bugs and UI changes).  This includes a major rewrite of EN Mac.  I never had any issues with Ver 5.5.2.
  2. Evernote @SoftwareMarcus has clearly announced the end of support for Lion in the EN Mac 6.1 Beta thread
    1. He has acknowledged that this is an issue for users that can't upgrade past Lion
    2. He want to make sure Ver 6.1 is a solid ver for Lion because it is likely the last ver to work on Lion
    3. He has asked all Lion users to review and test Ver 6.1 Beta, and report issues, so that Evernote can fix the Lion issues.
  3. When the computer manufacturer, Apple, ends support for old Mac hardware, not supporting upgrades past Lion, how can you really expect software developers like Evernote to continue to support it forever?
    1. This is a common practice in the computer industry
    2. Once the HW manufacturer and/or the OS manufacturer drop support for a specific version, many, many software app developers also drop support for that version at some point.
  4. The number of users still using Lion must be a very small percent of total users.
    So not that many users are affected.
  5. Supporting very old OSs Consume valuable developer resources, and limit capabilities of current version of the app
    1. Frankly, I'd rather Evernote put their resources into fixing serious bugs in the current version, and adding key, important new features like high-level encryption on a per NB basis.

The Evernote for Mac 6.1 Beta Candidate has a number of features and fixes.  If you are running into these issues you may want to download this build and try it out.

The key fixes in this release are:

• A fix for Lion users who are seeing weird selection issues after deleting text.
For those of you that are Lion or Mountain Lion users, please try this beta and future beta versions out.  This will be your last release so lets make sure that note editing is in really good shape before we call 6.1 done.

How about an unofficial response in normal human talk :)

You are pretty much stuck, your machine is too old.  You can of course use the wed based system, which while it may not work in the version of Safari you are stuck on, Chrome should run on  our machine, and run the website ok, aside from the plugin, which in my opinion Safari wins hands down, aside from the bugs in the extension.

Thanks for the head’s up, Marcus, about Evernote dropping support for older OS X users. I understand the business reasons why, but my 2008 MacBook won’t let me upgrade to anything higher than 10.7.5. and I can’t afford a newer laptop in the next year…. Does this mean I will lose all value to having a Premium account on Evernote? I use it very heavily for note taking. Aloha...

Hey @SoftwareMarcus .  Everytime I try the update, it downloads a 6MB file and then give me this error: 

"An error occurred while downloading the update.  Please try again later."  I've tried numerous times with the same result.

Anyone else having this issue?  Any tips?  Should I just download the full version and install on top?

Mac OX 10.10.4 on a MacBook Pro Mid 2014 Retina 15in w/ 16GB memory.

• Level 5*

@GreyGray:  Let's continue this off-topic discussion elsewhere.  I don't want to clog this important thread with stuff not directly relevant to the release of Ver 6.0.16.  I'll PM you.

Thanks.

Maybe EN should do something with the version numbers to signify this.

They already do.  From my Evernote > About screen:

Version 6.0.11 (451580 Direct)

BTW, it would be helpful if you only quoted the relevant text, especially if you're responding to the post immediately above.

Yes, but that means the user has to be able to get to the about box, which is not always the case.  Version numbers have been bastardized over the years, they user to mean something from each point release.  And ending in even and odd or other methods used to mean something.  Now it is version X, or version 2015 etc.  

I would love to properly quote here, Try as I might, I click on Quote, and it grabs everything on the page, any edit I try to make to the quoted area, deleted the entire quote.  I am using Safari, perhaps that is the issue?

• Level 5*

Maybe EN should do something with the version numbers to signify this.

They already do.  From my Evernote > About screen:

Version 6.0.11 (451580 Direct)

BTW, it would be helpful if you only quoted the relevant text, especially if you're responding to the post immediately above.

I downloaded this update today and Evernote no longer works on my computer running Lion. I get a message "You can't open the application Evernote.app because it may be damaged or incomplete."

SoftwareMarcus may have a better idea/solution, but until he posts, you might try a simple app reinstall. 

In the past this type of problem was often fixed by a simple reinstall of the app.

This should not affect any of your Notes or other data.

But if you have any Local Notebooks, you might want to export them to ENEX files just to be safe.

To reinstall the app, see Evernote KB Article: How do I uninstall and reinstall Evernote [App]?

JMichael is right.  It sounds like there was some sort of file corruption during the update which can occur because of a glitch in the network connection or some other issue.  Just re-download the app from evernote.com.  It's always good to backup your local notes because these are not synced to the service but it shouldn't be required.

Can confirm the sidebar font bug is fixed. Nice work!

What was the bug specifically?  I still have a list on the left that no matter what notebook I am selected on there is no way to tell.  Do you all see bold selections in your left notebook lists?  Screenshot perhaps?  I updated and still see this behavior.

Perhaps I spoke too soon. "Click to add tags" is not operable for me in 6.0.16 with Lion. I am also unable to delete a tag.

Hi Anne,  We're not able to reproduce this issue.  I'll contact you directly so we can try to figure out the issue.

I get Update Error message as described here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/86392-error-message-when-trying-to-update-to-6015/#entry368960

It's happening for me for last two minor updates (have to download whole 60mb package and download manually each time)

This dialog appears when we detect that there's been file corruption in the upgrade process.  Previously you would have crashed if you launched Evernote.  For some reason this occurs for a few people all of the time and never for others.  We do not know why this happens.  The solution is simply to download Evernote from Evernote.com. 

• Level 5*

Today we released Evernote for Mac 6.0.16 which fixes the sidebar font issue on Yosemite.  This is a very targeted release and . . .

This does NOT include a fix for the note editor issue for Lion customers who are seeing weird selection behavior after deleting words.  We already have a fix for this issue but are continuing to test it internally.  Since it’s a note editor change, we won’t ship an update until our next big release but we’ll have a beta version ready soon for those that would like to use the latest software.  

For those Lion users who need a fix now to have a usable Evernote, you can downgrade to Ver 6.0.13.

See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

Links to Ver 6.0.13 Direct D/L are included in above.

Decrypting text encrypted on Evernote Windows is still not working for me.  Text encrypted in Evernote Mac decrypts fine, but not the other way around.  It just shows empty space, as if deleted, but thankfully it's not, because I can still decrypt and see the text in Windows or on Mobile.

Thanks for reporting this.  I was under the impression this worked but let me investigate more and I'l report back here.

Thanks!

mcapehart, I sent you direct message.  Take a look.  I'm not able to reproduce the issue but would like to chat with you more about this so we can figure out what is going on.  Thanks.

Thanks for reporting this.  I was under the impression this worked but let me investigate more and I'l report back here.

Thanks!

Thanks for reporting this.  I was under the impression this worked but let me investigate more and I'll report back here.

Thanks!

mcapehart, I sent you direct message.  Take a look.  I'm not able to reproduce the issue but would like to chat with you more about this so we can figure out what is going on.  Thanks.

Just want to update the community on the decryption issue mcapehart ran into.  mcapehart did more digging and it appears that if you encrypt multi-line text with at least one blank line using Evernote for Windows and then try to decrypt it on the Mac it won't decrypt.  I'm able to reproduce this so we'll take a look.  The work around for now is to get rid of blank lines between items.  This works for me.  This will only be a temporary work around until we can find a fix.  A big thanks to mcapehart for figuring this out.

• Level 5*

I downloaded this update today and Evernote no longer works on my computer running Lion. I get a message "You can't open the application Evernote.app because it may be damaged or incomplete."

SoftwareMarcus may have a better idea/solution, but until he posts, you might try a simple app reinstall. 

In the past this type of problem was often fixed by a simple reinstall of the app.

This should not affect any of your Notes or other data.

But if you have any Local Notebooks, you might want to export them to ENEX files just to be safe.

To reinstall the app, see Evernote KB Article: How do I uninstall and reinstall Evernote [App]?

I’ve been out on vacation for a couple of weeks which is why you haven’t seen me comment in the forums lately but I’m back.  

Marcus, I thought maybe you and the top Evernote devs were sequestered in a highly secure, non-disclosed location working on a major new Evernote Mac version that would blow our socks off (wow!  what an old expression  :o ) and fix all bugs.  The new Super EN Mac!   ;)

Welcome back!  I really hope EN Mac .16 does well.

You're right!   We are working on a super secret new version of Evernote Mac and have been placed in an underground facility where we're skirting old school hr rules and not allowed to communicate with the outside world so that everyone can stay focused on completing this super secret project.  Don't tell anyone.   :)

Hi PrivateStorm,  This is definitely not an issue everyone is seeing.  Of course we would fix this type of crash immediately if everyone was running into it.  I've reached out to you directly via a private message.  Please reply and I'm hoping we can figure out the issue you're running into.  Thanks.

• Level 5*

• Level 5*

I’ve been out on vacation for a couple of weeks which is why you haven’t seen me comment in the forums lately but I’m back.  

Marcus, I thought maybe you and the top Evernote devs were sequestered in a highly secure, non-disclosed location working on a major new Evernote Mac version that would blow our socks off (wow!  what an old expression  :o ) and fix all bugs.  The new Super EN Mac!   ;)

Welcome back!  I really hope EN Mac .16 does well.

Two things.

1) Please make the search behavior like it is on the iOS version. When I search for a note on the Mac, as soon as I edit the note to remove the criteria for which the note was selected, the note vanishes from the search results and I am thrown out of the edit mode. This not-so-helpful search behavior has existed for a few versions.

2) When I paste a section of text into the middle of a sentence, the curser jumps to the end of the sentence after the paste. Please leave the curser after the paste location. This behavior is new in 6.0.16.

• Level 5*

@SoftwareMarcus:

Please make the next EN Mac update solely focused on fixing the new bugs.

I am very disappointed, and frustrated, by the many new BUGs introduced in the last few updates, starting with Ver 6.0.13.

The new bugs have been accumulating to the point where the current Ver 6.0.16 is unusable for many.

I updated my OS to the el capitan beta and for some reason the fonts in all my notes has changed to "-webkit-standard", which looks like a bolded version of Gotham.  I cannot unbold the text and Gotham is no longer a choice in my font selections.  I am running 6.0.16.  Any fix for this?

• Level 5*

Running the latest Evernote application build on Mac 10.7.5 (Lion), and I've run into a bug that all but breaks the experience.  As I type, everything works fine.  However, when I click back in any earlier part of the note, it selected the remainder of the note with the first keystroke, and then deletes the highlight on the second keystroke.

Daniel, you may want to read the earlier posts in this thread which discuss the issue you are having.

See https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/86520-evernote-for-mac-6016-released/?p=369052

Hi, 

Running the latest Evernote application build on Mac 10.7.5 (Lion), and I've run into a bug that all but breaks the experience.  As I type, everything works fine.  However, when I click back in any earlier part of the note, it selected the remainder of the note with the first keystroke, and then deletes the highlight on the second keystroke.

For a visual, If I typed:

"This is a note in Evernote."

and then clicked in front of the letter 'a' and typed something:

"This is (n)a note in Evernote."

then the application automatically selects the rest of the phrase:

"This is (n)a note in Evernote."

and then with the next keystroke, it deletes the highlighted segment:

"This is n(o)"

With this ^ as the final result.  This bug was not present in the build prior to this one, and I'm unsure what may have caused it.  Can you look into correcting this error, or provide me with a temporary solution so I don't have to utilize the online app to edit my documents?

Thanks, 

Daniel

Dears,

I'm so happy with this release cause it fixed the scrolling issues I used to face (Now the left sidebar and the notes list scroll is very smooth and very natural)

However the note view itself still not very smooth, but I'm very satisfied with this updates

Things I'm still waiting for :) :

1- Fix the scroll of the note view to be smooth

2- Left sidebar functionality (context menu) to include creating new notebooks/notes

I have:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) with Yosemite 10.10.4 installed

Dear EN, 

Please find a good OSS cross platform text editing and rendering engine.  There are hundreds out there.  I have seen html txt areas that I can code in,could I code in the EN type window,no way.  Also, look for one that uses some cross colab in real time typing features, like sub eta edit which itself may be OSS, or the text editing may, or they at the least can point you in the right direction.  It is time to revamp the note taking window, it is terrible, no strike-thru, can't paste a lot of stuff, does not maintain even basic formatting,  It's time to make a change, and this could be a big one depending on the code base, or it could be as simple as dropping it in and hooking up a few libraries.

The hardest part is going to get it to save out into the EN format, which is a format that to this day makes me laugh, cry, and stare at in wonder and amazement that it even works.  Thank you for your consideration.

• Level 5*

BUG REPORT:  Can't Paste Text that Starts with "{"

EN Mac Ver 6.0.15 (NEW Bug)

Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9.5) & Yosemite (10.10.3)

Bug confirmed.  Text of {"foo": "bar"} pastes OK into TextEdit, TextWrangler, and MS Word.

When trying to paste into EN Mac using CMD-V, nothing happens.

Plain text was created in TextWrangler app.

I can't paste text starts with '{' into evernote, for example: {"foo": "bar"}

My version: Evernote for Mac 6.0.15 (451807 App Store)

Two things.

1) Please make the search behavior like it is on the iOS version. When I search for a note on the Mac, as soon as I edit the note to remove the criteria for which the note was selected, the note vanishes from the search results and I am thrown out of the edit mode. This not-so-helpful search behavior has existed for a few versions.

2) When I paste a section of text into the middle of a sentence, the curser jumps to the end of the paragraph after the paste. Please leave the curser after the paste location. This behavior is new in 6.0.16.

I tried now and it works as expected

When in note view I create a new note and it opens in the same window

When in tags view I clicked on create new note and a new window opened

Tested on MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) with Yosemite 10.10.4 installed

Hello, lately I've been experiencing some issues on the latest version starting from the previous one:

1) Encrypted note

- For some reason, when I open my encrypted note, it's just showing a blank space

- I can confirm that it's not blank since I can access the content within from my iPhone and from Evernote web

2) Sidebar notebook stack view

- Not sure if this is a bug or a "feature" but ever since I upgraded to version 6, every time I open Evernote, it would always collapse all stacks by default

- This is something undesirable in my case who has lots of stacks and lots of notebooks within them

I'm on 10.9.5 (Mavericks), by the way.

Regards

• Level 5*

BUG REPORT:  Copy of Images with Text is NOT Put on Clipboard Properly -- Image does NOT Paste

EN Mac Ver 6.0.13 (NEW Bug), .15, .16

Yosemite (10.10.3)

I can confirm the bug in Ver 6.0.15 as reported by @evbin below for Ver 6.0.16.

I just tested this in Ver 6.0.11 on Mavericks, and copy/paste of text & images works fine.

So it is definitely a NEW bug introduced with Ver 6.0.13.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. In an EN Note, select a segment that contains both text and images
  2. Copy (CMD-C)
  3. Switch to MS Word 2011 or to TextEdit
  4. Paste (CMD-V)
  5. Result:  Text is pasted, but image is NOT pasted.

Thank you for your reply. I tested it now with EN Mac 6.0.16. It is still the same issue. I also downloaded ClipBuddy to see precisely whether I have text + image in my clipboard or only text. The result is that I only have text in my clipboard, when I select and copy text and image in EN.

I will post it in the 6.0.16 thread as you suggested.

Further to the above, after reinstalling, emptying trash etc, I was trying to thing what had changed at my end and I realised I had started 'Stacking' notebooks. All the failed syncs came from one set of six notebooks in one stack. I unstacked and all is fine,

SO BUG! in Stacks. If it helps? the failing notebook all had hyphenated names "Rob Follis PR - Arcam"

With this release, for the first time ever, Evernote refuses to sync properly throwing up errors every minute or so (see screen) different folder every time. Infuriating as I have just moved my bookkeeper onto Evernote for accounting use. I have submitted logs to tech support,

post-127509-0-30511800-1437133916_thumb.

What was the bug specifically?  I still have a list on the left that no matter what notebook I am selected on there is no way to tell.  Do you all see bold selections in your left notebook lists?  Screenshot perhaps?  I updated and still see this behavior.

The bug was that the font looked blurry especially with Asian fonts because they are a lot more complex than roman characters.  

What you describe is actually not a bug but a design decision that was made a long time ago.  It's not an easy one to change because of the way the app is designed.  I'm not saying the design is a good one but it was a design decision and it's working as designed.  The complexity is how to handle a note when the user doesn't get to it via the sidebar.  If you go to a note that has 5 tags and is in a business notebook called "Designs" what should get highlighted on the sidebar.  Since you can have tags appear on the sidebar do all 5 of those tags get highlighted too?  What about the Business notes item under Notes and the notebook sidebar items called "Designs"?   Do they both get highlighted?  What happens if the notebook is in a stack and the notebook doesn't actually appear on the sidebar because the stack is collapsed.  Does the Stack get highlighted instead? Would you really want 7 things highlighted on the sidebar - 5 tags the business note item and the notebook called "design"?  To understand the note or tag list on the sidebar you have to think about them as shortcuts instead of actual "views" like the notebook view or tag view which is why they don't get highlighted.

I would say, make it work like an email client.  Your app is essentially an email client in design more or less.  It probably has a bunch of crusty protocols underneath it too  :)

There are plug-ins for mail.app that let you tag messages, the message you see, has no bearing on the selected folder.  As with email clients or EN, you can pop a note into a new window, opening  whole new can of worms.

I would simply say, if you click the notebook, it should bold.  Then it filters that notebook into the list, if you click on a note, it further shows you the full note on the far right panel.  Which is just one level deeper and has all the same problems, but the middle list of notes does in fact get a blue outline around it so you know it is selected.  If you can do it to note -> detail then the same should be possible with notebook -> hit list.

If you click on a tag, that tag should be bolded and all the items that are tagged under that name would show up in your hit list.  If a user doesn't get to a note via the sidebar, no bolding.  They are not connected in any way, at least not in my mind.  If I use Apple Mail, locate a message via spotlight, select it, the message will open up.  It could be nested 50 folders deep, no folder will be bolded because you get to the message in a way that does not involve the folder.

You are already displaying the currently selected notebook in the hit list, which I wish was in bold at the top, but I am pretty sure, that somewhere in that code, you could pop in a small condition that when the folder list is drawn and iterated through, if the hit list header is equal to the clicked on folder, then make that folder bold, if not, don't.  Applies to tags as well.  If anyone can show me an email client that is having a challenge with this and made a different design decision, I would love to hear about it. Of course, this means none of the newer one inbox type Mail cents, but from gmail web to desktop clients, they all manage to bold the folders.

I have almost contemplated using a mail application as EN, but IMAP just is not designed for read and write no matter how much others have abused the protocol to do so.  However, some OS email client at least would have a good starting point.  Rip out all the IMAP stuff and put in some other engine.  Regardless, If this is a simple change, I sure hope you guys talk about it and come up with something.

Thanks.

I still have a list on the left that no matter what notebook I am selected on there is no way to tell.  Do you all see bold selections in your left notebook lists?  Screenshot perhaps?  I updated and still see this behavior.

EDIT:  @GreyGray:  After rereading your post for the 3rd time, I think I now get it, and agree with you.  See my comments at the bottom of this post.

As @Marcus noted above, this is by design.

It works well for me, but I guess it depends on how you use/view the Notebook list in the Left Side Panel.

When I click on a Note, the Notebook is clearly displayed at the top of the Note.  Honestly, it would be better UI, IMO, if the Notebook name was more pronounced, like bold and a larger font.

The way I use/view it is as a Notebook filter.

• If I have "All Notes" selected, I would NOT want the Notebook in the Side Panel to be highlighted as I click through my notes.
  • If it did that, it would actually mislead me into think I had set a filter for the NB
  • When I want to filter my Note List by Notebook, I can just click on the Notebook in the Side Panel to set the Notebook for the filter.

OK, I'm testing EN Mac as I write this, and to my surprise, when I click on a NB in the Side Panel, it sets the filter and BRIEFLY highlights in the Side Panel, but then, without me doing anything, the Notebook highlight is removed.  This is counter-intuitive to me, and feels like a bug.

@Marcus:  Is this a bug?

Hey Explorer, 

Glad you are seeing what I am seeing.  EN basically already does this indirectly as I believe you pointed out.  If I click on a notebook on the left, at the top of the list, it will show that notebook name, I think a very simple, if notebook name header equals currently selected notebook, make that notebook bold.

If you have all notes selected, and you are browsing down all your notes, I would expect nothing to change, as you are in ALL NOTEBOOKS, so none of them should be bold, or I suppose ALL should be bold but that would just look funny.

In reality, EN is played out much like an email client, and the folders on the left in an email client are bolded, you can have sub folders that are more than one level deep.  The message you are selected on has no impact on the highlighting of the folder.  I would suggest EN just make it work like an email client.  An email client has more complexity as you can nest folders much deeper, and they seem to have no issue in that all of them bold the folder you are selected on.

I have a problem with copying and pasting text with images from the Evernote application into other applications on my Mac. The text is copied fine, but the images are lost. I checked with an application called ClipBuddy whether text + image is in the clipboard, or only text, and it is in fact only text, although I select and copy text with an image in Evernote.

I can copy an image individually by right-clicking on it and selecting "Copy image", but I need to be able to copy text *with* images. Is there a way how I can solve this?

I am using Mac OSX 10.9.5 and Evernote 6.0.16.

Thanks for any support!

Thanks!

Just want to update the community on the decryption issue mcapehart ran into.  mcapehart did more digging and it appears that if you encrypt multi-line text with at least one blank line using Evernote for Windows and then try to decrypt it on the Mac it won't decrypt.  I'm able to reproduce this so we'll take a look.  The work around for now is to get rid of blank lines between items.  This works for me.  This will only be a temporary work around until we can find a fix.  A big thanks to mcapehart for figuring this out.

Glad I could contribute and I'm even more happy you could reproduce it.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

I still have a list on the left that no matter what notebook I am selected on there is no way to tell.  Do you all see bold selections in your left notebook lists?  Screenshot perhaps?  I updated and still see this behavior.

EDIT:  @GreyGray:  After rereading your post for the 3rd time, I think I now get it, and agree with you.  See my comments at the bottom of this post.

As @Marcus noted above, this is by design.

It works well for me, but I guess it depends on how you use/view the Notebook list in the Left Side Panel.

When I click on a Note, the Notebook is clearly displayed at the top of the Note.  Honestly, it would be better UI, IMO, if the Notebook name was more pronounced, like bold and a larger font.

The way I use/view it is as a Notebook filter.

• If I have "All Notes" selected, I would NOT want the Notebook in the Side Panel to be highlighted as I click through my notes.
  • If it did that, it would actually mislead me into think I had set a filter for the NB
  • When I want to filter my Note List by Notebook, I can just click on the Notebook in the Side Panel to set the Notebook for the filter.

OK, I'm testing EN Mac as I write this, and to my surprise, when I click on a NB in the Side Panel, it sets the filter and BRIEFLY highlights in the Side Panel, but then, without me doing anything, the Notebook highlight is removed.  This is counter-intuitive to me, and feels like a bug.

@Marcus:  Is this a bug?

The bug was that the font looked blurry especially with Asian fonts because they are a lot more complex than roman characters.  

What you describe is actually not a bug but a design decision that was made a long time ago.  It's not an easy one to change because of the way the app is designed.  I'm not saying the design is a good one but it was a design decision and it's working as designed.  The complexity is how to handle a note when the user doesn't get to it via the sidebar.  If you go to a note that has 5 tags and is in a business notebook called "Designs" what should get highlighted on the sidebar.  Since you can have tags appear on the sidebar do all 5 of those tags get highlighted too?  What about the Business notes item under Notes and the notebook sidebar items called "Designs"?   Do they both get highlighted?  What happens if the notebook is in a stack and the notebook doesn't actually appear on the sidebar because the stack is collapsed.  Does the Stack get highlighted instead? Would you really want 7 things highlighted on the sidebar - 5 tags the business note item and the notebook called "design"?  To understand the note or tag list on the sidebar you have to think about them as shortcuts instead of actual "views" like the notebook view or tag view which is why they don't get highlighted.

Archived