Searching

Tony Vella

Please, could someone tell me how to search for a particular word in a particular notebook. It's probably very simply but it's eluding me. I search for a common word, say, "and" and the search gives me only the last instance the word was used when it is actually used some 20 times in each note.

Thanks in advance for all  help.

• Level 5

Searching for a common word usually requires two searches.

Put the common word in the search field to find all notes that contain the common word.

To search through one of the individual notes, click on the note body and press Ctrl F.

The search window is at the bottom of the screen.

You can scroll through the note using the Next or Previous arrow.

Here is a reply from Evernote back in 2010.

In the released version if Find-in-Note popup is not shown, Ctrl+F and Ctrl+G both do the same thing: open popup and start searching...

After rev 111605 Ctrl+F opens the popup but does not start searching, so previously searched text will not be immediately highlighted (you'll have to press Enter or type something to initiate search). Ctrl+G is different: it will start searching immediately, so previously searched text gets highlighted right away if found. Same for Ctrl+Shift+G.

If you press Ctrl+F while Find-in-Note popup is shown, the current search text gets cleared. Ctrl+G and Ctrl+Shift+G move highlighting to the next or previous match respectively. BTW, while Find-in-Note popup is shown you can press Enter and Shift+Enter instead of Ctrl+G and Ctrl+Shift+G.

• Level 5*

Relative to your first question, select the notebook you want to search, be sure Search Current Context is checked in the magnifying glass drop down by the search bar and you will only search notes in the notebook you selected.  In my case every instance of "and" is highlighted in the note.  FWIW.

• Level 5*

Please, could someone tell me how to search for a particular word in a particular notebook. It's probably very simply but it's eluding me. I search for a common word, say, "and" and the search gives me only the last instance the word was used when it is actually used some 20 times in each note.

Thanks in advance for all  help.

In the Search box enter:

notebook:<NotebookName> <WordToSearchFor>

For example:

notebook:personal insurance

If the NotebookName contains spaces, you will need to put it in quotes, like:    notebook:"my notebook"

For more info see EN KB Article:  Using Evernote's advanced search syntax

Using the much-appreciated assistance above, I have been able to figure out how to search. In the process I have discovered something rather strange.  I have a few chapters of a Modern Greek course. From each chapter I take the "vocabulary' (some 50 new words per chapter) and accumulate them in a note called Vocabulary - sort of building my own dictionary. When I search for a word in Greek, say room (δώματιο) I only get the word in the chapter note but not in the Vocabulary note. I wonder, if Evernote accepts my Greek alphabet and finds one instance, why does it not find the second instance? Interesting!

Thanks to all for you interest and patience.

• Level 5*

Try copy/paste from the chapter to the vocab note and see if search finds it then.  Could be some special character in the mix.  FWIW.

Archived