Automatic text selection

Just recently Evernote started automatically selecting text adjacent to a cursor entry.  How can I disable this?  For details of the problem please see the following brief video http://youtu.be/hUSMG2-RXPw or the description below. I am using Evernote Version 6.0.15 (451806 Direct) on OSX 10.7.5:

Lets say I start with the following text:

Evernote automatically selects this text

and add I wish to add "My" in front of this text, when I enter the "M", Evernote will automatically forward select all the text following the inserted letter "M".  For example,

MEvernote automatically selects this text

Then when I type the "y" to complete My, since "Evernote automatically selects this text" is highlighted the "y" replaces "Evernote automatically selects this text"

Similarly, if I start with:

MEvernote automatically selects this text

and I place the cursor after the "M" and click the  delete key to remove the "M", Evernote automatically forward selects "Evernote automatically selects this text"

This only happens in Evernote, not other text-based applications.  Deleting the app and associated com/preference files and reinstalling does not help.

How do i disable this?

I see the problem when using Evernote Version 6.0.15 (451806 Direct) on OSX 10.7.5 but NOT with Evernote Version 6.0.15 (451807 App Store) on OSX 10.9.5.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the report, and the excellent video, which clearly shows the improper behavior.

It a known bug, reported by many in the EN Mac 6.0.15 release thread.

Could you please post your Mac OS X version?

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

Thanks for the info.  Glad to know it is a common problem.  I posted a bug report as you suggested and updated the original post to note that  the problem is observed with Evernote Version 6.0.15 (451806 Direct) on OSX 10.7.5 but NOT with 6.0.15 (451807 App Store) on OSX 10.9.5.

Same problem for me.

I have Mac OSX 10.7.5 and on Evernote 6.0.16 (451861 Direct).

In addition, if I try to delete a letter IN FRONT OF THE CURSOR with DELETE key, Evernote also automatically select all letters after the cursor and if I type anything immediately without unselect those letters, I will lose them.

I think there is another similar report at https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/86290-glitch-backspacing-deletes-text-box/

• Level 5*

Today we released Evernote for Mac 6.0.16 which fixes the sidebar font issue on Yosemite.  This is a very targeted release and only contains the sidebar font fix and a few other bug fixes including one around note contents not appearing in a shared notebook under specific circumstances and a fix for the #1 crashing bug in our App Store release which occurred during the upgrade process.

This does NOT include a fix for the note editor issue for Lion customers who are seeing weird selection behavior after deleting words.  We already have a fix for this issue but are continuing to test it internally.  Since it’s a note editor change, we won’t ship an update until our next big release but we’ll have a beta version ready soon for those that would like to use the latest software.  
. . .
Please report 6.0.16 issues here so it's easier for us to find.  I’ve been out on vacation for a couple of weeks which is why you haven’t seen me comment in the forums lately but I’m back.  

Evernote acknowledged the bug and claim to already have a fix but it seems they are deliberately refusing to release the fix for some time"

"Today we released Evernote for Mac 6.0.16 which fixes the sidebar font issue on Yosemite. This is a very targeted release and only contains the sidebar font fix and a few other bug fixes including one around note contents not appearing in a shared notebook under specific circumstances and a fix for the #1 crashing bug in our App Store release which occurred during the upgrade process. This does NOT include a fix for the note editor issue for Lion customers who are seeing weird selection behavior after deleting words. We already have a fix for this issue but are continuing to test it internally. Since it’s a note editor change, we won’t ship an update until our next big release but we’ll have a beta version ready soon for those that would like to use the latest software. . . .Please report 6.0.16 issues here so it's easier for us to find. I’ve been out on vacation for a couple of weeks which is why you haven’t seen me comment in the forums lately but I’m back."

As other users have suggested, everyone should contact Evernote and let them know this issue makes their app unusable so they need to release the fix ASAP:

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. After login in their Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.

In my opinion, if they will delay release of the fix then they can at least release an installer for the last version that works (Version 6.0.13 (451655 Direct)).

In the meantime I found this "fix" for those who have a back-up in Time Machine or elsewhere.  Delete the current version of the Evernote application using AppCleaner and restore the last functioning version of the app from a back-up in June.  When you launch the replaced Evernote app it will repopulate preference files and your notes (at least it did with me).  I forgot to check whether it is repopulating notes from the web or from local data files.  You will need to manually reset your preferences.  Of course, back-up your notes just in case.  Probably not as good as a clean install with  6.0.13 but we need Evernote to provide the 6.0.13 installer for that.

Thanks JMichael's information, although not working directly for my Mac in the office.  Here is how I successfuly downgrade back to 6.0.13:

First and most important, I back up the notes by copy the whole database folder to another location in my harddrive.  The export and import way will be imposible for me as I have more than 26,000 notes in > 120 notebooks.  And the work to re-organize them using import will take hours of my work time.

The folder normally locate in the harddrive / Users / [username] / Library / Application Support / com.evernote.Evernote / accounts / www.evernote.com / [a random number] / content.  Although I backuped EVERYTHING from the folder [www.evernote.com] (under [accounts]) by copy and paste to another location.

I try the remove and reinstall process as suggested by JMichael, unfortunately, something went wrong and Evernote won't work after re-install 6.0.13 (downloaded through that Direct D/L link).  The program initiated but then quit with error message for multiple times.

During the process, I found another copy of 6.0.13 installation file (DMG) from http://download.cnet.com/Evernote/3000-18509_4-198973.html.

After re-install 6.0.16 (downloaded from Evernote.com directly), and make sure the program work, I simply deleted it with AppDelete (I think simply delete the Evernote.app from Application folder may work, although I didn't test this way) and re-install 6.0.13 with the file downloaded from CNET (the link above).  Then copy my database back to the same location, the program works like it was before the update now.

Hope this helps and hope Evernote will release the new patch ASAP.

• Level 5*

I try the remove and reinstall process as suggested by JMichael, unfortunately, something went wrong and Evernote won't work after re-install 6.0.13 (downloaded through that Direct D/L link).  The program initiated but then quit with error message for multiple times.

During the process, I found another copy of 6.0.13 installation file (DMG) from http://download.cnet.com/Evernote/3000-18509_4-198973.html.

Thanks for reporting this.

I copied the Ver 6.0.13 D/L link directly from the Evernote thread that announced the update.

But I noticed that it is a .ZIP file, whereas the Download.CNET.com link is a .DMG (which is better).

I would change the link on my thread, but I'm not sure if the CNET link will remain for Ver .13, or will changed with future updates.

Anyone know?

Evernote acknowledged the bug and claim to already have a fix but it seems they are deliberately refusing to release the fix for some time"

"Today we released Evernote for Mac 6.0.16 which fixes the sidebar font issue on Yosemite. This is a very targeted release and only contains the sidebar font fix and a few other bug fixes including one around note contents not appearing in a shared notebook under specific circumstances and a fix for the #1 crashing bug in our App Store release which occurred during the upgrade process. This does NOT include a fix for the note editor issue for Lion customers who are seeing weird selection behavior after deleting words. We already have a fix for this issue but are continuing to test it internally. Since it’s a note editor change, we won’t ship an update until our next big release but we’ll have a beta version ready soon for those that would like to use the latest software. . . .Please report 6.0.16 issues here so it's easier for us to find. I’ve been out on vacation for a couple of weeks which is why you haven’t seen me comment in the forums lately but I’m back."

As other users have suggested, everyone should contact Evernote and let them know this issue makes their app unusable so they need to release the fix ASAP:

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. After login in their Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.

In my opinion, if they will delay release of the fix then they can at least release an installer for the last version that works (Version 6.0.13 (451655 Direct)).

In the meantime I found this "fix" for those who have a back-up in Time Machine or elsewhere.  Delete the current version of the Evernote application using AppCleaner and restore the last functioning version of the app from a back-up in June.  When you launch the replaced Evernote app it will repopulate preference files and your notes (at least it did with me).  I forgot to check whether it is repopulating notes from the web or from local data files.  You will need to manually reset your preferences.  Of course, back-up your notes just in case.  Probably not as good as a clean install with  6.0.13 but we need Evernote to provide the 6.0.13 installer for that.

So on 13 July 2015 - 03:32 PM  Software Marcus from Evernote announces in the forum that they "already have a fix for this [selection/editing] issue but are continuing to test it internally" (https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/86520-evernote-for-mac-6016-released/#entry368847). Today  Dave Z. from Evernote Support responded to my official Bug Report as follows:

I have gathered enough details to determine that this appears to be an issue. I am going to pass this along to my product team to further investigate. In the meantime, I will need to wait for the quality assurance lead to finish testing and then assign it a priority. Based on their priority they will implement a fix. Due to the nature and way software changes and processes are implemented it may take sometime to implement a fix. ….. Finally, it is advised to download our latest updates when they become available, so you don't miss out on any of our latest features and issue fixes.

So….. on July 13 they announce they have a fix, then 7 days later they announce they have determined there actually is an issue?  Isn't this backwards? Don't you identify the issue first, then announce the fix later? Suggests to me that Evernote is either confused or that one of these statements was incorrect.  I also got a kick out of Evernote's advice "to download our latest updates when they become available."  Probably a cookie-cutter statement their PR people tell them to add at the end of every email to their users, but kind of tone deaf in this case.  After all, the only reason we have this problem is because we actually followed this advice - we rushed to download their latest broken update as soon as it became available.  The better advice would read something like: "Our beta testing is limited.  For example, we do not test for basic functionality on older operating systems.  If you have a stable version of Evernote that is working for you, please avoid downloading the latest version until our users in the wild complete the beta testing process for us and confirm there are no critical errors."

• Level 5*
@Query101:

I think it's likely that two different areas/department of Evernote are not totally in sync.  It happens.

From my perspective @SoftwareMarcus acknowledge the bug, and said they have a fix in testing.  I believe him.

I also applaud him for conducting more thorough tests before releasing the fix.

I know this is a painful and important issue for you.  But for now, you have a fix -- downgrade to Ver 6.0.13.

At least your issue is acknowledged and EN is working on it.

There are so many other bugs that we have not had any response to. . .

So maybe a little patience would be useful about now.   :)

Thanks J Michael - My goal was to share the latest, albeit confusing information that Evernote sent me.  I  assume this type of sharing is what this forum is for. I have no control over the fact that Evernote's messages are confusing, inconsistent, and perhaps contradictory. I also have no basis to suggest to the community which of their responses reflect the true internal workings at Evernote.  Perhaps you have some insider information.  If so, its good to know that you believe @SoftwareMarcus is correct and that DaveZ's response is not "totally in sync" with the internal developments at Evernote.  If so, my comment and your response further informed users of this forum (at least in some small way). Isn't that why we are all here?  Not sure why patience has become the subject of this thread, or why Evernote's failure to respond to other bugs is reason not to share their latest/confusing response to this bug?

• Level 5*
@Query101:

For the record, I do NOT have any inside information from or about Evernote.  My opinion simply comes from having had many exchanges with @SoftwareMarcus in these forums, and have read many, if not all, of his posts.  He just seems to be a honest, straight-up guy giving us his best information.

Patience is not the "subject of this thread".  I just noticed that you had made many posts complaining about the same issue, and it seemed like you were understandably a bit frustrated.  Please feel free to post whatever you'd like.

Thanks to everyone with the pointer to downgrade.   Evernote (I am running 6.0.16) is unusable in this condition and I was ready to just "move-on" from Evernote.  Glad I reviewed this thread.  Now the waiting until the fix....   :-)

FYI - Evernote officially responded once again to my bug report re the "text selection" issue:

"Your request (ID removed) has been solved. If your issue has not be solved, please reply back to this email so we can further assist you.

We'd love to hear what you think of our customer service. Please click below to start a brief survey."

Obviously the issue has not been resolved.  This is the second official response I received from Evernote that contradicts what @SoftwareMarcus from Evernote has reported on his forum.  Again, I have no way of knowing what is going on behind the scenes at Evernote, but as of now its 2-1 against @SoftwareMarcus, with the latest official Evernote response suggesting that they have checked the box and moved on….even though the issue remains.

Hi guys,

I'm not sure how long Evernote would take to fix this bug. Meanwhile I'm using the web version of Evernote and that doesn't seem to have this problem of selecting text automatically while editing. Hope this help!

Archived