Hi there, I am very new to the forum and Evernote. I have got it to organise my many sewing documents. It was well recommended. My problem is I am a total non starter as for as techno things go. Couple of questions first if I may. Is there a idiot proof step by step manual available to help me and in the meantime a little help would be appreciated with my first hurdle. I have figured out how to copy a webpage into my 'first notebook' but I cannot figure out how to move it to the headed notebook I have already created. Thanking everyone for ever little bit of advice you can give.

• Level 5

1st bit of advice - the answer to your question depends on the operating system you are using - Windows, Apple, Web, Android, etc.

Book for new users - "Evernote for Dummies"

But printed material goes out of date quickly. The best place for answers is this forum. 

• Level 5

I will have a look at the book. I have it at the moment on both my laptop windows 8 and my iPad. I think I will delete it from my iPad because I don't really want to get too complicated.

Best suggestion is to roll up your sleeves and jump in. Becomes a quick learning experience.

I started using Evernote 7 years ago with Windows desktop and smart phone

I eventually removed it from my phone.

Currently have 30,000+ notes on my desktop

Here are some suggestions frequently posted in this forum:

* Start title with data code (YYMMDD)

* Use a consistent title structure for majority of your notes.

Example: Date-Location-Subject-Person

* Work with a few broad subject notebooks

Example: Work, Home, Bills, Leisure, Misc

* Use specific and detailed tags, but try to keep them short

* Try to use one word tags.

Example: HP (not Hewlett Packard)

* If tag requires multiple words are needed, join with an underscore (to avoid the quotation marks)

Example: Home_Depot

* Use lower case letters for all your tags (for consistency)

* Learn to use the search terms. One of the most powerful is intitle: 

Example: intitle:"Washington DC"

* When stumped, search this forum for solution.

I will have a look at the book. I have it at the moment on both my laptop windows 8 and my iPad. I think I will delete it from my iPad because I don't really want to get too complicated.

Best suggestion is to roll up your sleeves and jump in. Becomes a quick learning experience.

I started using Evernote 7 years ago with Windows desktop and smart phone

I eventually removed it from my phone.

Currently have 30,000+ notes on my desktop

Here are some suggestions frequently posted in this forum:

* Start title with data code (YYMMDD)

* Use a consistent title structure for majority of your notes.

Example: Date-Location-Subject-Person

* Work with a few broad subject notebooks

Example: Work, Home, Bills, Leisure, Misc

* Use specific and detailed tags, but try to keep them short

* Try to use one word tags.

Example: HP (not Hewlett Packard)

* If tag requires multiple words are needed, join with an underscore (to avoid the quotation marks)

Example: Home_Depot

* Use lower case letters for all your tags (for consistency)

* Learn to use the search terms. One of the most powerful is intitle: 

Example: intitle:"Washington DC"

* When stumped, search this forum for solution.

Bloody 'ell all I want to do is catalogue my sewing patterns. Maybe this is too complex for that and me

Bloody 'ell all I want to do is catalogue my sewing patterns. Maybe this is too complex for that and me

You can use Evernote.

Create three or more notebooks

For example:

Patterns.Like = Patterns you like or often use

Patterns.dislike = Patterns you dislike of anything else

Patterns.want = Patterns you want to buy or find

Every new pattern is a new note.

Name so you can found them easy. Many method.

I prefer YYYY-MM-dd so the can be sort by name easy

Tags for example

YYYY-MM-DD ex 2015-07 makes it easy to to sort and to find

Fabric

- Cutton

- Bamboo

- Etc

Size

-Small

-Baby

-Etc

Dislike

Author of the pattern

-name?

• Level 5*

Hi there, I am very new to the forum and Evernote. I have got it to organise my many sewing documents. It was well recommended. My problem is I am a total non starter as for as techno things go. Couple of questions first if I may. Is there a idiot proof step by step manual available to help me and in the meantime a little help would be appreciated with my first hurdle. I have figured out how to copy a webpage into my 'first notebook' but I cannot figure out how to move it to the headed notebook I have already created. Thanking everyone for ever little bit of advice you can give.

Here are some references that should help:

Note that some of these, and other articles/videos you may find, show images and text that may refer to older versions of Evernote.  In particular, both EN Win and EN Mac have seen some major UI changes over the last year or so.  But most of the functionality, especially the basics, remain the same.

Simples, you got some good advice above from the other people who responded to your post. However, the advice presumes that you will find that at least some of Evernote's functions will be helpful.

Based on your last post here ("bloody 'ell"), my gut says Evernote will be hitting a nail with a sledge hammer for you.

I don't know how many sewing patterns you may have, but I'd suggest you create a new document in your favorite word processing program and put your information there. Skip to a new page for each sewing pattern.

If it is clear to you that that won't cut it for you, then I suggest you write another post in this forum that explains what you mean by "catalogue" and how you want to "organize" your sewing patterns. If you do, I am sure you will get 3-4 really good responses that are more focused on what your needs are and how Evernote can/cannot help. 

• Level 5*

. . .

JB is giving you some great suggestions, but are maybe a bit advanced at this stage.

After you have created a few Notes, the benefit of his suggestions will become clearer.

Before you go any further, it would be best to review the getting started links in my above post.

In particular, take a look at Getting Started with Evernote

You can keep it quite simple at the beginning:

1. Start slow, create just a few Notes, one Note for each of your patterns
  2. The below system will setup your Notes for easy, fast search
    1. Search on "tag:MY.Pattern" to find all of your patterns
    2. Add Search terms like "tag:Women" to find your patterns for women

A simple system for you:

1. Think about how you want to categorize your patterns
    1. For example:
      1. Product type:  Dress, shirt, pillow, etc
      2. Style:  Formal, Casual
      3. S e x:  Men, Women, Boys, Girls, Unisex
      4. etc
    2. These will become your EN Tags
    3. You can either create these tags before any Notes, by going to the View > Tags view, OR create the Tag as you assign it to a Note for the first time.
  2. Create a Tag named "MY.Pattern" for Notes that contain your patterns (as opposed to notes about patterns in general)
  3. Create a NB named "Patterns" (or whatever you'd like).  You will need to do this before creating any Notes for that NB.  
  4. Create one Note for each Pattern
    1. Enter a descriptive Note Title, using keywords that will help you find the Note later.
    2. Assign to the "Patterns" NB
    3. Assign the appropriate Tags, including the "MY.Pattern" tag.
    4. In the Note contents, put whatever you'd like:
      1. Descriptive text
      2. Images
      3. Hyperlinks to source/references
      4. Attachments (PDF, MS Word, Excel, etc) that provide more details, examples
  5. You can also create Tags for use in Notes that are NOT one of your patterns, but are about patterns in general:
    1. Idea -- idea for a pattern
    2. FU.Read -- Follow-up to read a web clipping
    3. FU.Action -- Follow-up to take action on a web clipping or other info
    4. Fav -- for your favorite patterns
    5. etc

There are techniques you can use with Tags to make them easier to use, but for now you can name you tags in a way that makes sense to you.  You can always rename the Tags later if needed.  My only suggestion is to keep Tag names simple, short, and don't use spaces in the name.

How to Use Your System

There are many different ways you can search/find the Notes you want.

Here is one way to get you started after you have entered a few Notes into Evernote:

1. Filter the Note list by your "Patterns" Notebook
    1. Several different ways to do this
    2. But the one I like best is "Jump to Notebook"
      1. Click on the "All Notes" (or NB Name) at the top of the Note list, and select "Patterns"

OR

2. Use the shortcut key (my fav)
        1. EN Win:   Shift + Alt + N
        2. EN Mac:  CMD + J
    3. You should now see a list of Notes ONLY of your patterns
  2. To add Tag filters (like "Women")
    1. Again, several different ways, but I like "Jump to Tags"
    2. Use Shortcut key
      1. EN Win:   Shift + Alt + T
      2. EN Mac:  CMD + SHIFT + J
  3. You will now see a list of Notes ONLY for your patterns for women.

Of course there are other filters and searches you can use.  But this should get you started.

As you get lots of Notes, you can use the "intitle:<keyword>" in the Search box to further narrow the resultant Note list.

If all this still feels too complicated, or overwhelming, don't worry.  Just dive in the Evernote pool, take it slow and easy, create a few Notes just for testing, and then one or two real Notes for your patterns.

Review the above process, and try it, one step at a time.  it make take some "trial and error" to find the best setup for you.  But with just a few Notes, it is easy to change/add Notebooks and tags, and move the Notes around.

If things still don't make sense, or you have more questions, please feel free to post here.

• Level 5*

1. In the note header area above the note there is a drop down for the folders, click on that and move the note where you want.
  2. Load you patterns into that notebook and title them as you see fit.
  3. Keep EN on your iPad, it will make for a quick and easy way to view patterns.
  4. Use the search function to look for patterns (assumes something in the note title or body will be found)
  5. Add tags, if you like after you've been at it a while.

Just start simple.  Your call as to whether it is worth the effort.  FWIW, I helped my wife put her recipes into her EN account, 1000 or so, and she isn't too fond of tech either.  :)   If you decide to continue, feel free to come back to the forum for questions.  Good luck.

Hi simples!

When I stumbled accross this fine article here: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/02/12/one-app-to-rule-them-all-30-ways-to-use-evernote-to-improve-your-life/

I was so convinced, that I had to install EN immediately. After using EN a while, I couldn't understand all the hype about EN, because of the fact, that I only used the basic functions of it.

All this changed immediately, when I started to read some articles (yes here in this very fine forum :) ) about EN and GTD (Getting Things Done). Since that time, I began to understand the full potential behind EN.

There are many interesting articles about EN on the web and here of course. Try using the webclipper, which is another fine tool.

I'm sure EN wil grow on you - good luck!!!

Archived