Combined or Subset Checklist

I have several checklists for shoppiong at different stores, Walmart, Costco, etc. I want to go on a shopping event with a few items from each list on the take along shopping list.

Is there a way to create a subset or combined shopping list from several other lists by checking the check box. For example, I need these 4 items of the 20 items I buy from Walmart and these 6 items of the 30 items I buy from Costco and this one item I buy from 15 items I buy at OfficeMax having them combine in a separate note or list as the "Shopping LIst" for the day.

I always miss items becuase I'm taking the full list with me requirring me to look through even item on even list when I hit the store.

You can but you have to modify how you enter and list items.

You need few tags, one per shop like :

Shop_Walmart, Shop_Cosco, Shop_whatever,...

Each item has his note, with the tag of the shop. Put a checkbox in the note. (you can eventually use the note to track price evolution)

When you want a complete list of item from a shop search for : tag:Shop_theShopName

If you only want the unchecked items : tag:Shop_theShopName todo:false (or true if you want checked items)

If you want list of items from all shops : tag:Shop_*

Add todo:false (or true) to the search for unchecked (or checked items)

You can save searches, it's convenient - you don't have to type them each time and you can put them in shortcuts. You can also display them with Evernote Android widget.

The only negative point is that you have to enter a note to edit checkbox status.

• Level 5*

Is there a way to create a subset or combined shopping list from several other lists by checking the check box. For example, I need these 4 items of the 20 items I buy from Walmart and these 6 items of the 30 items I buy from Costco and this one item I buy from 15 items I buy at OfficeMax having them combine in a separate note or list as the "Shopping LIst" for the day.

I think there a number of other ToDo apps available that would do a much better job than Evernote.

Some of these even integrate with Evernote.

A Google search should reveal many of these.

I doubt that you will find a satisfactory solution just using Evernote.

Consider getting an app named HanDBase. It is not free, but I suspect you will love it for your shopping needs. With HanDBase, you will create 1 list, but you will be able to filter it to show only the items you need to buy at a particular store and sort them on any field you want.

I use it for my shopping lists. - - - For some of the big stores, I even add the section and aisle number to the list when I find the item I want. Then, when I enter the store next time, I sort my list by section and aisle. Not only does that help me find the item again, it keeps me from running back and forth in the store multiple times. - - - When I find an item I need, I check it off in HanDBase and it drops off the list (not out of the database). When my list is empty, I head for a cashier.

Like Evernote, HanDBase runs on all sorts of different computers, tablets, and smartphones. 

If you have a mobile device, never print.

• Level 5*

Consider getting an app named HanDBase. It is not free, but I suspect you will love it for your shopping needs. With HanDBase, you will create 1 list, but you will be able to filter it to show only the items you need to buy at a particular store and sort them on any field you want.

Thanks for sharing.  This is exactly the type of ToDo app I was talking about.

Evernote is a great app.  But sometimes an app dedicated to the functions/features you need is a better choice.

————————————————

EDIT:  Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 9:50 PM  CDT

I spoke/wrote too soon.

HanDBase is much, much more than a ToDo app.  It looks like a very cool mobile database app.  I have not used it, but I plan to try it.

@DBG:  You may find HanDBase a good fit, or you may want to explore other ToDo apps.

From HanDBase web site:

HanDBase is a light and fast relational database manager for iPhone and iPod touch and other handheld computing devices, PDAs, Smartphone and desktops:

Easy to use for new users, sophisticated for experienced users.

• Create your own databases
  • (or) Choose a database from our vast Gallery
  • Enter Data
  • Searching
  • Sorting
  • Reports
  • Filtering
  • and many more features.

It's a matter of preference. One can set up a really effective solution in Evernote following what @SebR outlined... And when you're adding items directly into the reminder list, one forgets that you're actually setting up a note for each item. Tags in tandem with the reminder list is not a bad way to go at all. One might do well setting up notebook categories as well, since it seems that the reminder list was designed to be most *visually* effective with (at least a few) notebook categories. Tags will then lend you the cross-integration you need.

As far as printing goes... Why not try working directly with your list on mobile device when you're out and about? If not, it does seem that a handy pen and paper would have done the trick from the get go.

Personally, I would go with WorkFlowy. The king of list apps (at it's most basic). One can create your tags on the spot in any list or nested sublist and filter for those items account-wide. Every bullet point that you create in WorkFlowy, whether a shopping list item or a paragraph can be treated as a unique element. Therein lies its search/ filtering capabilities. There is no simpler list- making app out there. Neither is there a more powerful one. You can also print any list you've filtered for... Whatever you see on your screen... But once again, with WorkFlowy, you're basically looking at your notepad.

Although this post I made describes a simple process I used in WorkFlowy for moving to another apartment, it should give you a basic idea of how WorkFlowy can be used for grocery lists and the like: http://www.productivitymashup.com/blog/2015/3/6/workflowy-moving-organizing-decluttering

I have no familiarity with Workflowy, so I searched the web and found a site in which people compared Workflowy and Evernote and a couple others that had some demo videos. Avoiding details, it appears to me that Workflowy is similar to Evernote in that it is largely designed free-flowing, unstructured information. (If I have over-simplified Workflowy, please forgive me.)

I make this point in order to contrast both Evernote and Workflowy to HanDBase, which I was the first to mention. HanDBase handles (actually, requires) well-structured information. If you are familiar with the terms Database, Tables (Records), and fields, then you've got a very good idea what HanDBase is good at. It has probably been more than a year since I did a search in the App Store, but I've never found another App that does what HanDBase does as well for roughly the same price.

In addition to shopping lists, here are some other Tables that I have created and maintain in HanDBase:

• Book List
  • Car Maintenance Log
  • Events
  • Movies
  • Subscriptions
  • Trip Packing List
  • etc.

I love Evernote, use it everyday, and I could put that information in it. However, HanDBase's filtering on specific fields and sorting works much better.

JMichael, if you have a need that HanDBase can address, I think you will like and use it.

Archived