storage of attachments

I would like to understand where attachments are stored in Evernote. When I insert pdfs, photos or documents into Evernote, are copies of those files actually entered into Evernote such that I can discard the originals elsewhere on my computer? Will I later be able to copy those files out of Evernote if I need them to other applications? Or to send them to someone? I can't find any date file for Evernote on my computer so does all info just accumulate in my copy of the app?

• Level 5*

In Windows desktop, the attachment becomes a part of your EN data base.  You can copy/drag the attachments from EN to whatever.  Assuming you back up your EN data, you can delete the original of the attachment.  If Windows desktop, your data base is stored in a file with an EXB extension.  If you go Tools - Options - General you will see the location of that file. 

FWIW, once I have the PDF in EN I delete the original.

• Level 5*

I would like to understand where attachments are stored in Evernote.

In general, you can consider your attachments to be logically part of the Evernote database on your computer (PC or Mac).

EN Win and EN Mac store them in a different manner, but neither is designed for the end user to access the attachments directly (outside of Evernote app)

You should definitelly do personal backups of your Evernote data, which include attachments.

For more info see:  Evernote Backup and Restore Options

In answer to your other questions:

When I insert pdfs, photos or documents into Evernote, are copies of those files actually entered into Evernote such that I can discard the originals elsewhere on my computer?

• Yes, and that is the recommended practice by many.
  • If you have more than one copy, then it obviously takes 2X or more storage, and you have to worry about which is the latest version.
  • Having said that, in addition to having regular Evernote backups, I also archive all of my important documents (that don't change) elsewhere, like in DropBox.
  • But I would always treat the attachment in Evernote as my primary.

Will I later be able to copy those files out of Evernote if I need them to other applications? Or to send them to someone?

• Yes.
  • You can select one or more Notes, right-click, and choose "Save attachments..." to your local drive
  • You can also right-click on one attachment in a Note and do the same.
  • You can send the attachment by email by:
    • ​Save to your local drive, and the attach to an email
    • Drag the attachment icon to your email, or (in the case of EN Mac) drag to the Mail or Outlook icon in the Mac dock.

I would like to understand where attachments are stored in Evernote.

In general, you can consider your attachments to be logically part of the Evernote database on your computer (PC or Mac).

EN Win and EN Mac store them in a different manner, but neither is designed for the end user to access the attachments directly (outside of Evernote app)

You should definitelly do personal backups of your Evernote data, which include attachments.

For more info see:  Evernote Backup and Restore Options

In answer to your other questions:

When I insert pdfs, photos or documents into Evernote, are copies of those files actually entered into Evernote such that I can discard the originals elsewhere on my computer?

• Yes, and that is the recommended practice by many.
  • If you have more than one copy, then it obviously takes 2X or more storage, and you have to worry about which is the latest version.
  • Having said that, in addition to having regular Evernote backups, I also archive all of my important documents (that don't change) elsewhere, like in DropBox.
  • But I would always treat the attachment in Evernote as my primary.

Will I later be able to copy those files out of Evernote if I need them to other applications? Or to send them to someone?

• Yes.
  • You can select one or more Notes, right-click, and choose "Save attachments..." to your local drive
  • You can also right-click on one attachment in a Note and do the same.
  • You can send the attachment by email by:
    • ​Save to your local drive, and the attach to an email
    • Drag the attachment icon to your email, or (in the case of EN Mac) drag to the Mail or Outlook icon in the Mac dock.

Thanks for the info. This helps.

By looking in the Evernote folder I found one called "old" that has a half dozen Evernote folders from more than a year ago accounting for over a gigabyte of memory. Do I need them anymore? They are from previous versions of Evernote, vers. 5 to be specific. I am using 6.0.6.

• Level 5*

By looking in the Evernote folder I found one called "old" that has a half dozen Evernote folders from more than a year ago accounting for over a gigabyte of memory. Do I need them anymore? They are from previous versions of Evernote, vers. 5 to be specific. I am using 6.0.6.

I would think you could delete the "old" folders, but, to be safe, I would first zip them and archive (for a while) outside of the Evernote folder.

Archived