Web Client Beta Release 7/8/2015 - Customizing the Note List

nanphan

Idea

Hello!

We've heard folks loud and clear about not being able to see as many notes in the note list as the previous version, so as a part of last night's release we added some more small improvements to the product to address this. Thank you for your patience as we continue to make changes. Please keep the feedback coming and let us know if there are any bugs or problems you find. 

• Customize Note List View - Choose your sort order in addition to the type of information you want to see in the Note List preview from the now updated options menu. The options range from setting the UI to just show the title of the note, the image preview, the description of the note, or any combination of the 3. To take advantage of this option:
    • At the top of the note list in either All Notes View or while in a Notebook, select "Options".
    • In the "View Options" selection select what content you want to see.
    • Known Bug
      • ​Sometimes notelist doesn't show full note list - After creating a new note, parts of your note list may not render. Your notes have note been lost. Once you scroll the notes will start showing again. We apologize for this issue which was found late.  It will be fixed in next week's release. 
  • Bug Fixes
    • Sometimes unable to save a shared note - We've found some cases where if you are working on a shared note (even if no one else is editing it at the same time) and lose internet connection and regain it, the note may have trouble saving. We've since fixed this issue.
      • Please continue to let us know other scenarios where save is not working as expected. 
  • Known missing features that will come later
    • Nested Tags
    • Note Links
    • Easier access to the source URL
    • Save a search

Thanks, 

Nancy 

15 replies to this idea

I was using it just now and realized something seemed different.  Looks a lot better.  I immediately removed images from the view and the information density is much better.  There's still some places where it can be tweaked, but it continues to get better with each update.

Keep it up!

I see that in the "Known missing features that will come later" section of your post there's nothing about allowing notebooks to show along with the notes themselves, as is the case with the current web version. I'll take that to mean it's not going to be added.

I see that in the "Known missing features that will come later" section of your post there's nothing about allowing notebooks to show along with the notes themselves, as is the case with the current web version. I'll take that to mean it's not going to be added.

Hi smeli, 

We continue to evaluate the product and cannot make any comments to our future plans until they are finalized. But thank you for the feedback. 

Nancy 

I was using it just now and realized something seemed different.  Looks a lot better.  I immediately removed images from the view and the information density is much better.  There's still some places where it can be tweaked, but it continues to get better with each update.

Keep it up!

Yes, you are correct. We have also reduce the default size of the note list preview when titles, images, and descriptions are shown. Good eye. 

Nancy 

Hi there,

The new webclient is rapidly becoming more useful! Thanx,

A few questions

• It's not possible yet multi-select notes and change notebooks/tags etc?
  • Will it be possible to encrypt notes in the new webclient? it's the only missing feature that I must use the (windows) client for.
  • when I load a note with encryption it first show a short time the encryption textstring before hiding this behind the icon.

Using on : FF39.0 / Win7

Hello!

We've heard folks loud and clear about not being able to see as many notes in the note list as the previous version, so as a part of last night's release we added some more small improvements to the product to address this. Thank you for your patience as we continue to make changes. Please keep the feedback coming and let us know if there are any bugs or problems you find. 

• Customize Note List View - Choose your sort order in addition to the type of information you want to see in the Note List preview from the now updated options menu. The options range from setting the UI to just show the title of the note, the image preview, the description of the note, or any combination of the 3. To take advantage of this option:
    • At the top of the note list in either All Notes View or while in a Notebook, select "Options".
    • In the "View Options" selection select what content you want to see.
    • Known Bug
      • ​Sometimes notelist doesn't show full note list - After creating a new note, parts of your note list may not render. Your notes have note been lost. Once you scroll the notes will start showing again. We apologize for this issue which was found late.  It will be fixed in next week's release. 
  • Bug Fixes
    • Sometimes unable to save a shared note - We've found some cases where if you are working on a shared note (even if no one else is editing it at the same time) and lose internet connection and regain it, the note may have trouble saving. We've since fixed this issue.
      • Please continue to let us know other scenarios where save is not working as expected. 
  • Known missing features that will come later
    • Nested Tags
    • Note Links
    • Easier access to the source URL
    • Save a search

Thanks, 

Nancy 

Ah ! This is a nice update, enough for me to make the switch from the old version to the new beta !

Thanks for listening to your customers !

Hi there,

The new webclient is rapidly becoming more useful! Thanx,

A few questions

• It's not possible yet multi-select notes and change notebooks/tags etc?
  • Will it be possible to encrypt notes in the new webclient? it's the only missing feature that I must use the (windows) client for.
  • when I load a note with encryption it first show a short time the encryption textstring before hiding this behind the icon.

Using on : FF39.0 / Win7

Hi Linuxpete, 

• No, it is not possible yet to select multiple notes and take action on it.  We understand this is a pain point right now so apologies for the inconvenience.  For now you'll have to do this manually per note. 
  • At this time we have no plans to encrypt notes in the web, but I will pass along the feedback to our team. As you know, this is not a feature that exists in our current client. It does, however, concern me that it loads for a second and then get's hidden.  Can I ask whether or not you've had that particular text in the note decrypted before? We'll look into this feature again and make sure there aren't any bugs. 

Nancy 

Hi all, 

Some more points 

• In the old webclient there was a button to expand notes to another browser window. Now I have copy and paste a link in another window.
  • To format your note there is this "move over button" with the bullets, top right. If I move my mouse over the "bullets" the list expands. My first reaction is to click on this button so the bullets are being used first. Perhaps it's not directly a "bug" but it sure needs to get being used to.

Regards Pieter

Just a thought on the "Easier Access to URL Idea". There seems to be a bit of real estate available at the top for a URL button and text box as I have highlighted in RED on the following image. A URL button (also in RED) in the note list would be useful too. Obviously the URL button opens the link in a new window.

The text box is there as an option for easy editing of the URL address. Maybe the only appears when you press the URL button and over writes the title when the content is scrolled down ( I had not noticed the title uses this space when you scroll content when I made the mockup). Maybe this is not workable but its pretty easy to do in the Info window.

I would also sugges there is an opportunity to show more tags in this header area rather then making them scroll with the content.

Also. You NEED to add the tag editing back into the info window.

I know some people want the option for the Notebook list to be back .... maybe you can make an option to pin down the slide out windows for tags, notes and notebooks.

Just as general comment. I do like the speed of the new interface.

PS: It would be nice to do something smarter with picking thumb nails from posts or allowing a user to pick from the available images (or allow the user to choose none at all) and something smart (with AJAX?) to update the page when you make a new post from another source (eg a web clip or the Evernote stand alone app or mobile app or different browser) rather then having to reload the page.

Link to image

Evernote_URL_Idea_Small-yrWOihgN.1436663

Thanks and keep up the good work :>

I like how much faster this new interface is.

I still need to be able to do note to note links on the web client as I do not have windows or mac.

We'll be adding private note links aka "Copy note link" shortly. You can however share a public note link by clicking the "Share" dropdown in a note and selecting "Link".  Thanks for the patience. 

Nancy 

• Level 5

I like how much faster this new interface is.

I still need to be able to do note to note links on the web client as I do not have windows or mac.

Until this feature is introduced you could use the following workaround (I am using it for a long time on the old Web client):

How to create a note-link in the Web client

A note link has the following basic format:

Private Link:

evernote:///view/<account id>/<shard-number>/<Note Id>/<Note Id>/ (the last "/" is important here!)

External Link:

The <account id> and <shard-number> are always the same for your account. Just look at an existing note link of one of your notes to find out.

The <Note Id> of course is different for each and every note. When you select a note in the Web client you see the id in the URL of your note behind "n=" until the next ampersand (&). If you now put everything together you end up with a valid note link that you can put in a note. The Web client allows to create a link using the chain-like icon.

In order to make it easier I put the first part that is always identical in a seperate note in my favourites. Then I copy & paste the identical part from there and the note id from the browsers address line into a temporary text in my note, copy the complete address from there, create the link with some more meaningful text and remove the temporary address.

Have fun!

In the list view of notes it would be nice to see the associated tags instead of the date. From a GTD platform perspective this is much more useful.

Also, the ability to have the notes list across the top and the contents appear below would be nice too - like the older interface but with the new style.

Archived