Emailing to your account is no longer free?

That's correct--we've moved this feature into the Plus tier: https://evernote.com/pricing/

There's been a bit of confusion around clipping emails into Evernote and services like IFTTT. Those are all still available to any account level. It's only the email gateway (your Evernote email address, not your log in one) that has moved into a paid (the Plus) tier. 

With the introduction of the Plus tier, 1GB of upload, passcode lock and offline notebooks are now available at a more accessible tier for users who aren't quite ready to jump to Premium. 

Aside from whether its reasonable or not to offer Evernote emailing as a free or paid service, to initially offer this for free but then take it away leaves a bad taste in the mouth and calls into question the values and judgement of the Evernote team.

On principle alone I don't think its right, regardless of whether $25 per year for a Plus subscription is too much or too little.

I think the principle should be brand loyalty. Moving email to a paid service after building up a user base on a foundation of offering this functionality for free feels coercive.

I'm all for a free market and am not arguing whether Evernote should be allowed to charge for email or not. But just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

• Level 5*

I think the principle should be brand loyalty.

Brand loyalty works both ways.  IMO, it means you are willing to pay a fair price for a service you find useful.

It's easy to be "loyal" when things are free.  True loyalty is revealed with things get tough, when there is a price to be paid (financial or otherwise) to continue to support the person, company, country you claim to be loyal to.

"IMO, it means you are willing to pay a fair price for a service you find useful."

I don't disagree with you. But for me, the key detail is that this started out as a free service and with that, I think there is an implicit understanding between Evernote and its users. If I were Evernote, I would feel honor bound to safeguard that understanding, even if things are "tough" financially. By all means, they are within their rights to do this, just as Google could decide to start charging for Gmail but I doubt that would be a wise decision either ethically or financially (in the long run at least).

Instead of taking things away, Evernote should focus on how to offer new features that people would be happy to pay for. 

• Level 5*

End of the day, people are aggravated because something they were given and used to having was taken away.  I could see where if someone had invested the time to create a process wherein email was integral to its success, they could get a bit miffed if email was taken away.  They then have the choice to pay or go elsewhere whether they view EN as an unethical company or not.  EN's desired conversion rate from freemium to some level of premium did not happen. 

Brand loyalty might rear its head at this point with a paid subscription, a transfusion to keep the company going.  On the assumption the company has changed its pricing model since it is not as successful as it needs to be and has to get paid for the things that represent variable costs of sorts.  Trying to avoid more draconian measures I suppose.  IMO.

• Level 5*

I could see where if someone had invested the time to create a process wherein email was integral to its success, they could get a bit miffed if email was taken away.  They then have the choice to pay or go elsewhere whether they view EN as an unethical company or not.

If one has used a free service to develop a workflow that is useful and valuable to them, and then one day the provider of that service says that they are no longer able to provide that service for free, then that person can:

1. Be thankful that the service has been free for so long, long enough for them to determine whether or not it is of value
  2. Be thankful that the new price is very reasonable

OR

3. Be resentful that now the provider is asking to be paid for a valuable service

If nobody pays for the service, then at some point the provider will go out of business, and no one will have the service.

Why should the people who value and pay for the service subsidize those that value it, but aren't willing to pay for it????

• Level 5*
@LifeAthletic:

I do use Gmail, and it is valuable to me.  If Google wanted to start charging a reasonable price and get rid of all of the ads, I would have no problem with that.  Before Gmail came along, I always paid for my email provider.  

And in fact, Gmail is not even my primary email provider now.

I use a hosted Exchange Server provider, and have been paying for it for many years.

Another good example is zip, or WinZip.  Zip was free for years as a DOS app, then as a Windows app.

Zip is a format that can now be produced by many apps.  Maybe some are still free -- I don't know.

But at some point the WinZip app was enhanced and started charging a small purchase price, which I was happy to pay.

I am use Mac primarily, and sometime ago I bought WinZip for the Mac, and paid for it!  Happy to do so because it provides features I sometimes need, even though the Mac OS has the basics built-in.

But then I was raised to believe that anything worth having was worth paying for.  ;)

I would be happy to pay a (small) one-off fee for this functionality but I am not going to buy into this ongoing subscription nonsense. Just because Microsoft has tried it on with Office doesn't mean as a User I want it or that other companies should start following suit. We also saw what happened when Microsoft took away our beloved "Start"button in our "best interests". They paid the price and have had to bring out a new operating system just to apologise to users.

If Evernote start charging for any other features that are currently free I will look elsewhere. You don't sucker people in with features then hit them with fees once they are onboard or you will lose them - better to have paid advertising from the beginning in that case. Or bring out "must-have" new features and charge for them. It's not rocket science but it avoids p'ing off your existing user-base and it's harder to get them back than to keep them in the first place.

We are certainly not trying to "sucker people in with features and then hit them with fees." 

I joined Evernote almost 4 years ago.

In these 4 years, we've added many Premium features while keeping the price essentially the same. We've also started off some features as Premium and moved them to Free.

In these 4 years, the email feature is the only feature that has been moved in the other direction, from free to paid. The change was announced almost 3 months before the limit was actually enforced, so that anyone who relied on the feature for free would not be blindsided. In addition, this feature was not moved into the higher-priced Premium tier, but rather into the new and more affordable Plus tier. 

I don't think it is realistic for us to promise that no free feature will ever go away, but we are trying to improve our services to provide better value for customers. Many customers have been asking for a lower priced subscription for a while, which was why we created the Plus tier. The change to the email feature is part of that bundle. 

There's a whole lot of "I would pay for Evernote but..." posts by those protesting the move of this feature from free. Which sounds an awful lot like "I want what I want but don't want to pay a few bucks for it."

As Nancy (Evernote employee) posted above, there have been many increases to the free service as well as features moved from paid to free.

The complainers always seem to have a reason why they think they shouldn't have to pay for something that they use often.

"There's a whole lot of "I would pay for Evernote but..." posts by those protesting the move of this feature from free. Which sounds an awful lot like "I want what I want but don't want to pay a few bucks for it."

As Nancy (Evernote employee) posted above, there have been many increases to the free service as well as features moved from paid to free.

The complainers always seem to have a reason why they think they shouldn't have to pay for something that they use often."

BurgersNFries I am happy for you if you may be one of those lucky enough to afford unlimited subscriptions on all your software unlike some of us who are on very limited incomes. I need to make strict choices on what I can and can't afford. So yes I will complain when something that was previously given away for free suddenly is no longer. It is of course Evernote's entitlement to change their rules but I was pointing out that many companies have upset sections of their user base in these sorts of ways at their peril in the past. Evernote obviously made the business decision in opening their doors to have a free model and to want to carry free users (I would suggest that this is a very large section of their users otherwise they could have limited the number of notes you could have as a free user or similar). I doubt they want to lose all those free users overnight and find them switching over to competing software. Once you lose a potential customer you rarely get them back without it costing you a hell of a lot more than it would have to keep them in the first place. 

As I also said I would be quite happy to pay a modest "one-off" fee for the functionalities I want in Evernote but many of us cannot afford ongoing annual subscriptions for every bit of software we have running on our PC's. This is why I will choose free (with paid advertising or whatever) over subscription based models providing the software does what I want and without hassles. I currently pay subscriptions for my Antivirus (because I believe it is better than the free versions and they only sell it by subscription) and for a password manager (but will be reviewing the free options for password managers at the end of my subscription because at the time I subscribed there was not as much choice as there is now). I can confidently state that I will "never ever" purchase the subscription based Office 365 or pay a subscription for a Windows operating system for that matter if Microsoft ever tries to go down that path.

I have never complained when a company brings out new features on free software and asks users to pay for them as has been the case with Evernote's new premium features. I then have a choice as to whether I do or don't pay for a feature I am not already using. But I do feel annoyed when it is done in the way Evernote has done this. And yes, I will whinge  and complain in forums like these to give companies feedback on the effects their decisions have caused on some of their users. Evernote should be happy that free users give them feedback in their forums (both good and bad) because companies offering free models need to consider ALL their user base when making impacting decisions like this one.

I need to make strict choices on what I can and can't afford.

Most all of us (including me) do. And as I've said before, I understand it's disappointing to users when something free is taken away. But the overriding sense of entitlement that many free users have, that they've somehow been duped or screwed over because this feature is no longer free is not only astounding, but truly sad.

As I also said I would be quite happy to pay a modest "one-off" fee for the functionalities I want in Evernote

That's a bit like me offering someone $10,000 for their brand new Jaguar. Apparently Evernote thinks a one time fee is not enough to sustain ongoing changes to keep up with continually new technology & new devices as well as maintaining the accumulated (and limited only by what one is willing to pay for monthly upload) storage used by their users. Evernote's (the service) business model has *never* been a one time fee for software. It has *always* been a monthly/yearly subscription fee for additional services/features and all the software is free.

I have never complained when a company brings out new features on free software

Of course not.

Just to clarify..... "I have never complained when a company brings out new features on free software and asks users to pay for them" - this was badly worded I admit but I meant it to say "pay for those additional new features without affecting the previous functionality".

We'll see how things pan out. I should also have said I am quite happy using Evernote but in my case it is only of minor use to me to save the odd few bits and pieces of "stuff". Emailing that "stuff" to myself was convenient as I  don't need or use any of the "business" or more advanced features. However I have discovered "Scannable" which can cover for the lack of email option - hopefully that isn't intended to become a "paid" feature in future.

After trying to submit my post, it says "Sorry, an error has occurred.  Your post contains suspected spam."

Huh?  Spam?  How about highlighting what your system finds wrong with my post so that I can edit it and successfully submit it?

Oh no, what ever will Evernote do if all the long term Free(loaders) users go elsewhere?

Oh ya, it will lower operating expenses.

The argument of Gmail is laughable, Google is whoring you out for contextual ads you are making them far more money than the measly couple bucks a month Evernote is getting for a Plus package. Maybe Evernote should start showing banner ads at the bottom of all Free users notes depending what your notes content is.

• Level 5*

I'm certainly no marketing wizard, but if it were up to me, I would sell and market Evernote like this:

1. No unlimited free version
  2. Offer a trial Premium version free for, say 60-90 days, with all features of the paid version, except to limit uploads to something reasonable, say 1 GB/month.  After the trial expires, user can choose any of the other paid versions.
  3. Offer the Plus version as it is today.
  4. Offer the Premium version as it is today, but offer a 20% discount if you sign up for a year within 10 days.
  5. Offer a Premium Lifetime version for the equivalent of 5 years of annual subscription.
  6. Offer the Business version for the same price as Premium for one year, maybe even discount it some.  After the 1st year, reverts to the normal price.  Offer multi-year subscriptions at a nice discount, say 20%.

For all of the existing Free account users, I would give them the option of #2, or terminating the free service in 90 days.

IMO, if anyone is serious about needing/using Evernote, they can easily determine if they want it, and are willing to pay for it, within 60 days, certainly within 90 days.

There's a lot of false dichotomy being thrown around here. Evernote's "free" tier, like all free services was not true charity, but a large part of their business model. If Evernote did not make money off free users, they wouldn't offer the free tier.

The truth is that the free tier (at the very least) is Evernote's GIANT marketing funnel. Why do you think they're valued at over $1B? Because of their HUGE user base, which they are now trying to monetize. Good for them! How sure are you that Evernote has no data / marketing partners they are using to monetize the free tier already? Almost certainly they are. 

However, it's also never good business to take away a free feature and move it to a paid tier. Those who are trying to appeal to morality / sense-of-righteousness and say customers shouldn't be upset over it are a little bit high & mighty (IMHO). 

You have Evernote employees on here trying to speak into the situation and taking EVERY pain to not upset users with this move. Why do you think that is, if the free tier is essentially their form of charity toward us cash-strapped or "too cheap" users? It's because the free tier IS their business. Alienate them and the marketing funnel goes away. To suggest Evernote hasn't made any money off their free users is ludicrous, as is the suggestion those users shouldn't have expectations of the company including support, and a basic expectation that they will be treated fairly.

Bottom line - yes - it's completely within Evernote's rights to take away a free service and make it a paid one. AND yes, free-tier users have a right to be upset by that. However, they should keep it in perspective. There are still many ways to save emails into Evernote, the next tier up is not that expensive and includes other features. Evernote knew they would upset users by doing this, but believe it's worth it to the bottom line. Good for them. Hope it works out.

• Level 5*

I understand why people are upset it moved from free to Plus (at least, I understand the argument even if I don't agree), but I just don't understand paying for something once that has reoccurring expense for the company. If Evernote were just software used on your computer... maybe. But there's server space involved. Syncing between different app types. Constant development. This is all an ongoing cost for Evernote - why shouldn't we pay an ongoing price for it?

And the subscription model is hardly new - in fact, it's becoming the norm. I'm hard-pressed to find software that doesn't use some form of a subscription model. Stuff outside of software, too, has used this for ages. Web hosting? Subscription. Insurance? Subscription. Gym membership? Subscription. Anything you use and keep using, as a service, generally has a subscription fee - even if it doesn't use those exact words.

And even if it's an "outright purchase," oftentimes you have to pay again if, like software, there's a new version or update. There's no way a business can stay in business, continually developing their software and products, without constant income. At least, not without getting something else in return (like ad revenue for your clicks).

I also pay for Gmail (via Google Apps). I'm in the middle of consolidating some apps I use, because as others have said, you're not the only one having to make financial choices when it comes to subscriptions. I'd pay twice what I do for Evernote, it benefits my life so much. 

Evernote team: please change the wording of your notice. It is confusing and not correct. Also I lost information due to your not forwarding back the content of the email. Best thing would be to send a notice after each used email to say you have used e.g. 3 of 5 free emails.

If you want people to upgrade based on this feature, best to have a smoother transition rather than annoyed customers like myself.

Thanks

"Emailed note limit reached
We received your emailed note, but are unable to add it to your account because you have reached your daily emailed note limit.

Evernote Basic subscribers can save up to five emails to their Evernote account. To continue using the feature, you must upgrade your Evernote account."

Evernote team: please change the wording of your notice. It is confusing and not correct. Also I lost information due to your not forwarding back the content of the email. Best thing would be to send a notice after each used email to say you have used e.g. 3 of 5 free emails.

If you want people to upgrade based on this feature, best to have a smoother transition rather than annoyed customers like myself.

Thanks

We received your emailed note, but are unable to add it to your account because you have reached your daily emailed note limit.

Evernote Basic subscribers can save up to five emails to their Evernote account. To continue using the feature, you must upgrade your Evernote account."

Thanks for reporting--I'm on it and we'll be making a change. The wording of that automated email is incorrect and it should not be referencing a daily emailed note limit. 

@Shutez, thanks for your post. I really enjoyed reading it. There's just one thing I'd like to clarify.

How sure are you that Evernote has no data / marketing partners they are using to monetize the free tier already? Almost certainly they are. 

People frequently assume that we monetize free users by showing ads or mining your data for marketing partners. We don't. 

Our CEO codified this policy in the Evernote 3 Laws, which you can read here: https://evernote.com/legal/data-protection.php

It's really about integrity and brand trust.  Evernote is a thief in that the company has stolen their users' time.  Users have invested huge amounts of time uploading notes into Evernote, and now the company has decided to change the way the system works.  

I don't trust Evernote anymore, and that's a curse for a brand I cannot invest any more of my time in Evernote by uploading more notes, because I don't know what options they will take away next.  Although I can work around this change (with much inconvenience), the next change might make the system unusable for me.  Evernote has broken the deal they made with me; I cannot count on them anymore.  Evernote is unpredictable in my eyes.

Unfortunately, I now have to spend many hours moving my information into another program/app.  So Evernote has stolen even more of my valuable time.

• Level 5*

Evernote is a thief in that the company has stolen their users' time.  Users have invested huge amounts of time uploading notes into Evernote, and now the company has decided to change the way the system works.  

Unfortunately, I now have to spend many hours moving my information into another program/app.  So Evernote has stolen even more of my valuable time.

Actually, it is just the opposite.  Evernote has SAVED you hours of time by providing you with a FREE service for years that enables you to store and quickly find information and documents that you otherwise would likely either not be able to find, or would take lots of time to search through various electronic locations and physical locations.

If you are a responsible person, and you don't want to be a thief, then you will be willing to pay a reasonable price for a service/product that you value and need.  Since Evernote Plus is only  $3/month, it seems like an extremely reasonable price to pay.

Apparently you don't value your time very much, since you're not willing to $3/month to avoid "spend many hours moving my information into another program/app."

• Level 5*

Evernote is a thief in that the company has stolen their users' time. 

That's like blaming gravity for a sagging gut.

That's what I do.  Gravity and delicious, fattening, Brazilian food.  On yeah, then there's beer.  Did i mention age?  LOL

It's all someone else's fault.   :ph34r:

This is disappointing. I had a premium account but I strongly disagree with adding value to a paid account by removing features from the free version.

Evernote, add value with new and cool features want to pay for, don't try and force a subscription like this.

This company value is enough to make me stop using Evernote. The new Web UI had already started the thought.

You *had* a Premium account... And all the cool goodies you had access to were not enough for you to continue paying... I get that you may not have had need for the Premium features. The thing is that most people use Evernote for its core features, which are all free. Must Evernote offer a complimentary vacation in the Bahamas to get people to upgrade? I mean, what other features would you be willing to pay for?

Next to go... Evernote, you would do well to move OCRed images to a paid tier. This feature should never have been free. Ever. It's too cool to be free.

And don't forget BACON!

Evernote is a thief in that the company has stolen their users' time. 

That's like blaming gravity for a sagging gut.

That's what I do.  Gravity and delicious, fattening, Brazilian food.  On yeah, then there's beer.  Did i mention age?  LOL

It's all someone else's fault.   :ph34r:

Moving existing features to a pay level is kind of  a bait and switch, but in any case the error message does not say feature is now a pay for feature, but instead that I have exceeded my daily limit of five.

I searched      myname@*     , which shows that I had sent only four  for all of June + 21 days of July.   At least fix message from server so people know what is going on.

A method of getting around this would be to send your message to yourself  at  gmail   with address   of    myname#evernote_inbox@gmail.com

then you can copy the messages later to Evernote from a decent computer with a full keyboard and mouse.   You can filter those in Gmail and you  might even end up  manually merging and editing several similar notes together in the process, or simply adding information to an existing Evernote note, if that was what you originally had  in mind.   All I would have to do is change my   "Evernote" alias in various email systems from my evernote email address to a gmail address  with a modifier identified for Evernote.

About a year after posting this in July 2015,  I set up IFTTT (If This Then That) to automatically put those messages into Evernote.   There will be delays before they actually get to Evernote, so don't delete from Gmail until you actually have them in Evernote.   https://ifttt.com/connect/gmail/evernote

I used my assigned email for sending notes to Evernote. I have had Evernote for years, but seldom actually depend its use. I come upon things that stop me, and I move to another service.

Recently I have been trying to use again. For the first time I sent an emailed note using the assigned email they give when the account is opened, but the email bounced back to me saying that I have used the limit today and have to sign up for premium.

REALLY EVERNOTE! :wacko:

PS: I am NOT complaining about premium charges at all, I am unhappy that, after never using the email but this once, Evernote said my limit had been met today, and I would have to wait until tomorrow. If it had only indicated that this was a premium feature.

Also, something I've mentioned a bazillion times before... don't forget that you can use the web clipper in Gmail, which clips your emails to Evernote along with some other frills.

You *had* a Premium account... And all the cool goodies you had access to were not enough for you to continue paying... I get that you may not have had need for the Premium features. The thing is that most people use Evernote for its core features, which are all free. Must Evernote offer a complimentary vacation in the Bahamas to get people to upgrade? I mean, what other features would you be willing to pay for?

Next to go... Evernote, you would do well to move OCRed images to a paid tier. This feature should never have been free. Ever. It's too cool to be free.

You may have taken that post a little too personally. It is a piece of sofware.

I agree that features such as OCR could be behind a paywall - although I first signed up for Evernote (free) for the OCR. I then subscribed for offline access, better historical, and the upload limit.

When I saw features that had been premium go free for all users, I actually cared less than when free features go paid - because I assumed that premium would get better to make up the difference. Add value by adding value

At the end of the day, the market decides anyways.

Thank you. I do not mean to say Evernote is not worth the money. I am not using it enough to move forward with buying it yet. I was however trying a feature that was also on a couple of other services, so I could see how it worked in comparison. I just cannot try out that feature to see if I want to buy it. I do not doubt Evernote is wonderful. Just have not figured it out enough yet.

• Level 5*

If you try Free Evernote for a short while (a few days or week or so), and it seems like it might be something you could really use, you might try it on a "trial" basis by upgrading to Premium for $5 for one month, with no long term commitment.  If you choose to go back to the Free version, all of the Notes and OCR of PDFs that you uploaded while Premium will still be available to you.  This is also a good way to get started if you have a lot stuff to upload, like PDFs and other attachments.  Premium provides UNLIMITED uploads.

So then you can try it for a month, checkout the features available only in the Plus and Premium versions, and determine which is right for you.

See Comparison of EN Account Types and make yourself a checklist to evaluate which features you want.

This right here is why I was annoyed and confused and came to the message board to see what was going on. I actually do not mind paying for the service. I actually had a paid Evernote account before, I just downshifted back to Free because At that time I found I did not need the extra storage space. That said, I didn't get an email notifying me the change was coming AND as MatthewOrlando posted, the notification I did get does not accurately reflect what is happening at all. I don't understand why it is difficult to send an email that just said "This feature is now for paid accounts only".

Not everyone is going to quit Evernote because of this. Emailing links, notes, etc is easily 90% of my Evernotes usage, so now that I know what's going on I'll just go upgrade now.

Thanks

This right here is why I was annoyed and confused and came to the message board to see what was going on. I actually do not mind paying for the service. I actually had a paid Evernote account before, I just downshifted back to Free because At that time I found I did not need the extra storage space. That said, I didn't get an email notifying me the change was coming AND as MatthewOrlando posted, the notification I did get does not accurately reflect what is happening at all. I don't understand why it is difficult to send an email that just said "This feature is now for paid accounts only".

Not everyone is going to quit Evernote because of this. Emailing links, notes, etc is easily 90% of my Evernotes usage, so now that I know what's going on I'll just go upgrade now.

Thanks

^^ The "daily emailed note limit" verbiage should be fixed as of this evening. 

I'm going to reference myself in this thread here--it looks like we missed you, and that was unintended--my apologies: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/86578-email-to-evernote-removed-for-free-users/?p=369519

We've been sending out waves of emails starting a little over a month ago, and delayed the change by over a month to make sure there was time to both communicate to every one who may be affected and for people to adjust their workflows. It looks like we missed you, and that was unintended. My apologies. 

While this was less explicit than the email notification, the information has also been available since we added the Plus tier on April 29th.

• Level 5*

Yep, I totally get your point.  It *is* amazing how often Evernote drops the marketing ball, either through poor design, or technology issues.

A similar thing has happened to some Premium account owners.  The new Premium plan stated "unlimited" monthly upload allowance.  No restrictions of any kind were mentioned.  Yet when some users had a surge of uploads, maybe a lot higher than their daily norm, they received these strangely worded emails from Evernote saying something about an upload issue that made no sense to the user.  Even worse, in a few cases the Premium user was temporarily denied further uploads.

So what's going on here?  After posting in the forum, these users received a cryptic post from Evernote stating "intended use policy", but still not clear why they got the emails or were cut off.

I still haven't seen a really clear message from Evernote on this, but evidently when Evernote released the "unlimited" uploads feature, they installed some type of auto-throttle on their servers which do in fact place some, still unknown to us, limit on the amount of upload in a very short time.

So it turns out "unlimited" really isn't unlimited -- it has some restrictions.  But we still don't know what they are.

All of this is terrible marketing.  I'm pretty sure very few would have had any objections if Evernote would have clearly stated:

• Premium accounts now have unlimited upload allowance as long as it conforms with our Intended use policy
  • If you violate this policy, or our servers detect you may have, your uploads may be temporarily limited.
  • While you have an unlimited monthly upload allowance, we reserve the right to make some limits on a daily basis to prevent overload to our systems and ensure compliance with Intended use policy.

Sure, I'd love unlimited unlimited, but I can certainly live with unlimited as Evernote defines it.  They just need to more clearly communicate it to us.

We have an autoresponder that is supposed to email you a primer on the email feature after you send your first email into Evernote. The email tells you about the advanced features (like how to specify a notebook or tag), and informs you that as a Basic user, you can try out the feature, but you have a limit of sending in 5 emails for free. You're not supposed to get the "Note limit reached" email response until you hit your 6th email into Evernote. It's possible there is a bug in the autoresponder, but I need more information about your account in order to see what happened. Please file a support ticket and DO NOT post your actual username or email into the forum. :)

• Level 5*

We have an autoresponder . . .

informs you that as a Basic user, you can try out the feature, but you have a limit of sending in 5 emails for free.

Limiting a trial to only 5 emails is extremely limiting.  A new user excited about Evernote could easily send 5 emails (or more actually) in their first real use of the product.

IMO, if you want to encourage users to upgrade, you should offer as a trial, at least 50, maybe 100, emails.

This would allow you to:

1. Provide initial notification about the trial to the user well before they reach the limit.
  2. Using 100 as the limit, provide further notices, and encouragement to upgrade, after 25, 50, 75, 90, and 100 emails.

Most emails contains only a very small amount of text, so the impact on Evernote should be minimal.

BTW, I have noticed that Evernote often has problems with their email automation (auto-responder, email broadcast).  Some of these are technical issues, others are unclear, misleading, poorly worded messages.

If you want to minimize frustration, and encourage upgrades, you should really do a thorough review of your internal email process.

• 2 months later...
I would be happy to pay a (small) one-off fee for this functionality but I am not going to buy into this ongoing subscription nonsense.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know..I feel the same way about Photoshop and the Creative Cloud subscription "nonsense"! Darned if I"ll pay a monthly or yearly fee to use what used to be a stand alone program!! But you have to realize that when I made the decision to buy Photoshop CS6 as a stand alone program (last time offered this way to my knowledge), I knew I was giving up access to any future updates to that very valuable program. So I saved money by deciding not to go along with that "ongoing subscription nonsense". Good for me! But do I now have the right to complain some months later that I no longer get valuable and useful updates to the software? The thing is this..any company has the right, if not an obligation, to keep its business on a profit making level! Adobe decided the subcription model was what they needed to increase profit. The analogy is not quite the same as wth Evernote, as Adobe never offered the program for free, other than as a 30 day free trial. After that the program simply failed to work! In my opinion, Evernote used the email feature as a way to get Basic users to upgrade, and at the same time offered a middle tier (Plus) to give users more features for less than the cost of a Premium account. I fail to see the problem! If you wish to retain your God given right to not participate in this "ongoing subscription nonsense", I say more power to you! Find an alternative to EN that will serve your needs for free and Never Change what they give you for free! Just as a final note, as others here have mentioned..EN was making nothing from your Free account. If you do decide to leave the EN family, you will only succeed in cutting off your nose to spite your own face, as the old saying goes. You will not hurt EN by that decision. But..if email is not worth it to you to upgrade, as well as the other features offered by the Plus plan..then you probably will be more satisfied with a different software model.

Unkei

Archived