I am trying to catalog information that I will need in January 2016.

To this end I was trying to copy the relevant information on the following page: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Check-which-NET-4-version-0634db37  (gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Check-which-NET-4-version-0634db37)

When I copied the PowerShell code directly (without using the Copy Code link) the past jumped me to the top of the page in my note. Realizing that something is wrong with the formatting for that to happen, I tried to use the undo (both CTRL+z and Edit | Undo) to get rid of the text, but it didn't work.

There is some form of HTML code (or maybe associated CSS) that you aren't stripping out when you should be.

You have my account name and have my permission to look into that note to see what's wrong (it is filed under Programming | PowerShell, the title = "Which .NET 4 version built the assembly").

Thanks for looking into this.

-Chris C.

• Level 5*

Hi.  This is a user forum and not a direct line to support,  so you probably won't get an official response on that,  but copying code into Evernote is known to have - variable - results.  Is there a reason why you wouldn't use Clipper to grab the content,  or other methods like taking a screenshot or printing the page to a PDF file?

• Level 5*

When I copied the PowerShell code directly (without using the Copy Code link) the past jumped me to the top of the page in my note. Realizing that something is wrong with the formatting for that to happen, I tried to use the undo (both CTRL+z and Edit | Undo) to get rid of the text, but it didn't work.

You can try, from the menu, Format > Simplify Formatting to see if that fixes the strange behavior.  I have also noticed that sometimes the Edit > Undo (CTRL-Z) does not work as expected.

There are definitely some web pages that will not copy nor clip well.  For these type of pages, I have found that some trial and error will usually get me what I want.

In this case, you can try creating two Horizontal Lines in the EN Note, and then copy/paste just the text inside of the code block.

However, I have found that, in general, Evernote does not handle/maintain code very well.  So I do the best copy/paste I can, but I also save the code in a file using its code editor (or general purpose code editor), and then attach that file to the Note.

• 3 months later...

I have Evernote basic. I pasted some text on entire note instead of pasting at cursor location. It took few seconds, wheel kept spinning and it synced the note ! I could no longer do Undo and get my note content back. This is ridiculous.

• Level 5*

I have Evernote basic. I pasted some text on entire note instead of pasting at cursor location. It took few seconds, wheel kept spinning and it synced the note ! I could no longer do Undo and get my note content back. This is ridiculous.

Hi.  It's unfortunate that 'undo' sometimes(?) doesn't work in these situations.  If the content was important,  you would be able to recover it from Note History if you upgraded to Premium - even for only one month.  Alternatively if you had a recent backup of your database (recommended) or a system backup (also recommended) including the database it would be possible to restore your previous database,  extract that original note,  and copy/ paste the content into the current version.  But it will be a time-consuming and technical exercise which may not be worth it for the sake of one note.  Will you be able to re-create the content from memory and any other sources?

• Level 5*

I agree.  Undo should always work.  If it doesn't, it's a bug IMO.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue", "Payment/Billing Issue", and  "Log in issues".

Hi.  It's unfortunate that 'undo' sometimes(?) doesn't work in these situations.  If the content was important,  you would be able to recover it from Note History if you upgraded to Premium - even for only one month.  Alternatively if you had a recent backup of your database (recommended) or a system backup (also recommended) including the database it would be possible to restore your previous database,  extract that original note,  and copy/ paste the content into the current version.  But it will be a time-consuming and technical exercise which may not be worth it for the sake of one note.  Will you be able to re-create the content from memory and any other sources?

I do back up notes but my last one was in February. I will try upgrade to premium for a month. I think this feature should be added to Evernote Plus as lot of people having issue with undo. You should not be asking user to upgrade to premium as a work around for a software glitch. Second, I can understand this kind of glitch (bugs). Another way is to find a pattern where this can potentially happen and beware users about it. e.g. 'hey seems like you have used some text and formatting from internet which might cause some feature to not work' etc.

• 9 months later...
On 2015-11-11 at 7:55 AM, nirp said:

I do back up notes but my last one was in February. I will try upgrade to premium for a month. I think this feature should be added to Evernote Plus as lot of people having issue with undo. You should not be asking user to upgrade to premium as a work around for a software glitch. Second, I can understand this kind of glitch (bugs). Another way is to find a pattern where this can potentially happen and beware users about it. e.g. 'hey seems like you have used some text and formatting from internet which might cause some feature to not work' etc.

@nirp, did buying premium for one month enable you to solve it?

And a question for the evernote gurus: Has this bug been fixed in later versions or has a workaround been introduced? 

Archived