Evernote hangs after each new version

cswilly

After installing a new version of Evernote, Evernote will hang (i.e. "Not responding"). It will hang with lots of disk activity (I have a SSD). The hang will continue for 30 to 90 seconds. I can do a few operations and then Evernote will hang again.

After a few days (< a week) of this, normal operation is restored. No hangs, until the next update.

Anybody else have similar behavior? 

• Level 5*

Evernote updates do 'housekeeping' tasks like reindexing and updating the database structure, and recently there were changes to the way changes were synced with the web server,  though I haven't noticed any perceptible changes on my (old fashioned) spinning disks version.  Does this N/R stage cause you a problem?

I certainly notice Evernote "Not Responding" a lot, and I also have its database on a solid-state drive.  I haven't noticed the problem clearing itself up over time.  It's very frustrating. I go to Evernote to find research clippings I need to access, and the long delays (never quite sure if the application is going to recover, of whether I have to shut it down, and restart it) are frustrating and disruptive to my workflow.  Windows 7 32-bit.

• Level 5*

Robert,

Do you notice a particular activity prior to this happening.  I get very few Not Respondings, but when I do it seems to happen when I am using the backspace key in the search bar.  Not 100% repeatable, but when it happens, this is what I am doing.  SSD here as well.

Do you notice a particular activity prior to this happening.  I get very few Not Respondings, but when I do it seems to happen when I am using the backspace key in the search bar.  Not 100% repeatable, but when it happens, this is what I am doing.  SSD here as well.

Not Responding happen very often (all the time?) when using the search bar. Happens when I create a new note, sync, and ....

After the last update (5.8.13.8152), the "Not Responding" error increased considerably. The general performance of Evernote has slowed, especially when using the search bar.

• Level 5*

I don't know if this can be done in EN Win using AutoHotKey or PhaseExpress, but I have written a Keyboard Maestro macro for EN Mac that prompts the user for the Search box string, and then enters it into EN Mac.  Eliminates the whole Evernote BS of incremental search, which I hate.

EN-Mac-KM-Search.gif

Note the search qualifier "intitle:" is auto selected, so I can just type over it if I don't need it, or press the ➡︎ key to enter Title keywords, and more.

• 3 weeks later...

Robert,

Just adding a "+1" to this issue. Same symptom ("Not responding...") and same circumstances (using Search box; Windows app running from SSD).

This is making EN less and less usable on my Win 7-64 bit machine.

Archived