Need clarification about Encryption functions

Need clarification about Encryption functions

Windows 7, Desktop + Android on smart phone, paid subscriber

I looked for answers to these questions in the online help, but didn't find specific clarification about these Encryption issues. Perhaps a FAQ with some of these questions would be useful to others. Such a FAQ does not come up when searching in the online EN Knowledge base for "encryption."

First, is it safe to assume that all in transit syncs are using SSL, and therefore, pretty safe to use non encrypted notes, where there is sensitive information. The "encrypted text" function is just a secondary measure. Is that correct ? In other words, I feel quite safe transmitting sensitive data over my web browser to my bank logins ,etc, because it uses SSL (HTTPS). Can I assume the same about EN ?

Other Questions :

I have removed all "old" RC2 encryption in all notes that had it to make sure I am using the most recent encryption method AES.

When I set selected text to be encrypted, there is no way to set the hint. The dialog box for Hint says "no hint available" which is grayed out. How do I set the hint ? I guess this has been removed for the AES method for extra security.

Also, encryption pass phrase seems to be using the same pass phrase across all notes where I have encrypted text. Is this correct ? I cannot set different pass phrases for different notes.

Encryption does not work if there is an image in the note. correct ? At least it doesn't seem to work for me if there is an image in the note. "Encrypt Text" is grayed out in the context menu.

Also, there is a little blue arrow top - right corner of the note when viewing in it the note panel. What does that mean ?

Thanks. This is a very good detailed article about all things security for EN.

It does verify that all "in transit" data is pretty safe and does not necessarily need the extra encryption

I am going to assume the other questions are :

(1) There is no longer any way to set a "hint"

(2) Encryption pass phrase is the same across all notes, all encrypted text

(3) If an image is selected in the note, then encryption does not work

(4) I have no clue what the little blue arrow, top-right is all about.

It seems to be marking that something has been decrypted.

• Level 5*

Answers to your questions:

(1) There is no longer any way to set a "hint"

• If you create a new passphrase you can enter a hint

(2) Encryption pass phrase is the same across all notes, all encrypted text

• That's the default, but if you enter a different passphrase it will allow you after a confirm

(3) If an image is selected in the note, then encryption does not work

• Correct.  At this time only text is supported.

(4) I have no clue what the little blue arrow, top-right is all about.

It seems to be marking that something has been decrypted.

• I believe it shows when the Note needs to be sync'd.  Not related to encryption.

Archived