Evernote Spam

DJANDYW

I've been using evernote for years just for txt based notes. It's been working great i never loose my notes and i dont need to upgrade or pay since i dont use any space.

Anyways i've been getting spammed with this popup on my computer it's so fkn annoying and if it wont stop i'll just stop using evernote and tell everyone i know to not use it.

I dont like spam if i wanted to pay i would if i needed it stop spamming me.

19414636055_d63e21c39e_o.png

• Level 5

It is not spam.

It is a targeted marketing message aimed at a very specific audience that is most likely to upgrade.

You might not upgrade, but others will.

• Level 5

I doubt they will stop. 

Evernote has found the longer a free user continues to use Evernote, the greater the possibility of the user upgrading.

They should it's not a good practice and if i needed to upgrade to a premium account because i needed more space i would pay.... I'm not paying for something when i don't need it.

Stop spamming me evernote you'll be loosing customers potential customers this way if you keep this up i'll never upgrade and i'll probly just stop using evernote.

They should it's not a good practice and if i needed to upgrade to a premium account because i needed more space i would pay.... I'm not paying for something when i don't need it.

Stop spamming me evernote you'll be loosing customers potential customers this way if you keep this up i'll never upgrade and i'll probly just stop using evernote.

I always find it ironic when free users complain about something and threaten EN will be losing customers, if they continue. Losing non-payng customers is really a non-issue.

Good luck with finding an app that better suits your needs.

I am with you Djandyw, this is just totally annoying. Spammy pop-ups will in no way make me go and pay for premium, but only have me start looking for an alternative. Just do the right thing, add cool new features to premium or do a discount price offer for example, that will tempt me in buying it, not this.

• Level 5

I am with you Djandyw, this is just totally annoying. Spammy pop-ups will in no way make me go and pay for premium, but only have me start looking for an alternative. Just do the right thing, add cool new features to premium or do a discount price offer for example, that will tempt me in buying it, not this.

You don't understand the concept of targeted marketing.  It might bug you. Advertisements on television bug a lot of people. But the ads continue.

Evernote certainly does not expect 100% of their free users to upgrade because of a reminder.  They would be happy if just 5% of the free users upgrade.

The bottom line - if they can reach a large number of potential customers to spread the word about additional Evernote benefits, then the message has served its purpose.

Blah Blah Blah evernote this evernote that if you woke up tomorrow and evernote was gone because they couldn't make any money because people said ***** evernote i'm sure there would be %0 of these biased comments lol

idc realy evernote be stupid be spammy i'm out

Remember spam is spam. Peace

Dear Evernote,

Respectively, what the heck. Why are you invading my Google Search Results!!! See attached photo. 

Please tell me this is a malware / virus which is inlaying Evernote ads into my Google Search Results... I love Evernote because you guys are great, so I know there is zero chance that this is actually a legit Evernote ad play.... it must be some shady virus. It just feels exactly like a virus would feel. 

Please direct me to the uninstall / removal steps which will allow me to shed this disgusting attempt to invade my privacy. 

Yours truly, 

PRIVACYDEAD

post-263106-0-48329500-1436507435_thumb.

I'd have to agree, the spam has gotten annoying, it comes up 2-3 times per day, if anything it's making me angry. Why would I want to pay for it to "go away"?

That's not how you turn me into a customer.

rNzu7co.png

• Level 5*

Dear Evernote,

Respectively, what the heck. Why are you invading my Google Search Results!!! See attached photo. 

Please tell me this is a malware / virus which is inlaying Evernote ads into my Google Search Results... I love Evernote because you guys are great, so I know there is zero chance that this is actually a legit Evernote ad play.... it must be some shady virus. It just feels exactly like a virus would feel. 

Please direct me to the uninstall / removal steps which will allow me to shed this disgusting attempt to invade my privacy. 

Yours truly, 

PRIVACYDEAD

Holy overreaction, Batman!

It's simply the Web Clipper. It's an option you can turn off. There's no privacy invasion whatsoever.

96ec68115ec54bb27fdeca33ebd6c098.png

I'd have to agree, the spam has gotten annoying, it comes up 2-3 times per day, if anything it's making me angry. Why would I want to pay for it to "go away"?

That's not how you turn me into a customer.

If you see any popup for Premium upgrade coming up 2-3 times a day, please report it. That's not intended. 

Just installed OneNote and copied my important notes over. For the time being Evernote stays on my computer but no longer start with windows.  I only need minimal functionality so either Onenote or Evernote is fine to me, but multi nag screens an hour is simply retarded. Free or not, this is not how you treat your customers. Hell, I'm even fine with an ad in the corner of Evernote main screen, but such a company should know why people LOATHE pop-up ads. 

@whoever telling me to upgrade to premium: nope. I will subscribe when I need a premium feature, not when a freaking nagscreen tells me to do so. 

This is what I'm talking about, it takes up a somewhat large portion of my screen, comes up randomly, and is disruptive.

I get it, Evernote is a great tool and needs $ for long term support. I just don't think this was a great marketing idea.

Plus its not 4 times an hours like some people claim. It appears almost every time I search for something :\ 

Consider this is my report, because I dont believe this company treats free users complaints/reports seriously. 

Ok,

Besides the fact that I'm reporting this issue right now (along with others).

Where do I go to officially report it?

That's fair, I should have added next steps.

Environment specific info helps us locate the problem. We start off with device, OS/version, browser/version, Evernote version info, and move from there. A ticket via https://evernote.com/contact/support/ticket/is the best route to go, however if you PM me that info I'll generate a ticket on your behalf, append info you provide me via PM and get you started with support. 

Seeing upgrade info 2-3 times a day (or at every search, @kronpas) is not expected behavior. The plan is most definitely not to annoy you into paying. 

Further, this looks like it's all related to the web clipper, yes? If so, I'll move this thread over to our web clipper forum and notify the product manager in charge that he should check it out. 

Dear Evernote, 

Mr. Tokoloko & Ms. Chirmer1 kindly informed me that the inlaying of Evernote ads within my Google Search Results is in fact not the virus / malware (which I assumed / suspected) and instead is actually a feature which you assumed I would appreciate. Thankfully they also helped in providing me the steps needed to remove this invasion of my privacy. Rather than deactivate the "Related Results" virus I instead deleted the web clipper extension all together. This stinks because I love that tool and use it frequently! Still I don't feel comfortable risking any future haphazard commingling of my private EN and public non-EN life. That is what this really comes down to. Evernote was a private place for me before but now I am not so sure. (Read on if you do not see the connection.) 

Still I love you guys so I know this must have been an oversight of sorts, maybe someone took theirs eyes off the product team interns for too long? Let me explain to these interns why this unsolicited Evernote encroachment into my non-Evernote life is a step (or seven steps) too far:

• Like many of your fervent followers, I use Evernote as a second brain of sorts.
  • I trust Evernote with some of my most important and personal thoughts, musings and ideas. I trust and share all of these important parts of my life with EN but only under the assumption of ultimate / pure privacy. 
  • To me, real privacy means an impenetrable Chinese wall between my private universe and the public universe. There are so few places today where I can trust that my online existence will remain private (or selectively private within a network I am comfortable with).
  • What is really startling to me (and which I now recognize was a naive assumption) is that I never once thought I would have to worry about Evernote and privacy. Heck you guys store my second brain, how could you not realize how important that privacy is to me! 
  • Now I know I sly but ultimately naive intern might say I am 10000x overreacting and they might argue that pushing my private evernote clippings into search results is totally unrelated to privacy... but I am not overreacting, and of course it is a gross invasion of my privacy.
  • Despite whatever the labyrinth TOC (perhaps ill read them this weekend to generate some legal fodder ... someone has to take a stand on privacy somewhere!) says about what my private notes can or cannot be used for... come on Evernote this is my second brain. How can you think its okay to take my second brain, my private thoughts, and serve them up however you like... You didn't even ask me if I would like this product!
  • But really this specific privacy violation isn't what is stirring my pot ... its the potential future violations.
  • Once an organization crosses the privacy line there is NO turning back ... and slowly but surely we consumer are convinced to accept more and more encroachments. But I cannot accept any encroachments ... so the potential slippery slop which might tear down the private public Chinese wall is REALLY worrisome to me.
  • This risk makes me consider leaving EN altogether rather than upgrading (and I have considered upgrading many time ... but free is free and you are offering free)
  • And I must add that I am not a troll, definitely not. Again I think you guys are amazing! I love EN. I follow your ever move waiting to see how you might help me next in becoming organized / productive! 

To touch on the inevitable conversation around the need for Evernote to make money...

• I would very happily pay for the free service you are already giving me. Totally would. No question.
  • I have even considered upgrading to paid in the past... not because I need additional features, but because I wanted to support you guys!
  • But I wont be guilt-ed or shamed for complain about monetization efforts while using a free product. I didnt make it free, you did!!!
  • Like I said I will happily pay for Evernote, but I am obviously very uncomfortable with the way you are trying to convince me to do so. (Here I am mixing my issues with the issues which other people are voicing ... the GSR virus is more of an engagement play than monetization.)
  • If you don't want me to be a free member, please please please think of a more responsible way to tell me or better yet convince me that the paid product is a must have.  

With some hope but more reservation, 

PRIVACYDEAD

1 - I love Batman, Superman too!!!

At risk of moving this away from a thread about Premium/Plus upgrade pop ups--we have a privacy page here that is non-labyrinthine, and probably one of the best/most accessible ones I've seen, though I may be a little biased. We value your privacy, so have made it very easy to figure out what we share and what we do not: https://evernote.com/legal/privacy.php

As for clipper--your data remains your own, accessible only to you (or other people you've shared with). The related results appearing alongside your Google search are not commingling with any Google data, and are simply a visual representation of note data that is presented from the Clipper, similar to the related results that drop down when you finish clipping a new note, or related results presented to you within the desktop apps. 

• Level 5

Getting back to the topic of this post - Spam - I have been pleased with the antispam results. Many of the spammers are gone. And the occasional ones that slip through have to resort to some clever misleading wording. They are easy to spot and get removed quickly.

You really think you can just jump on someone's technology, not ever pay -- even for the sake that it's someone else's creative product? -- and then jump on here and make valueless threats to said technology developer? What, you're owed something by them?? Get a clue. Please let go.

You really think you can just jump on someone's technology, not ever pay -- even for the sake that it's someone else's creative product? -- and then jump on here and make valueless threats to said technology developer? What, you're owed something by them?? Get a clue. Please let go.

Do you gain anything by attacking other people in this thread? 

Free referral and  advertisement by words of mouth dont come free :) Besides no one complains about advertisement here, but a specific type of invasive ad. In this thread I even said I was find with ads in a corner of main screen. Consider I only use Evernote for like less than a min a day for a few quick lookups, its a fair trade. 

We just pushed a fix for the problem where the upgrade prompt shows in an infinite loop on Windows. You may see the prompt one more time, but then you should be able to dismiss it forever.

If you see it again after that final dismissal, please holler in this thread and I'll see the message immediately.

Archived