Date and Time formats

I occasionaly have to use Evernote Web (Windows 7 & Firefox) at work (as opposed to the nice Mac client usually).

I'm rather annoyed that the date format can only be the American MM/DD/YYYY if I want the English interface.

Evernote DOES know better, because if I change the Evernote interface language to French or German the date is "correct" (i.e. DD/MM/YYYY). It's still not the DD.MM.YYYY that I need, but I could live with that. But event then the time format is still the primitive American AM/PM...

This provides very little usability. There ARE English speakers in this world who are using international standards. Why can't I set this correctly under settings?

Allan

Premium user

• Level 5*

Hi.  Reported before,  but not fixed yet...  as a workaround,  are you using the new Beta web layout or the old one?  You can change back in Settings,  and there you'll have "July 2nd, 2015"  - which is easier to read for some reason.  Absolutely no inside knowledge here,  but the Beta web is still in development and changing the date display might be something for the next update - maybe - which is perhaps why we're still waiting.  Still there are quite a lot of European users out here - 'proper' dates would be nice... 

• Level 5*

I'm rather annoyed that the date format can only be the American MM/DD/YYYY if I want the English interface.

There ARE English speakers in this world who are using international standards. Why can't I set this correctly under settings? Allan Premium user

Until/IF Evernote provides us with this option, as a workaround (maybe better) you can use 3rd party tools like AutoHotKey and PhaseExpress to generate whatever date/time format you want.  These tools also provide lots of other useful features.

• Level 5*

Not sure, but I think EN will inherit your Windows date/time format options.  So you could use Control Panel - Clock, Language, and Region - Change the date, time or number format to adjust the format and see if EN in the browser inherits it.  FWIW.

When I switch to English Evernote Web old version the date setting change from YY-MM-DD to DDmmYY and when I switch back it stayed that way... hope its reset after a reboot or bad word or so :o

• Level 5*

Yeah, I forget if it required a machine cycle or an app cycle to have the change take effect.  I did it once for my desktop EN, didn't like the overall result since the change impacted all apps,switched back.  But if that's how one wants to roll across the whole machine, not too bad a solution.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Have just spent the last few hours trying to follow instructions to change date format to dd/mm/yyyy, My mac settings are set to that format (as per some instructions). No change to evernote. It is a shame because i have been hoping to use evernote (for work and personal) for a few years now but until i can change the date format it is useless to me. I am just a regular person with no great computer knowledge so need straight forward instructions on how to do this. Unfortunately i still cannot seem to achieve what should surely be so simple???? What am i missing? Help please.

• Level 5*
On 5/14/2016 at 4:27 PM, Peta J said:

It is a shame because i have been hoping to use evernote (for work and personal) for a few years now but until i can change the date format it is useless to me

Evernote can be frustrating at times, particularly on stuff like this.

So long ago I started using other tools that I have more control of.  In this case, some type of text expander app would be perfect.  You can easily create snippets for a wide range of date formats.  Of course there are many, many other uses for text expansion.  

So you might consider these on the Mac:

I highly recommend Keyboard Maestro .  It works great with Evernote and every other app on your Mac, and provides much, much more than just text expansion.  It has a free, fully functional, 30-day trial available.

• 11 months later...

I may be unorthodox but my preferred date time format is YYYY-MM-DD HHMM (in 24 hour time).  The logic of going in order of decreasing interval makes the most sense to me, and if you version your files with this it is much easier to find things in the long term as they are in true chronological order.  I would support more date - time customization options; let each user determine what works for them.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Adam Heiermann said:

I may be unorthodox but my preferred date time format is YYYY-MM-DD HHMM (in 24 hour time).  The logic of going in order of decreasing interval makes the most sense to me, and if you version your files with this it is much easier to find things in the long term as they are in true chronological order.  I would support more date - time customization options; let each user determine what works for them.

I aso prefer the YMD date format.591f188602fbe_ScreenShot2017-05-19at9_07_13AM.png.53326f5e82b1891d10e0244710983c8a.png
I set my Evernote preferences for it

Also my Mac System Preferences591f1dd9bfb5a_ScreenShot2017-05-19at9_30_11AM.png.5042cfab999e6a56f58631ba25f5fc35.png

• Level 5*

Us Windows users don't get quite so much in the way of format choices,  but I use a text expander to generate "20170520 1748" with one keypress.  (It's my standard format too - on note titles :))

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Adam Heiermann said:

For some reason my dates are displaying like this, not sure when 28 became 148 but sure.

I prefer Day-Of-Month but Day-Of-Year works for some people  ;)

This is driven by the Mac OS settings
See my post above
Possibly a reboot of your Mac might be required

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, Nielsdj1378 said:

Is it also possible that it pops up automatically as soon as I hit enter? 

Not that I know of

• 4 weeks later...

Ubuntu 16.04. Firefox 54.0.

My web interface shows the US version of dates with the month at the start. I would much prefer to see dates given in priority sequence, whether it's YMD or DMY. I think the only solution is to have a settings field that asks the user what their time and date preferences are.

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, stuwat said:

My web interface shows the US version of dates with the month at the start. I would much prefer to see dates given in priority sequence, whether it's YMD or DMY. I think the only solution is to have a settings field that asks the user what their time and date preferences are.

In supported OS's the system date is supposed to set the format.  There are other Ubuntu users,  so maybe one of them has found a work-around for this OS..

Hi Gazumped.

I have confirmed that my system settings for Language Support > Regional Settings are set to English (Canada). This establishes the date format to use as DMY. Perhaps Evernote does not have access to this information and therefore simply defaults to US date formats.

• 8 months later...
On 8/10/2017 at 5:50 PM, stuwat said:

Yes, while there is a preferences setting to set the format for "insert date", the choices are simply not very robust. If this were to be expanded to include both a match to the Windows date+time style, and to the style that you request (which is also what want: YYYYMMDDHHMM), it would seem to solve the entire problem. 

Archived