RogerWazup007

chrome Web Clipper Popups

Idea

I got sick of the annoying pop-up notification with Web Clipper and uninstalled it. I didn't find anything in the options to disable it. If there's a current or future fix, I might eventually install it again if I think of it.

1 person likes this

97 replies to this idea

Can you be more specific? What pop-up are you referring to? We show popups only when we think we have something useful to tell you and we only show them once per user. However uninstalling resets this count so IF you choose to install it again you may see them once more. 

I'm seeing this, too, across multiple browsers on multiple computers. It's obnoxious and abusing your paying customers.

1 person likes this

I was getting this too. I forget the exact wording, but it was something like "Like this page? Clip it with evernote!"

It came up randomly when opening new pages, repeatedly on the same computer. Felt like ~ once a day.
I found a thread from a year ago saying that disabling keyboard shortcuts made it go away, so I'm trying that now.

1 person likes this

I have Web Clipper installed on Chrome on multiple machines and I'm getting this popup on each of them too. Infuriating. Been using the extension for 2 years or so and don't need to be told how useful it is. You have no right to be spamming user's browsers with junk like this. Will try disabling keyboard shortcuts but if I see the popup once more, I'll be uninstalling Web Clipper and looking for alternatives to EN.

vK6hIej.png

1 person likes this

We show this because we have built a special capability around clipping from Linked In, Youtube and Amazon. In my opinion it's worth letting user know about it. 

Well, in your user's opinions, it's an annoying popup. Half of us thought its recurrence was a bug, the other half thought it was spammy.

I don't think most people are seeing the part of the text where it says that this is some sort of new feature. Evernote works well enough most places I use it, so if there was something I wanted to clip, I'd just try clipping it. I never ask myself "has evernote been optimized to clip this particular site?". By all means, keep optimizing stuff - making things "just work" is what makes a product great to use. But maybe don't interrupt us every time you do it.

Here are three reasons this interaction may not be working the way you imagine:
* The first line is "Like this page? save it", to which the user mentally responds "yeah, duh!".
It looks like a user-onboarding/tutorial message, but a totally redundant one because we probably knew the primary purpose of the plugin before installing it. Most users probably close the box before reading any further.

* If you alerted for a new feature like this (but with better thought-out text) every once in a blue moon, that might be ok. But I think you must have triggers for this on several sites right now because I've seen it a lot.

* I think the "has user seen this yet" variable doesn't get shared across browsers. I use evernote on three different computers (work, home, laptop) and it might explain why I've seen this popup so much if it triggers the first time I open Amazon/Gmail/PDFs on each browser.

This isn't the only thread where users have complained about this. So even if there are people who go "oh, neat, maybe I should try clipping this page", how often would that need to happen to compensate for those of us who uninstall the the toolbar because we don't need any extra pop-up ads in our web browsers?

4 people like this

Well, in your user's opinions, it's an annoying popup. Half of us thought its recurrence was a bug, the other half thought it was spammy.

Understanding *this* is the key to good product development. You don't get to decide what someone else thinks of your product/marketing decisions.

Consider giving your most vocal users what they want, which in this case is to pay to use your (generally good) product and be left alone.

I have seen this pop-up about 50 times now.  I get it already, please stop!  The only purpose this serves now is to make the web clipper less useful and to drive paying customers to uninstall it.

2 people like this

Understanding *this* is the key to good product development. You don't get to decide what someone else thinks of your product/marketing decisions.

Consider giving your most vocal users what they want, which in this case is to pay to use your (generally good) product and be left alone.

Agreed.  I can see including new features in release notes or (at best) as a single pop-up when a new version of clipper is installed.  The current system is simply annoying and does a disservice to your users.  Better yet, if you've made enhancements to how a few sites are clipped, why not just let us be pleasantly surprised by this when we do eventually clip something from those sites?  

The current behavior is annoying and not useful at all.  I'm hopeful that it will be changed in short order.  Otherwise, I'll be looking forward to the revamped Notes in iOS 9.  It'd be a shame to have to cancel a paid service I've used for so long.

Disabling keyboard shortcuts didn't stop the popups so I've uninstalled the plugin - annoying as I use it every day but I won't tolerate spam like this (intentional or otherwise) on any of my computers.

Of course, if Chrome didn't ban users from installing from non-Play Store sources, we could roll back to a .crx file of an older version but that's another matter altogether. It's infuriating for users who know what they're doing with a computer to have to tolerate these popups or go without completely.

Keyboard shortcuts doesn't affect these popups. Our intention is to show them once per user to let you know we have a new feature. If you see them multiple times we have a bug and we are investigating that right now. 

IF you see them repeatedly can you please let me know if you have a setting, extension or other utility that regularly clears cache or cookies? That would help us narrow down where the issue is. 

The extensions I have installed in Chrome are:

uBlock Origin

Session Buddy

Gmelius

Magic Actions for YouTube

New Tab Reloaded

MouseWheel Zoom

PasswordMaker Pro

Pushbullet

Reddit Enhancement Suite

Scroblr

The Camelizer

Don't think there's anything in there that clears the cache or cookies? I seem to recall getting the popup the first time I used the clipper, then getting it again when browsing to Amazon and Gmail for the first time after installing it.

1 person likes this

Must agree that the Chrome Evernote pop-ups are seriously disturbing - not so much as an annoyance. This is more about Evernote using cookies and tracking (that's what's used to remember that I clicked the damn "got it" button). 

The pop-up's title: 

"Search your Evernote account as you search the web" 

So this issue has just been ignored by Evernote? Anyone see how to stop this thing popping up frequently apart from uninstalling it?

@tigre1852

No we are not ignoring this. We've made changes to mitigate people seeing popups too often, most recently in version 6.6 of the Web Clipper. It's great if you can mention what popup you are referring to and what versions you are running. 

i am getting the evernote web tab stating a youtube vid has been clipped to notebook but i did not press a button i was merely commenting on a vid on youtube, i would like to disable this but do not know how to do this. it is not the evernote web clipper or ifttt as these are disabled in my chrome browser and when i try to comment some more on the same video as when i write a few letters it opens a new tab asks to log in and then post it to a notebook

@jbignert Pretty sure the pop ups are all mentioned in the posts above but I'll add another one if is not there: "Sign In with the Web Clipper to see related results"

I don't want to see related results (sorry but that does not add value for me) and certainly on Safari, Dismiss Forever does not function. 

In other words, the same pop up comes back either after a reboot or a restart of safari.

As far as ignoring goes, you asked for more details from AndyL on July 17 to which he responded but you never followed up with him as far as I can see. I may be wrong.

Hence my ignoring comment.

I add my voice to the precedent ones. This is not only extreemly annoying to be cut in the midst of one's productivity, but also creepy, as I get the feeling Evernote is peeping and prying over my shoulder constantly :

"Oh I can see you are opening a PDF... is it interesting ? lemme see..."

By searching how to disable it, I came to this old thread.  So, yes, I clear my cookie cache everyday.

Please stop this or at least allow an opt out feature.

post-269829-0-50497800-1442964037_thumb.

I've long since removed the evernote chrome extension. The marginal gains are not worth the forced "tips" and upsell harassment.

I've been a premium user for years and your increasing desire to encroach on everything else on my computer is the reason that I'm actively evaluating alternative note/clipping apps. You guys have a terrible attitude about this - "we think it's worth telling users about?" Seriously? Send me an email and tell me about it at reasonable intervals. 

The sad thing is that you have a really good application - it's hard to find a good alternative - but it's so annoying that I will jump ship the moment I find something that works 75% as well. 

Seriously, your users are giving you feedback. Don't tell them they're wrong. Try to understand how they actually use your product. 

Add my voice the choir of very frustrated, very unhappy Web Clipper users. Every time it seems like I've gotten through the worst of the pop-ups, they return with a vengeance and the nagging starts all over again. It is not helpful. This is not "cluing me in" to a new, undiscovered feature. I use this feature regularly. I know how it works. I know it has special features on specific sites. Stop telling me the same things over and over again in the most intrusive manner possible!

I really do like the Evernote suite of products. They're great. But I agree with previous posters: this is getting out of control. Evernote has become like a virtual kudzu vine, growing into places where you'd rather it didn't. Toning down Web Clipper would be an excellent start, but the initial responses to the first poster on this thread suggest that, for some unfathomable reason, Evernote is both tone deaf to its customer feedback and blind to how far other note-taking applications have advanced. Have you seen the new Notes application in El Capitan? It has features Evernote lacks, like the ability to spontaneously add free-form sketches without opening a second application. THAT is useful. Nagware is not.

My subscription is due to renew in February. If I see three more pop-ups in that time, I'm cancelling my subscription and exporting my notes to Notability, Apple Notes or (gods help me) OneNote. I've had enough. I'm a paying customer, and you're treating me like some freemium mooch. Bad idea. Evernote simply isn't innovating fast enough to merit that kind of behavior, and your product certainly doesn't surpass others by a sufficient margin to feel so comfortable about your market position.

Tick tock. Fix it or lose my money. You aren't cheap, either, so I won't shed too many tears if you remain complacent. I could pay for two or three cloud services for the price of yours.

1 person likes this

well, i just turned it off.  i'm getting the entire page ad to use web clipper EVERYTIME I open my chrome browser.  then i also get the little popup warnings from time to time in the upper right hand corner.  I AM A PAID PRO MEMBER but I'm turning this off.  It did NOT do this a few weeks ago.  Please send me an email when it's fixed, and put my subscription on hold so that no time is used until this is fixed.

Thanks,

1 person likes this

This is so stupid guys.  When you create a POPUP of useful content -- Thanks.  Make it "remember" not to do it everytime though.  That is what EVERYONE does and you all are not.  What you are doing is SPAMMING us with your "useful" information.  Was useful once, not hundreds of times.

Second, really, you want us to be more specific?  How many annoying popups do you have?  It is the EVernote Web Clipper that pops up on every new window. STOP IT.  I've pressed the X to close, the Try it out.   No matter what it always pops up.  I do demos and do not need to have your spam on my machine.  I've had to disable the "useful" plugin because of this.

2 people like this

This usually only pops up on new sites. For example, the first time signing into outlook, it has a notification saying it supports outlook mail clipping. First time on gmail, it let's me know that it supports gmail clipping. This is annoying, and every time that popup appears, I instantly x it out without bothering to read it.

It was really starting to drive me crazy on pdfs. Every time I load a pdf in the browser, I am reminded "Did you know you can clip pdfs directly to Evernote?" But there is a solution!! Once I signed into the web clipper addon and told it to keep me logged in for 30 days, the pdf reminder went away.

1. This is a bad solution, because I like to log out of things.

2. This is a bad solution, because it only works for 30 days at a time.

3. A better solution would be to send me an email once that told me all the features. If I want to know advanced tips, I can refer back to the email, look it up the website, or discover them on my own.

4. Popup = spam. I don't care what's in the popup, the 'x' in the corner is the only thing I look at. 
Do not make me look at popups! 

1 person likes this