Web Clipper Popups

RogerWazup007

Idea

100 replies to this idea

Can you be more specific? What pop-up are you referring to? We show popups only when we think we have something useful to tell you and we only show them once per user. However uninstalling resets this count so IF you choose to install it again you may see them once more. 

I was getting this too. I forget the exact wording, but it was something like "Like this page? Clip it with evernote!"

It came up randomly when opening new pages, repeatedly on the same computer. Felt like ~ once a day.
I found a thread from a year ago saying that disabling keyboard shortcuts made it go away, so I'm trying that now.

I have Web Clipper installed on Chrome on multiple machines and I'm getting this popup on each of them too. Infuriating. Been using the extension for 2 years or so and don't need to be told how useful it is. You have no right to be spamming user's browsers with junk like this. Will try disabling keyboard shortcuts but if I see the popup once more, I'll be uninstalling Web Clipper and looking for alternatives to EN.

vK6hIej.png

Well, in your user's opinions, it's an annoying popup. Half of us thought its recurrence was a bug, the other half thought it was spammy.

I don't think most people are seeing the part of the text where it says that this is some sort of new feature. Evernote works well enough most places I use it, so if there was something I wanted to clip, I'd just try clipping it. I never ask myself "has evernote been optimized to clip this particular site?". By all means, keep optimizing stuff - making things "just work" is what makes a product great to use. But maybe don't interrupt us every time you do it.

Here are three reasons this interaction may not be working the way you imagine:
* The first line is "Like this page? save it", to which the user mentally responds "yeah, duh!".
It looks like a user-onboarding/tutorial message, but a totally redundant one because we probably knew the primary purpose of the plugin before installing it. Most users probably close the box before reading any further.

* If you alerted for a new feature like this (but with better thought-out text) every once in a blue moon, that might be ok. But I think you must have triggers for this on several sites right now because I've seen it a lot.

* I think the "has user seen this yet" variable doesn't get shared across browsers. I use evernote on three different computers (work, home, laptop) and it might explain why I've seen this popup so much if it triggers the first time I open Amazon/Gmail/PDFs on each browser.

This isn't the only thread where users have complained about this. So even if there are people who go "oh, neat, maybe I should try clipping this page", how often would that need to happen to compensate for those of us who uninstall the the toolbar because we don't need any extra pop-up ads in our web browsers?

Well, in your user's opinions, it's an annoying popup. Half of us thought its recurrence was a bug, the other half thought it was spammy.

Understanding *this* is the key to good product development. You don't get to decide what someone else thinks of your product/marketing decisions.

Consider giving your most vocal users what they want, which in this case is to pay to use your (generally good) product and be left alone.

I have seen this pop-up about 50 times now.  I get it already, please stop!  The only purpose this serves now is to make the web clipper less useful and to drive paying customers to uninstall it.

Understanding *this* is the key to good product development. You don't get to decide what someone else thinks of your product/marketing decisions.

Consider giving your most vocal users what they want, which in this case is to pay to use your (generally good) product and be left alone.

Agreed.  I can see including new features in release notes or (at best) as a single pop-up when a new version of clipper is installed.  The current system is simply annoying and does a disservice to your users.  Better yet, if you've made enhancements to how a few sites are clipped, why not just let us be pleasantly surprised by this when we do eventually clip something from those sites?  

The current behavior is annoying and not useful at all.  I'm hopeful that it will be changed in short order.  Otherwise, I'll be looking forward to the revamped Notes in iOS 9.  It'd be a shame to have to cancel a paid service I've used for so long.

Disabling keyboard shortcuts didn't stop the popups so I've uninstalled the plugin - annoying as I use it every day but I won't tolerate spam like this (intentional or otherwise) on any of my computers.

Of course, if Chrome didn't ban users from installing from non-Play Store sources, we could roll back to a .crx file of an older version but that's another matter altogether. It's infuriating for users who know what they're doing with a computer to have to tolerate these popups or go without completely.

Keyboard shortcuts doesn't affect these popups. Our intention is to show them once per user to let you know we have a new feature. If you see them multiple times we have a bug and we are investigating that right now. 

IF you see them repeatedly can you please let me know if you have a setting, extension or other utility that regularly clears cache or cookies? That would help us narrow down where the issue is. 

The extensions I have installed in Chrome are:

uBlock Origin

Session Buddy

Gmelius

Magic Actions for YouTube

New Tab Reloaded

MouseWheel Zoom

PasswordMaker Pro

Pushbullet

Reddit Enhancement Suite

Scroblr

The Camelizer

Don't think there's anything in there that clears the cache or cookies? I seem to recall getting the popup the first time I used the clipper, then getting it again when browsing to Amazon and Gmail for the first time after installing it.

Must agree that the Chrome Evernote pop-ups are seriously disturbing - not so much as an annoyance. This is more about Evernote using cookies and tracking (that's what's used to remember that I clicked the damn "got it" button). 

The pop-up's title: 

"Search your Evernote account as you search the web" 

@tigre1852

No we are not ignoring this. We've made changes to mitigate people seeing popups too often, most recently in version 6.6 of the Web Clipper. It's great if you can mention what popup you are referring to and what versions you are running. 

i am getting the evernote web tab stating a youtube vid has been clipped to notebook but i did not press a button i was merely commenting on a vid on youtube, i would like to disable this but do not know how to do this. it is not the evernote web clipper or ifttt as these are disabled in my chrome browser and when i try to comment some more on the same video as when i write a few letters it opens a new tab asks to log in and then post it to a notebook

@jbignert Pretty sure the pop ups are all mentioned in the posts above but I'll add another one if is not there: "Sign In with the Web Clipper to see related results"

I don't want to see related results (sorry but that does not add value for me) and certainly on Safari, Dismiss Forever does not function. 

In other words, the same pop up comes back either after a reboot or a restart of safari.

As far as ignoring goes, you asked for more details from AndyL on July 17 to which he responded but you never followed up with him as far as I can see. I may be wrong.

Hence my ignoring comment.

I add my voice to the precedent ones. This is not only extreemly annoying to be cut in the midst of one's productivity, but also creepy, as I get the feeling Evernote is peeping and prying over my shoulder constantly :

"Oh I can see you are opening a PDF... is it interesting ? lemme see..."

By searching how to disable it, I came to this old thread.  So, yes, I clear my cookie cache everyday.

Please stop this or at least allow an opt out feature.

post-269829-0-50497800-1442964037_thumb.

I've been a premium user for years and your increasing desire to encroach on everything else on my computer is the reason that I'm actively evaluating alternative note/clipping apps. You guys have a terrible attitude about this - "we think it's worth telling users about?" Seriously? Send me an email and tell me about it at reasonable intervals. 

The sad thing is that you have a really good application - it's hard to find a good alternative - but it's so annoying that I will jump ship the moment I find something that works 75% as well. 

Seriously, your users are giving you feedback. Don't tell them they're wrong. Try to understand how they actually use your product. 

Add my voice the choir of very frustrated, very unhappy Web Clipper users. Every time it seems like I've gotten through the worst of the pop-ups, they return with a vengeance and the nagging starts all over again. It is not helpful. This is not "cluing me in" to a new, undiscovered feature. I use this feature regularly. I know how it works. I know it has special features on specific sites. Stop telling me the same things over and over again in the most intrusive manner possible!

I really do like the Evernote suite of products. They're great. But I agree with previous posters: this is getting out of control. Evernote has become like a virtual kudzu vine, growing into places where you'd rather it didn't. Toning down Web Clipper would be an excellent start, but the initial responses to the first poster on this thread suggest that, for some unfathomable reason, Evernote is both tone deaf to its customer feedback and blind to how far other note-taking applications have advanced. Have you seen the new Notes application in El Capitan? It has features Evernote lacks, like the ability to spontaneously add free-form sketches without opening a second application. THAT is useful. Nagware is not.

My subscription is due to renew in February. If I see three more pop-ups in that time, I'm cancelling my subscription and exporting my notes to Notability, Apple Notes or (gods help me) OneNote. I've had enough. I'm a paying customer, and you're treating me like some freemium mooch. Bad idea. Evernote simply isn't innovating fast enough to merit that kind of behavior, and your product certainly doesn't surpass others by a sufficient margin to feel so comfortable about your market position.

Tick tock. Fix it or lose my money. You aren't cheap, either, so I won't shed too many tears if you remain complacent. I could pay for two or three cloud services for the price of yours.

well, i just turned it off.  i'm getting the entire page ad to use web clipper EVERYTIME I open my chrome browser.  then i also get the little popup warnings from time to time in the upper right hand corner.  I AM A PAID PRO MEMBER but I'm turning this off.  It did NOT do this a few weeks ago.  Please send me an email when it's fixed, and put my subscription on hold so that no time is used until this is fixed.

Thanks,

This is so stupid guys.  When you create a POPUP of useful content -- Thanks.  Make it "remember" not to do it everytime though.  That is what EVERYONE does and you all are not.  What you are doing is SPAMMING us with your "useful" information.  Was useful once, not hundreds of times.

Second, really, you want us to be more specific?  How many annoying popups do you have?  It is the EVernote Web Clipper that pops up on every new window. STOP IT.  I've pressed the X to close, the Try it out.   No matter what it always pops up.  I do demos and do not need to have your spam on my machine.  I've had to disable the "useful" plugin because of this.

This usually only pops up on new sites. For example, the first time signing into outlook, it has a notification saying it supports outlook mail clipping. First time on gmail, it let's me know that it supports gmail clipping. This is annoying, and every time that popup appears, I instantly x it out without bothering to read it.

It was really starting to drive me crazy on pdfs. Every time I load a pdf in the browser, I am reminded "Did you know you can clip pdfs directly to Evernote?" But there is a solution!! Once I signed into the web clipper addon and told it to keep me logged in for 30 days, the pdf reminder went away.

1. This is a bad solution, because I like to log out of things.

2. This is a bad solution, because it only works for 30 days at a time.

3. A better solution would be to send me an email once that told me all the features. If I want to know advanced tips, I can refer back to the email, look it up the website, or discover them on my own.

4. Popup = spam. I don't care what's in the popup, the 'x' in the corner is the only thing I look at. 
Do not make me look at popups! 

Fortunately, I only get the popup when Chrome opens a pdf inside a window, but still that's about 25 times a day for me on average; could be 50 or more depending on what work I'm doing. It is extremely annoying, and the little "x" to close the box is tricky to catch just right and get the cursor to change to the hand symbol. So it does feel sneaky and spammy and tricky. That may be why so many of us are just very irritated at it. Multiple openings, that spammy, sneaky, tricky feeling, all at once can make a product just feel cheap.

I am getting the pop up every time I open a pdf.  I am on the verge of disabling the extension.    I do indeed know that I can clip PDFs directly into my evernote account with web clipper.  I do not need to be reminded constantly.

I am using Windows 10, Chrome version  54.0.2840.99 m.   It doesn't matter whether I have signed in to web clipper or not.  There is no setting option to switch off the pop up.

Apparently they have decided to ignore it. I'm getting sick and tired of the pop-up everytime I open a PDF. I just renewed my subscription, but I'm starting to regret it. Over the next year, I'll start moving all my notes over to OneNote and abandon EverNote. I think that's what they want us to do now. Just leave. 

All the popup does is remind me of how intrusive Evernote is - watching the traffic on my browser, and doing god knows what with that information.

I want WebClipper to do NOTHING at all until I click on the button. I am paying for the product, this is not Facebook or Google where I give up information about my browsing habits and get free services in exchange.

Came here looking for a solution to the annoying popups. It's really unfortunate that Evernote insists that something is valuable in spite of the user response to the contrary.

Looks like the only option is to remove the chrome add-in... which is what I'm about to do.

Well, my comment from yesterday wasn't approved by the moderator. At least not yet. Maybe they'll approve this one. I found out that there is a way to reduce the pop-ups, at least for PDFs. You need to make sure you are signed in to the web clipper. Once I signed in, the pop-ups stopped showing up every single time I opened a PDF file. And, you need to make sure you click the "remember me for 30 days" option. So, you'll get that horrible little annoying pop-up at least every thirty days. It still sucks though. And I'll still considering moving away from Evernote to OneNote.

I see this hasn't been fixed 1 1/2 years later.  It is very annoying, and it is really really annoying when it pops up and covers the document I have zoomed in on so I can see something.  In answer to the question that was asked over a year ago, yes, I do clear the cache and cookies.  This thing pops up every time I open a pdf in Chrome.  Given that I am an academic, I have been asked "Did you know that you can clip pdf's [...]?" about 10 times in the past 30 minutes.  Yes, in fact, I know that. If you could give me the exact file path of the cookie, perhaps I can find a way to mark it as a cookie to be kept. I would like to be able to focus on my work without repeated interruption by an advertising pop-up.

Windows 10

Chrome or IE or Edge

The first post about these bloody popups was June 30, 2015. It is now November of 2016. Anyone out there? Hello? The "We're working on it" line isn't good enough. Just stop doing it until you figure out how to do it correctly. 

I use Chrome browser and I get this everywhere I sign in. I'm ready to delete Evernote and find another program. If anyone has a specific solution, please post it. I've had it. 

On 7/11/2015 at 7:31 PM, TheBMan said:

Agreed.  I can see including new features in release notes or (at best) as a single pop-up when a new version of clipper is installed.  The current system is simply annoying and does a disservice to your users.  Better yet, if you've made enhancements to how a few sites are clipped, why not just let us be pleasantly surprised by this when we do eventually clip something from those sites?  

The current behavior is annoying and not useful at all.  I'm hopeful that it will be changed in short order.  Otherwise, I'll be looking forward to the revamped Notes in iOS 9.  It'd be a shame to have to cancel a paid service I've used for so long.

I just finally ditched Evernote for another, better option.  Suggest those of you having issues do the same.  It's quite nice!

As Microsoft have recently released a Mac importer for OneNote I went down that route. Dumps everything in multiple tabs so a bit of work to sort out but the import process went smoothly. I have been using ON for 4 months now and I think I'm done with Evernote. It went from great to bloat and then "We couldn't give a $hit" so, bye-bye...

I too am getting this popup every time I use chrome.  I understand popping it up once to let people use. But a no thanks or some other way to disable this should be included that is permanent independent of cache clearing.  I am ready to uninstall unless a solution is provided in the next month.

I just came here after wasting a lot of time looking for something to turn off this annoying feature. I will rather not use evernote at all than see this over and over and over. This is how mostly good tech companies eventually goes under. NOT LISTENING TO YOUR USERS IS A BAD MISTAKE! For every one of us actually commenting there are probably hundreds thinking and feeling the same. Can you name ONE user who commented how happy they are about this popup?

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, DaveInPhoenix said:

Geesh me too!   I found this thread by searching for how to get rid of the popup on pdf's.

I am Premium user on two accounts and like web clipper for other things but not this darn popup every time I open a pdf. 

I can turn off The PDF popup in the Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 10.18.29 PM.png
Web Clipper options

Folks, I am adding my voice to this thread. Every time I open up a PDF in a window on Chrome I get the pop up suggesting that I try Web Clipper to save the PDF. I am a  psychiatrist using  an electronic medical record  from a company called athenahealth and somehow Evernote seems to have forced its way in. When I open up a PDF within the medical record there is a discreet button near the bottom suggesting I can save the PDF to Evernote. That is acceptable and even is helpful because I can either click on it to do so, or just ignore it. But lately I have been getting the pop-up, obscuring part of the PDF in the upper right-hand corner, suggesting that I try Web Clipper on this PDF. Unlike the discreet button at the bottom, this notification has to be either used or closed.

Evernote is supposed to be "productivity software."  Productivity means getting things done in an efficient manner. Since this constantly is happening in settings where it is not appropriate for me to save this to Evernote as a PDF, it is actually anti-productive.

As a psychiatrist I see many people with ADHD. I have been singing the praises of Evernote for years but this is getting to me and I just discovered this thread today when I googled the problem. I saw in fact that the man from Evernote last year kept on giving us double-talk saying how useful this pop-up was while the users were telling him otherwise. It did not get through and it is amazing that one year later, in fact more than that, Evernote has not fixed this. I noticed that nobody from Evernote responds to this thread anymore.

I am going to find out if I can in fact turn off this notification as DTLow  has suggested but so far I have not found how to get to any web clipper preferences. I did a spotlight search for Web Clipper and I looked in the Evernote preferences. I cannot find Web Clipper preferences.

It is clearly time to bail out. I have been a premium subscriber for a number of years but I am not going to pay to be abused by my software. Abusive is the word for it. An unproductive productivity tool. I have used OneNote in the past and I read the favorable  posts about it above and I'm definitely going to try it. I am also using something called DevonThink it's which is worth looking into because it has very robust retrieval properties.

Web Clipper is in fact incredibly useful particularly for collecting receipts and I been doing this for long time. Why would you tell me to do something I am already doing? 

If I don't find the button that turns it off it is sayonara.

Add me to the list of disgruntled users. I'm seeing this pop-up every time I open a PDF in Chrome, and disabling the "PDF Page Option" -- which is one of the first things I do when installing the Evernote extension -- has no effect.

Very annoying.

I recently started getting the popup every time I open a PDF. It's so annoying that I've disabled web clipper.

Details: The popup says "Evernote Web Clipper. Did you know that you can clip PDF's directly to your Evernote account with the Web Clipper?" I'm using Evernote Web Clipper 6.10.2 on Chrome 54.0.2840.98 (64-bit). I couldn't find any setting to disable this popup. The popup happens in regular mode and incognito mode.

I am likewise getting very frustrated.  I love Evernote, but in the past several weeks I am suddenly getting the popup pictured above EVERY TIME I OPEN A PDF!  (Yes, those are shouty capitals). "Did you know that you can clip PDF's directly to your Evernote account?"  Yes, I know I can use the webclipper. I would not have installed the app if I didn't know what it did.  I don't need a reminder on every new web page - I would have expected one pop up when I first installed, but it has been months since install and the constant pop up issue is new.  It is very, very disruptive to my work flow as a researcher to have to close this box every time I go to a new site (I have also tried clicking "try it out" even when I  don't want to clip the page.  The popup just keeps on showing up.  I would ignore it, but it blocks what I am trying to look at.  I don't see any reason for Evernote to use pop up's at all.  Y'all are great - I know you can do this.  I have faith in you.  Please make it stop.  

Add me to the list of users who are pissed off by the popover box exhorting me to try the web clipper.  Once or twice is enough to inform me that the plug-in provides this functionality.  Now, it is just annoying.  It's even more annoying to see that Evernote has been working on the confessed bug for more than 15 months.  

Guess I'll uninstall the plug-in.  

On 06/07/2015 at 7:32 AM, jbignert said:

We show this because we have built a special capability around clipping.... In my opinion it's worth letting user know about it. 

On 04/09/2015 at 6:36 PM, jbignert said:

No we are not ignoring this. We've made changes to mitigate people seeing popups too often....

I'm adding my voice to this, for what it's worth, though I really don't need to add to this at all. The fact that I and all these other customers are even here reading and commenting in the first place says volumes, but the above comments from Evernote staff—the latter from 15 months ago and the former ("in my opinion") reeking of hubris—is really what says it all.

I too am tired of this spammy pop up interrupting my workflow.  I'm well aware of Web Clipper as well as your pop up that I have to force close 10 times a day, every day.

As I can't wait another 18 months, looks like I am going to have to uninstall.

Screenshot 2017-01-04 09.49.11.png

While working my attention has been diverted thousands of times by this annoying popup .  At 5 seconds per view I formally request reimbursement in the amount of $650 for direct impacts to my productivity and $4,000 for my headaches dealing with your shoddy assumption of how best to use my time.  ;)

Your product marketing team really missed the ball on this one.

I like the clipper and and appreciate the work that has gone into it, but I find the constant pop ups distracting and annoying. When it popped up recently, I found myself thinking "I heard you the 10,000th time.."  How about a checkbox that says "I got it" and then it doesn't pop up again? 

I'm on Firefox with Web Clipper 6.10.2.0 and holy shite these constant popups are driving me insane. I open my browser – popup. I open a pdf – popup. I open Gmail – popup. This is absolutely annoying. And no, I am not clearing cookies and cache and I stay logged in. And even if I did clear my cookies, it would still be a horrible decision to show popups every time.

It's not even just the browser. I open the app, I get popups too ("presentation mode – 3 days left in your preview!"; "is your email still valid?"). So my takeway is this: I have a paid account and still I'm being constantly spammed by Evernote.

Safari and chrome user. Your web clipper pop-up LITERALLY had me go from Premium user straight to uninstalling and never using the extension again. But because the web clipper is the primary way in which I use Evernote, it looks like you lost a customer completely. I deal with PDF's on the web at least 100 times a day between work and school and having to close that pop-up every time is absolutely ridiculous. And by the look of this thread, Evernote has done nothing to fix it for over a year and a half.

Allow me to help: REMOVE THE POP-UP FROM THE APP ENTIRELY.

I should be free to clear my cache whenever I see fit. "Not clearing my cache" is not a solution to this problem. YOU removing the pop-up IS.

Hello - this is also driving me crazy enough to actually bother to go onto a forum to see if I can get rid of it. It is literally every time I open a new browser window in Safari. It is driving me insane. I KNOW THIS FUNCTIONALITY EXISTS! Sometimes I even use it! So why do you keep telling me? You are the only application that is so persistent. 

++1 on providing an option to remove the web clipper popup. The fact that this issue has been ongoing for such a long time is either: a) a clear failure on the part of Evernote to listen to its customers or b ) a clear failure on the part of customers to abandon Evernote. It appears that solving for a is not practical so as the first step in solving for b I suggest that we simply use our search engine of choice and look for: alternatives to evernote.

I'm just following this thread out of a perverse curiosity at just how long it'll take for a company to admit and/or fix a mistake. It's pretty stunning the lack of regard that Evernote is showing its customers.

OK , I don't get the people who are just signing on and complaining , there is a fix its been reported twice in this thread, go to the web clipper settings and tell it not to remind you of the pdf. Clearly many have not come to get information , as usual you come to vent, fill up the thread and it takes me time to find the solution

It would help if the forum had a Solved or Answer feature that promoted the solution to the top of the thread, so I wouldn't be so fast to get angry at others. It would also help to remind others of the solution, which is as follows: Right click on the Evernote icon and choose Options. Under General Options you'll see a setting for PDF Page Button. Deselect the check box for Show Save to Evernote button on PDF pages. These steps were for Chrome on a Mac, your mileage may vary.

It also wouldn't hurt if Evernote had modified the web clipper popup to include an option to turn the feature off directly from the popup. 

@MDR169 @rayd I never found an option to do this on a windows machine.  The limited set of web clipper options had no effect on the popup.  Thus, I uninstalled.

Most disheartening that regardless of whether there is a solution or not a thread with this much activity has zero response from Evernote.  Does not inspire confidence.

@davidalynn Perhaps it's a browser/version issue on PC? I fired up Windows 7 (yeah old, not my main system...) and installed the web clipper extension on Chrome. The option setting instructions worked as on the Mac. Using Web Clipper 10.6.3 running inside Chrome 55.x. I will also note that I have the newish Adobe Acrobat 15.1 plugin and when I browse to a PDF it offers to open it in reader, but also gives me a checkbox right there to disable the feature. I know that Adobe doesn't have a lot of fans but this user experience works the way you expect. 

Just in case - when I say to right click on the Evernote icon (in previous post) I am running the chrome browser and referring to the elephant icon next to the address bar in the browser. I forgot that windows users might think they should right click on the application icon on their desktop, system tray or some other place. Do this from inside your web browser.

@rayd @MDR169

13 hours ago, MDR169 said:

OK , I don't get the people who are just signing on and complaining , there is a fix its been reported twice in this thread, go to the web clipper settings and tell it not to remind you of the pdf. Clearly many have not come to get information , as usual you come to vent, fill up the thread and it takes me time to find the solution

9 hours ago, rayd said:

It would help if the forum had a Solved or Answer feature that promoted the solution to the top of the thread, so I wouldn't be so fast to get angry at others. It would also help to remind others of the solution, which is as follows: Right click on the Evernote icon and choose Options. Under General Options you'll see a setting for PDF Page Button. Deselect the check box for Show Save to Evernote button on PDF pages. These steps were for Chrome on a Mac, your mileage may vary.

It also wouldn't hurt if Evernote had modified the web clipper popup to include an option to turn the feature off directly from the popup. 

Does this (on Chrome + Mac) only disable the rather discreet PDF button, which is not what people are complaining about in this thread, oder does it also disable the constant pop ups (pictured here in this thread), which is what people are mad about?

I'm on the Firefox add on, which doesn't have options at all, but from your wording it sure sounds like this Chrome option is just do deactivate the pdf button.

worble It disables the big square popup with the message "Did you know that you can clip PDFs ..." and the green "Try it out" button. I believe this is the version causing the fuss.

5854584a7394a_ScreenShot2016-12-16at2_05

I agree with you that the "Show Save to Evernote button on PDF pages" option is not well worded. I still see a subtle and not at all annoying button (pill?) on the bottom right corner of PDF web pages.

2017-01-18_10-32-42.png

I installed the Evernote plugin 6.10.1 on Safari 10.0.2  and was also able to make the big square popup go away. Slightly different initial steps, you don't right click on the elephant icon in Safari, just click on it and when the dialog menu appears choose the Options item from the bottom of the menu and deselect the "Show Save to Evernote button on PDF pages" option.

Just for you, I installed FireFox 50.1 and Evernote Web Clipper 6.10.2 on my Mac 10.11.6 (El Capitan), when I access the configuration options the same way I do with Safari (above) I am successful in stopping the big popup.

In all of my testing instances I am logged into Evernote via the appropriate plugin/extension dialog that it pops when you first try to use Evernote from your browser.

I posted this earlier, but it didn't go through until after several more people responded as well. You must log in to be able to get rid of the annoying pop-up telling you to try it out. Once you log in you'll have more options, and be able to disable the annoying ones. But, keep in mind, that you can only log in for 30 days at a time. After 30 days, Evernote plugin will log you out and you will be annoyed once again.

3 hours ago, rayd said:

I installed the Evernote plugin 6.10.1 on Safari 10.0.2  and was also able to make the big square popup go away. Slightly different initial steps, you don't right click on the elephant icon in Safari, just click on it and when the dialog menu appears choose the Options item from the bottom of the menu and deselect the "Show Save to Evernote button on PDF pages" option.

Just for you, I installed FireFox 50.1 and Evernote Web Clipper 6.10.2 on my Mac 10.11.6 (El Capitan), when I access the configuration options the same way I do with Safari (above) I am successful in stopping the big popup.

In all of my testing instances I am logged into Evernote via the appropriate plugin/extension dialog that it pops when you first try to use Evernote from your browser.

Thank you for your troubles, I'll try that and see if it helps.

There used to be an option to turn off the prompt. It's no longer there. I switched to OneNote when Evernote quit letting low-usage people like me share on multiple devices. I'll never use anything enough to justify the high price tag for Evernote Pro. But we all know Evernote does some things better. I reinstalled Clipper in my browser to store things on my computer and found the nasty alerts are back with no way to silence. It's about to go bye-bye again. I'll learn to live with OneNote, limitations and all. 

Per @rayd I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and now unchecking the option box referenced here does make the popup stop.  So my guess is Evernote perhaps did put a fix in place and told nobody.

Extremely poor customer service - what's the point of having a forum if the support people never look at it?  Gives me zero confidence in the company or desire to pay for features.

That said, it does appear perhaps some version update did fix this.  I recommend you uninstall or at least disable the web clipper, reboot, and put it back in and see if you can get rid of the popup.

On 6/30/2015 at 8:00 PM, RogerWazup007 said:

I got sick of the annoying pop-up notification with Web Clipper and uninstalled it. I didn't find anything in the options to disable it. If there's a current or future fix, I might eventually install it again if I think of it.

I'm about to do the same thing. I see this issue has been going on since 2015? What the heck Evernote? What brilliant nitwit thought this was such a good idea to constantly display a popup up with NO WAY for the user to turn it off going forward? In a worst case you should have an option to turn it off on the dialog box itself. Frigging annoying as all hell.

yep. I'm sick of this too. Where do I send my claim for RSI caused by having to close this every time. What is a good replacement for Evernote - it's not cheap and if it no longer works how I like it maybe it is time to move to another solution

i've been getting pissed off by this intrusive "Did you know..." box on my screen when I open a PDF in my Firefox browser (with Windows 7), so I came here looking for a solution. Was very disappointed by Evernote's handling of this, but encouraged by RAYD's remarks, so I tried clicking on the webclipper "elephant face" small icon (up in my browser's control lines, for feature/functions links), and it opens up with an "options" setting at the bottom, that will take you to a checkbox next to "Show save to Evernote button on PDF pages", which I unchecked and SAVE'd. After a limited amount of browsing to other PDF's, it seems to be working (that is, NO F'ing Pop-up box !)   It's webclipper V 6.10.2, also.  I hope like hell that this prevents this box from popping up again in the future, but it may be limited, like someone else said, to only working if you're logged in to Evernote while you're browsing.  BTW, I'm NOT a paying customer, I'm a free version user.

Note to Evernote, you really don't deserve any applause for your denial of customer satisfaction or general inability to inform people here on this particular discussion of how to make your product run satisfactorily. It's been pathetic to read through ALL these notes, to find squat from you !  Why bother hosting a moderated customer forum if you're not going to have an informed, customer-friendly support person monitoring it and improving your customers' satisfaction ?  Glad I'm not actually paying you anything !  I hope that this "turn off the Show Save" button continues to work after I close & open my browser, because I've been getting REAL SICK AND TIRED OF YOUR POP-UP.

Same problem. Every single time I open a pdf link in my (Firefox 51.0.1 (32-bit)) browser, I get this popup. I've clicked the X. I get it. I know I can clip PDF's. I've known that since before the popup. Get rid of it, please! I'm about ready to dump Evernote 6.10.2.0 -- and forget it altogether.

Disabled 'Web Clipper"   addon in Firefox, popup tells me nothing i don't know or wouldn't expect.  Appearing on every PDF opened within Firefox  more than once is too much.   Not being able to dismiss it with the [x] is beyond reason.  I love Evernote but since being reduced to two devices and restricted from using Evernote on android browsers  means I no longer recommend it to any of my friends or computer club members.

Please provide the option to choose not to have webclipper showing desk top - it shows up with documents, emails - it prints on a separate page and wastes paper.  I shouldn't have to remember to click it off.  Once I click it off, it should always be off.

Can you be more specific? What pop-up are you referring to? We show popups only when we think we have something useful to tell you and we only show them once per user. However uninstalling resets this count so IF you choose to install it again you may see them once more. 

I simply uninstalled Evernote.  If they REFUSE to listen and REFUSE to acknowledge the true reason for displaying pop ups is for their own advertising, then to heck with them.  Dumb $****.

Make sure when you uninstall it, to report it as ABUSE to Google Chrome.  Maybe after enough complaints they will kill the Add On.

Still getting this spam 2 years later. Just updated two of my PCs with a fresh install of Windows 10 and they insist on shoving it in your face for every type of website/document it supports - Amazon, YouTube, PDFs, other websites - and across every single device you have it installed on too. Why do I need to be told what it can do when I've been using it for 5 ***** years!? No reason for it to be there other to annoy users. PISS OFF WITH IT. 

Capture.PNG

Seems there are tons of people (the users who pay) who say "NO, we do not hate it". Evernotes implicit reply is that they don't care. Hasta luegos evernote! 

Hello Bear (http://www.bear-writer.com/)

I have used bear for a few months now, and it is in fact more than just a lighter alternative, it is a better product. DONT PAY FOR PREMIUM!

Archived