New Evernote for Windows 5.8.13 GA [Update]

Justin Street

Idea

[uPDATE] We just released an update, 5.8.13. You can download it here

This release has fixed:

• A bug that caused some preferences to be reset when upgrading from the 5.8.9 Beta
  • A bug that caused some notifications to appear too often

Thanks for reporting the issues!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new version of Evernote for Windows is available. You can download it here.

Release notes for 5.8.12:

Faster launch and sync

Numerous fixes and stability improvements

• Fixed OCR bugs
  • Fixed bug where YXBJ customers could not export some notebooks
  • Fixed bug that caused text to be truncated in Account Info for some languages
  • Fixed several bugs which caused the app to freeze
  • 1 security fix -- learn more at https://evernote.com/security/updates#win

Enjoy!

38 replies to this idea

Evernote seems to update a lot, which is fine, but every time it updates it becomes "unpinned" from the taskbar in Windows 7. I know this is a small issue but continually having to repin it is becoming annoying and an eventual fix for this would be great. Thanks!

@dconnet,

Thanks for the honesty.  Not picking at you, just interested as to why this sh!#ing of the bed didn't occur in a QA test?

I think our tests (at the time) only checked the upgrade from the previous version. Upgrading from .11->.12 worked. .9->.12 not so much.

And these fixes are now live, as Justin just posted.

• Level 5*

No idea what the previous version was, but here are the first few lines of the log file immediately after I discovered the database had opened in a different location: it looks like the program is not looking for a previous version of the database and suggesting where to look - a dialog box would be helpful here to allow users to navigate to where the database is.

Most times the update has worked fine, but this is the second time it has happened this year. Fortunately, because I don't trust the updater I always make a backup of my database before I install. Then I set up the database location again (which overwrites the existing database without asking permission, grrr!), and copy my recent backup to the working directory again. Still need to set up the settings, though. Maybe there is another file I need to back up when I back up my database.

Evernote for Windows 5.8.12.8127 (276127) Public
User: xxxxxxx
Memory: 57.7MB
Created: 2015/07/02 17:55:00
---
Bootstrap info: loadedFresh
<bootstrap_info><profile name="Evernote"><settings account_email_domain="m.evernote.com" cardscanUrl="https://cscan.evernote.com/cardagain"enable_facebook_sharing="1" enable_gift_subscriptions="1" enable_google="1" enable_linkedin_sharing="1" enable_shared_notebooks="1" enable_single_notesharing="1" enable_sponsored_accounts="1" enable_support_tickets="1" enable_twitter_sharing="1" marketing_url="https://evernote.com" service_host="www.evernote.com" support_url="https://evernote.com/contact/support/"/></profile></bootstrap_info>
---
  • Level 5*

I generally don't recommend EN Beta's, because they often bring more new bugs than they fix.

However, if the current GA version is unusable for you, you might consider updating to EN Win 5.8.14 Beta (the latest beta, just released).

Before doing so, I would definitely do a full backup of your existing EN Win app and Evernote data folder.

Of course, you could also downgrade.  I'm still running Ver 5.8.4, which works well for me. 

Hello,

Version 5.8.13 is freezing even more for me. Since v.5.8.5.7193, after each upgrade I have to roll back :( , including with this last version which is the worse one.

(Windows 7 Pro)

Thank you

• Level 5*

Have a look at Joplin - http://joplin.cozic.net/

I don't think its ready for serious use yet,  but it is a nice implementation for privacy,  markdown and, er.. less supported OS's My experience -

• The Good:  will sync to your own chosen server / imports from Evernote ENEX / multi-platform -including Linux/ speaks Markdown / can handle code snippets
  • The Bad:  quirky on different versions of Android / unintuitive on first use / attachments only partially integrated (e.g. can't edit picture attached to original Evernote note) / alarms don't work (Win10)

Phaddon, Zwirbel2, and Yakir, 

What version did you upgrade from? Did you have your database location in a custom folder or default location?

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience.

I don't know what version I had in before this one "Evernote for Windows 5.8.12.8127 (276127) Public"

because it appears Evernote doesn't store that information in its text logs.

I have a relatively small SSD as boot/windows and a large E: drive as data.

Evernote was on E:   Now it's used up all the space on my C: drive.

And downloaded over 8GB of data.

Not happy.

How about warning us that an update is going to wipe the entire local database and redownload everything?

Not to mention blowing away our chosen screen layout configurations and resetting everything to default?

Update with care. The update did also wipe my local database and I had to redownload everything (a few GB of data). This was one of the problems in a earlier beta, but they said it had been fixed in a later beta. It seems the bug is still there?

Just updated:

RESET MY CONFIGURATION

NEEDS TO RELOAD ALL MY NOTES

Users - beware

Evernote staff - Please fix this bug ASAP so others don't suffer

:(  :angry:

Phaddon, Zwirbel2, and Yakir, 

What version did you upgrade from? Did you have your database location in a custom folder or default location?

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience.

I did update from the beta version before (I don't remember the exact version but it must have been the last before the GA release). My database is in a custom folder and Evernote now (still) dowonloads to the default folder.

No idea what the previous version was, but here are the first few lines of the log file immediately after I discovered the database had opened in a different location: it looks like the program is not looking for a previous version of the database and suggesting where to look - a dialog box would be helpful here to allow users to navigate to where the database is.

This is a bug in the installer - it mistakenly wiped the registry clean. That's where the database location is stored. We thought we had fixed this before, but that fix caused this one. sigh. This _will_ be fixed in the next update. (I reviewed the code!)

Why does the App show "Upgrade" in the left menu, when it knows I'm logged in with a Premium account?

How can I change the "Evernote local files" database location?  

Currently Evernote is going "hey, he doesn't really want me to close my current database and

open up a different one, what he really wants me to do is copy the current over the target directory,

so I'm going to do that instead!"

I use Evernote daily for almost all of my data and it's things like this, not to mention the chronic slowdowns,

that really make me wonder why.

• Level 5*

1. Why does the App show "Upgrade" in the left menu, when it knows I'm logged in with a Premium account?

2. How can I change the "Evernote local files" database location?  

3. Currently Evernote is going "hey, he doesn't really want me to close my current database and open up a different one, what he really wants me to do is copy the current over the target directory, so I'm going to do that instead!"

I use Evernote daily for almost all of my data and it's things like this, not to mention the chronic slowdowns, that really make me wonder why.

Hi

I added numbers to your post to make this shorter..

1. Because you didn't right-click it and tick "Remove from Sidebar" yet.

2. Tools > Options > General and click Change

3. What exactly re you trying to do?  Evernote doesn't swop database files around,  but you can log out of one account and into another easily and safely.

• Level 5*

I have now found the version from which I updated: 5.8.9.7959.

You mentioned having the database in a custom folder, and it sounds to me like the updated Evernote simply installed itself with the standard folder set and created a new database,  so didn't 'see' your existing notes.  I can imagine that it would be possible to recover the notes from that 'other' database with a little care,  but please don't do anything without checking with Evernote first - they might  have a different fix in mind.

You could

1. File > Exit Evernote
  2. Copy your original database folder from its custom folder to your desktop.  Important backup step.
  3. Restart Evernote
  4. Go to Tools > Options > General and re-set the custom folder destination.
  5. Check for your notes and sync. 

I'm not sure at this stage whether the server will have been updated with a newer blank database and will therefore overwrite your old files again.  This is why you have a copy.

If the sync is good and your notes are preserved,  you can continue as normal.. everything is saved.

If the sync overwrites the original notes,  you can disconnect the internet;  restore the originals again from the backup,  and export them to ENEX files,  one file per notebook.  But depending on the size of your database that could take a while...

Best to see what the Evernoters suggest!  (But you might want to grab that database folder copy just in case...)  ;)

Dear gazumped

Thank you for your help. As all my notes are synced with Evernote, I just relied on redownloading my entire database (about 10 GB), which took me a couple of hours. Next time, I am going to try your way.

Archived