How do I password protect my Evernote on PC?

Hiya

I have Evernote on my Android, it is password protected with an app locker app. It is synced to my PC but on my PC there is no password and I can't fins a similar app in the shop. Any ideas?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  You have a user name and password to access Evernote,  and if someone else might look at your laptop you should lock and protect it with the OS password whenever you step away from the keyboard.  Either logging out or locking the PC will protect your data as far as possible,  though the database stored on your local hard drive is not encrypted and is stored in a standard format so even without logging into Evernote someone with moderate tech knowledge could browse your note content.  It's possible to use third-party software to encrypt part of your hard disk such as Saferoom - http://www.getsaferoom.com/ - which is Evernote-compatible - to avoid that.

Thank you, I wanted more like an individual app locker, its impractical for me to lock down the family computer :/ I downloaded an app locker now and it's locked Evernotw and WONT LET ME BACK IN - so Im miserable :/

• Like 1

Please search

Thank you, I wanted more like an individual app locker, its impractical for me to lock down the family computer :/ I downloaded an app locker now and it's locked Evernotw and WONT LET ME BACK IN - so Im miserable :/

I can't imagine why it's impractical to lock down your computer. Mine shuts down after so many minutes of inactivity. It takes about three seconds to sign back in & IMO, it's ridiculous to leave a computer running in your home and not have it lock after a while or not lock it when you walk away. Authorized family members can easily & quickly unlock it in a matter of seconds.

Another option is Gameprotector. It's free. Please Google it or search the board on it. I have posted about it in the past.

As you can see, when using a password/PIN, it's important to make sure you know & remember the password/PIN.

Good luck.

• Sad 1

Mine shuts down after so many minutes as well. I'm not talking about shutting down the PC, I'm talking about password protecting one particular app. I need to have my PC open at times with no access to certain apps. I'm sorry your imagination cannot accommodate my particular lifestyle.

I shall google Gameprotector. Thank you

I'm not an idiot and do memorise my passwords, the app I downloaded has decided the password I memorised is incorrect.

I hope you do not take such a hectoring tone with all the comments you moderate - I am merely looking for help.

M

• Like 1

Mine shuts down after so many minutes as well. I'm not talking about shutting down the PC, I'm talking about password protecting one particular app. I need to have my PC open at times with no access to certain apps. I'm sorry your imagination cannot accommodate my particular lifestyle.

I shall google Gameprotector. Thank you

I'm not an idiot and do memorise my passwords, the app I downloaded has decided the password I memorised is incorrect.

I hope you do not take such a hectoring tone with all the comments you moderate - I am merely looking for help.

M

We are not talking about shutting down your computer. Locking it does not turn it off. It simply requires a password. This prevents any guests in your home from being able to access the apps and it's silly to not do this, if you leave a computer running.

FWIW, it's more probable that you are misremembering the password rather than the software has decided the correct one is incorrect.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Sorry I meant locking it down. I am working and multitasking so not always using the correct words. My computer locks after a few minutes. As on my phone - I wanted to source an app locker to lock certain apps whilst leaving other things on my computer available for the family. Despite you not being able to imagine why, you have recommended an app that does just that. i suggest you google Gameprotector and read the list of reasons it gives as to why it might be useful.

I have not misremembered a password I thought of literally 30 seconds before using it. I used the app to lock Evernote as soon as it was downloaded and then used the password I had , only moments before, set up, to unlock it again. Oddly some apps are rubbish and go wrong.

Can you please stop calling me ridiculous and silly. The fact that my lifestyle isn't one you can "imagine" doesn't make it "silly", thus the existence of apps such as Gameprotector and the CM app locker on my phone.

I got some genuine good advice from Gazumped, thank you very much for recommending Gameprotector.

i suggest if you have any more insults for me you don't stick them on here to make an already stressful work afternoon more so, but go shout them to your cat or something. 

Thank you

Sorry I meant locking it down. I am working and multitasking so not always using the correct words. My computer locks after a few minutes. As on my phone - I wanted to source an app locker to lock certain apps whilst leaving other things on my computer available for the family. Despite you not being able to imagine why, you have recommended an app that does just that. i suggest you google Gameprotector and read the list of reasons it gives as to why it might be useful.

I have not misremembered a password I thought of literally 30 seconds before using it. I used the app to lock Evernote as soon as it was downloaded and then used the password I had , only moments before, set up, to unlock it again. Oddly some apps are rubbish and go wrong.

Can you please stop calling me ridiculous and silly. The fact that my lifestyle isn't one you can "imagine" doesn't make it "silly", thus the existence of apps such as Gameprotector and the CM app locker on my phone.

I got some genuine good advice from Gazumped, thank you very much for recommending Gameprotector.

i suggest if you have any more insults for me you don't stick them on here to make an already stressful work afternoon more so, but go shout them to your cat or something.

First, I did not call you silly.  I did say leaving an unattended computer running w/o locking it down...is silly, if you have concerns about someone getting into the data on it.  And it is. 

Second, I did not say I could not imagine why an app locker was silly. My statement above clarifies this.

Third, if you could set your emotions aside for a moment, you might be able to see that I am not insulting you.  I am offering suggestions. And since you seem to be confusing so many issues in this very short thread, it would seem to be even more probable that you are misremembering the password. 

I don't make this stuff up.

Once again...good luck.

• 1 year later...

I really do agree with the OP that there should be some way of locking Evernote. It should not be that hard, for instance, for the company to add a feature that password-protects individual notebooks.

And it doesn't require much imagination to see why.  I have Evernote on a shared family computer.  The computer does indeed require a pw to open it up once it sleeps.  Everyone in my family (but not guests) can, thus, access the computer.  So everyone in my family (but not guests) can open Evernote.  So my children can open up the notebooks that my wife and I use to store confidential financial and medical information.  I'd very much rather they couldn't do that -- especially when they have friends over, and unlock the computer and allow them to use it.  It seems very odd to me that Evernote has never thought about this simple but (in my opinion) essential security feature.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 minutes ago, RobertG said:

I really do agree with the OP that there should be some way of locking Evernote. It should not be that hard, for instance, for the company to add a feature that password-protects individual notebooks.

And it doesn't require much imagination to see why.  I have Evernote on a shared family computer.  The computer does indeed require a pw to open it up once it sleeps.  Everyone in my family (but not guests) can, thus, access the computer.  So everyone in my family (but not guests) can open Evernote.  So my children can open up the notebooks that my wife and I use to store confidential financial and medical information.  I'd very much rather they couldn't do that -- especially when they have friends over, and unlock the computer and allow them to use it.  It seems very odd to me that Evernote has never thought about this simple but (in my opinion) essential security feature.

Not addressing your assessment of the work required, did you take note that Evernote has a userid/password that controls access to your data.  If the use cases you noted were a concern to me, I'd sign out of Evernote.

• Level 5*
On 9/23/2016 at 2:39 PM, RobertG said:

Your computer also allows you to  set up different accounts; you can lock yours (or log out altogether), and someone else can log in under a different account. Your operating system has already provided you with the essential security features to easily solve this problem.

• 2 months later...

The responses to Merry are the rudest tech support responses I have ever read.  I have the same desire Merry did to have an app lock for my Windows 7 PC desktop  THE SAME WAY I DO ON MY IPAD.  Why can't you folks just admit up front that Evernote does not provide such an app lock for the desktop.  THEN you can make your useless suggestions.  As soon as my Evernote subscription runs out, you can bet I will cancel the automatic re-up.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Kay La said:

The responses to Merry are the rudest tech support responses I have ever read.  I have the same desire Merry did to have an app lock for my Windows 7 PC desktop  THE SAME WAY I DO ON MY IPAD.

I don't know what you've been hearing from Tech Support, but this is a user discussion help  forum and we're just users here

The PIN feature has been requested.
You might want to show your support, and add your vote to the request shown below; voting buttons in the left top corner of the discussion

• 1 month later...

I've not taken the time to read through every comment as it's kind of hard to get through a lot of it. I would like to request the option to password protect at the very lease individual notebooks.  I'm one that uses Evernote for both personal and work use.  Since my IT dept has access to log on to my computer at any time, It would be a great feature to be able to password protect the desktop app notebooks from prying eyes.  I don't want to lock the entire desktop program because I use one folder where I scan my expense receipts in using scannable and that is how I do my expenses.  I share the notebook with our CFO.  If the App had to be locked, he would have to have access to the password.  I've come to learn that as a whole if Evernote is used for personal only, or on iOS only, it's great but if you use it in a company setting, and the company allows you to use it, it is quite unsafe from others gaining access.  

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, hubieonekanubie said:

It would be a great feature to be able to password protect the desktop app notebooks from prying eyes.

I think you're in the wrong discussion - try

• Level 5*

Thanks for the suggestion.  You appear to have the location of the database wrong in your script.  From most recent updates it is now in C:\Users\<USER>\Evernote\Databases

Will this affect its operation?

• 1 month later...

Not sure if others will find this helpful, but I have Evernote (desktop version) on my Mac and I can log in and out of it each time I use it. In the top menu, I click "Evernote" and then "Sign Out." Voila. Now no one can see any of my notebooks on my desktop. (I think this is what DTLow was referring to in this thread.)

Seems like this would work fine for a multi-user computer, though not for someone who needs to lock only certain notebooks. 

FWIW, I'm a Premium user at the moment. Hopefully this feature is available to all (especially since I'm probably not going to renew my Premium license when it runs out; it's gotten too expensive for my needs).

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Seems like this would work fine for a multi-user computer, though not for someone who needs to lock only certain notebooks. 

Note: this is a Windows-specific subforum. But anyways, a multi-user computer should have separate accounts set up for each user. Evernote will locate each user's database separately, and all will be well. Log in to your account, use Evernote, log out of your account. Or log in, use Evernote, sleep your account, someone else can log into their account separately. Or whatever. I'm sure it all works this way, or similarly, on Macs.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I came here looking for the same answer as the OP. So to summarize the actual answer to the question asked, instead of the various workarounds being preached in this thread: there is no native PIN or password lock for the EN desktop app on Windows, other than simply signing out of the app. There may be third party apps that do this, such as Gameprotector. Still, others may still be able to see your content if they know how to navigate to the EN database, which is not encrypted.

Hope this saves time for the next person who is just looking for the answer to the question posed.

• Like 6
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have the same question that many users had in this thread. To give a clear answer:

Evernote does NOT support a password on the Windows or Mac client.

You are probably better off NOT asking about this in this forum, instead, ask Evernote directly if you are a premium customer. Maybe if enough people ask at some point they will add at least a simple pincode.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 2018-03-05 at 11:43 AM, jagemeister said:

Evernote supports an account password on all platforms, including Windows and Mac.

There is no pincode/passcode feature on the Windows/Mac platforms; it's more of a mobile thing.  I use touchid on my iPad (fingerprint).

>>You are probably better off NOT asking about this in this forum, instead, ask Evernote directly if you are a premium customer.

This forum is a good place to post on technical issues.

If you have a feature request, post in the feature request forum (sample below), or review existing posts and indicate your support using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion.

• Level 5*
On 3/5/2018 at 2:43 PM, jagemeister said:

I have the same question that many users had in this thread. To give a clear answer:

Clear? Yes. Correct? No. Correct answer: yes, Evernote supports a password on the Windows client (Mac too, evidently). If you sign out of your Evernote account on Windows (File / Sign out  <youremailaddress.com>), you'll need to enter your password to use it again.

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, jefito said:

Clear? Yes. Correct? No. Correct answer: yes, Evernote supports a password on the Windows client (Mac to, evidently). If you sign out of your Evernote account on Windows (File / Sign out  <youremailaddress.com>), you'll need to enter your password to use it again.

Or just good old Windows-L when you leave your machine....

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Or get Windows 10 Pro, install and configure Bitlocker, then shut down your machine when you leave it... Is it a PITA? Yes. Is it secure? If you believe Microsoft yes - truth is, I don't know for sure. I have it installed on my work laptop, so some corporate IT departments must believe it is secure!

Hello Merry!

I found this thread as i also wanted to see if there was a way to add an easy password or pin code lock to the Evernote app, similar to the way i do on my phone. The best option i have found is to log in and out every time.. not as convenient but better safe than sorry. To log out you will see your email in the top left corner of the app screen, if you click on it, an option to sign out comes up then when you next load up Evernote, it brings you to the standard sign in page. Hope this helps 

• Level 5*

10 hours ago, stephlautho said:

The best option i have found is to log in and out every time.

As you said the win/mac platforms don't support the passcode feature we have on the mobile platforms.

I found the best option was to have a timeout on my computer.  After a set time of no activity, a password is required for access.  This protects the entire computer as well as my Evernote account.

I avoid logging out of my Evernote account.   I'm not able to log back in without an internet connection.

• 2 months later...

if just logging out of windows to protect evernote security is the only solution; then why introduce passcode for mobile app? why not just lock the phone when you stop using your phone, and set it to ask for pin/fingerprint when phone needs to be used?

• Level 5*
On 5/28/2018 at 1:06 AM, fxsimba said:

if just logging out of windows to protect evernote security is the only solution

Using a time-out password is also a good idea.

>>why introduce passcode for mobile app

This feature was requested because are devices were ....mobile and shared.

There is a request for the same feature on the desktop apps.  Please consider adding your vote.

• Level 5*
On 5/28/2018 at 4:06 AM, fxsimba said:

if just logging out of windows to protect evernote security is the only solution

Well it isn't, as has been reported widely, right here in this topic even...

On 3/20/2018 at 4:50 PM, CalS said:

Or just good old Windows-L when you leave your machine....

For those that missed it, WIN+L  (or CTRL+ALT+DEL, then ENTER)  locks Windows immediately.  And with a laptop, lock when the lid is closed (it sleeps). 

While having the screensaver timeout and lock the pc again is a good idea, just being in the habit of hitting WIN+L when you get up and walk away prevent anyone, especially fast moving kids, from jumping onto your account immediately after you left (which if they are impatient for their turn, or racing their siblings for the computer, they will do).  [They can then easily log into their (or the kids account), which homes should setup, if only to prevent the accidental deletion of important work or reading emails not meant for them.]

• Like 1

my point is that most "Gurus" here on the thread are arguing that PC's should have different user profiles if shared by multiple users - logging out should fix the concern of others checking your notes out.

Why don't they then argue the same with mobiles? what was the purpose of the evernote team to waste valuable resources to make an in-app passlock protection, when mobile devices themselves have their own security. And since when are personal mobile phones shared between users? --> same argument can be used that PC's are shared between multiple users (on the same profile) especially at home environments. 

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, fxsimba said:

my point is that most "Gurus" here on the thread are arguing

You're welcome to add your support to the request for  "in-app passlock protection".

My point is to answer the question "How do I password protect my Evernote on PC?"

23 minutes ago, fxsimba said:

my point is that most "Gurus" here on the thread are arguing that PC's should have different user profiles if shared by multiple users - logging out should fix the concern of others checking your notes out.

Why don't they then argue the same with mobiles? what was the purpose of the evernote team to waste valuable resources to make an in-app passlock protection, when mobile devices themselves have their own security. And since when are personal mobile phones shared between users? --> same argument can be used that PC's are shared between multiple users (on the same profile) especially at home environments. 

It sounded like the original poster was using a 3rd party app to lock Evernote, above and beyond just locking the phone, and was looking for something similar on the PC, hence the discussion.  Beyond locking the PC, or localing encrypted storage, I haven't looked for any (but I might, more for a program to keep from procrastinating playing games ? )  [Is there a lock on the Evernote App?  I use the desktop version]

On mobile you can setup a guest account or additional users (well you can on Android 7 / LineageOS 14.1), and that seems like a good idea for people to setup and use as phones often contain a lot of private information or access to accounts [I've been meaning to, more for when friends kids want to borrow my phone, as otherwise most people have their own devices and if they are using my phone, it's to access my data]

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, fxsimba said:

my point is that most "Gurus" here on the thread are arguing that PC's should have different user profiles if shared by multiple users

Your point is academic; most "gurus" here are not saying that, and even if they were, you've been given a simple way to lock down your Evernote account and require a password to open it up again, and you seem to want to continue to argue on anyways. You log out of your Evernote account (File / SIgn out..., or Alt+F, o if you want to use the keyboard); done. You do not need separate Windows accounts for this. Of course, if you're insistent about sharing your account with other users, then it's easy enough to spelunk the Evernote database for your content, just like they can happily browse through your Word or Excel or PDF files. So do you want security or don't you?

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2015 at 9:00 AM, BurgersNFries said:

Please search

I can't imagine why it's impractical to lock down your computer. Mine shuts down after so many minutes of inactivity. It takes about three seconds to sign back in & IMO, it's ridiculous to leave a computer running in your home and not have it lock after a while or not lock it when you walk away. Authorized family members can easily & quickly unlock it in a matter of seconds.

Another option is Gameprotector. It's free. Please Google it or search the board on it. I have posted about it in the past.

As you can see, when using a password/PIN, it's important to make sure you know & remember the password/PIN.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Hi merry,

I had the same question and answer is Evernote doesn't have this function. 

You should try OneNote which can lock notebooks separately, or if you use Mac, try Ulysses which locks all your notebooks.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, Piglet said:

I had the same question and answer is Evernote doesn't have this function. 

The answer is the same.  On a PC, your Evernote data is protected; to access your data, you have to enter a userid and password.

• 1 month later...

Did they ever resolve this?

I don't want to lock my PC and have to re-enter a password every x minutes I happen to pop away for cuppa or whatever

, just want a pin or passcode so the occasional times I use evernote I can just pop it in. 

There must be a dozen threads with this that come up in Google, it's clearly a user requested feature.

We have it on our phones and they also require a password to get in so that is a redundant response.

Just a simple 4 digit pin would suffice, something so somebody steals the PC or something they can't directly acccess evernote.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, sharrison said:

No change; PIN/Passcode has not  been implemented on the Windows/Mac platforms.

>>I don't want to lock my PC and have to re-enter a password every x minutes I happen to pop away for cuppa or whatever

I implemented a proximity lock.  It triggers when I (iPhone) approaches/leaves  
I prefer a fingerprint unlock instead of entering a password

• Level 5
16 hours ago, sharrison said:

I don't want to lock my PC and have to re-enter a password every x minutes I happen to pop away for cuppa or whatever

, just want a pin or passcode so the occasional times I use evernote I can just pop it in. 

There must be a dozen threads with this that come up in Google, it's clearly a user requested feature.

We have it on our phones and they also require a password to get in so that is a redundant response.

Just a simple 4 digit pin would suffice, something so somebody steals the PC or something they can't directly acccess evernote.

I am talking entirely through my hat, as they used to say, i.e., I have no actual knowledge of whether this would work, but I wonder if it would be possible to encrypt the folder in which the Evernote database is stored, so that EN could not run without entering the password for the folder. Looking at a Tom's Guide article, the ability to do this seems to be dependent on your version of Windows, and may only mean that the folder becomes accessible when you enter a general Windows account password--which sounds like the very thing you're trying to avoid. So this may be a dead end; but depending on your situation, it might be worth a thought.

• Level 5*

When I'm working in an open office,  it's second nature to Ctrl+L lock the screen as I get up,  and hit space and my password when I sit back down.  I'll do that even getting a cup of coffee in plain site of my desk since you can never avoid another coffee addict dragging you into a conversation or off to lunch.  The password can be as simple or as complex as you like,  so four numbers should work fine if you prefer it.  For a more effective protection it's better to sign out of Evernote and use your user-name / password to get back in.

There are (I believe) some apps around that will 'hide' or 'lock' folders,  but that seems unnecessary when a couple of keys will do the job.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I am talking entirely through my hat, as they used to say, i.e., I have no actual knowledge of whether this would work, but I wonder if it would be possible to encrypt the folder in which the Evernote database is stored, so that EN could not run without entering the password for the folder. Looking at a Tom's Guide article, the ability to do this seems to be dependent on your version of Windows, and may only mean that the folder becomes accessible when you enter a general Windows account password--which sounds like the very thing you're trying to avoid. So this may be a dead end; but depending on your situation, it might be worth a thought.

If I read it right the folders/files are available when the Windows login is used.  At that point they are available.  So the same issue as being discussed here exists.  No PIN other than the standard Windows lock.  I think....

Now there is the upside of the folders being encrypted and unaccessible without your credentials.

• 2 years later...

I have just upgraded to Evernote Premium in the hope that the PC app would have a lock under the Premium package. Now I am highly disappointed and wish I could get back my money. I mostly use Evernote to store sensitive business information that I wouldn't want others to access. So the lock on the mobile app is very convenient. The lack of a lock on the corresponding PC app has forced me to uninstall it. It completely undermines the reason why I use Evernote; to secure my info. In my work I typically let me colleagues use my PC  now and then. So  Ican't afford to have an unlocked Evernote with all my sensitive information freely accessible. I think its a very important feature that Evernote are leaving out of their app by not locking the PC app. It just doesn't make any sense why they assume everyone will be happy with logging in and out of their Evernote app everytime they share their PC. Why not just built a simple feature that has been repeatedly requested by the community? You don't have to encrypt all the files stored within it, just make the app interface accessible through a global password. Build an app that I can feel comfortable having on my PC with the same security considerations as the mobile app. Build a password into your PC app or lose customers to your competitors.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, kenwes said:

just make the app interface accessible through a global password

We definitely have a "global password" to access our accounts
The Passcode request discussion is Here (edit:fixed)

• 1 year later...

Well, six years on and it looks like it's just not going to happen.

My layman's guess: they don't want to implement an app lock on Windows because they would have to work on locking the EN database as well, which must be a PITA to do, and they have other priorities. Enabling a lock for the UI only and leaving the database exposed would make them look ridiculous (rightly so). 

• 1 year later...

It has been years but EN does not solve this issue. I hope there is a valid reason behind that. Sometimes I am writing personal notes but my children using my Macbook sometimes. I would use EN more often if there was a password. I dont even activate and forget that I have this app. 

• Level 5*
On 6/18/2023 at 12:20 AM, hoaltay said:

It has been years but EN does not solve this issue. I hope there is a valid reason behind that. Sometimes I am writing personal notes but my children using my Macbook sometimes. I would use EN more often if there was a password. I dont even activate and forget that I have this app. 

You're posting in the Legacy thread,  which is no longer supported.  If you are using v10,  Evernote has a 'sign out' option which protects it by user ID and you can add 2-factor authorisation.  To protect your personal data on a Mac is more a Mac problem - see their help pages for how to add a user account so you can protect your own access and give your children their own appropriate level.

On 6/25/2015 at 10:53 AM, merry said:

Hiya

I have Evernote on my Android, it is password protected with an app locker app. It is synced to my PC but on my PC there is no password and I can't fins a similar app in the shop. Any ideas?

On my Android phone, I have activated the passcode and biometrics (Fingerprint) to unlock EN.  Other than logging into User Account on the PC, there is no other App Lock for EN