Can't copy and paste properly from Evernote to Word or Blog

Hi,

I selected the whole text of one of my Evernote notes then copied and tried to paste it in my web blog (Wordpress).

However, although I have tried several paste options (ie. paste as text, unformatted text, clear formatting, etc.), Evernote margins seem to have transferred along with the document, causing unreasonable hyphenations at the line ends and formatting errors on the document.

I have tried to paste my selection to text editor and Word as well, and got exactly the same errors.

Does anyone know why is this happening?

I will have to quit using Evernote to keep my notes if I can not fix this problem.

It was not happening before btw.

Thanks. 

• Level 5*

Hi - are these notes you have typed,  or are they clips from other applications or web pages?  I don't have anything to test this against but it sounds like some kind of style is being copied along with the text,  even if you paste 'as text'.  If you have a pure text editor,  try pasting into that and then copy and paste from there into your blog. 

Whether or not that works I can't think of a fix or a viable work-around apart from the double copy/ paste - there are others around here who will be better able to help;  maybe they can offer a suggestion...

• Level 5*

Hi,

I selected the whole text of one of my Evernote notes then copied and tried to paste it in my web blog (Wordpress).

However, although I have tried several paste options (ie. paste as text, unformatted text, clear formatting, etc.), Evernote margins seem to have transferred along with the document, causing unreasonable hyphenations at the line ends and formatting errors on the document.

I have tried to paste my selection to text editor and Word as well, and got exactly the same errors.

Evernote introduced a number of copy/paste bugs with Ver 6.0.13.  Most of these seem to be associated with tables, but not all.

Until Evernote releases an update that fixes these bugs. you might try using the Evernote menu Format > Simplify Formatting option on the entire Note to see if that will then allow you to copy/paste as you expect.

Of course, after you paste into Word, you can select the text, and apply different margins using the Word tools.

If you're still having trouble, please let us know which versions you are running:

• EN Mac
  • Mac OS
  • MS Word

Hi,

Evernote introduced a number of copy/paste bugs with Ver 6.0.13.  Most of these seem to be associated with tables, but not all.

Until Evernote releases an update that fixes these bugs. you might try using the Evernote menu Format > Simplify Formatting option on the entire Note to see if that will then allow you to copy/paste as you expect.

Of course, after you paste into Word, you can select the text, and apply different margins using the Word tools.

If you're still having trouble, please let us know which versions you are running:

• EN Mac
  • Mac OS
  • MS Word

Hi,

I am running Evernote on a MacBook Pro with 10.10.3 Yosemite.

I have tried to paste the selected text on to my Wordpress blog's new page text field.

Having faced the referred problems I have then tried to paste the selection on to Word 2011 (Mac) and Apple Text Editor.

Had the same problems there as well.

I have tried to remove ALL formatting from the text - Didn't work.

I have tried to change the margins - Didn't work (words at the end of the lines kept cutting to the beginning of the next line depending on the margin's set point).

It seems like Evernote uses a kind of format that is not removable in any way.

This makes it a very inconvenient App if the user is taking notes in Evernote to post them to a blog or a Word document later.

This must be a killer bug for such an App.

Hi,

• EN Mac
  • Mac OS
  • MS Word

Hi,

I am running Evernote on a MacBook Pro with 10.10.3 Yosemite.

I have tried to paste the selected text on to my Wordpress blog's new page text field.

Having faced the referred problems I have then tried to paste the selection on to Word 2011 (Mac) and Apple Text Editor.

Had the same problems there as well.

I have tried to remove ALL formatting from the text - Didn't work.

I have tried to change the margins - Didn't work (words at the end of the lines kept cutting to the beginning of the next line depending on the margin's set point).

It seems like Evernote uses a kind of format that is not removable in any way.

This makes it a very inconvenient App if the user is taking notes in Evernote to post them to a blog or a Word document later.

This must be a killer bug for such an App.

BTW, noticed that I am using Evernote v 6.10.11.

I will try to update and see if the problems still there.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Thanks.

I'm not sure that's advisable.   Ver 6.0.13 made formatting issues worse, not better.

Did you create the EN Note with the copy/paste issue by typing, or clipping/copy of a web page?

I am not seeing any change in Word margin when I paste text from a Note I typed in Evernote.

However, when I did a copy/paste from a Note created by the FF EN Web Clipper, it did change both the orientation and margins.

But it was easy enough in Word to select the whole document, and change the margins using the Word ribbon Layout > Margins > Narrow  (of course I could have chose any margin preset I wanted).

I'm running EN Mac 6.0.11 and MS Word 2011 Mac on Mavericks (10.9.5)

Hi,

Thanks.

I'm not sure that's advisable.   Ver 6.0.13 made formatting issues worse, not better.

Did you create the EN Note with the copy/paste issue by typing, or clipping/copy of a web page?

I am not seeing any change in Word margin when I paste text from a Note I typed in Evernote.

However, when I did a copy/paste from a Note created by the FF EN Web Clipper, it did change both the orientation and margins.

But it was easy enough in Word to select the whole document, and change the margins using the Word ribbon Layout > Margins > Narrow  (of course I could have chose any margin preset I wanted).

I'm running EN Mac 6.0.11 and MS Word 2011 Mac on Mavericks (10.9.5)

Hi,

Unfortunately 6.0.13 update did not sort out the problem.

I am trying to copy the text (note) that I had composed. It is not a web clipping.

I see that you are running on Mavericks OS not Yosemite like me.

May be the problem is related to a conflict with Yosemite??

It is strange as I did not have any issues like this before.

I am used to copy and paste from Evernote to my blog.

I do not understand what is happening now...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

In 6.0.14+ we have added a lot of copy/paste fixes. Please let us know how it goes. 

If you have issues, please report the version(s) of software that we're not interacting well with.

I have just spent about 8 hours today writing a restaurant menu into evernote... lot's of text.

Now I want to copy/paste this text into Google Drive and the text it's unformatted :(

How do I fix this? I worked all day for this.

P.S. I'm on windows using the latest version.

• Level 5*

I have just spent about 8 hours today writing a restaurant menu into evernote... lot's of text.

Now I want to copy/paste this text into Google Drive and the text it's unformatted :(

How do I fix this? I worked all day for this.

P.S. I'm on windows using the latest version.

You can try:

1. Copy/Paste to a word processor like MS Word
  2. Export as HTML, and import to Google Drive or other app

In the future, I would highly recommend NOT using Evernote to create any complicated (or even semi-complicated) document.  You are far better off using another app (like MS Word), and then attaching the file to an EN Note.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still seeing this issue with Evernote 6.0.16 on OS X 10.10.4. If I try to copy text I composed in a note and paste it into Word 2011, it wraps lines right in the middle of words, line breaks are off, etc. Doesn't matter whether I used the Simplify Formatting option before I copy paste or not. It doesn't even work if I convert the note to plain text first.

It used to work like a charm, but this has been happening of the past month or so. My only solution is to paste the text into a plain text editor first, and then copy paste that to Word. Not ideal.

woodtang, do you have a note you could share with us? If so, please PM me a public link directly.

Thanks for following up. I'm still trying to pin down when and how it happens. I'm seeing inconsistent results depending on how I create the note and when the problem comes through after I paste it into Word. Something changed, I can tell that, because I never had this issue before. But now I'm not positive it's coming from Evernote. I'll post here again when I narrow it down.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a similar problem (that hadn't been there in previous versions this Spring). I type a note in Evernote. Then copy and paste the note contents into Word. There is an invisible character that is copied over - it is a non-breaking space! This causes the right margin to look weird because Word sees a whole phrase as a single 'word'. Oddly, there are also normal spaces intermixed, I don't know why.

As a work around, in Word, do an advanced find and replace then under Special, choose nonbreaking space  (in Find What, put:  ^s), for Replace type a space. Then replace all (or one at a time until you feel confident.)

I am using Evernote 6.0.16

Mac OS: Yosemite version 10.10.5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just experienced some crazy copy and paste issues with Pages that couldn't be resolved with the "simplify formatting" OR "make plain text" functions. Basically, sentences and words were randomly breaking to the next line. Deleting them and writing them manually in the document, oddly, only replicated the issue. The issue also carried over when I tried creating a new document and pasting there.

Exporting the note as HTML and then copying and pasting from there worked, but that was going to take me forever. 

Seems to me that spaces are improperly exported. I've been pasting into Pages and finally figured out what was going on when I hit "show invisibles". Proper spaces are marked with a little circle, but these spaces displayed as a little circle with a circumflex (^) above it.

I resolved the issue by hitting apple-F and then opening the gear option to select "find and replace". I copied one of those incorrect spaces and pasted it into the "find" field. It pasted as a regular/invisible space. Then I went to the "replace" field and typed in a space using the space bar. Then I hit "replace all" and that fixed all my problems!

Evernote, please fix this!!! I'm using Evernote to write a cookbook and thought for a minute that I'd have to re-type all of my recipes, which would inevitably introduce more typos. 

Yeah, I experience this too - weird sentence / line breaks. The real culprit is the non-breaking space that Evernote is inserting rather than space. Its like the space bar has been assigned non-breaking space. However, sometimes a regular space is inserted. Don't know why.

If you are using Pages, Word, or other text editor - look for the invisible character called a non-breaking space - replace this with a space.  My life has improved with Evernote since figuring this out.

I have thousands of notes and don't want to ditch this tool as it is sooo useful.

I just experienced some crazy copy and paste issues with Pages that couldn't be resolved with the "simplify formatting" OR "make plain text" functions. Basically, sentences and words were randomly breaking to the next line. Deleting them and writing them manually in the document, oddly, only replicated the issue. The issue also carried over when I tried creating a new document and pasting there.

Exporting the note as HTML and then copying and pasting from there worked, but that was going to take me forever. 

Seems to me that spaces are improperly exported. I've been pasting into Pages and finally figured out what was going on when I hit "show invisibles". Proper spaces are marked with a little circle, but these spaces displayed as a little circle with a circumflex (^) above it.

I resolved the issue by hitting apple-F and then opening the gear option to select "find and replace". I copied one of those incorrect spaces and pasted it into the "find" field. It pasted as a regular/invisible space. Then I went to the "replace" field and typed in a space using the space bar. Then I hit "replace all" and that fixed all my problems!

Evernote, please fix this!!! I'm using Evernote to write a cookbook and thought for a minute that I'd have to re-type all of my recipes, which would inevitably introduce more typos. 

Yes. I'm still seeing it. When I copy text from a webpage and then Paste and Match Style into evernote, the text looks fine in evernote, but when I copy and paste it anywhere else, all the spaces are non-breaking so I get the messed up line wrapping. (Version 6.1.1 (452254 App Store))

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Yes, this is still happening, and I can duplicate it 100%. I'm using Evernote 6.1.1 and OS X 10.10.5.

If you type a paragraph in a text-only text processor (BBEdit, in my case) then paste it into Evernote, it generally looks okay on the screen. But if you try to print it or Save as PDF from Evernote, you'll discover that all the spaces have turned into non-breaking spaces, and therefore on the print version words will break and wrap in unusual places — in the middle of a word, when space on the line runs out, or after another break point such as a hyphen. To confirm this is the cause of the odd print formatting, copy the text from the note and paste it into Microsoft Word, where you can view invisibles and see that all the spaces are now nonbreaking spaces. The same thing happens when copying a block of text from a website and pasting into a note.

If you're a glutton for punishment (or a developer trying to fix this), you can use find and replace in Word to change all the spaces back from non-breaking spaces to normal spaces and then copy and paste it back into Evernote — where all the spaces will once again turn into non-breaking spaces and a printout or save as PDF will once again look strange.

One additional note: this seems to happen only if text is pasted in to Evernote, not imported using the Import... function.

Hope this helps — and that you're able to fix it soon. (I just converted all my recipes to Evernote from Devonthink and found this when I started adding new ones.)

• 3 months later...

Ah, that non-breaking space! It's been messing me up all day! I'm so glad I found this thread. When did that start? I've never had this issue before. I mean, I suppose it's easy enough to fix, but now I feel like i have to be on guard all the time when all I want to do is cut and paste and be done with it. Thanks for solving the issue!

• Level 5*
On 10/12/2015 at 6:08 AM, Rich M. said:

Yes, this is still happening, and I can duplicate it 100%. I'm using Evernote 6.1.1 and OS X 10.10.5.

If you type a paragraph in a text-only text processor (BBEdit, in my case) then paste it into Evernote, it generally looks okay on the screen. But if you try to print it or Save as PDF from Evernote, you'll discover that all the spaces have turned into non-breaking spaces, and therefore on the print version words will break and wrap in unusual places — in the middle of a word, when space on the line runs out, or after another break point such as a hyphen. To confirm this is the cause of the odd print formatting, copy the text from the note and paste it into Microsoft Word, where you can view invisibles and see that all the spaces are now nonbreaking spaces.

I am NOT seeing this behavior in EN Mac 6.4 on Yosemite (10.10.5).  Perhaps it got fixed since Ver 6.1.1.

I don't have any issues with non-breaking spaces.

• 3 months later...

Not sure why Evernote can't be bothered to fix this but I have found a super simple fix for it (or at least to the original problem)

Copy your text from Evernote, paste it into the body of an email - I'm using Mail on a Mac - not sure if it will work with anything else.

Copy and paste that into Pages or whatever and all the problems go away.

It's not a brilliant solution, but it does save a lot of grief.

Hope that helps (a little)

• Level 5*
On 4/30/2016 at 11:48 AM, Sion Smith said:

Copy your text from Evernote, paste it into the body of an email - I'm using Mail on a Mac - not sure if it will work with anything else.

Copy and paste that into Pages or whatever and all the problems go away.

I have NOT tested this, but using TextEdit instead of Apple Mail should work in the same way, and is easier to just create a temp document in TextEdit.

You would think that would work - but it doesn't. The only fix I have found is by pasting into Apple Mail - I guess the only way to provide a comprehensive list of things that work is for users to try it and post their success stories here for others. 

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to use EN to compose the text of blog posts because it's easy to access anywhere and pickup right where I left off. However, when I finally paste it into my wordpress blog, I end up with a blank line between each paragraph.

I understand that I am creating the blank line in EN, but there's really no way to see a paragraph change in EN without a blank line.

It would be very helpful to have an option in EN to display a larger line spacing after each paragraph, to avoid the issue of manual line double spacing.

Actually, here in the forum it's awesome. You can hit enter and see that you're in a new paragraph because it's spaced about 1.5 lines after each paragraph break/enter.

1 hour ago, rdenzel said:

I've been trying to use EN to compose the text of blog posts because it's easy to access anywhere and pickup right where I left off. However, when I finally paste it into my wordpress blog, I end up with a blank line between each paragraph.

I understand that I am creating the blank line in EN, but there's really no way to see a paragraph change in EN without a blank line.

It would be very helpful to have an option in EN to display a larger line spacing after each paragraph, to avoid the issue of manual line double spacing.

Actually, here in the forum it's awesome. You can hit enter and see that you're in a new paragraph because it's spaced about 1.5 lines after each paragraph break/enter.

Hi there @rdenzel, thanks for posting.

I'd encourage you to post this in the Mac Product Feedback thread so you and others can vote on it and let our dev team and product team know how many of you are requesting this. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

I am unable to cut and paste my photos from catalogs into Evernote for my inventory of stamps and supplies.  I do not have a Mac.  I had the same issue a month or so ago and my computer guy had me use Internet Explorer instead of Google Chrome and it worked.  Now it won't work using either of them.  Any suggestions?

Hi, just coming back to the original topic of how to copy/past from Evernote into MS Word.

On my machine, like the original poster described, simple copy/paste would not copy the images (for whatever reason).

I found however, that you can in Firefox use add-on scrapbook as an intermediate step and then the process works just fine.

I use https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/scrapbook-x/ but there are other derivatives.

• Open Evernote note in web interface
  • Select the part you want to copy/paste and choose "Save Selection" from context menu.
  • Load the saved page
  • Copy to clipboard the part you want and paste into MS Word

Good luck.

However, the question remains, why it does not work directly from Evernote.

• 2 months later...

In trying to move an outline created in EN to MS Word on a Mac, I've had similar formatting problems. My workaround was:

• Highlight all EN text, FORMAT - Simplify Formatting
  • R Click on Note body, select Convert Note to PDF
  • Download new PDF note and open with Adobe
  • FILE - SAVE AS OTHER - MS Word
  • Open MS Word file that looks just like the original EN file

If there is a simpler copy/paste solution that's been developed in the interim for moving EN to Word, I'd love to hear it as well.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, mhan said:

Hello,

Has there been any progress on this issue? I'm still unable to copy and paste from Evernote into Word or Pages without that strange non-breaking space issue. Please help!!!

Hi @mhan, I would recommend submitting a support ticket regarding this so we can grab some information on you and possibly send this to our Technical Support team. If you let me know the ticket number here, I'll be able to follow up on it for you. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, I have this same issue every time I copy and paste from Evernote into Wordpress. The work around of deleting the nonbreaking space in Microsoft Word solved it, but it's tedious to manually copy and paste out of Evernote, manually fix the issue in Word, and then copy and paste into Wordpress. Any fix in sight? Otherwise I'll just have to go back to writing in Google Docs :( 

If it's relevant: I am using a Mac, running Sierra, I have the Evernote Mac app and use the online version. 

• 4 weeks later...

I can' copy from evernote to word document or power point, even I am not able to move my clipped parts in the note - VERY DISAPPOINTING WITHT EVERNOTE that I use it since the beginning. 

Since I am not the only one to have this problem, I expect Evernote to fix it as soon as possible.

Tomanest

• 1 month later...

There are multiple threads along the same theme. I just want to say I share the same level of disappointment with many here, to the point that I'm almost ready to not cut and paste but to cut and run to another system.

• 1 month later...

My system (2013 MacBook Pro 15, Sierra, Chrome, Evernote Mac client) today ceased supporting paste of text copied from notes in the Evernote client application. I found that I can, however, paste text copied from notes in my Evernote web interface. 

Obviously, if evernote.com wants to retain customers who use Evernote as part of a research-to-publishing workflow, they need to fix this client glitch pronto.

Archived