High RAM Usage: Is there a way to reduce RAM usage?

mtbgreg

Idea

Hi folks, I'm experiencing very high RAM usage with Evernote. I'm on an early 2011 Macbook Pro 13" and Evernote is using about 1.7 gigabytes (yes, you read that right) of RAM. This is a serious issue as I only have 4gb of RAM available. 

Does anyone know a way to reduce Evernote's RAM usage, or even a reason why it could be using so much RAM?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide!

-Greg

Update: The 1.7gb was after computer startup in the morning, and Evernote opens automatically when I boot up. I manually shut Evernote down and reopened it, and now it's only using about 90mb of RAM. Does anyone have any ideas why it got as high as 1.7gb? Is it simply because I never close the program manually, only when the computer shuts down?

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Update: The 1.7gb was after computer startup in the morning, and Evernote opens automatically when I boot up. I manually shut Evernote down and reopened it, and now it's only using about 90mb of RAM. Does anyone have any ideas why it got as high as 1.7gb? Is it simply because I never close the program manually, only when the computer shuts down?

As you noted, using 1.7GB of RAM is very unusual.   Since Evernote auto-opened right at startup it is hard to say what might have caused this.  Perhaps EN was trying to sync a lot of notes -- I really don't know.

I recommend that you do NOT auto-startup apps like Evernote that will try to connect to the Internet often.  Give you Mac a few moments to fully establish all network connections.  I also would recommend against forced quit when your Mac is shutting down.  EN will try to sync before close, and this could cause issues.  Best to start/stop Evernote manually.

Bottom line:  Don't worry about it unless it reoccurs often.

I have seen high RAM usage right after an Evernote update, when EN was rebuilding indexes and other files.

Good luck, and let's hope you don't see that high RAM usage again.  :)

I recommend that you do NOT auto-startup apps like Evernote that will try to connect to the Internet often.  Give you Mac a few moments to fully establish all network connections.  I also would recommend against forced quit when your Mac is shutting down.  EN will try to sync before close, and this could cause issues.  Best to start/stop Evernote manually.

Thanks for the response and the recommendation JMichael! While I really like the convenience of Evernote launching on its own, booting up the program manually is a small price to pay for good performance :)

Archived