Table Frustration

ascolletti

Idea

When will we ever get proper tables in Evernote?  This should be core functionality which would dramatically improve the user experience with the product!   Specific issues I'm fighting with include:

- Unable to insert rows to a table created. Note: This is hit or miss at times. Usually works on mac more consistently
- Unable to resize table columns on demand
- Unable to color table rows/columns

My Environment:
Windows 5.8.8.7837 (275837) - Primary
OS X 6.013 (451658 App Store) - Alternate

Workarounds involving jumping between environments should not be acceptable as a workaround.  No one wants to or should have to leave their primary environment, go to an alternate environment, i.e. Web, etc. and then back to their primary environment to simply update a table.

Trust me, I love Evernote and really enjoy working with it despite some core limitation, but seriously, this has type of functionality is far to long coming. 

11 replies to this idea

I feel your pain. There are many other threads in this forum with people complaining about tables in the Evernote client for Windows. I simply do not understand why the Evernote crew has ignored this for so long and doesn't give the users any outlook when improvements are coming (if it's ever coming at all).

I'm slowly switching to Microsoft OneNote because it has so many more easy ways to format your notes, including tables. Perhaps in time I will leave Evernote all together. Hopefully improvements to the Windows client comes soon so that saying goodbye won't be necessary.

• Level 5*

You can do items one and two with the current release. right click in the table to insert a rows, grab a column edge to change column width, grab the edge of the table to change table width.  No coloring of rows though, unless you change the text color.

• Level 5*

When will we ever get proper tables in Evernote?  This should be core functionality which would dramatically improve the user experience with the product!   Specific issues I'm fighting with include:

- Unable to insert rows to a table created. Note: This is hit or miss at times. Usually works on mac more consistently
- Unable to resize table columns on demand
- Unable to color table rows/columns

My Environment:
Windows 5.8.8.7837 (275837) - Primary
OS X 6.013 (451658 App Store) - Alternate

The latest version of EN Mac, 6.0.15, seems to have fixed a number of the table issues.

I was able to do all that you mentioned:

1. Insert rows
  2. Resize columns
  3. Set background color of a row

Having said that, table layout and formatting still need a lot of work in Evernote.

I still start with MS Word to design anything other than very simple tables.  Fortunately, the copy/paste from Word to Evernote has been fixed (broke in Ver .13).

• Level 5*

Please also give me the option to add borders to my table if I wish to do so. It is not easy to tell where the last row of the table ends and the following text begins.

• Level 5*

@csihilling, thank you. I realized that the "problem" is not with tables that I insert, but with tables that come from other web pages. I guess the work-around is to add border="1" in the enex file - unfortunately, the change shows up on the iOS version, and the web version, but has not yet sync'ed to the desktop version (neither have other changes to the text, but tags did sync). I have tried syncing several times, too. Would be nice if Evernote could detect when there are borders and add them, or allow the user to add or remove them within the desktop version.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, FactMan said:

@csihilling, thank you. I realized that the "problem" is not with tables that I insert, but with tables that come from other web pages. I guess the work-around is to add border="1" in the enex file - unfortunately, the change shows up on the iOS version, and the web version, but has not yet sync'ed to the desktop version (neither have other changes to the text, but tags did sync). I have tried syncing several times, too. Would be nice if Evernote could detect when there are borders and add them, or allow the user to add or remove them within the desktop version.

Whenever I've made any table changes I have done them with ENML  They seem to sync to the Windows desktop.

• Level 5*

Sorry for the delayed response. Yeah, that's the behavior I expected, but it doesn't work - even after a very busy week and being out of town for the last couple of days. Almost as if there is a cache somewhere that is preventing the code from syncing. It is showing up correctly in the history file on the desktop version, but not on the displayed version.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this issue further would be much appreciated. Looks like it might be a "feature" of my particular set-up?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, FactMan said:

It is showing up correctly in the history file on the desktop version, but not on the displayed version.

Not sure I understand this.

• Level 5*
58 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Not sure I understand this.

Eureka! I figured it out. My knowledge of HTML as implemented by Evernote was lacking: the code I needed was to replace table tags with

<table style="width: 100%; table-layout: fixed; border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0)">
   <tr>
    <td style="width: 100%; table-layout: fixed; border: 1px solid rgb(0, 0, 0)">

Obviously, for the individual cells, only the td code needs to be inserted.

Hope this helps someone else!

Archived