SalesForce integration with Basic Evernote

RoxanneJ

Does anyone know how to integrate Evernote Basic with SalesForce?  Most of the documentation I find tries to get the user to upgrade to Evernote Business, but then I have seen other information that indicates that it should be possible to integrate the basic version of Evernote with SalesForce (ex: https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23258452). We have an "Evernote Admin" tab, but all that says is You've successfully installed the managed package." and (again) tries to get us to sign up for Evernote Business.  We have checked the Page Layouts for Accounts, Contacts and Opportunities and are unable to find any Evernote fields to add.  Under the profiles we have set up, we also have Evernote for SalesForce.com checked under Custom App Settings, and still nothing appears for us to add an Evernote section to any of our pages.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Level 5*

It should work with a non-business edition, according to this KB article; and based on my technical knowledge of the Evernote for Salesforce integration (which is quite deep), I can't see why it wouldn't work for a non-business account.

Have you followed the steps in the Installation Guide?  In particular, what happens when you go to customize a page layout as specified in Step 3?

• Level 5*

It should work with a non-business edition, according to this KB article; and based on my technical knowledge of the Evernote for Salesforce integration (which is quite deep), I can't see why it wouldn't work for a non-business account.

Have you followed the steps in the Installation Guide?  In particular, what happens when you go to customize a page layout as specified in Step 3?

@Phil:

Thanks for stepping in with the facts to clarify the previous erroneous assumption.  This is very helpful.

Just to reinforce your statement, below is a quote from the Installation Guide link that you posted, which makes it clear that you can use either the personal or business version of Evernote with SalesForce.

Step 1. Get Evernote or Evernote Business

Evernote is the ultimate companion for Salesforce. It provides you with a full picture of your
customer relationships. Store notes, links, or any other documents.
Get Evernote and you’ll be able to see and link your Evernote notes in Salesforce.

Evernote Business users can also collaborate and share notes with their entire team
  • Level 5*

Thanks, JMichael.  Also, to elaborate even more, I just realized that pages 16 and 17 of the Installation Guide contain specific reference on how to connect in both personal and Business environments.

Thank you Phils!  That was incredibly helpful and I was able to add an Evernote section to our Contacts, Accounts, and Opportunities pages.  Thanks again!

One more related question - as Evernote Basic users, is there any way to see notes that other users have linked within SalesForce?  We were under the impression that if you "shared" a note or notebook within Evernote itself, that you would be able to see those notes within SalesForce if another user linked them to an Account/Contact/Opportunity, but from this Installation and Administration Guide, it looks like only Evernote Business users can see other users' notes, regardless of whether a note or notebook has been shared with them within SalesForce.  Thank you in advance for your assistance!

• Level 5*

Great, glad you got things going!

I haven't tried linking a shared-but-not-Business note, but from what I know of the underlying architecture, I would think a user could see another user's linked notes in Salesforce if those notes were shared in Evernote with the viewing user.  Did you try it and it doesn't work?  I would definitely recommend trying it if you haven't yet.  Let us know how that experiment goes.

We did test it out and, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working.  I have multiple notes/notebooks shared with coworkers, and when I go into the Evernote section in SalesForce, I can't see any of the notes that they have shared with me, and if I attach a note that I have shared with a coworker, they still can't see it in SalesForce.  I was hoping someone knew of a way to change some settings or permissions for these shared notes to be viewable in SalesForce for all the users that are able to view them within Evernote, but it doesn't seem like it's going to work that way.  If anyone knows of a way to do this, please let me know!

• Level 5*

Well it was worth a try, sorry to hear it didn't work. Now that I think more about it, it makes sense that it wouldn't work. In a Business setting, when you link a note in Salesforce, there's a special internal flag that gets set on the note, which tells the Salesforce integration to display the note for any member of that business. But that only applies to notes stored in Business notebooks, not personal.  So you'd really need to upgrade to Evernote Business to see others' notes in Salesforce.

Archived