Evernote is no longer honoring the original image format while pasting from clipboard

magnetoms

Idea

Hello,

I am hoping someone from development sees this. Currently we are facing a problem that is affecting our workflow a lot. :(

We normally need to copy a lot of images from the browser and paste them from the clipboard into Evernote. But recently ( I am not sure from which update exactly), whenever I paste an image from the clipboard Evernote converts it into a PNG and then pastes it into the note. The source format (which could be JPG or GIF) is not honored by Evernote. There are, of course, workarounds like saving the image to desktop and then dragging it to Evernote which would work but these end up being time consuming for us. 

I tried contacting support (Ticket #1090254) but to my amazement I was told that this was by design. If you want to standardize all incoming clipboard images into a single format, can you at least give us an option in the settings to toggle this on or off? Would really appreciate if someone could consider this.

Thanks!

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi. If you already had an 'official' answer from Evernote,  I'm not sure what this user forum can help you with.  Everything attached to an Evernote note gets collapsed into a format that can be synced with their central servers,  and their focus is on syncing speed and the reliability of recovery - there's no mention anywhere about restoring a file in the same format - or even the same resolution - as an original clip.  Making more formats available might mean they have to build in a reverse conversion from PNG to another format,  and without a large number of customers requesting that facility I don't see them being too keen to invest time and effort in recoding something that is -presumably- working well for them at present.

I don't use Evernote for 'production' pictures - my interest is photographs,  and there are many good photo management options online.  Plus if I add an 12MP pic to my note I don't know whether Evernote will give me a genuine 4,000 x 3,000 pixel picture back.  (No disrespect guys,  but I'd want to test it out...)

Meantime you might want to check out Evernote's browser clipper and any other ways available on your system to copy images from the web page.  The fact that your Mac's clipboard produces PNG graphics when interfacing with a note doesn't necessarily mean that all software behaves the same way - it's worth a few checks anyway.

If that doesn't work the only thing I can suggest in your use case is a work-around using the cloud storage option of your choice (Dropbox etc) to store the original pics,  with links back to Evernote.  If you add a note for each web page and clip the page to Evernote,  the content will be searchable.  If you also paste the internal URLs of the pic originals in your cloud storage to the same note,  you can recover a JPG version when you need it.  Beware though that many web pics will already be saved as PNGs which is a web standard format...

This may actually be a bug.  I'm seeing inconsistent drag and drop results in Chrome, Safari and Firefox when trying to drag and drop a jpg or gif image into a new note. I'm filing a ticket with our dev team to investigate further.

In the meantime, you can drag and drop to your desktop first, then drag the images into an Evernote note. This seems to work consistently and retains the originating file format.

• Level 5*

Hi. If you already had an 'official' answer from Evernote,  I'm not sure what this user forum can help you with.  Everything attached to an Evernote note gets collapsed into a format that can be synced with their central servers,  and their focus is on syncing speed and the reliability of recovery - there's no mention anywhere about restoring a file in the same format - or even the same resolution - as an original clip.  Making more formats available might mean they have to build in a reverse conversion from PNG to another format,  and without a large number of customers requesting that facility I don't see them being too keen to invest time and effort in recoding something that is -presumably- working well for them at present.

@Gaz:  Sorry, but your statement is so full of inaccuracies, assumptions, and flawed logic that I cannot let it stand lest it confuse and mislead other readers, now and in the future.

First, everyone should know that your are not an Evernote employee, and do not have any special knowledge of how Evernote works internally that has not been made publicly available.

1.  Everything attached to an Evernote note gets collapsed into a format that can be synced with their central servers,  and their focus is on syncing speed and the reliability of recovery

• I don't know what you mean by "collapsed", but a well-accepted standard is that all data (files) must be maintained 100% as they were submitted by the user regardless of any compression that the service might employ. This includes all files, and a image attached to a Note is a file.
  • The first focus for any data service is data integrity, then security, then speed of sync.
  • If we as users cannot rely on Evernote to provide our files back to us exactly as we submitted them, then I can't image why anyone would use Evernote

2.  there's no mention anywhere about restoring a file in the same format - or even the same resolution - as an original clip

• This is ridiculous.
  • There is a large difference in the resolution and quality of the various image formats.
  • The general expectation would be that all images are maintained in exactly the same type and resolution as submitted by the user, UNLESS the service provider (Evernote) explicitly states that it may change the the image.
  • I have never seen any statements by Evernote that even suggest that they change the image type or resolution when submitted as a Note attachment.

3.  Making more formats available might mean they have to build in a reverse conversion from PNG to another format,

• Again, this is ridiculous.
  • Evernote accepts the format of any file that is attached to a Note, and does NOT alter it intentionally.  Of course, there may be bugs which cause this, as is being posted by the OP.
  • They do NOT try to convert, for example, all word processing documents to .docx
  • They do NOT, and there is no need to, convert image files of GIF, JPG, or other, to PNG format, intentionally.
  • All common image file formats are easily displayed, and converting to PNG would not achieve anything, except probably making the file larger.
  • There is no need to convert an image file format just to store it.  It can be compressed and uncompressed (like like .zip works) without losing any of the data in the file.

4.  without a large number of customers requesting that facility I don't see them being too keen to invest time and effort in recoding something that is -presumably- working well for them at present

• Again, you have no knowledge of the internal workings of Evernote, including what their customers are requesting, nor how Evernote makes decisions.

@Gaz:  Please refrain from making statements about how Evernote works internally, and how they make decisions.  These type of statements serve no purpose than to confuse and  mislead other readers.

• Level 5*

@JM - since the query was pretty much resolved by a real Evernote employee a couple of hours earlier in comment #3,  It's a shame you wasted so much of your time scrutinizing my post so closely for errors in #4.  I leave quite a few Mac posts that I can't help with - maybe you could help those users in your free time.

You managed to leap to an impressive number of detailed and frequently mistaken conclusions about what I meant or understand,  which will,  in turn,  likely confuse anyone reading this thread even further.  However since my telling you your errors,  and you then telling me about mine,  will hijack this thread even further off topic,  I'm going to ignore it.  Do have a nice day.

• Level 5*

@JM - since the query was pretty much resolved by a real Evernote employee a couple of hours earlier in comment #3,  . . .

Yes, and the post by Evernote employee @briancaldwell clearly refutes the errors in your post about Evernote changing image file formats on purpose.

Regardless of your rebuttal, you were clearly wrong about what Evernote does.  It's clear for all to see.

This may actually be a bug.  I'm seeing inconsistent drag and drop results in Chrome, Safari and Firefox when trying to drag and drop a jpg or gif image into a new note. I'm filing a ticket with our dev team to investigate further.

In the meantime, you can drag and drop to your desktop first, then drag the images into an Evernote note. This seems to work consistently and retains the originating file format.

@briancaldwell: Thank you so much  for reporting this as a bug. Hope to see this fixed soon! :)

@JMichael: Your post was quite valuable for me and sums up a lot of my original concerns in an eloquent way. Thanks for spending the time!

Archived